Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 09:54   #2356
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz581993Mille View Post
Hi guys, I drove to bangalore from Mahindra City, Chennai last weekend.
Thanks for the update!
What was the route you took finally from Mahindra City to reach the NH46 ?
Old 15th June 2016, 12:10   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
For the start time, Vandalur-Thirumazhisai would be the fastest. Normal timings, Singaperumal Koil-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur would be choice of route.

I've done a similar start time, stopped at the Kamat past Krishnagiri (approx 270 km) at 740 am. I encountered just 1 or 2 trucks the entire stretch between T.Nagar and Pennalur.

Had entered E-City in evening traffic last year, wasn't this bad. Took about 30-40 mins from Attibele.
Old 15th June 2016, 16:09   #2358
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update!
I took the SP Koil-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur route. Suresh_gs suggested the Walajahbad-Kancheepuram route but since I've never been in that route, I decided to stick with SP Koil-Oragadam. The expansion works are still under progress and some parts of it have been completed with nice stretches but there's a lot remaining to be completed. Traffic was minimal by the time I started (4.45AM) and also while I was returning as well by about 11AM.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 16:47   #2359
BHPian

Hi Friends. I will be driving to Chennai on 29th morning, leaving BTM layout at 6:00 AM. I will be staying at a Hotel Treebo Angson, Kalakshetra Avenue, 2nd Street, ,
Thiruvanmayur. Can you please enlighten me on the following:

1. How is the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Ranipet-Chennai road condition? I hear that after Vellore, the roads are not particularly good. Is it true?
2. What is the best route to Thiruvanmayur from Sriperumbudur?

Thanks.
Old 25th June 2016, 17:00   #2360
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
1. How is the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Ranipet-Chennai road condition? I hear that after Vellore, the roads are not particularly good. Is it true?
The route is good and since you're starting from BTM Layout it is easy to get on to Hosur Road. I would suggest an earlier start if possible, say by 5am.

The alternative is via KR Puram/Old Madras road but you get 4 laned roads only till the Karnataka border just beyond Mulbagal, beyond that the Andhra and TN sections are all 2 laned till Ranipet & Walajahpet where you join the NH46 again.

Either way you will still encounter the heavily patched section between Vellore and Sriperumbudur.

*For Thiruvanmiyur - I'm not too sure about this but I think the Sriperumbudur-GST Road via Tambaram may also be an option and this way you can avoid getting into the city via Kathipara and Mount Road.

Last edited by NPV : 25th June 2016 at 17:05.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 17:14   #2361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. What is the best route to Thiruvanmayur from Sriperumbudur?
Quote:
*For Thiruvanmiyur - I'm not too sure about this but I think the Sriperumbudur-GST Road via Tambaram may also be an option and this way you can avoid getting into the city via Kathipara and Mount Road.
Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Tambram-Pallavaram-OMR-Thiruvanmiyur

Thats the best option in my opinion. 200ft Radial Ring road from Pallavaram is very good from that point of view.

If you are driving for the first time, I am not sure, if you can correctly spot the Sriperumbudur-Tambaram SH.

Here is the link that I am referring to: RouteLink

I take this SH while going to Chennai all the time. Works very well. But please be aware there are enough blind turns and T-Junctions. For first timers, its very easy to get lost. Ask for routes or keep GPS in handy.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 17:45   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
What is the best route to Thiruvanmayur from Sriperumbudur?
Why do you want to come till Sriperumbudur? You can take Oragadam - Vandalur - Chrompet - Thuraipakkam - Thiruvanmiyur.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 25th June 2016 at 17:49.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 17:54   #2363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Why do you want to come till Sriperumbudur? You can take Oragadam - Vandalur - Chrompet - Thuraipakkam - Thiruvanmiyur.
How do we get to Oragadam from NH4? Is there an option other than Sriperumbudur? (You will need to drive to Rajiv Gandhi memorial. Isnt it?) The other reason, why I have been avoiding Orgadam option is because one will then need to go past Tambaram bus stand on GST from Vandalur.

Gandhi road option bypasses that aspect (ref link in my previous post). Has there been any change of late on that front? Is there a way one can get to GST beyond Tambram bustand from Vandalur? If yes that would be great.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 18:00   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How do we get to Oragadam from NH4? Is there an option other than Sriperumbudur?
If his intention is not to go via Kathipara, then I would suggest him to come to Oragadam via Kanchipuram - Walajabad - Oragadam instead of taking Sriperumbudur - Manimangalam - Tambaram / Sriperumbudur - Oragadam.

Sriperumbudur - Manimangalam - Tambaram route will be confusing if he takes this route for the first time. If he already know this route, then what you suggested is a good option.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 25th June 2016 at 18:20.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 20:00   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post

Why not via main city? In afternoon time provided he is leaving at 5, going via city and raj bhavan and lb road is straight forward. If it is early morning and late evening peak hour then alternate routes yes.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 00:03   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
leaving BTM layout at 6:00 AM. I will be staying at a Hotel Treebo Angson, Thiruvanmiyur.
I've not tried the alternate routes mentioned, and always took the conventional route.

What I would suggest is to time the Madras entry correctly. This way you'll avoid traffic in city roads you have to deal with. Living in BTM gives you a relatively easy exit out of Bangalore.

The best time to enter is before 0800 in the morning, 1330-1700 in the evening (though you might see some school traffic starting 1530ish) and post 2130. This will translate to an approximate 0730-0800 am or 1600 start from BTM. You'll find relatively predictable and free flow traffic.

I've mostly preferred entering after 2200, I delay the entry by waiting out a little more at the dinner pit stop

While exiting town, I'd suggest 1430-1530 start.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 17:01   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Tambram-Pallavaram-OMR-Thiruvanmiyur

If you are driving for the first time, I am not sure, if you can correctly spot the Sriperumbudur-Tambaram SH.

Here is the link that I am referring to: RouteLink

I take this SH while going to Chennai all the time. Works very well. But please be aware there are enough blind turns and T-Junctions. For first timers, its very easy to get lost. Ask for routes or keep GPS in handy.
Thank you sir. I have driven to Chennai before, but have never taken this route. Checked the google maps, on the right turn from Sriperumbudur. This is the link.

Route
Old 26th June 2016, 19:11   #2368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you sir. I have driven to Chennai before, but have never taken this route. Checked the google maps, on the right turn from Sriperumbudur. This is the link.
A modified version:

Route Link

- Basically dont drive till Gundy, but exit at Pallavaram to to take the radial ring road to OMR. That works much better.

As regards to the turning at Sriperumbudur:

- Point to note: You have two exits from NH4 at the same point. One is to Oragadam while the other is for Tambaram.
- You drive till Gandhi memorial, take a U and come back to the exit.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 20:52   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Did the Vellore to Chennai stretch after almost six months and found the 'highway' in poor condition. This comparison is after vellore-bangalore and vellore-coimbatore drives in the last few months where the roads were fantastic.
I wonder why this particular stretch is not being maintained when other sections are good.
Looks like bad quality to start off with and now being unable / not willing to fix it properly.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 20:44   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Did the Vellore to Chennai stretch after almost six months and found the 'highway' in poor condition.
I wonder why this particular stretch is not being maintained when other sections are good.
Hi, it used to be that the "highway" from Chennai to the Walajah toll used to be 2-laned & pot-holed, this is the first ~100 Kms from Chennai on the Sriperumbudur-Kanchipuram stretch.
The highway from the Walajah toll onwards was 3-laned & very good.
The affected stretch is maintained by Essel-Tollways & they've been in a lot of trouble over the quality of their stretch.
But each time they repair it just enough to satisfy the powers that be & continue to collect toll !
When I raised a complaint via the pgportal, the reply I got from the NHAI was that this stretch is now being 3-laned & that the repair work of the existing 2-lanes will be taken up along with the 3-laning.
Sad to see that it's still bad
How has the 3-laning progressed ( if at all ) ?
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks