Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 12:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gir Forest - rendezevous with the Lion King

The main statement is "once it arrives". So, when is it arriving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

Looks like you are already planning to fully utilize Bull-II once it arrives! My answers inline...
My response:

19th April - The morning safari ends at 9 am and even if I leave by 9:30 can reach by 10:30 or 10:45. The idea is to see the Temple & its surroundings in daylight because on 18th when I reach it shall already be evening. Have lunch in Somanth and come back for the evening safari.

Quote:

19th April

Morning safari and then again to Somnath for the morning aarti and back for the evening safari.

What time is the morning aarti at Somnath? If you do the morning safari at Gir, it would be noon by the time you reach Somnath - and IIRC the temple is closed for some time in the afternoon.
There is a slight change in itinerary now. I intend to leave Dwarka and head for Jamnagar instead of coming back to Sasan. Stay overnight there.

22nd April

Leave early in the morning to catch the avians at Khijadiya. Leave Khijadiya by 9 am and head towards Zainabad to Little Rann. Spend as much time as possible there and then leave for Ahmedabad and break journey there or push a little more and stay at Vadodara.

Quote:

21st April

To Dwaraka and back and visit Porbandar enroute. (possible?)

Sasan to Dwarka and Beyt Dwarka would take the whole day, including the journey and darshan at both places. A stopover at Porbandar would add at least 2 hours to your schedule. By the time you get back to Sasan, it would be late evening, and you may face difficulties in getting to Sasan when passing the forest checkpost.
23rd April

In Vadodara meet my 87 year old school Principal, pay my respects, have lunch with him and head towards Daman. Stay overnight there and on 24th as well.

Quote:

The confusion starts now. I want to do Diu, Chhota Rann & the Khijariya Bird Sanctuary and then reach Daman in time for lunch on the 25th.

After lunch in Daman would head for Mumbai as I've functions to attend on 25th & 26th.

No way. Sasan to Daman is at least 7-8 hours, including the Narmada Bridge crossing which might hold you up for longer than you expect. You can expect to reach Daman onl in the late afternoon/evening even if you leave Sasan around 6-7 am.
25th April

Leave Daman & reach Mumbai and stay there to attend functions & wedding on 26th.

Quote:

27th I would rest in Mumbai and then plan to head south (Bangalore) sometime in the early morning of 28th hoping to reach the same day and return to Gurgaon on 5th/6th after covering Ranganthittu, Mysore, Nanjangud, Kabini & Bandipur.

1000km from Mumbai to Bangalore - push hard and you can do it in 12-14 hours, otherwise 15 hours is a more reasonable time.

Also please suggest basic lodging options (Ac room & western bath) for a couple with extra bed.
Everywhere except Daman & Mumbai..

Quote:

Where?
Now the plan is clear Hitanshu, as you can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

You can drive through little rann on the way (search my old posts) to Abad from ajmer. Unless u wanna meet someone, abad is a bit of a diversion. Drive farther towards gir from viramgam itself. hotels will have to see. what level of hotel do u want? can check with friends there.

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th February 2012 at 13:03.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The main statement is "once it arrives". So, when is it arriving?
I hope to receive some response to the email which was Bcc'ed to you yesterday. Should arrive before April most certainly!

Quote:
19th April - The morning safari ends at 9 am and even if I leave by 9:30 can reach by 10:30 or 10:45. The idea is to see the Temple & its surroundings in daylight because on 18th when I reach it shall already be evening. Have lunch in Somanth and come back for the evening safari.
AFAI remember the morning aarti is sometime around 9 am, but I might be wrong. The surroundings of the temple are most certainly enjoyable, except for a fishy smell wafting across from Veraval depending on the direction of the wind.

Quote:
There is a slight change in itinerary now. I intend to leave Dwarka and head for Jamnagar instead of coming back to Sasan. Stay overnight there.
Try Hotel President in Jamnagar (Hotel President, Jamnagar).

Quote:
22nd April

Leave early in the morning to catch the avians at Khijadiya. Leave Khijadiya by 9 am and head towards Zainabad to Little Rann. Spend as much time as possible there and then leave for Ahmedabad and break journey there or push a little more and stay at Vadodara.

23rd April
In Vadodara meet my 87 year old school Principal, pay my respects, have lunch with him and head towards Daman. Stay overnight there and on 24th as well.
This looks more doable. Enjoy chicken bullets at Daman. Try a quick trip to Silvassa on 24th if you feel like it.

Quote:
Everywhere except Daman & Mumbai..
Sinh Sadan at Sasan Gir would be THE place - ask the guide to confirm the reservation personally once you remit payment. Jamnagar - mentioned already. Ahmedabad & Vadodara I think Ramky would be in a better position to tell. No idea about places in / beyond Bangalore - other members should pitch in if you start a fresh thread asking for accommodation info for Ranganthittu, Mysore, Nanjangud, Kabini & Bandipur.
Old 9th February 2012, 12:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

My quick response from where we discussed yesterday:

Leave Gir in the morning , 5 AM, 200+ kms, 3 hours straight run to Dwaraka, (if you go not get mired in clicking migratory birds on the way, big chance you'd see 1000's of them on the way), Temle visit 8 AM, 9 AM quick visit to Rukhmani ttemple on the way to Okha, leave for OKHA, leave car there, take boat to Bed Dwarak and back to pick up car by about 11-12 Noon lunch, visit to

Nageshvara Jyotirlinga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

reach Jamnagar around 4 PM, about 120 kms, 4 track, 1 hour drive, check in Hotel President, Mr. Mustak (good friend of mine), 0288 2557491, info@hotelpresident.in, Hotel President, Jamnagar

Fix with Mustq for visit to Khajidaya bird sanctuary for sunset, finish that, stay at Jammagar. You get very good non-veg food at President.

Tight and doable only if you leave early from Gir.

Next day early morning (they would tell you time based on tide) leave for Narara marine walk, take permit, naturalist from President, finish that by 12 noon, have lunch and drive to Baroda. If you start around 3-4 PM, you would be able to reach Baroda by 8-9 PM. After Bagodara, there's a turn off on the right side towards Baroda, if you touch A'bad around 6 PM, you'd get mired in traffic around Sarkhej / ring road, best to avoid it. Will update you exact route later.

Would strongly suggest to skip Little Raan, not much for the family, only good for photographers, birdies etc., at a later date you can do the whole of Bhuj and Great Raan with white desert.

Attaching herewith 2 logs for distances. My log to Dwaraka/ Somnath is dated, the roads have become 4 track all the way to Dwaraka and from Dwaraka to Somnath good. The recent Jamnagar trip would give you an idea about Narara and Kjijadiya.

Linky to facebook
Facebook

Ramky

======
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A'bad-Dwaraka-Somnath-A'bad2005.pdf (17.6 KB, 549 views)
File Type: xlsx A'bad- Jamnagar-A'bad - JAN 2011.xlsx (45.8 KB, 368 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th February 2012 at 12:35.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 17:49   #19
BHPian

When coming to Daman take this route,

go to bharuch city from NH-8 -> take golden bridge to cross Narmada river -> Ankleshwar -> again back to NH -8. This will save your lot of time.
kunaldhami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 19:44   #20
BHPian

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I need help on routes to take from Ahmedabad to Sasan Gir. We have booked rooms at Sinh Sadan guest house for 18th/19th Feb. I would be travelling in my Etios with family and friend. Google maps shows that I can take either of the following routes:
Route 1: Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Botad (SH38) -->Gadhada (SH 21)--> Amreli --> Bagasara --Sasan Gir.
Route 2: Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Ranpur(SH38) -->Jasdan (SH 1)--> Kunkawav --> Bagasara --Sasan Gir.

Route 3:Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Rajkot (NH8A) -->Jetpur (SH 27)--> Junagadh (SH31) --> (SH26) --Sasan Gir.

Which route would be the best to take? My thinking is to go via route 3 which is longer but with good roads. Also considering 7 hours drive, what would be the best places to stop for break. I am planning to have breaks at 2-3 hrs interval considering small kids (I have a 1.5 yr old and my friend's son is about 4 yr old).
Old 10th February 2012, 22:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I need help on routes to take from Ahmedabad to Sasan Gir. We have booked rooms at Sinh Sadan guest house for 18th/19th Feb. I would be travelling in my Etios with family and friend. Google maps shows that I can take either of the following routes:
Route 1: Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Botad (SH38) -->Gadhada (SH 21)--> Amreli --> Bagasara --Sasan Gir.
Route 2: Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Ranpur(SH38) -->Jasdan (SH 1)--> Kunkawav --> Bagasara --Sasan Gir.

Route 3:Ahmedabad (Bopal-SP Ring Road) --> Limdi (NH8A) -->Rajkot (NH8A) -->Jetpur (SH 27)--> Junagadh (SH31) --> (SH26) --Sasan Gir.

Which route would be the best to take? My thinking is to go via route 3 which is longer but with good roads. Also considering 7 hours drive, what would be the best places to stop for break. I am planning to have breaks at 2-3 hrs interval considering small kids (I have a 1.5 yr old and my friend's son is about 4 yr old).
Through Rajkoat would be the best option and fastest, A'bad-Rajkoat can be done under 3 hours if you start early morning, if late 3 hours. From there taking into account breaks could be another 3 hours, the roads have become much better from Rajkoat-Junagadh-Gir.

There are lots of eating joints all along the way on the highway. If you start by 5-6 AM, you can take a break before Rajkoat and then at Junagadh. Tie up bookings, rates and inclusions before you leave, weekends would be crowded.

Wish you a great trip.

--Ramky
======
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 11:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

My itinerary is almost finalised with inputs from Ramky, that helped a lot.

April 17th to May 6th 2012 - Itinerary

17th April – Gurgaon to Ajmer (370 Kms)

Departure Gurgaon: 03:00 am

Arrival Ajmer: Approx 8 or 9 am

Dargah darshan – 1 to 1.5 hrs.

17th April – Ajmer to Ahmedabad (560 Kms)

Departure Ajmer: 11:00 am

Arrival Ahmedabad: Approx 10 pm

Overnight stay (Ramky, require staying options - 2 basic ac rooms)

18th April – Ahmedabad to Gir Forest (370 Kms)

Departure Ahmedabad: 07:00 am

Arrival Gir: Approx 1 pm

Afternoon Safari – 3 pm to 6 pm.

Freshen up and leave for Somnath (54 Kms) for evening aarti

Come back, have dinner and rest.

19th April – Gir Forest

Morning Safari – 6 to 9 am

Back, freshen-up & go to Somnath

Come back by 1 pm, have lunch & evening Safari 3 to 6 pm

20th April – Gir Forest

Back & rest

Evening Safari 3 to 6 pm

21st April – Gir Forest to Dwarka (280 Kms)

Departure Gir: 5 am

Arrival Dwarka: 8 am

Darshan, Rukmini Temple, Bet Dwarka & lunch by 12 pm.

21st April – Dwarka, Nageshwar Jyotirling to Jamnagar (180 Kms)

Departure Dwarka: 1 pm

Arrival Nageshwar: 1:15 pm

Darshan

Departure Nageshwar: 2 pm

Arrival Jamnagar: 4 pm.

Visit to Khijadiya Bird Sanctuary

Overnight stay. (Hotel President)

22nd April – Jamnagar to Baroda (420 Kms)

Visit to Narara Marine park early morning depending on tide

Departure Jamnagar: 2 pm

Arrival Baroda: 8 pm

Overnight stay

22nd April – Baroda to Daman (250 Kms)

Planning to visit Chhayaji - my former school principal (optional)

If I don't visit him then

Departure Baroda: 8 am

Arrival Daman: 12 pm (subject to Narmada Bridge)

Overnight stay

23rd April – Daman

Full day sight-seeing/lazing around

Overnight stay

24th April – Daman to Mumbai (175 Kms)

Departure Daman: 2 pm (after lunch)

Arrival Mumbai: 5 pm (subject to Surat bottleneck)

Overnight stay

25th April – Mumbai

Wedding celebrations

Overnight stay

26th April – Mumbai

Wedding in the evening

Overnight stay

27th April – Mumbai

Rest

Overnight stay

28th April – Mumbai to Bhimashankar (215 Kms)

Departure Mumbai: 5 am

Arrival Bhimashankar: 9 am

Jyotirlinga darshan

Departure to Aurangabad (280 Kms): 11 am

Arrival: 6 pm.

Overnight stay

29th April – Ellora (30 Kms)

Departure Aurangabad: 5 am

Arrival Grishneshwar: 5:30 am

Jyotirlinga darshan

Ajanta-Ellora caves: 8 am

Departure Ellora to Shirdi (105 Kms): 12 pm.

Arrival Shirdi: 2 pm

Sai Darshan

Departure Shirdi to Trayambakeshwar (Nashik) (120 kms): 4 or 5 pm

Arrival Nashik: 7 or 8 pm

Overnight stay

30th April – Trayambakeshwar (30 kms)

Departure Nashik: 5 am

Arrival Trayambakeshwar: 5:30 am

Jyotirlinga darshan

Departure to Mumbai (180 Kms): 8 am

Arrival: 12 pm.

Overnight stay

p.s. If I manage to have a darshan at Trayambakeshwar on 29th evening itself, then shall leave for Mumbai on the 30th morning.

Please pick holes, suggest & tune-up this itinerary. All inputs & information related to the above places, specifically about staying & eating options are welcome. We are omnivorous. Also don't suggest any other religious place as I feel bad saying no.
Old 25th February 2012, 12:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Arrival Mumbai: 5 pm (subject to Surat bottleneck)
Surat Bottleneck ??? You may face this between baroda to daman, not between Daman and Mumbai . You may face some traffic issues at Vapi and also once you enter Virar, otherwise it should be smooth.

Last edited by Vasuki : 25th February 2012 at 12:26.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 02:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

17th April – Ajmer to Ahmedabad (560 Kms)

Departure Ajmer: 11:00 am

Arrival Ahmedabad: Approx 10 pm

Overnight stay (Ramky, require staying options - 2 basic ac rooms)

Also don't suggest any other religious place as I feel bad saying no.
Consider Ahmedabad stay taken care of. Will let you know hotels soon.

On 22nd, you'd have to walk on the sea bed of Narara, about 4-5 KMs, could be very tiring and you'd have to drive to Baroda same day. Take good beach sandals, the ones which can be fastened, no loose ones for corals / sharp objects on the sea bed would cut feet. You'd have to walk on water most of the way, shorts would be ideal as April would be hot enough. If you get your shoes / pant / jeans bottoms wet it would be inconvenient. You'd need sun block, sun glasses and hats too.

Plan looks too good to be true, so many Jyothirlings in one stretch!!! On weekends and special days Bhimashankar and Thriyambakeshwer can be a gamble, there could be 3 hour lines.

I have tried Thriyamb twice already, not been able to see due to heavy crowds, both times were were told it could be 3-4 hours, so we left it for another day. The Shirdi crowd lands up here also as it's on the way to Mumbay and around.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th February 2012 at 02:39.
Old 26th February 2012, 08:16   #25
v&v
Senior - BHPian

GD Bhai, some suggestions

Quote:
Departure Gurgaon: 03:00 am
Arrival Ajmer: Approx 8 or 9 am
We stayed at RTDC Hotel Khadim. it near to dargah.

Quote:
Departure Ahmedabad: 07:00 am
IMO will be tight. Start little early. Ahmd - Rajkot has high truck traffic during day. Also from Junagadh - Gir, roads are average , undivided and high local traffic.

Quote:
Narara Marine park
Narara will require lots of waking and will need half a day. April will be Hot. So plan accordingly. Photographic paradise.

Quote:
Departure Gir: 5 am
Arrival Dwarka: 8 am
Not possible. Minimum 6 hours required.

Quote:
Will be very crowded, best time for darshan is around 12 - 2 pm. I was told morning and evenings are very crowded.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

My comments on bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
GD Bhai, some suggestions

IMO will be tight. Start little early. Ahmd - Rajkot has high truck traffic during day. Also from Junagadh - Gir, roads are average , undivided and high local traffic.

If you start early from A'bad (on 22nd night we started at 11 PM from Ahmedabad to Bhuj, the turn off to Bhuj is almost near Rajkoat, we did that in 2.5 hours ) Rajkot is 3 Hrs drive and about 3 to 3.5 hrs drive from there to Gir. My son and friends did Rajkot- Gir last month in a Tavera Taxi with 2 chai stops in 4 hours. If GD stops for photos, then all bets are off on timings

This would be a tight drive for sure. Knowing GD and the wonderful route to Dwaraka and high probability of migratory birds all along the way, timings are bound to go wacky.
Coupled with this if there are crowds at Dwaraka temple..... some items would need cutting and shaving here.

............... I was told morning and evenings are very crowded.
Old 26th February 2012, 12:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Gremlins, Gremlins & Gremlins. Slowly they have started raising their heads - one-by-one..

I am not staying at Ajmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post

We stayed at RTDC Hotel Khadim. it near to dargah.

Narara will require lots of waking and will need half a day. April will be Hot. So plan accordingly. Photographic paradise.

Gir-Dwarka

Somanth will be very crowded, best time for darshan is around 12 - 2 pm. I was told morning and evenings are very crowded.
Thank you Ramky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

Consider Ahmedabad stay taken care of. Will let you know hotels soon.

On 22nd, you'd have to walk on the sea bed of Narara, about 4-5 KMs, could be very tiring and you'd have to drive to Baroda same day. Take good beach sandals, the ones which can be fastened, no loose ones for corals / sharp objects on the sea bed would cut feet. You'd have to walk on water most of the way, shorts would be ideal as April would be hot enough. If you get your shoes / pant / jeans bottoms wet it would be inconvenient. You'd need sun block, sun glasses and hats too.

Plan looks too good to be true, so many Jyothirlings in one stretch!!! On weekends and special days Bhimashankar and Thriyambakeshwer can be a gamble, there could be 3 hour lines.

--Ramky
======
A very loaded statement indeed...

Quote:

This would be a tight drive for sure. Knowing GD and the wonderful route to Dwaraka and high probability of migratory birds all along the way, timings are bound to go wacky. Coupled with this if there are crowds at Dwaraka temple.....
Please suggest and use the scissors lovingly & sparingly.

Quote:

some items would need cutting and shaving here.
Old 26th February 2012, 15:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Trying my hand with the blade... and paste.

Quote:

April 17th to May 6th 2012 - Itinerary

17th AprilGurgaon to Ahmedabad

Arrival Ahmedabad: Approx 6 pm - Dinner @ Vishala or Agasia (requires prior boooking)

Overnight stay @ Ahhmedabad

18th April – Ahmedabad to Gir Forest (370 Kms)

Departure Ahmedabad: 05:00 am

Giving time for possible stops to do some interesting shooting on the way.

Afternoon Safari – 3 pm to 6 pm.

Come back, have dinner and rest.

19th April – Gir Forest

Back, freshen-up & go to Somnath

Come back by 1 pm, have lunch & evening Safari 3 to 6 pm

20th April – Gir Forest

Back & rest - post lunch start around 2 PM.

Gir forest to Dwaraka - Easy drive, stop for shooting the sea on the left side, probable migratory birds
, arrive around 9-10 PM

21st April

Early morning Darshan, do the following nice and easy:

Darshan, Rukmini Temple, Bet Dwarka & lunch by 12 pm.

21st April – Dwarka, Nageshwar Jyotirling to Jamnagar (180 Kms)

Departure Dwarka: 1 pm

Arrival Nageshwar: 1:15 pm

Darshan

Departure Nageshwar: 2 pm

Arrival Jamnagar: 4 pm.

Visit to Khijadiya Bird Sanctuary

Overnight stay. (Hotel President)

22nd April – Jamnagar to Baroda (420 Kms)

Visit to Narara Marine park early morning depending on tide

Departure Jamnagar: 2 pm

Arrival Baroda: 8 - 9 pm

Overnight stay

22nd April – Baroda to Daman (250 Kms)

Planning to visit Chhayaji - my former school principal (optional)

If I don't visit him then

Departure Baroda: 8 am

Arrival Daman: 12 pm - subject to Narmada Bridge - recently a friend too it, there was a 40 minute block, HVK took it a couple of days back but used the Golden Bridge, no block but slow traffic.

Overnight stay

23rd April – Daman

Full day sight-seeing/lazing around

Overnight stay

Arrival Mumbai: 5 pm (subject to Surat bottleneck) No worries, all the time to reach late too.

Overnight stay

25th April – Mumbai

Wedding celebrations

Overnight stay

26th April – Mumbai

Wedding in the evening

Overnight stay

27th April – Mumbai

Rest

Overnight stay

28th April – Mumbai to Bhimashankar (215 Kms)

Departure Mumbai: 5 am

Arrival Bhimashankar: 9 am - Tuesday likely NOT to have crowds.

Jyotirlinga darshan

Departure to Aurangabad (280 Kms): 11 am

Arrival: 6 pm.

Overnight stay

29th April – Ellora (30 Kms)

Departure Aurangabad: 5 am

Arrival Grishneshwar: 5:30 am

Jyotirlinga darshan

Ajanta-Ellora caves: 8 am

Departure Ellora to Shirdi (105 Kms): 12 pm.

Arrival Shirdi: 2 pm - lucky man to be arriving on a week day, I would not visit Shirdi on week ends.

Sai Darshan

Departure Shirdi to Trayambakeshwar (Nashik) (120 kms): 4 or 5 pm

Arrival Nashik: 7 or 8 pm

Best to finish Thriyamb same night.

Overnight stay

30th April – Trayambakeshwar (30 kms)

Departure Nashik: 5 am

Arrival Trayambakeshwar: 5:30 am

Jyotirlinga darshan

Departure to Mumbai (180 Kms): 8 am

Arrival: 12 pm.

Overnight stay

p.s. If I manage to have a darshan at Trayambakeshwar on 29th evening itself, then shall leave for Mumbai on the 30th morning.

Please pick holes, suggest & tune-up this itinerary. All inputs & information related to the above places, specifically about staying & eating options are welcome. We are omnivorous. Also don't suggest any other religious place as I feel bad saying no.
Old 28th February 2012, 21:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

A big question -

Is Gir Sanctuary closed on any day or is open all the 7 days of week? Secondly, is the sanctuary open on National Holidays or not?

I'm asking this because in MP the sanctuaries are closed for evening safaris on Wednesdays.
Old 28th February 2012, 23:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
A big question -

Is Gir Sanctuary closed on any day or is open all the 7 days of week? Secondly, is the sanctuary open on National Holidays or not?

I'm asking this because in MP the sanctuaries are closed for evening safaris on Wednesdays.
I believe that it is open on all days.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks