Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2007, 16:17   #1

Mumbai to Surat : Route Queries

hey friends i plan to go to surat from mumbai tomorrow morning....!!

My plan is to leave mumbai early morning, reach daman, have got a work to do in daman and then head on to surat. My car is hyundai santro.

Can ne1 give me some info regarding driving directions, good vegetarian food joints on the mumbai daman and the daman-surat route, approximate distance, condition of roads, and some exciting places to visit near daman, good beaches at daman etc.....!!!
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great road all the way on NH8 from Mumbai to Surat. 260 kms to Surat Bypass + 18 kms into the city, I am very fast, always taking less than 5 hours. Lots of Reliance petrol pumps, some with A1 plazas. Expect heavy traffic levaing Mumbai whatever be the time of day. After Vapi, traffic eases up a bit.

Daman - depends on which part of Daman you want to go, because the bridge between the north and south parts (Moti Damn) across teh River Damanganga is broken and there is no car ferry across. For North side, enter from Vapi (10 kms). For Moti Daman (south side), turn off NH8 after Bhilad (Gujarat border).
Old 2nd March 2007, 23:07   #3
BHPian

I know its a bit late pal but still.....
For Surat take the left after Karoda toll plaza......right goes to Bardoli.
Be careful of the huge speedbreakers on the highway 12 kms before Navsari. Cover a part of your RHS headlight with a yellow colour tape.
All the best!
Old 5th March 2007, 00:11   #4

hey guys m back from the daman trip......here are some of the pics

a jain derasar at bhilad on NH8

beach facing bungalow in daman

devka beach

view from my hotel room

beautiful view while driving

daman jetty

Old 5th March 2007, 14:10   #5
BHPian

bombayblue, nice pics. Hope you found your way around.

az
Old 10th October 2008, 15:15   #6
F50
Senior - BHPian

Bump

How are the roads from Mumbai to Surat at present? They were pretty bad during monsoon, still the same or improved?

Im leaving (mostly) on Sunday afternoon (2ish)

Any insights? @ hvkumar?
Old 10th October 2008, 16:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Bump

How are the roads from Mumbai to Surat at present? They were pretty bad during monsoon, still the same or improved?

Im leaving (mostly) on Sunday afternoon (2ish)

Any insights? @ hvkumar?
Excellent, except for some bad sections near Vasai as you leave Bombay (post-Ghodbunder).
Old 10th October 2008, 17:54   #8
F50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information hvkumar!

I think my trip got delayed by 2 days. But doesnt matter, I know good roads are waiting. Im just waiting to take Vdi on the highway.
Old 11th October 2008, 01:01   #9
BHPian

F50, drive safe and stay away from trucks. There are too many trucks on that road.
Old 18th February 2010, 19:33   #10
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I plan to go to Surat from Mumbai on Wednesday (24th Feb) by car. I would be grateful if you guys let me know the condition of roads, distance and time taken to Surat.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Hi,

I plan to go to Surat from Mumbai on Wednesday (24th Feb) by car. I would be grateful if you guys let me know the condition of roads, distance and time taken to Surat.
Distance from Ghodbunder to Surat bypass, 245 kms
Disrtance to city centre, 18 kms
Road condition is excellent.
Time taken will be 4-5 hours from Ghodbunder.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Hi,

I travelled to upto Navsari last weekend. The roads are excellent, but there are too many diversions due to new flyovers being constructed. Add an additional hour if you are travelling in the morning. I would not advise night time driving since many of these diversions are not well marked, and they have put up temporary speedbumps which can be detrimental at high speeds.

Also, please check your toll tickets. Ensure they mention the correct registration no. of your car. I have seen local boys picking up tickets and the toll booths giving these old tickets for 45 bucks. Insist on a new ticket and do not handover the old one. Discard the ticket only after you reach your destination. The toll plaza at Bagwada is notorious for this activity.

Drive safe and have a pleasant journey.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:46   #13
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for your super quick response. Would post my review after the visit.

@ Abdriver2000 - Thank you for the information on the top plaza. Will be extra cautious.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:51   #14
BHPian

Yes, they dodge with the car registration numbers in the toll receipt. All of the above is true. Just to add a little..the stretch of highways where re-layering was necessary has been postponed, re-layering the good ones first.
Old 10th February 2011, 01:15   #15
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to surat.....!

Hi,
Am planning a drive down from Mumbai to Ahd on Feb 13. I have heard that the going is pretty slow till Surat. Anybody done this lately? After reading all the great stuff on the GQ, I was hoping to get to Ahd in 5-6 hours. Is that too unrealistic?

How does this compare with Mumbai-Kolhapur, for instance? I hear of people doing that in 5-6 hours. Or even Mumbai-Nashik? I did Nashik-Mumbai in 2:30 12 days back without even pushing hard. The multi-laning at Kasara has really made a big diff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks