Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2017, 12:07   #181
BANNED

re: The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
But the runway that I saw on ALE is not close to Agra. ALE has 2 runways or only one?

Edit- Just checked it. It's near Raya village that's near Agra.
The latest is just past Kanpur on the Kanpur-Lucknow stretch. One runway or two hardly matters. Remember it is an emergency runway.

http://defenceupdate.in/20-iaf-jets-...lucknow-expr…/
Old 21st October 2017, 08:49   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

The C-130J will also be landing there. Great. I hope we get to see some live action videos and snaps.

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-screenshot_20171021084654.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The C130's may be more interesting. Higher load and longer runway. Even though the latter may not be true due to the C130 short runway capabilities. I am looking forward to it.
Exactly sir. That is what will be most interesting. Earlier it was supposed to be AN-32, now a Hercules. That runway is nearly 3kms long. Let's see how they do it.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 21st October 2017 at 09:08.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 08:59   #183
BANNED

The C130's may be more interesting. Higher load and longer runway. Even though the latter may not be true due to the C130 short runway capabilities. I am looking forward to it.
Old 24th October 2017, 21:26   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Seems that the said expressway would be off limits from October 20 to October 24.

Attachment 1687288
I was on the ALE on Sunday 22nd of October. Did not see any notices, etc about the expressway being closed or any diversion between agra and the NH2 interchange. I also saw tons of vehicles in both the directions.

There was also no signs of the runway anywhere on this stretch.

I also noticed that this time around, the toll plazas were under testing and not free for all like it had been a month back when i came from Kolkata to Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I went through my DashCam footage and checked with the co-ordinates. The runway is nearer to Lucknow than Agra.

Dropped pin

The details of alternative route is here. Traffic movement on Agra-Lucknow will be diverted from October 20-24 for IAF exercise
The TOI article has details of the section of the ALE that was closed. It was only a small section around where they were conducting the exercises.

BTW.. I also fixed the URLs in my quoted post above.

-- no1lives4ever
no1lives4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 23:23   #185
BHPian

I got a chance to drive on the ALE on 21 October as I was travelling from Delhi to Lucknow. Did the trip in 5.3 hours and man it's a breeze to drive there and if you are planning to take that highway then you better keep your food and drinks with you because I didn't even see a single resturtant there.

There was a patch which was being prepared for the drill and only one side was closed and the trafffic was allowed on the other side. They were painting those big marks (which we see at the starting of a runway). And their was a team which was litreally washing the highway with brooms.

But overall it was a nice experience and we should have more highways like these and there was no toll collected. And if you are planning to drive from Lucknow to Moradabad then be prepared to get your body bounce like a ball and your car suspensions will be fully tested. Took me around 9 hours to do 350 km compared to 550 kms in just 5.3 hours from the ALE.

Last edited by Singh09 : 24th October 2017 at 23:24.
Old 25th October 2017, 10:02   #186
BANNED

Yesterday, was treat. Some interesting data. Seems that the Central divider is made removable (plastic), and is removed for operations. There is talk of doing up a few more highways. I am sure some more stuff with come out. In any op there is a primary strip, then there is a secondary and if both are disabled then these 'fall backs' come in.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:15   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

The whole stretch of 302 kms of Agra-Lucknow Expressway will offer free Wi-Fi if the plan of government materializes.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/61661434.cms
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 10:37   #188
BANNED

Fingers crossed. Do our netas benefit from Free WiFi, if not then it becomes a low priority. Today with 4G ubiquitous This may not be as good as thought. Also, thanks to the Jio effect connectivity has become real cheap.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 15:40   #189
BANNED

I for one cannot understand as to why the ALE is still not complete. We need some service areas with decent toilets, and food. Yogiji you may not need food, due we lower mortals do. Also, some fuel bunks.
Old 13th December 2017, 19:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

I intend to drive down to Lucknow from Ghaziabad in a few weeks from now. Will carry my own food as I can see restaurants etc are scarce after exiting YEW.

Is the Yamuna Expressway seamlessly connected to Agra Lucknow expressway while going towards Lucknow?

Is if safe for two people, including a lady?

I don't intend to drive at night and will time myself to enter YEW on the way back before sunset.

Google tells me the distance from my place to my destination is about 550 km and I should take 6 hours. I intend to drive at two digit speeds. It will still be faster than the Shatabdi as I have to leave for the station 1.5 to two hours prior to departure time.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:06   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Is the Yamuna Expressway seamlessly connected to Agra Lucknow expressway while going towards Lucknow?
Yes it is very well connected by inner ring road. You can see this clearly on Google Maps- Satelite view.

Be careful about fog on this highway. There have been numerous reports of accidents due to poor visibility.

While I love to drive, and you may reach earlier on your car, keep in mind Shatabdi would be significantly cheaper too with food, and the breaks you will be taking.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:32   #192
BHPian

Quote:
I intend to drive down to Lucknow from Ghaziabad in a few weeks from now. Will carry my own food as I can see restaurants etc are scarce after exiting YEW.

Yes it is.

Quote:
Is if safe for two people, including a lady?

I don't intend to drive at night and will time myself to enter YEW on the way back before sunset.
yes it is safe and as it is you dont intend to drive in the night which should be ok. The last washroom you will get on this route is after the 3rd and last toll of Yamuna Expressway. So take a break there, as once you hit the Agra Lucknow Expressway you wont find any enroute.

Quote:
Google tells me the distance from my place to my destination is about 550 km and I should take 6 hours. I intend to drive at two digit speeds. It will still be faster than the Shatabdi as I have to leave for the station 1.5 to two hours prior to departure time.
Ideally it would be around 7hrs including the breaks. But at this time of the month, the fog sets in quite hard, so be ready for delays. Also the toll may be functional on Agra Lucknow Expressway now as last time when I went 2 months back they were testing with the toll booth.

Drive Safe

Last edited by Shivanshu : 13th December 2017 at 20:33.
Old 13th December 2017, 20:42   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Be careful about fog on this highway. There have been numerous reports of accidents due to poor visibility.
Thanks. This trip will happen in February. I don't expect the fog to be a major issue then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
While I love to drive, and you may reach earlier on your car, keep in mind Shatabdi would be significantly cheaper too with food, and the breaks you will be taking.
Regular AC chair seats for two persons on Shatabdi for round trip is Rs 5,000/-. Throw in local travel and cabs to and fro station and you are down by almost 7,500/-

On the other hand, I will not do more than 1200 km on the car. Which makes it about 80 litres of diesel on the TUV which is about Rs 5000 worth of fuel. Throw in tolls and food, and you spend the same.

We have done this analysis many times and realised it is cheaper to go by own vehicle if distance is under 600-700 km if two people are travelling. The difference is due to local transport and cab fares to the station. Beyond 1000 km, the difference narrows down.

Comfort is another factor but a 6 - 7 hours drive is no problem, especially on expressways. My longest drive has been 23 hours at a stretch but now I prefer to not drive more than 12 at a time, at most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
The last washroom you will get on this route is after the 3rd and last toll of Yamuna Expressway. So take a break there, as once you hit the Agra Lucknow Expressway you wont find any enroute.

Ideally it would be around 7 hrs including the breaks.

Also the toll may be functional on Agra Lucknow Expressway now as last time when I went 2 months back they were testing with the toll booth.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 10:46   #194
BANNED

Slightly off topic. They are getting serious about speeding on the Yamuna Expressway. I heard someone was stopped on the Yamuna E'way and charge with doing 165kph. When they raised the matter it was reduced to 120kph and the cops negotiated and pocketed the fine.
Old 21st January 2018, 17:11   #195
BHPian

Took the YEW to Agra ring road and then ALE to Lucknow. Total distance covered was 549 kms in 6 hours and 45 mins. The entire stretch of the ALE baring the emergency air strip is Tarmac.

Beware of people driving on the wrong side! There has to be a speed limit in place ASAP! I won't be surprised if people are caught doing north of 150 kmph

Toilets are operational at 96 km and 218 km milestone. Food court is nearing completion at the 218 km milestone.

Amount spent on Toll:
- YEW : 415/-
- Agra ring road : 35/-
- ALE : 570/-

Only 2 tolls on ALE, one at the start and the other at the end, of course each exit has a toll gate but not on the main expressway like YEW.

Lots of safety tips displayed enroute, there are sign boards telling drivers to maintain a gap of 70 meters from the car ahead.

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-88eead5ef7b64cc3b506518484021935.jpeg

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-7e697accf7ee40e787810fc34c674cd1.jpeg

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-b0741f995a9841d9ad70739cf4b199e1.jpeg

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-8d5abb4f86ff4657a9cebaa89b206750.jpeg

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-33b195f155ad434384bcc6ff037b86be.jpeg

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-972bfd8839f84bf4a2d1e5640f07ea5f.jpeg

Last edited by sinharishi : 21st January 2018 at 17:17. Reason: Added pictures to the post
sinharishi is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks