Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Organization of the guide...
  1. Introduction
  2. Inner line Permit and the Protected Area Permits
  3. .
  4. ..
  5. FAQ (Constantly updating)
Thanks a ton Tanveer. This is one thread which will be of immense help to everyone (not only BHPians) who wish to travel to LEH. The composition is awesome and the thread is very organised which enables a very easy read. And to top it with the fantastic snaps, maps and illustrations is superb. I am running out of adjectives man. Deserves a big round of applause and a definite 5*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Hi,

The post deserves 5 star rating, very well presented and informative.

Is it possible to provide pointers to contact details for places to stay.
Hi Cannon
Places like Leh, Diskit have big hotels, and its best to google search, look around travel forums for numbers. For small places, the village size itself is 20-30 houses with 2-3 guest houses. There is no mobile connectivity too. So you reach there and hunt around

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st May 2013 at 14:28.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:36   #32
BHPian

Re: Leh, Ladakh and Zanskar - The Ultimate Guide

Wow is all I can say. For someone who lives in the east of the country, the Ladakh and Leh region is totally alien to me. The desire to visit that place was always followed by a sudden fear of the unknown. But after going through this thread, by god I feel like I could do it tomorrow! lol.

Many Many thanks to the author
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 14:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

The definitive guide to Leh-Ladakh driving. Fantastic pictures and narration. It was a total pleasure to read this guide. 5 star rating for the thread and many thanks for sharing all the information with everyone; never knew so many aspects of that region. It was an eye opener!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 15:07   #34
BHPian

Dear Tanveer

Forgot to mention about the photographs. They are really awesome and mesmerizing. I have been drooling over them for last few hours.

I see some amazing wide angle shots, mind if I ask what gear are you using? and at what range did you encounter the wolf? From my experiences, you must be somewhere around 250mm zoom lens for that shot. sorry for being
Old 31st May 2013, 15:32   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
Dear Tanveer

Forgot to mention about the photographs. They are really awesome and mesmerizing. I have been drooling over them for last few hours.

I see some amazing wide angle shots, mind if I ask what gear are you using? and at what range did you encounter the wolf? From my experiences, you must be somewhere around 250mm zoom lens for that shot. sorry for being
For such details please look at the travelogue thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...l-again-9.html (18 Passes, 15 lakes and 2 breakdowns : Ladakh and Lahaul call again)

All questions answered there.
The wolf must have been around 50-60 meters away
Old 31st May 2013, 16:33   #36
adc
Senior - BHPian

There will not be another succinct Ladakh guide like this - Brilliant and straight to the point.

And then those images Kyun Tso and Mirpal Tso, will try again this Oct.

If you do have any update on these routes:

1. Tso Moriri - Chumur road? VardhanHarsh did this route, any improvement.

2. When we went to Hanle, [Oct 2010] there was a stone road being made from Hanle to Chumur.

3. Another road that was being made from Hanle through Foti la, any info? Kalaktartar plains - what a name and what kind of place that would be!

Definitely do take that extra permit for whatever needs to be done, for the Route from Koyoul to Demchok - that drive over that dry arid plateau is one heck of a travel.

Last edited by adc : 31st May 2013 at 16:54.
adc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 16:36   #37
BHPian

Tanveer you should start a tourist company specializing with Leh, Ladakh regions or atleast write a book and sell it to Lonely planet..... very detailed information will surely help those who plan a trip to that part of the country

All the best
macbeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:19   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There will not be another succinct Ladakh guide like this - Brilliant and straight to the point.

And then those images Kyun Tso and Mirpal Tso, will try again this Oct.

If you do have any update on these routes:

1. Tso Moriri - Chumur road? VardhanHarsh did this route, any improvement.

2. When we went to Hanle, [Oct 2010] there was a stone road being made from Hanle to Chumur.

3. Another road that was being made from Hanle through Foti la, any info? Kalaktartar plains - what a name and what kind of place that would be!

Definitely do take that extra permit for whatever needs to be done, for the Route from Koyoul to Demchok - that drive over that dry arid plateau is one heck of a travel.
Glad you liked it
To answer your queries
1. This route is now mostly tarred. However, Chumur is sensitive and permits can be an issue. Even if you get Chushul, Chumar is a different Ball game
2. Well, the stones have made the road worse. Do not count on it
3. Road was bad in October, but should be done by now. I don't think there is any issue in going till photi La, as there is no checkpost till photi la
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 17:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, awesome stuff Tanveer sir!

Thanks for the information. I wanted to get Leh'd this year but sadly my dad isn't well and I cannot make the trip this time around. But I will surely plan for next year.

Thanks again for collating all this information in just one thread.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2013, 18:31   #40
BHPian

Tanveer, thank you so much for posting this thread. I was going crazy compiling information from various threads and now all the useful information is at one place.

I am planning a trip for last week of this month and I will certainly keep this guide handy. The only confusion I have is whether to take my Linea T-jet or Punto. Heart is pulling me towards taking the T-jet but the brain says Punto (diesel cost, higher ground clearance and lower over-hangs). So far, it seems like the Punto might win but it all might be decided by a toss-up on the day prior to the trip.
Old 31st May 2013, 20:47   #41
BHPian

TSK sir, Dhanyawad very much
This article couldn't have come up at any time better.I am planning to drive to Leh this July and with this thread now my 95% research is done.
Old 31st May 2013, 21:29   #42
BHPian

Like everybody i liked this thread a lot. am planning my first trip in my Alto at the end of june. really helpful information.
Only thing i can think of is approx cost of hotel/homestay in each area. I know it varies a lot with the kind of accomodation and the season but a ball park figure would be good.
Another query i have with respect to tyres is:

OEM JK Tyres on my Alto 2007 have done 45K and are in no shape to last such a trip and need to be changed to tubeless ones. for emergencies, will be retaining the tubes even with tubeless tyres.
a) should i get apollo 3g, bridgestone ER60 etc or go with a rock hard MRF or JK Tyre to be safer on stone/sand/ice/no roads and water crossings?

b) should i stick to stock 145/80 on R12 steel rims or get 13" steel rims (alto k10, wagonR, etc) and 155/70 R13 tyres to increase GC by 0.52 cm.

Last edited by guptavis : 31st May 2013 at 21:51. Reason: typo
Old 31st May 2013, 22:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

I generally don't rate 5 stars to any thread. But this one is just brilliant.
Lots of information & awesome pictures and the scenery is just picture perfect.

Many thanks for sharing.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:01   #44
BHPian

Fantastic.. 5 stars.

The Keylong Kaza road, apart from being bad, is also boring. The jerk over rocks and gravels, the bleak landscape... I felt drowsy / sleepy on this patch.
Old 1st June 2013, 00:38   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Like everybody i liked this thread a lot. am planning my first trip in my Alto at the end of june. really helpful information.
Only thing i can think of is approx cost of hotel/homestay in each area. I know it varies a lot with the kind of accomodation and the season but a ball park figure would be good.
End of June is expensive time. Any decent guest house will charge around 1000-1200/couple. If its fully crowded, rates may go as high as 1400/night in Leh city.
At places like Nubra valley, guest houses in hunder will charge 1000/night-1200/night

Pangong tents will be booked to capacity, so will charge around 2000/night for 2 people. Tangste is cheaper at around 1000, but the charm of staying next to pangong is worth it. Alternatively. push to Merak village and get a homestay at half the rate.
Quote:
Another query i have with respect to tyres is:

OEM JK Tyres on my Alto 2007 have done 45K and are in no shape to last such a trip and need to be changed to tubeless ones. for emergencies, will be retaining the tubes even with tubeless tyres.
a) should i get apollo 3g, bridgestone ER60 etc or go with a rock hard MRF or JK Tyre to be safer on stone/sand/ice/no roads and water crossings?

b) should i stick to stock 145/80 on R12 steel rims or get 13" steel rims (alto k10, wagonR, etc) and 155/70 R13 tyres to increase GC by 0.52 cm.
Carry a tube or couple of them in the car. This is for emergency. Tubeless tires are best. Nowadays every nook and cranny has tubeless puncture facility.
AS for brand, I have very good experience with apollo acelere on mountain terrain on indica. As for alto, its a light car. Do not bother with 13" etc., Simply get a plastic or aluminum guard under engine sump. You will be able to cross tricky sections without much drama. Only killing Sarai on manali leh highway is a trouble spot.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed