Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 07:28   #781
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Has anybody tried this road from Tindivanam-Pondy highway to ECR? It goes through Olunthiyapattu village and joins ECR near The Dune resort. If one needs to reach any resort north of Pondy (or north of Pondy University to be precise), this seems to be a shorter route (by 12 kms) compared to the Auroville road.

http://goo.gl/maps/V6uwr

I am planning to try this route for my visit to Pondy this week.
Have used this route, mind you the route is pretty narrow after you deviate from the Highway and if a mini bus/tempo comes your way its a real squeeze.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 16:33   #782
BHPian

Did a Bangalore-Pondicherry trip last weekend. The route followed was Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry. Took us a little more than 7 hours to reach Pondicherry with a couple of stops en route. While returning, it took longer because of peak hour traffic in the evening.

All roads were in excellent conditions, however I suggest you byepass all three cities, namely Tindivanam, Vandavasi and Cheyyar if you are taking this route since the roads inside these cities were pretty crowded and slightly confusing as well.

We stayed at St. James Court Beach Resort. This was frankly, the worst part of our trip. The swimming pool was filled with beach sand, food was not so great and the worst part - the A/C didn't work for half the duration of our stay, despite making numerous complaints. Also, note that renting bikes has become illegal in Pondi and I did notice 2 tourists in a rented bike who were being questioned by cops.
Old 13th April 2013, 16:52   #783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
All roads were in excellent conditions, however I suggest you byepass all three cities, namely Tindivanam, Vandavasi and Cheyyar if you are taking this route since the roads inside these cities were pretty crowded and slightly confusing as well.

Did you try the Vandavasi bypass? Rest bypasses are good, but its this one which is a bit difficult.

OT And a trivia:

Since the topic on Vandavasi came up, there was a battle fought here between England and France. And its very easy not to refer to it because, history books refer to as "Battle of Wandiwash" !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wandiwash
Old 13th April 2013, 17:45   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you try the Vandavasi bypass? Rest bypasses are good, but its this one which is a bit difficult.

"Battle of Wandiwash"
Yes, we did take the Vandavasi bypass as well. Roads were in good condition and there wasn't any difficulty in navigating since it is mentioned in Google Maps.

OT: A very interesting piece of information indeed. I was wondering about the origins of the name "Vandavasi" for quite sometime during our trip :-).
Old 15th April 2013, 12:46   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Has anybody tried this road from Tindivanam-Pondy highway to ECR? It goes through Olunthiyapattu village and joins ECR near The Dune resort. If one needs to reach any resort north of Pondy (or north of Pondy University to be precise), this seems to be a shorter route (by 12 kms) compared to the Auroville road.

http://goo.gl/maps/V6uwr

I am planning to try this route for my visit to Pondy this week.
I took this route last week and it turned out to be an excellent alternate to the Auroville route. The road surface is very smooth throughout, except for a few pot holes and some speed breakers. The road is narrow, so if a lorry or a bus comes in your way, you would have to stop and get the left wheels off the road. But this was not a concern as there was hardly any traffic.

There are clear signs on the Tindivanam 4 lane road for Olunthiyapattu and The Dune resort, so this diversion is easy to spot. This diversion comes few kms after the Kiliyanur bypass ends.
Old 16th April 2013, 05:02   #786
BANNED

what would be the driving direction from the Dune Eco village to Paradise Beach?

Can we hire a cycle and go there? Are there Cyclewalas available to hire one?

Deepali
Old 16th April 2013, 16:39   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepalivg View Post
what would be the driving direction from the Dune Eco village to Paradise Beach?

Can we hire a cycle and go there? Are there Cyclewalas available to hire one?

Deepali
For driving directions, you can check google maps. I was at the Dune last week and know that the Dune resort provides cycles (as complimentary) for all guests, but these cycles are suited for usage within the resort are not good enough for driving 50+ kms (to & fro Paradise Beach). You can talk to the person at the reception desk who is very knowledgeable about Pondy for best cycling options and routes.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 16th April 2013 at 16:55.
Old 16th April 2013, 23:57   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Hi Guys,

I just completed a weekend trip to Pondicherry...
OT but just wanted to check with you how is the weather round this time of the year? I went it Feb and the heat took a huge toll on me. I fell sick through the drive under the hot sun and daytime Pondi was unbearable in Feb itself.
Old 17th April 2013, 08:22   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
OT but just wanted to check with you how is the weather round this time of the year? I went it Feb and the heat took a huge toll on me. I fell sick through the drive under the hot sun and daytime Pondi was unbearable in Feb itself.
It would be really hot. You dont want to hit Pondicherry at this time. Unless of course you plan to be in a resort and pool during day and hit the beach by evening. And follow it up by a late evening continental dinner!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 01:16   #790
BANNED

I hope 3G connectivity is available in such small towns to navigate since I am planning to travel this weekend
Old 18th April 2013, 22:11   #791
BHPian

Quote:
I hope 3G connectivity is available in such small towns to navigate since I am planning to travel this weekend
3G connectivity is not available in many small towns en route to Pondicherry. We were on 2G for around 60% of the trip. However, this posed no issues in finding our way to Pondi.
Old 18th April 2013, 23:41   #792
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can also cache the maps for the route. So in spite of the connectivity, you would still have the map.
Old 23rd April 2013, 23:05   #793
BHPian

Headed to Pondy this weekend via Arcot and Tindivanam. College road is the usual 'left turn' to bye pass Tindivanam. On google map I noticed an earlier left after Ayanar Appan Aalayam, Pattanam where the bye pass road commences and this is the same road which college road meets up further down. Has anyone taken the byepass from Pattanam ?
Old 24th April 2013, 07:19   #794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Headed to Pondy this weekend via Arcot and Tindivanam. College road is the usual 'left turn' to bye pass Tindivanam. On google map I noticed an earlier left after Ayanar Appan Aalayam, Pattanam where the bye pass road commences and this is the same road which college road meets up further down. Has anyone taken the byepass from Pattanam ?
That IS the new college bypass road which is being referred to in this thread.
You have to take left at the point which you refer to.

See Ravi's post (on this same thread). Specifically see the road map snap that he has posted. That should clear your doubt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2673152

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2013 at 07:22.
Old 24th April 2013, 10:10   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That IS the new college bypass road which is being referred to in this thread.
You have to take left at the point which you refer to.

See Ravi's post (on this same thread). Specifically see the road map snap that he has posted. That should clear your doubt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2673152
No shred of doubt left ...thanks Ampere

Most Viewed