Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 09:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Bangalore to Gujarat
We did the circuit 2 years back. This is how our actual execution looked:

Day 1-3: Madras-Ahmedabad (via Aurangabad-Indore)
Day 4: Ahmedabad-Somnath and darshan
Day 5: Somnath-Gir-Dwarka
Day 6: Dwarka-Narara-Dwarka
Day 7: Dwarka-Porbandar-Bhuj
Day 8: Bhuj-Mandvi-Koteshwar-Pingleshwar-Bhuj
Day 9: Bhuj-Kala Dungar-India Bridge-Rann Utsav-White Desert-Bhuj
Day 10: Bhuj-Dholavira-Patan
Day 11: Patan-Modhera-Patan (exhausted)
Day 12: Patan-Ambaji-Dilwara-Becharaji-Patan
Day 13: Patan-Rani Ki Vav-Ahmedabad
Day 14: Ahmedabad-SoU-Baroda
Day 15-17: Baroda-Shirdi-Madras

You have a lot more days than me. Besides you aren't driving the long haul in peak travel days and could do it the straightforward route.

I didn't take the Bhavnagar route, since it is known for bad roads. You can do Diu from Somnath.

Ahmedabad-Rajkot, Rajkot-Morbi-Malia, Getting in and out of Dholavira to major roads are stretches I recommend doing only in day.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 09:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I didn't take the Bhavnagar route, since it is known for bad roads. You can do Diu from Somnath.
Bagodara to Bhavnagar is good now. A relative of mine from Gandhinagar takes it regularly to visit Alang.

Quote:
Ahmedabad-Rajkot
Latest update from my trip last month - Work is still in progress on the entire stretch, including Rajkot bypass itself. While onward traffic towards Gondal is to stay on the bypass, if you are returning back towards Ahmedabad, you are diverted towards Morbi and merged back to Chotila road quite a few kms beyond Rajkot.

Apart from that, the road from Bavla to Rajkot is full of diversions, better done during the day as they are marked quite badly. For that matter, even roads beyond Rajkot till Jetpur are patchy and bumpy.

Quote:
Rajkot-Morbi-Malia
This is what folks from Rajkot do when they know they do not want to enter Morbi but merely bypass it. They drive all the way on Chotila-Ahmedabad highway till Bamanbore and then join the Bhuj highway. This has been the most saner choice instead of really getting into Morbi.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 09:53   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is what folks from Rajkot do when they know they do not want to enter Morbi but merely bypass it.
I bypassed it too. The reason for mentioning Rajkot-Morbi-Malia was from safety perspective. There were reports of highway robberies in the night last year, I had breezed through the same place, year before last at 7 pm totally unaware.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 10:05   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I bypassed it too. The reason for mentioning Rajkot-Morbi-Malia was from safety perspective. There were reports of highway robberies in the night last year, I had breezed through the same place, year before last at 7 pm totally unaware.
Agree. The entire stretch after Morbi all the way till you actually enter Kutch region is desolate even during the day. Thanks to the absence of any major towns or villages here due to the barren landscape.

I think we will first need to know the intent of Girish on including Bhavnagar or Rajkot and then based on that suggest the best route. I am sure he must have something in mind to include Bhavnagar or Rajkot for that matter.

Otherwise, Ahmedabad - Bagodara Chokdi - Bhavnagar - Mahua - Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka - Jamnagar - Kutch - Rajkot - Bagodara Chokdi - Tarapur - Baroda makes a good circuit. This will also avoid driving towards Ahmedabad now that Bagodara Tarapur Baroda road is all good too.

Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries-gj-route.jpg

If Bhavnagar can be skipped, the route becomes even more simpler - Ahmedabad Rajkot Gondal Junagadh Gir Somnath and then as above.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st December 2021 at 10:07.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 00:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We did the circuit 2 years back.

Ahmedabad-Rajkot, Rajkot-Morbi-Malia, Getting in and out of Dholavira to major roads are stretches I recommend doing only in day.
Noted and will try to take the main highway to Kutch instead of other route. Also will take your inputs on must do in Kutch.. what are your favorites?

Quote:

I think we will first need to know the intent of Girish on including Bhavnagar or Rajkot and then based on that suggest the best route. I am sure he must have something in mind to include Bhavnagar or Rajkot for that matter.

Otherwise, Ahmedabad - Bagodara Chokdi - Bhavnagar - Mahua - Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka - Jamnagar - Kutch - Rajkot - Bagodara Chokdi - Tarapur - Baroda makes a good circuit. This will also avoid driving towards Ahmedabad now that Bagodara Tarapur Baroda road is all good too.

Attachment 2239697

If Bhavnagar can be skipped, the route becomes even more simpler - Ahmedabad Rajkot Gondal Junagadh Gir Somnath and then as above.
First of all thanks both for some wonderful insights. Sorry was swamped by work all day as have to finish a lot of deliverables before the travel kicks in so couldn't reply earlier.

To elaborate a bit more on our road trip. The first two stops Vadodara and Ahmedabad will be from this Sunday to Friday (3 and 2 days each city and I am working till Wednesday) so we plan to cover statue and unity and some local sightseeing in these days whenever we find time.
Leave for Kutch from Ahmedabad on Friday morning and Saturday at Devpur haveli and Sunday to Rajkot.

Rajkot is to break the journey as we plan to visit Junagadh for Fort and Girnar hills before moving towards Dwaraka, Somnath, Gir, Diu and then to Bhavnagar mainly to halt before the return leg via Surat.

Given this in mind look forward for any other suggestions on route and must visit options etc. as we have an open plan and bookings will be done closer to the actual travel days for the next destination.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:24   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rajkot is to break the journey as we plan to visit Junagadh for Fort and Girnar hills before moving towards Dwaraka, Somnath, Gir, Diu and then to Bhavnagar mainly to halt before the return leg via Surat.
This makes sense. Rajkot can be a good base for your entry to cover Saurashtra region and then Kutch.

Mahatma Gandhi Museum - Where Gandhiji lived

The Grand Thakar - For authentic Kathiawadi Thali

Swaminarayan Temple, Gondal

Naulakha Palace, Gondal

Jalaram Temple, Virpur

Jetpur - A place famous for Bandhanis in case ladies in your group want to shop

I couldn't experience the Girnar ropeway last month as my folks here told that due to festive time it had become extremely crowded. Given the fact that you are traveling at the beginning of December, you will surely be lucky.

You should also explore Porbandar as it will be on your way from Somnath to Dwarka covering Kirti Mandir (Birth Place of Gandhiji)

When you do Dwarka to Kutch, and your travel times mandate you to make a halt in between, then consider Jamnagar as a good choice so you hit Kutch the next day peacefully.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:45   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first two stops Vadodara and Ahmedabad will be from this Sunday to Friday (3 and 2 days each city and I am working till Wednesday) so we plan to cover statue and unity and some local sightseeing in these days whenever we find time.
If you have time when around Vadodara, I'd suggest Pavagad and Sindhrot (google Sindhrot check dam on google maps) and few other Mahi riverfront locations as short ~30 mins ride trips around the city. Weather is perfect to visit these places. Adalaj stepwell (towards Gandhinagar) and Nalsarovar bird sanctuary are nice short trips around Ahmedabad if you have the time.

As for food options, Gujaratis (especially in those two cities) are well versed into what's the best local options in and around those cities. I'd suggest reaching out to friends and local contacts to get the best options over there.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This makes sense. Rajkot can be a good base for your entry to cover Saurashtra region and then Kutch.

When you do Dwarka to Kutch, and your travel times mandate you to make a halt in between, then consider Jamnagar as a good choice so you hit Kutch the next day peacefully.
Thanks Parag for the suggestions. Will try to cover them as much as possible.

One thing is that we are planning to take the anti clockwise direction in the Saurashtra region. When we return from Kutch, rest at Rajkot and then plan to stay at Junagadh as it has some good stay options. Cover Girnar hills and other attractions and then move to Dwarka (via Jamnagar not sure) and then cover the coast line Somnath, Gir etc

We are rethinking on Diu now as it mandates an RTPCR test so tentative at the moment and then move towards Bhavnagar

We can halt somewhere else as well if suggested if there are some good attractions instead of Bhavnagar as its not a must (stopping there only to have a break journey) while returning to Surat where we plan to stay for a couple of days before the return leg.

We would take a break at either Kolhapur or Lonavala and then hit back to Bangalore the next day.

We are just three of us, my wifey and my little daughter of 7 years in this journey and would cover this in my EcoSport
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:59   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nalsarovar bird sanctuary are nice short trips around Ahmedabad if you have the time.
This one is certainly something that can be done when you are heading to Rajkot from Ahmedabad side.

Quote:
One thing is that we are planning to take the anti clockwise direction in the Saurashtra region. When we return from Kutch, rest at Rajkot and then plan to stay at Junagadh as it has some good stay options. Cover Girnar hills and other attractions and then move to Dwarka (via Jamnagar not sure) and then cover the coast line Somnath, Gir etc
In that case, you should be ideally doing this circuit:

Junagadh - Talala - Diu - Veraval - Somnath - Porbandar - Dwarka - Jamnagar - Rajkot - Bagodara - Tararapur - Vadodara

However, with an anticlockwise route, you will do the following:

Junagadh - Porbandar - Dwarka - Porbandar - Somnath - Diu - Junagadh - Rajkot - Bagodara - Tararapur - Vadodara

Remember that from Junagadh, it makes sense if you head to Diu first and start driving on the coast up north till Dwarka passing Somnath and Porbandar. After Dwarka, you can start your return leg and reach Baroda directly via Jamnagar Dhrol Rajkot Bagodara Tarapur. I

Quote:
We are rethinking on Diu now as it mandates an RTPCR test so tentative at the moment and then move towards Bhavnagar
You may reconsider traveling to Bhavnagar itself now.
Quote:
We can halt somewhere else as well if suggested if there are some good attractions instead of Bhavnagar as its not a must (stopping there only to have a break journey) while returning to Surat where we plan to stay for a couple of days before the return leg.
As suggested earlier, return back from Kutch or even Diu via Rajkot Tarapur Baroda itself.

Quote:
We would take a break at either Kolhapur or Lonavala and then hit back to Bangalore the next day.
You may need to decide between these 2 places dynamically. Keep Panvel/Lonavala as the first option followed by Pune, Satara, Karad and Kolhapur, each of these located ~2 hours from each other in the order. Based on the progress you make which will also depend on the time of the day you are driving these sections, you can take a call to decide on the place for overnight stay.

We are just three of us, my wifey and my little daughter of 7 years in this journey and would cover this in my EcoSport[/quote]
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what are your favorites?
Since you are going with your daughter, you should do Narara. When we were there, lot of adults were equally excited as well. It is tide sensitive, so you need time planning to get here. Jamnagar is the nearest place to stay, can be done from Dwarka as well (we did the latter).

Ambaji was nice, so was Becharaji. Since you have 3 weeks in hand, you could do Modhera-Rani Ki Vav-Ambaji circuit as well.

On the other end of spectrum Nageshwar, Dwarka, SoU and to an extent Dilwara.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:14   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are going with your daughter, you should do Narara.
Good suggestion. Works well if Jamnagar is added as an option during the return trip.

We had been here during my 2019 trip but we were not allowed to take a walk here to experience the marine wild life due to suspected high tides in few hours. However, the road leading to this place itself was so scenic:
Bangalore to Gujarat : Route Queries-img_20191228_161809.jpg

Regarding Becharaji, Ambaji, Modhera, I would do this keeping Ahmedabad as base. However, there is so much to cover that one may really need to prioritize whether it is a combination of Ahmedabad - Kutch or Ahmedabad - Saurashtra but with adequate time in hand, both are achievable in one trip itself.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 12:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We had been here during my 2019 trip but we were not allowed to take a walk here to experience the marine wild life due to suspected high tides in few hours.
Yep, you were late and I was too early. In our case low tides were 400 pm ish the evening and we were there by 1030 am itself Either way visiting Narara takes time, should budget a day exclusively for it. The walk alone takes about 4 hours change.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 00:27   #58
BHPian

Hello everyone, I am planning a trip to Bhavnagar to my in laws' place with my wife next month. The route I'm planning to take is the Google route -- stay on NH-48 till Vadodara, NH-68 till Vasad, then Vatad -> Pipali -> Bhavnagar. Any advice? Planning to do it over two days. Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2022, 14:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
Hello everyone, I am planning a trip to Bhavnagar to my in laws' place with my wife next month. The route I'm planning to take is the Google route -- stay on NH-48 till Vadodara, NH-68 till Vasad, then Vatad -> Pipali -> Bhavnagar. Any advice? Planning to do it over two days. Thanks in advance.
From Bengaluru?
If you do not want to drive upto Bhavnagar then take a RoRo Ferry from Surat
*https://www.dgferry.com/home
and if you plan then Vadodara - Borsad - Dharmaj - Tarapur - Vataman - Pipli to Bhavnagar. I have travelled on this route in Feb 22 when I visited Velavadar and then to Gir.
ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 11:24   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razeetg View Post
Hi, I had done Bangalore - Bhavnagar in Mar, but I had taken different route as I had pitstops on the way. I am sharing the screenshot of the route I took from Surat - Bhavnagar. This route was excellent, mostly 4 lane. Once you take left from Vataman you have limited option for food. At Bharuch there is a McD for bio break. Hope that helps.

Name:  Screenshot 20220928 111908.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  111.9 KB

Last edited by thirugata : 28th September 2022 at 11:26.
thirugata is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks