Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 21:41   #31
BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
There is no restriction for private vehicles. But you would need to inform at the police check post before taking your vehicle.
When did you visit the place? Because in December 2015, I was not allowed past the police check post.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I don't think there is any restriction on private vehicles driving on the ruts/sand.
Remembered our own forum member @ajithkumarlb had taken his Scorpio automatic 4x4 to Dhanushkodi, see his post - here
Also remember reading in another thread that the road is being extended further in towards lands end and about 4-5 Km of it is ready - details here
When I went there sometime mid 2015, the road was almost done. I think the road will be inaugurated soon but you will lose the fun of riding/driving through the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
There is no restriction for private vehicles. But you would need to inform at the police check post before taking your vehicle.
It is advisable to take a local as a guide with you, as it can get quite tricky sometimes.
Last year, I had taken my Scorpio 4WD to land's end. It was me, my wife, my mom and a localite. Although I felt there was no need for 4WD, but to be safe I drove in 4H all along...
Do let me know if you are interested, I can share the contact.
True! having a localite will help. Else take the path taken by the other 4x4 to be on the safe side.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

update!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...anushkodi.html

Guess these threads can be merged.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:12   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
When did you visit the place? Because in December 2015, I was not allowed past the police check post.
I went in Jan 2015. I had a local to accompany me. The 4x4 route is before the police checkpost.
Maybe having local support helped us.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 15:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Any latest updates on Dhanushkodi?

A biking trip is on cards for September second weekend from Kochi. Below is the high-level plan.

Day 1 : Kochi - Mundakkayam - Kumily - Theni - Madurai (294KMs)
Day 2 : Madurai - Rameswaram - Dhanushkodi (207KMs)
Day 3 : Dhanushkodi - Tirunelveli (227KMs)
Day 4 : Tirunelveli - Courtrallam - Punalur - Ranni - Kuravilangad - Kochi (286KMs)

Trip was spread across 4 days since accompanied by pillion and therefore not more than 5-6 hours of riding. Also to cover the places in a relaxed pace.

Madurai - Rameswaram - Dhanushkodi and Rameswaram- Tirunelveli is totally new for me and hence requesting support from you guys.

Last edited by jacs : 16th August 2016 at 15:18.
Old 16th August 2016, 18:39   #36
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Any latest updates on Dhanushkodi?
I'm not aware of latest road conditions but Madurai-Ramanathapuram-Rameswaram has been good mostly.
Kochi-Madurai can be done completely on NH 49 but google suggests an alternative via Rajakumari to rejoin NH 49 later. I'm not too sure about the route options for this segment.

Depending on where you're staying at Madurai, get onto the Madurai airport ring road for Madurai-Rameswaram (Kappalur road) and then take the exit towards NH 49 towards Ramanthapuram. At Ramanathapuram go towards Rameswaram (the other road at the big junction near bus stand is for ECR towards Tuticorin) and you will reach near Pamban Bridge, again I think the roads are just fine.

Dhanuskodi is just about 20Km from Rameswaran and road was good, it is now getting extended more towards lands end and last I heard just a few Km left for work to complete.

For Dhanushkodi-Tirunelveli -> Get back to Rameswaram and then Ramanathapuram. From there you can take ECR and go via Tuticorin to reach Tirunelveli.

Ride safe, have fun

*ECR is a treat to drive on, am sure bikers love it too!

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2016 at 18:41.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 11:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Which is the best route to Rameshwaram from Madurai? Is it through Manamadurai - Paramakudi or via Sivaganga - Thiruvadanai?

Dhanushkodi: Still open to tourists? EDIT: New 9.5 km stretch now opened for traffic!-snap1.gif
Old 26th October 2016, 11:58   #38
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Which is the best route to Rameshwaram from Madurai? Is it through Manamadurai - Paramakudi
Take the route via Paramakudi.
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 14:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Take the route via Paramakudi.
Planning for a Dhanushkodi trip over the weekend (starting on Saturday 3AM), and have decided to take Bangalore- Salem- Dindigul- Madurai- Rameshwaram Route. Can some one throw some light on the road condition from Dindigul- Madura- Rameshwaram?

post that will head to Velankanni and stay there on Saturday and will return back to Bangalore on Sunday.

Awaiting inputs on the stretches by recent travellers
Old 1st February 2017, 14:23   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Planning for a Dhanushkodi trip over the weekend (starting on Saturday 3AM), and have decided to take Bangalore- Salem- Dindigul- Madurai- Rameshwaram Route. Can some one throw some light on the road condition from Dindigul- Madura- Rameshwaram?

post that will head to Velankanni and stay there on Saturday and will return back to Bangalore on Sunday.

You can check my post in the below thread, I took this same route couple of months back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4085920
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 14:34   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can check my post in the below thread, I took this same route couple of months back.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4085920
Thank a lot!!

Hope will get some good seafood eateries near Dhanushkodi/ Rameshwaram on Saturdays?
Old 1st February 2017, 14:56   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank a lot!!

Hope will get some good seafood eateries near Dhanushkodi/ Rameshwaram on Saturdays?
You should be able find in Rameshwaram. We went on diwali day, so most of the hotels were closed.
You can check the below link,
https://seafood-restaurants.cybo.com...d-restaurants/
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 19:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I drove in same route last weekend (25-Jan-2017 to 28-Jan-2017) to Rameswaram. (not Dhanushkodi).
No issues/complaints about roads till Madurai. They are as usual excellent NH7 roads.
Road updates between Madurai to Rameswaram.
In Madurai - Maana Madurai-Paramakudi stretch, road construction is going on actively. It is a mix of good roads and some bad roads with lot of diversions. You can do average speeds because of high traffic and under construction roads. But highly NOT recommended to drive currently after 6 pm. It is indeed dangerous. Beyond Paramakudi, the road conditions improve a bit till Ramanathapuram/Ramnad, but still some places the road construction is going on. Ramnad-Pamban-Rameswaram, excellent roads.

You can budget for 3.5 hours driving time for best case and 4+ hours for heavy traffic conditions.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 1st February 2017 at 19:54.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 19:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I drove in same route last weekend (25-Jan-2017 to 28-Jan-2017) to Rameswaram. (not Dhanushkodi).
No issues/complaints about roads till Madurai. They are as usual excellent NH7 roads.
Road updates between Madurai to Rameswaram.
In Madurai - Maana Madurai-Paramakudi stretch, road construction is going on actively. It is a mix of good roads and some bad roads with lot of diversions. You can do average speeds because of high traffic and under construction roads. But highly NOT recommended to drive currently after 6 pm. It is indeed dangerous. Beyond Paramakudi, the road conditions improve a bit till Ramanathapuram/Ramnad, but still some places the road construction is going on. Ramnad-Pamban-Rameswaram, excellent roads.

You can budget for 3.5 hours driving time for best case and 4+ hours for heavy traffic conditions.

-Ravi
I ll mostly be covering the post Madura stretch in the morning 8AM , so I expect some descent traffic on the road . Anyways thanks on that road update.

Old 1st February 2017, 20:17   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ll mostly be covering the post Madura stretch in the morning 8AM , so I expect some descent traffic on the road . Anyways thanks on that road update.

I started at same time around 8ish in the morning after breakfast. The first 50 kms are very heavy in traffic, so slows you down.
BTW, except for some tea stop, there are no decent restaurants on the way till Rameswaram. I saw one name as Annapoorani or so between Maana Madurai to Paramakudi in left side, but couldn't stop because it was raining very heavily.

I was stuck in Pamban bridge for 1 hour last weekend due to heavy rains and therefore minor accident and idiotic drivers occupying both the lanes without leaving any space/allowing opposite direction traffic. Few police men and voluteers inspite of heavy rains, got down and regulated the traffic.

Just check the weather forecast before you travel.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 1st February 2017 at 20:25.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks