Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 16:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
They probably got my address thru the car rental company.
Wouldn't the rental company have your credit card details? I thought all fees & fines would be automatically charged to your card. I think the rental agreement form has this clause.
Old 11th September 2014, 16:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Wouldn't the rental company have your credit card details? I thought all fees & fines would be automatically charged to your card. I think the rental agreement form has this clause.
The passing on of contact information is usually charged to the car without consent, the actual fine is then sent by post as the individual can optionally contest the levy of the same.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 17:32   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

Three full months after I returned from my NZ road-trip, I've got a traffic violation notice (by post) from the Ministry of Justice, NZ, asking me to cough-up NZD 60 (about 3000). They probably got my address thru the car rental company. The fine would increase by NZD100 if I won't pay it by 14-Sep, as they'd take it to court.

Now, I'd pay-up this amount as I plan to visit that beautiful country again, though I feel a little short-changed as it came so-late and I really followed all the rules and I've no option but to trust their speed-guns.

Just as a curiosity, has anyone recd similar notices (either from NZ police or from some other countries) long after they are back in India? What really happens if we don't pay or for some reason the notice sent over normal post is not reached for that matter?

Mods: I did search for an appropriate thread, couldn't find any.

Prasad
My friend was cought up in a similar issue while he was driving the rental car in Europe. He got over speeding notice (100 or 150 Euro do not remember exactly !) almost after a month, by the time he was in India. Though he managed to make the payment through a local HR manager on personal basis
Old 11th September 2014, 19:36   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You should pay the fine...just to keep your conscience quiet if nothing else

I first drove in the US in 2001. Did a lot of uneventful miles across several states. The only place I had a problem was in Florida: got into the wrong lane (e-tag lane) by mistake. Wanted to explain my problem to the attendant but it was unmanned. That particular lane just wouldn't accept cash and there was no way I could reverse out and choose another lane. Gritted my teeth and drove through and sure enough...a click and flash as I drove past.

I was utterly chagrined and was still cursing myself as I approached the next toll...only to do it again! Another click and flash as the camera captured my ashamed face

It was a rental from Budget car. I wanted to inform them about the violations when returning the car but the return was unmanned again (drop the keys off at an airport lot). I figured I would get a ticket in the mail and braced for it.

But nothing happened. On my subsequent visits to the US I was mortally scared they would stop me at Immigration and deport me because of my 2 traffic violations . Even now I wonder what happened...did the Florida authorities ever issue a citation? Did they ignore it because it was a rental car and a foreign license holder? Or did they actually send it and Budget rental folks decided to absorb the cost?

No idea. Incidentally I haven't visited Florida nor used Budget after that. But I feel guilty about it just the same. As someone said here, you are a guest in a foreign country- pay your dues!
There is no need to be worried.
Having just returned from the US after spending nearly two decades there, I can assure you that there is no direct link between police and immigration departments. Having worked in the legal field in the US, I have seen how disconnected various US agencies are from each other. That is how millions of undocumented immigrants survive there for decades!

An unpaid traffic fine can lead to a warrant being issued for your arrest but such warrants are only for that state and do not make it to immigration authorities. On top of that, toll violations are hard to monitor despite the presence of cameras. I have often gone through the wrong lanes (in error) without paying bridge toll and never did I receive any citation in mail. I believe that they lack sufficient manpower to review and track all such violations and often the cameras might not catch the number plate or might simply not produce a clear image or the software might not flag it for review. Enforcement for red light violation cameras and speed cameras is better but even there people slip away for similar reasons as I cited above.

In addition to that, rental companies often end up paying the fine and it is hard for them to charge you after they have closed the bill but that can vary from company to company and the individual handling it.

Last edited by Lobogris : 11th September 2014 at 19:43.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 08:13   #35
BHPian

What a coincidence. I just received a letter from the rental company for my rental last month in USA as they are going to charge me for a toll violation. The procedure is clear from the letter. Attaching a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Got a speeding ticket from New Zealand-image.jpeg  

Lakshman1645 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 10:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
What a coincidence. I just received a letter from the rental company for my rental last month in USA as they are going to charge me for a toll violation. The procedure is clear from the letter. Attaching a picture of it.
Hi

Even we rent car from Enterprise or National when in USA.
In case of any violation or ticket or toll, we do get the invoice but they auto charge it to our card, which was given as back-up at the time of booking.
However you have option to contest the charge. (Not worth)

Please try to get I-Pass (For auto toll payment) and GPS from Enterprise along with Car.
GPS will show toll or you can specify to take you to route without toll.

Yes, Toll-free route is possible for cross country drive as well.
Old 12th September 2014, 22:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
To all those who may have skipped paying the fine - even if you will not visit the country in question ever again, you are contributing to either making it more difficult or more expensive for us remaining Indians to visit said country. The locals may increase rates for Indians to hire, or more expensive insurance, or just start refusing giving rentals to Indians. Today a India DL is accepted by them, but with rise in such incidents, perhaps it may be taken off the list? Given enough incidents, such reactions are bound to happen.

Prasad, I know your intention - You're definitely going to pay up. You can always contest even after paying up the fine.

I was in Qatar ( Middle East) about 15 years back. Qatar, I guess was the First Country in the World to implement GIS, which even Americans were following up. The residents used to pay all the Pending fines of various departments as well as Utility Bills like Electricity, Water, Cable TV etc., at the Immigration Counters, before leaving the Country. If you've a Cheque Bounce case against you, you'll be denied Credit facilities in all the Banks of the Country. Yes, Qatar is a very small country, just like Singapore.

If you've a Driving License of the Western and north Asian Countries, you're issued a Local Driving License without any test. But not If you're Indian. When I inquired, about the reason - I got the answer that the Driving License system of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh & Sri Lanka is very corrupt - therefore they do not accept and you've to go through all the tests. We are definitely, much better than our neighbors, but still the image is set.

Now coming back to @Latentpotential@ :- In a short sentence or a Paragraph, he has conveyed a BIG BIG message to all Indians. There are many instances, which I can go on and on - But I'll try to keep it short:-

Off Topic

Due to mistakes by few Indians, the whole Country's image gets tarnished. I'm not referring to you @Prasad14@, Excuse me, this is General view. There are good things as well as bad things about We Indians. I'll highlight bad things for now. And let us borrow or follow only the Good things of that particular Country, and not the bad ones.

Indians in India, feel like a Hero, when they break rules, Unlike citizens in Western Countries. On roads, I've seen them Stop and Go at the Stop & Go sign, even though there's not a single vehicle around. There's a joke in US that you can get away with a murder, but not traffic offense.

Indians do need a Visa to travel to most of the Countries, it's our fault.

My own friends used to make fun out of me, when I wear the Seat Belt. Now they're wearing, not that they've realized their mistake, but the fear of Traffic Cop.

Children, Women & Senior Citizens are given first preference in most of the places, which we seldom follow. We are not used to standing in a Que, but it is taught in the School from the Kindergarten stage in Western Countries.

Brooklyn Borough residents in New York have to shell out the highest Car Insurance Premium, just because of certain events about 2 decades back of Car thefts by certain section of residents. In the same way the residents of Brampton in Toronto, Canada have to pay high Insurance Premium and this area is full of Indians.

At least now, Let us, We Indians make our Country Proud by following maximum possible rules and let the future generations reap the benefits.

Last edited by jaaz : 12th September 2014 at 22:20.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 22:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You should pay the fine...
The only place I had a problem was in Florida: got into the wrong lane (e-tag lane) by mistake. Wanted to explain my problem to the attendant but it was unmanned. Gritted my teeth and drove through and sure enough...a click and flash as I drove past.

As someone said here, you are a guest in a foreign country- pay your dues!

Well said, Anoop. I had a similar experience in Florida on my first trip there. I drove through the main road, which uses E Tags for tolls instead of diverting onto the side road where a toll booth for cash payments is located. In this case, I informed the assistant at the Avis counter about this incident while returning the car. They had my credit card details on file, and also details of my employer, as I used corporate rates while booking the car. However, for whatever reason, I did not get fined - perhaps they do not have cameras at all locations on these eTag roads. In my case, I have used Avis subsequently in the US as well (albeit not in Florida).

With fines, it's best to pay up. In most jurisdictions, failure to pay a fine is a criminal act, even if it is rarely prosecuted. But why would you want to become a criminal when all you have committed is a minor traffic offence?
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 04:51   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Enterprise and National as well as Hertz and others in the US have a simple system where they pay all your tolls and simply charge you later.
I know it works out more expensive than if one buys a toll tag, but hey, it is not some frightening differential so I really don't mind.
Last couple of times, I have intentionally taken the toll roads so as to reach my destination faster and invariably the toll charges hit my credit card one month or more, after my return to India.
No worries overall.
Old 15th September 2014, 15:49   #40
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember that the Switzerland enforces through court order and asks the local police to act.

Quote:
The city police, accordingly, received Letters Rogatory (LRs) from the Swiss courts. It then issued orders asking the violators to pay fine or face trial in the Swiss courts.
Source

The above article shows that they are serious about collecting fines for traffic violation.

Secondly you run risk on your visa on your next visit to the same country.

Always advisable to pay up if you have violated any rule.

Cheers

KPS
Old 15th September 2014, 16:15   #41
BHPian

Hi prasad14,

I spoke with my younger brother who is a citizen and resides in Australia regarding your case and he says that it doesn't really matter even if you don't pay the fine. The authorities can't do anything about it as you are a foreign (Indian) passport holder plus your are having a foreign (Indian) driving licence. They really can't keep a track of international challans. One of my friends from Australia has numerous traffic/speed violations on his Indian driving license but never pays any fine and keeps going back to Australia two times a year. But, if you're feeling kind of guilty or your inner conscience is bothering you; just pay up man and free your mind...!!!
Old 15th September 2014, 19:53   #42
BHPian

hi
i am sharing my personal experience on speeding tickets in Germany, one i got few years back and one last year. The first one happened like this. It was a Sunday. Having driven a lot (high speeds) on highways, and been stopped and moved inch by inch due to heavy traffic entering the town, my destination, when I came to a village road and though I was driving slow, I was not slow enough for the speed limit on village road (30kmph) and was driving around 35kmph and encountered my first camera shot. I remembered advice from fellow germans to smile at such instance ! I waited for the ticket to come to my rental agency and then to my office and it did happen 2 months later. One of my friends was staying there, and since I had come back to India, i asked him to pay, he did and it was closed. It was 15 EUR and i didnt bother much. I felt grateful for the country which has so much strict driving laws and stringent education and tests to get a DL, and a country that offers so good roads, when I am allowed to drive with my indian DL (when the german authorities have not verified my driving skills in any manner) I felt obligated to pay this much back.
Last year, I was driving along a river bank, cruising around 80-85kmph and the road was empty, and of course the road was winding. I did notice a speed limit sign board for 80kmph but little distance more, i got a flash. I reduced instinctly and remembered that the limit was 80kmph and with tolerance limit of say 5%, I shouldnt have crossed but since I saw the flash, I waited and of course, this time around too, it came 3 months later in another form. My rental company had received the speeding ticket, 1) the speed limit was it seems 60kmph, and 2) they were asked to furnish the details of the driver (thats me) name and address. For that information, my rental agency charged 25 EUR on my corporate credit card. I asked the rental agency for the speeding ticket charge (since i had no contact with the authorities, no address / phone) and they came back 2 weeks later that the authorities dropped charges since I was a foreigner and didnt want to pursue anymore! :-). Well, I was happy and probably this waiver came because I paid the charges diligently last time (who knows?? i had the same DL # and date of expiry).

Of course, I cajoled the rental agency into reversing the postal charges saying if they insisted I pay I would then rather choose other rental agency next time. They obliged and reversed.

My point is if the fees are reasonable and applies to citizens and residents, why shouldn't a foreigner be charged if there is a violation. After all these rules are not exclusive to outsiders . Getting away may seem easy and possible given the impossibility to track the so many visitors and their DL / identities, but acknowledging and honoring their legal system makes us welcome and be on par with citizens and residents with respect to using their infrastructure and services.

regards
Rajesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks