Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 14:10   #16
BHPian

re: Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand

I am not advising you the future course of action, but will you my experience.

I was in Australia in 1998 and was caught for speeding( not a wilful act). I admitted my mistake to the Policeman, but was told that as per the law I have committed a crime under such and such section and this amounted to a fine of AU$ 192. He explained to me that I had 45 days to pay the fine, after which they will send an arrest warrant. I was then asked whether I was first time tourist in Australia and about my date of leaving. I told him that I was new to the country and was leaving the following way. He smiled at me, winked an eye and in a typically Aussie way told me, "I tell you something, if I were you, I will not pay this fine and will just leave. Have a nice day"
I have not gone to Australia again and the rental company has not contacted me.
You may decide the future course of action.
Old 8th September 2014, 15:22   #17
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks all for sharing their experiences, tips and suggestions. As mentioned in my initial post, I was never shying away from paying the fees as 1. It is incorrect on my part 2. We'd show fellow Indians in poor light and 3. Having seen how efficient their systems in general are, chances are I might have exceeded the speed limit, albeit for a very few meters (the GPS would warn whenever I exceed the limits and fellow BHPian ramkya who gave me lot of tips on planning had told me in no uncertain terms to obey ALL rules).

I did look-up my logs for that day. We had started from Rotorua and hit a spot where the road was closed/blocked. We could not input this info to GPS and had to rely on paper maps and ended up in a cictuitous route for the next destination and apart from being late, I'm now paying a fine too.

Thanks again for all the posts.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 20:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Pay the fine and sleep well. In a foreign country you don't represent yourself alone instead you are an ambassador for your country.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 04:42   #19
BHPian

Let me be honest. I was in Auckland for more than 2 years on a project. I was fined $150 for not wearing a seatbelt 10 metres off my place( I was not the driver). I paid it. However in your case, even if you do not pay and have no intention of not returning for 5 years from the date of the challan ( I am Indian, you see) , do not bother. They will not bother. Having worked in these departments, Indians are nowhere near British/Islanders/Tongans when it comes to breaking fines. We are a docile lot. A fine like that does not matter.

PS : My profile pic is from my younger days days driving a Holden in North Island

Last edited by model-t : 9th September 2014 at 04:43.
Old 9th September 2014, 04:52   #20

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2014 at 15:36.
ArchitectIT is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th September 2014, 04:53   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think it has more to do with our driving styles / behavior here . We look out so many other things in India , our brain is simply not looking at these signs . Once you start living outside for a while this changes .
Very well said! When i first started driving in Australia on my Indian DL, i was quite oblivious to the sign boards for speed limit, and never even noticed the mobile speed vans parked around (even when i wasn't driving!). On the other hand, i was quite aware of cars around me, and so on, things we get accustomed to being wary of when driving in India.

Once i got my local DL and started driving around, there were a lot more things i started noticing and following, including courtesy shown to fellow road users.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Speed fine doubles in construction zone in most of countries

I think it has more to do with our driving styles / behavior here . We look out so many other things in India , our brain is simply not looking at these signs . Once you start living outside for a while this changes .
+1 to that. Initially I get really bogged down by these road signs but slowly with more driving experience under these conditions I am able to spot the signs better now.

However, in case of NZ fine incident, I went back to check where the sign board was placed and how I managed to miss spotting it. Well, it was a small temporary board half covered with small bushes that sometimes grows along the road side. I just cursed my luck and moved on.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how I managed to miss spotting it. Well, it was a small temporary board half covered with small bushes that sometimes grows along the road side. I just cursed my luck and moved on.
You could have successfully contested this , my brother in Canada had similar experience couple of years back - he took pictures from different angles / distances and got the fine reversed .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 11:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

You should pay the fine...just to keep your conscience quiet if nothing else

I first drove in the US in 2001. Did a lot of uneventful miles across several states. The only place I had a problem was in Florida: got into the wrong lane (e-tag lane) by mistake. Wanted to explain my problem to the attendant but it was unmanned. That particular lane just wouldn't accept cash and there was no way I could reverse out and choose another lane. Gritted my teeth and drove through and sure enough...a click and flash as I drove past.

I was utterly chagrined and was still cursing myself as I approached the next toll...only to do it again! Another click and flash as the camera captured my ashamed face

It was a rental from Budget car. I wanted to inform them about the violations when returning the car but the return was unmanned again (drop the keys off at an airport lot). I figured I would get a ticket in the mail and braced for it.

But nothing happened. On my subsequent visits to the US I was mortally scared they would stop me at Immigration and deport me because of my 2 traffic violations . Even now I wonder what happened...did the Florida authorities ever issue a citation? Did they ignore it because it was a rental car and a foreign license holder? Or did they actually send it and Budget rental folks decided to absorb the cost?

No idea. Incidentally I haven't visited Florida nor used Budget after that. But I feel guilty about it just the same. As someone said here, you are a guest in a foreign country- pay your dues!

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th September 2014 at 13:15. Reason: Edited the extra smiley....Please view the forum rules before proceeding further :D
noopster is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You could have successfully contested this , my brother in Canada had similar experience couple of years back - he took pictures from different angles / distances and got the fine reversed .
In the hindsight even I feel so. But at that time since my 1 yr daughter was really annoyed with the whole journey & stoppages given it was quite late in the night, I didn't go on to take pictures of the partially covered sign board.
Old 10th September 2014, 19:09   #26
BHPian

Re: Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand

Normally speed cameras accept speeds up to 5% excess of the limit and only after that offenders are charged.

However if you are positively sure that you have not exceeded the limit you can dispute the infringement. Details given in below URL.

http://www.justice.govt.nz/fines/fin...dispute-a-fine
Old 10th September 2014, 22:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only place I had a problem was in Florida: got into the wrong lane (e-tag lane) by mistake.
I had rented a SUV from Hertz couple of years back in Florida, I had to take the turnpike to Key West and the whole system is unmanned (all lanes). Moment I saw the board announcing that only cars with e-tag should proceed on this road, I pulled over and called Hertz. They mentioned that my car was already enabled with it, so after wasting 20 minutes I was finally able to continue on my journey.

That was probably the case for you.

Anyway on another occasion we went through e-tag line (the camera flashed) in San Francisco, all you have to do is turn around by taking an exit midway and returning back so that you can pay the toll. As long as you do this within 24hours you will not be fined. Luckily I had buddy riding along who knew this.

Last edited by bharatbs : 10th September 2014 at 22:43.
bharatbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 00:09   #28
BHPian

Wow. This is news. I drove all over New Zealand for 3 weeks last year, and broke the limit number of times. Initially I was pretty sure I would be flagged down, or get a call from the rental, or see some signage citing speed cam. Zilch ! I assumed they were not as strict as, say, the Swiss. Even in the cities I saw, in general, rash-er driving that what I have seen in European cities, and thought Kiwis were a more tolerant lot. I guess not !
Old 11th September 2014, 14:18   #29
BHPian

Hi Prasad,

You have three option

1. Ignore it. But this will make NZ to put your name on alert and you will not get entry next time even though you may have Visa. Please remember NZ is small country and department work in coordination unlike India or USA for that matter.

2. Contest the Fine. You need to be present or hire a lawyer. Expensive start option but could fetch you return of all cost. But will you take the monetary risk ?

3. Pay it and write it off as another unplanned expense.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:46   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Just as a curiosity, has anyone recd similar notices (either from NZ police or from some other countries) long after they are back in India?
I paid a whole bunch of fines for tickets (mostly bus lane, and 1 speeding ticket) I received by post even 6 months after my return. I 'only' protested 3 fines via email as I was charged for entering prohibited area in central Rome which were waived after I email the council a copy of my hotel vouchers and dates of stay which coincided with the date of handing out the fines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
What really happens if we don't pay or for some reason the notice sent over normal post is not reached for that matter?
Prasad
A friend of mine who frequents DXB had to pay the dues on his next arrival. Your fine is tiny, just get over with it especially because you intend to visit again and you never know what the final lead in the chain of fines / punishment could be. Its another country, pay and forget.

Last edited by manson : 11th September 2014 at 16:50.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks