Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 19:29   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Had an enjoyable drive today from Madras back home. Being a working day, especially after the long holidays, I was worried about traffic while exiting the city.
Surprisingly except for a few pockets, it was quite free compared to the earlier times I have exited the city during morning. I guess leaving at 9am made me escape the factory and college buses too.
From Krishnagiri, there was an increase in traffic, but not bad and fast tag helped too. The only place I got bogged down was nearing forum signal because of white topping.

Did Vadalpani to home in Blore east in 5 hours. A change from the standard 6 hrs.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:27   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Way better than no warnings at all. One of the barricades in Vaniyambadi-Pallikonda stretch was reinforced with a huge boulder
The issue I have with this flashing lights are that they are too bright for warning lights, due to which you will not be able to view any smaller vehicles which will be approaching the junction from side roads.

Regarding the boulder like barricade, I too saw the same. It is infact a huge flower pot kind of thing filled with sand. I noticed that some vehicle had hit it and spilled the sand across road when I was returning from Chennai last weekend.
Old 4th January 2019, 07:02   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The issue I have with this flashing lights are that they are too bright for warning lights, due to which you will not be able to view any smaller vehicles which will be approachingq the junction from side roads.

Regarding the boulder like barricade, I too saw the same. It is infact a huge flower pot kind of thing filled with sand. I noticed that some vehicle had hit it and spilled the sand across road when I was returning from Chennai last weekend.
Some signals have just a single flashing traffic light but nobody bothers with them and they just try to breeze past at 160+. The lights shouldn't flash I think and they need to be other colours eg just red LED should do.

I haven't seen flower pots but I have seen barricades eg near Ambur / Ranipet and others on the GST road that use oil drums filled with sand and stacked one stop the other.
Old 4th January 2019, 08:06   #3109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Some signals have just a single flashing traffic light but nobody bothers with them and they just try to breeze past at 160+. The lights shouldn't flash I think and they need to be other colours eg just red LED should do.
Maybe not 160+, but definitely in the 3 digit figures. Agree on the red color, but they have to flash because a non-flashing red light has a universal meaning - STOP. That's not the case here; so flashing is ideal.

Another working option I have noticed that works decently within Chennai and Mumbai city is the police flash colors that are put on stationary vehicles (even without cops in them); it automatically ensures a good majority to reduce speeds from afar.

Quote:
I haven't seen flower pots but I have seen barricades eg near Ambur / Ranipet and others on the GST road that use oil drums filled with sand and stacked one stop the other.
My grouse is with those barricades being present even at night when there is no need; potentially leading to accidents.
Old 4th January 2019, 08:11   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
My grouse is with those barricades being present even at night when there is no need; potentially leading to accidents.
Maybe not night but 3-4 am onwards there's always a risk of some villager crossing the road.

Those areas just past Attibele have people running full speed across the highway even at 4 AM so I don't hit the accelerator till I clear Hosur.

Even late at night this can happen - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62774142.cms
Old 4th January 2019, 08:24   #3111
Senior - BHPian

I feel these lights are set up right just the way they are.

The reason being, anyone with some road sense will know that they have to slow down as much as possible when they see the number of lights and colors flashing from a distance. They have gone to the extent of placing the lights much ahead of the intersection at regular intervals to warn you to slow down as well.

These intersections become dangerous, with a mix of locals crossing the road and highway vehicles not slowing down. Putting up a signalling system on a highway doesn't make sense, I guess this is the next best option.

Last edited by tharian : 4th January 2019 at 08:25.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:23   #3112
BHPian

Folks @ Bengaluru. I need inputs to avoid toll and grid lock traffic (If any) to drive from Chennai (Starting from West tambaram) to here.
2nd Cross, 4th Main Road, Srinidhi Layout, JP Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560078

Pls let me know...

Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:13   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
Chennai (Starting from West tambaram) to here.
2nd Cross, 4th Main Road, Srinidhi Layout, JP Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560078
I wouldn't bother about toll free routes esp. if you are going there the first time. Start from Madras late afternoon (430 pm like). This way you should be at E-City around 1045-1100 pm. Take NICE, exit at Kanakapura Road towards the City. The place you are referring (JP Nagar 8th Phase) should be within 5 km exiting into Kanakapura Road
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 17:30   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't bother about toll free routes esp. if you are going there the first time. Start from Madras late afternoon (430 pm like). This way you should be at E-City around 1045-1100 pm. Take NICE, exit at Kanakapura Road towards the City. The place you are referring (JP Nagar 8th Phase) should be within 5 km exiting into Kanakapura Road
@narayan Ji. Yes toll doesnt matter, it a business visit , So I would start early as 4 am. I have been before but heard there is route to avoid Attebele toll mess and enter NICE or city, so just asked.
Thanks much!
Old 5th January 2019, 11:10   #3115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes agree on the high speed crossing part. However, those who manage to do that may still do that, albeit partially blinded with lights too.

I am not saying fixing the lights is a bad idea, my grouse is that they are too bright and blinding and that makes it difficult to spot pedestrians or two wheelers from a distance even after slowing down.

The ideal solution would be to have underpass like it is been done for many of the junctions past Krishnagiri. But then that again is a hope.
Old 5th January 2019, 21:53   #3116
Distinguished - BHPian

I just completed a Bangalore - Chennai & return. Love the roads - from Chennai, the roads after Ranipet is really good. There are small potholes from Porur till Ranipet and one just need to be a little cautious.

Had done the Chennai - Ranipet - Chittor - K.R Puram - Hebbal route too, twice in the past 2-3 months. The most recent time I did it, roads construction has gained a lot more ground and the entire stretch should be good in less than an year. It'll be a hoot to drive this route after that. However, as of now, I still prefer the Ranipet - Vellore stretch, get to e-City and then drive to Hebbal.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 12:29   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
11 am Vadapalani and Silk Board 330pm is impressive. The closest I've got to that is starting at 1230 am T. Nagar and reaching NICE Tumkur exit at 6am.
My max speed was 110 and most of the time it was 100, and used cruise control in most part between vellore to Krishnagiri. So it was a relaxed drive. Doing high speeds is not really going to save time, but adds risk and stress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The ideal solution would be to have underpass like it is been done for many of the junctions past Krishnagiri. But then that again is a hope.
I hope they construct a flyover to cross Ambur to avoid 2 signals that will bring moving traffic to grinding halt. I wonder why NHAI missed only Ambur and didn't construct a flyover like they did in many intersections closer to Krishnagiri.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 11:54   #3118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
My max speed was 110 and most of the time it was 100, and used cruise control in most part between vellore to Krishnagiri.
I had near empty roads to my advantage. T.Nagar to Nemili Toll was 45 mins, Nemili - Chennasamuram was 50 min. 110 was the most I touched too.

Blame it on the unusual start timing

Quote:
I hope they construct a flyover to cross Ambur to avoid 2 signals that will bring moving traffic to grinding halt
I guess Ambur's problem is with land acquisition. There's one other location near Vaniyambadi after a bridge where the 3 lanes become 2 and then widen again, and this is only on the Bangalore bound side I remember.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 13:06   #3119
BHPian

Completed a Chennai-Bangy-Chennai run on 7Jan. Started at West tambaram at 530am to reached JP nagar 7th Phase at 1045am. Took a break at Post Ambur toll at Sai Sanjeev hotel. Traffic was heavy post reaching Hosur as expected but manageable.
Return started at 515pm fro JP nagar again, reached Shoolagiri Reliance bunk at 630pm for quick break. Dinner break again near Ambur for 30 minutes reached home around 11pm. Some bad potholes here and there or otherwise journey was breeze.

Thanks all
Reisender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 21:10   #3120
BHPian

Any route suggestions to reach Mahabalipuram from JP Nagar 7th Phase, Bangalore ?

Google maps shows via Krishnagiri - Chengam - Tindivanam or should I be taking the alternate route via Vellore - Kanchipuram ?
This may have been discussed here already, but wanted to get the latest update and a recommended route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks