Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 22:15   #31
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries

On Day 5, I am now doing Diu to Bhuj. What is the best route to go from Diu to Gondal?
Google map shows a straight route Diu - UNA - Dhari - Bagasara - Kunkavav - Gondal.

Saji here again. I had driven this route a couple of years ago. The road runs through the Gir forest, you have to register at the entrance, and I think the gate closes in the evening. It is a forest road, good tarmac, but narrow and frequented by people going to Tulsishyam temple. Nearby there is a hot spring. You can see lots of deer, the chital and some sambhur also. If you are lucky, you may come across a lion or lions too! I enjoyed this drive, but you cannot drive fast as there are lots of speedbreakers and you have to drive leisurely.

The road beyond Dhari is also a two lane village road, not very densely populated, so moderate speed is possible. The drive to Gondal may take you about 4 hours, or longer if you stop to spot wildlife.

Beyond Gondal, the road was reasonably good, but Rajkot onwards it is marvelous and you can drive very fast. But factor in damage to roads due to the long spell of rain we had in Gujarat.

Also can you share your thoughts on Post 24. I have included many of your suggestions.[/quote]
Old 19th August 2013, 22:35   #32
BHPian

Some more comments on your itinerary:

OK, here is the new plan after hearing everyone, it is bigger and more ambitious now...

Day 0 - Bangalore to Mumbai

Day 1 – Mumbai to Ahmedabad (Via Daman) – leave at 4am, Reach at 12pm.

** Allow for a couple more hours, since you may like to spend more time in Daman

Daman – take 1 hr break in route

Rudabai ne vav @ Adalaj – spend 2 hrs.

Swaminarayan Akshardham temple – reach by 3pm and spend half a day min.

** They are very strict about entry; no cigarettes, matches, food items etc. Leave most items in the car. There is a good parking ground opposite, and good food is available for very economical rates inside in the food stall.

Day 2 – In Ahmedabad

Sabarmati Ashram

Calico Museum

** Be sure to book ahead, or arrive an hour or so early to see this museum

Kankaria Lake – Half day to full day - to relax with kids.

** The nearby zoo is also worth a visit for the kids; once it was a great zoo when it was lovingly looked after by Rueben David. Sadly it is not the same any more.

Day 3 – Ahmedabad – Narera NP – Dwarka (475km, 8 hrs)

Marine Narera National Park – leave Ahmedabad at 4am, reach Narara by 10am (low tide at 10:20am). Spend 3 hrs

** This should be fast drive. Try to have a quick visit to Jamnagar on the way.

Dwarkadheesh/ Jagad Mandir.

Nageshwar Temple

Mul Dwarka

Bet Dwarka

Day 4 – Dwarka to Somnath to Diu (310km, 6.5 hrs)

Madhavpur beach – 1 hr break

** This is a very nice and clean beach.

Somnath

Somnath to Diu – 80km – 2 hrs

Ghogla beach

Gangeshwar Temple

Diu Fort – (2-3 hrs)

** It would be good to stay in one of the hotels in Nagoa beach

Day 5 – Diu to Bhuj (450km, 9 hrs)

Shree Swaminarayan Temple

Day 6 – Around Bhuj – -> Lakhpat Fort -> Narayan Sarovar + Koteshwar –> Lala Bustard Sanctuary (optional) -> Mandovi beach – Bhuj (total 365km – 7 hrs drive)
This day is tentative

Day 7 – Bhuj to Dhorodo – 80km, 2 hrs. 10am to 12:00am

Aina Mahal

Stay at Dhorodo

Rann of Kutch

Day 8 – Dhorodo to Dholavira – 300km – 6 hours – 10:00 to 16:00

Dholavira

Day 9 - Dholavira to Patan – Mehsana - Ahmedabad (360km, 6.5hrs)

Sun Temple @ Mudhera – spend 1.5 hour.

Rudabai ne vav @ Patan (step well) – Visiting time required: 1 hr

Sahastra linga Lake

Visit to a Patola Family

Day 10 - Ahmedabad – Little Runn of Kutch and Back – 200km (4 hrs)

Little Runn of Kutch (Zainabad/Dhrangadhra) spend half day

** Check with Desert Coursers (they operate jeep rides to the Little Rann) whether the Rann is flooded. It is likely to be due to the rains this year.

Day 11 – Ahmedabad – Vadodra (110km, 2hrs) – Sardar Sarovar Dam (95km, 1.5hrs) – Mumbai (420km, 7 hrs). total 625km, 10.5 hrs

Laxmi Vilas Palace spend 4 hours

Sursagar Lake

Sardar Sarovar Dam

Reach Mumbai
rest for a day and
Return to Bangalore

*[/quote]
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:59   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Day 4 – Dwarka to Somnath to Diu (310km, 6.5 hrs)

Madhavpur beach – 1 hr break

** This is a very nice and clean beach.

Somnath

Somnath to Diu – 80km – 2 hrs

Ghogla beach

Gangeshwar Temple

Diu Fort – (2-3 hrs)

** It would be good to stay in one of the hotels in Nagoa beach
While it is possible to cover this leg in one day. Visiting every spot will be very tiring. Lets say, you start at 5 am from Dwarka. It is 4+ hours dive from Dwarka to Somnath/Veraval. 1 hour break at Madhavpur. Add half an hour break for breakfast in between.

You will only be reaching Somnath at around 11 AM. BY the time you complete your Somnath visit, it will be 12 PM. Break for lunch at nearby hotel preferably Hotel Lord's Inn/Hotel Sukh Sagar( on the Veraval bye pass rd).

By 1 PM you will start for Diu. By 3 PM you will reach Diu. The remaining four hours daylight time is not enough to cover all places in Diu.
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
OK, here is the new plan after hearing everyone, it is bigger and more ambitious now...

ST7677,
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but was curious to know did you eventually do it? I'm planning to visit Gujarat during this new year so just have few questions about your trip if you made it.
Old 3rd April 2014, 13:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

No, unfortunately due to excessive untimely rains and floods, I had to cancel my trip. Planning to do it this year, either Dushera or NY.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:32   #36
BHPian

Bumping up this thread again.

Did you make it last year? I am planning a trip to Gujarat in December.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvramsub View Post
Bumping up this thread again.

Did you make it last year? I am planning a trip to Gujarat in December.
Whats your itinerary looking like? Share that here so that we can provide some inputs. Last I drove to Rajkot was 5 months back in May 2015.

Based on your plans, areas to cover, folks here can pitch in.
Old 17th January 2016, 17:54   #38
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Drove to Rajkot and back last weekend passing Pune and Mumbai.
Hi paragsachania,

I did travel to Chennai Rajkot 7 years back in my Sx4. I started from Chennai and reached Mumbai in less than 24 hours, faster than chennai express train. During that time the roads were not good and due to traffic we took the state highway bypassing Surat, Vasai and reached vadodara via saputara.

I was skeptical taking the saputara route since it was a SH. But the journey was scenic and hilly areas at many places. However the only drawback was there was no lights during the night at a stretch of 10-20 kms. All we had was car light and hardly there was passenger vehicles passing us by. All through the complete journey from pune to Vadodara, we hardly noticed any passenger vehicle in the saputara route.

Having said all that, I am planning to travel to Rajkot again from chennai. Last month I did chennai Bangalore in 5 hours. Road are pretty good in NH4. Hardly any pot holes or patches.

Please provide your advise on taking the route from Pune. Either take the pune-mumbai expressway or take the saputara route to reach Vadodara. If I start from Bangalore at 4:00 AM,would I be able to reach Vadodara by 8:00 PM, on Honda Amaze or Hyundai Creata. If it's not possible, would you recommend a stay at mumbai and proceed further.

Please share your thoughts and guidance.

Note: Single driver throughout the journey. No kids on board.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2016 at 22:57. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 17th January 2016, 20:23   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post

Having said all that, I am planning to travel to Rajkot again from chennai. Last month I did chennai Bangalore in 5 hours. Road are pretty good in NH4. Hardly any pot holes or patches.

Please provide your advise on taking the route from Pune. Either take the pune-mumbai expressway or take the saputara route to reach Vadodara. If I start from Bangalore at 4:00 AM,would I be able to reach Vadodara by 8:00 PM, on Honda Amaze or Hyundai Creata. If it's not possible, would you recommend a stay at mumbai and proceed further.

Please share your thoughts and guidance.

Note: Single driver throughout the journey. No kids on board.
Incidentally, I just returned back driving from Rajkot from Bangalore this afternoon, solo and Non-Stop along with my parents.

Will provide you detailed inputs on every section of the route as I post my detailed trip update later tomorrow.

As for now, for your query, The advise is to stick to Bangalore Pune Thane Vadodara Ahmedabad Ring Road Limbdi Chotila Rajkot.

No need to take the Saputara Route. Those days are passé.

Also, don't get fooled by the "shorter" distance (and hence travel time) if you don't take NE1 and instead take the Vadodara Tarapur Chokdi route that helps you "bypass" Ahmedabad. Stick to NE1, that's the fastest.

Time Estimate-
Bangalore Mumbai - 13 to 14 Hours
Mumbai Ahmedabad - 7 to 8 Hours
Ahmedabad Rajkot - 3 Hours
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2016, 22:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally, I just returned back driving from Rajkot from Bangalore this afternoon, solo and Non-Stop along with my parents.
Unfortunately, I will not be going via Ahmedabad. My Native is Vadodara. Stay there and then go to Rajkot.

Then Proceed towards somnath, dwarka, etc.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2016 at 22:57. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 19th January 2016, 08:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, I will not be going via Ahmedabad. My Native is Vadodara. Stay there and then go to Rajkot.

Then Proceed towards somnath, dwarka, etc.
This is exactly what I meant. There is no need to take the Vadodara - Tarapur - Bagodara option to reach Rajkot. Please take the Vadodara - Ahmedabad expressway till Ring Road and then take on the Ahmedabad Rajkot highway to reach Rajkot.

This is because the Vadodara - Tarapur route is undergoing expansion work and the progress is usually slower than you can think of and sees no gain any way.

Also - For Rajkot - Somnath, take the usual Rajkot-Gondal-Jetpur-Junagarh-Keshod-Somnath route. We drove this on Friday and the road all the way is fantastic and 4 laned except 10 odd kms on Junagarh bypass.

In fact, even Rajkot - Gondal - Jetpur - Junagarh - Medarda - Talala - Gir - Somnath is super clean all the way now as we took this route on return.

And yes, Ahmedabad - Rajkot - Junagarh - Somnath has plethora of good options for breaks with some new Honest and Sugar & Spice outlets recently opening at various locations difficult to miss.

(PS- Tried to respond to your PM but got a message that you have disabled incoming messages.)

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th January 2016 at 08:17.
Old 25th January 2016, 03:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly what I meant. There is no need to take the Vadodara - Tarapur - Bagodara option to reach Rajkot. Please take the Vadodara - Ahmedabad expressway till Ring Road and then take on the Ahmedabad Rajkot highway to reach Rajkot.

This is because the Vadodara - Tarapur route is undergoing expansion work and the progress is usually slower than you can think of and sees no gain any way.

Also - For Rajkot - Somnath, take the usual Rajkot-Gondal-Jetpur-Junagarh-Keshod-Somnath route. We drove this on Friday and the road all the way is fantastic and 4 laned except 10 odd kms on Junagarh bypass.

In fact, even Rajkot - Gondal - Jetpur - Junagarh - Medarda - Talala - Gir - Somnath is super clean all the way now as we took this route on return.

And yes, Ahmedabad - Rajkot - Junagarh - Somnath has plethora of good options for breaks with some new Honest and Sugar & Spice outlets recently opening at various locations difficult to miss.

(PS- Tried to respond to your PM but got a message that you have disabled incoming messages.)
Hi paragsachania

Thank you very much. Appreciate your inputs.

Can you please let me know the route to mumbai from bangalore if I am coming from Chennai.

Do I have to come to bangalore city to proceed towards mumbai or can I use the NICE road? What is the entry point for NICE road.

Regards
Uday

Please see the attached screenshot of the ring road.

Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries-screen-shot-20160125-3.06.33-am.png

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th January 2016 at 08:30. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 27th January 2016, 08:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries

Quote:
Hi paragsachania

Thank you very much. Appreciate your inputs.

Can you please let me know the route to mumbai from bangalore if I am coming from Chennai.

Do I have to come to bangalore city to proceed towards mumbai or can I use the NICE road? What is the entry point for NICE road.

Regards
Uday
Quote:
Please see the attached screenshot of the ring road.

Attachment 1464646
I believe ampere has already responded to this query of yours on how to enter NICE Road when you are approaching Bangalore from Hosur Side.

Without sounding redundant, I would say stick to that and take NICE Road right from the Entry all the way till "Tumkur Road". You need to pay 155 INR for this entire stretch that is about 40 kms and will take 30 minutes.

Right after the exit toll gate where you produce this toll receipt, you will spot a fork where you need to stay left to exit for Tumkur/Pune (right one leads you back into Bangalore City).

As soon as you exit, you will be on the service lane and will spot another toll booth with just 2 gates. You will have to enter this toll booth paying 20 INR and now you are on the Bangalore-Mumbai National Highway.

Here's the detailed break-up for the Toll -
  1. NICE 155
  2. NBTL 20
  3. JAS Toll 34 (Remember to say Tumkur here & Retain receipt to show at Tumkur)
  4. Guilalu - 75
  5. Karjeevanahalli - 55
  6. Hebbalu - 75
  7. Chalageri - 95
  8. Bankapura - 70
  9. Hubli-Dharwad Bypass - 55 (Remember to say Belgaum here & retain receipt to show at the other end of bypass)
  10. Hirebagewadi - 80
  11. Hattaragi - 20
  12. Kagal - 40
  13. Kini - 68
  14. Taswade - 68
  15. Anewadi - 55
  16. Khedshivpur - 80
  17. Mumbai Pune Expressway - 195
  18. Kharghar - No Toll for Cars
  19. Airoli Bridge - 30
  20. Thane Entry - 35
  21. Ghodbunder - No toll for Cars
  22. Khanivade - 65
  23. Charoti - 59
  24. Bhagwada - 65
  25. Boirach - 57
  26. Choryasi - 65
  27. Bhartan - 85
  28. NE 1 - 95

Important point in case you are heading to Ahmedabad through Vadodara Bypass:

Exactly at a point where the last entry/exit for Vadodara intersects with NE1, the new flyover is all functional now. However, for first timers it might just confuse as staying on the main corridor will in fact lead you to the usual NH for Ahmedabad (And not NE1).

There is a small signage (almost non significant) that exists right here which asks those wanting to take NE1 to exit for the service Road. Remember to exit right there.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 20:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

I have planned a road trip for 3 weeks from Bangalore to Gujarat covering Kutch and Saurashtra from 4 Dec and have a tentative plan as follows-

Bangalore to Pune
Pune to Vadodara
Vadodara to Ahmedabad
Ahmedabad to Kutch
Kutch to Rajkot
Rajkot to Dwaraka
Dwaraka to Somnath
Somnath to Diu
Diu to Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar to Surat
Surat to Kolhapur
Kolhapur to Bangalore

In each of these places we would halt for a day or few days depending on the sight seeing and cover major attractions like Gir, Girnar hills, The Great Rann, Statue of Unity etc.

Need your suggestions on -

Do you think this route plan is good enough and if you have any suggestions on the routing or major attractions etc

The first stop is Pune and would like to know if the localities Wakad / Hinjawadi are good to make a night halt as we would need the closest location to the highway as possible to avoid any city traffic. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 30th November 2021, 21:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Do you think this route plan is good enough and if you have any suggestions on the routing or major attractions etc
Bangalore to Pune
No Brainer, 12-14 hours depending on what time of the day you start your journey:

Pune to Vadodara
You better start as early as 0500 from Pune so you get out of Mumbai by 0800. From here, despite of the traffic on the dense Mumbai Ahmedabad section, you can budget around 6 hours to reach Baroda

Vadodara to Ahmedabad
Again, no brainer. Both the roads connecting these 2 cities, the 6 lane NH as well as the 4 lane Expressway (NE1) remain good. It is always a tough choice to pick between the 2 but many prefer the expressway only because it has one entry and exit toll to cross and the highway itself is access controlled and that means absence of any misc traffic and hassle-free crossing of town and villages enroute.

Quote:
Ahmedabad to Kutch
Kutch to Rajkot
Rajkot to Dwaraka
Dwaraka to Somnath
Somnath to Diu
Diu to Bhavnagar
Bhavnagar to Surat
I would like to align this as below:
  • Ahmedabad Bagodara Bhavnagar
  • Bhavnagar Diu
  • Diu Veraval Somnath (You can include Gir as its hardly 30m from Somnath)
  • Somnath Porbandar Dwarka Jamnagar
  • Jamnagar Rajkot
  • Rajkot Kutch
  • Kutch Ahmedabad
  • Ahmedabad Pune
  • Pune Bangalore
This will be an ideal circuit that starts at Ahmedabad and ends at Ahmedabad and you take the same route back to Bangalore. What you can still do is align the above and plan where you want to stay on each day. The above bullets do not mean you halt at each of these locations. They only refer to the flow.

I see that you have included Rajkot and Diu for a reason. Hence I won't disturb that and kept that as part of your itinerary assuming you will also stay at these places and have some plans.

Quote:
The first stop is Pune and would like to know if the localities Wakad / Hinjawadi are good to make a night halt as we would need the closest location to the highway as possible to avoid any city traffic. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Wakad is a perfect spot to stay for the night as it is bang on the Pune bypass and less than 10 minutes away from expressway entry for Mumbai.

I drove back 3 weeks before from Rajkot to Bangalore. So depending on what you decide, I can share further details here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th November 2021 at 21:58.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks