Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2012, 14:36   #931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Just after the vellore toll, there is a sign board that says Pallikonda at right.

This is perhaps the first right after the toll both. Cannot miss this road. This is to me the fastest route to Bangalore through OMR.

Another important update to add is that the sun light falls beautifully between the trees and the morning image in this route is very pleasing.

Roads from Gudiyatham for first 8kms is two lane. For next 2 kms becomes 1.2 lanes. Then the forest reserve starts and you drive through a small mountain on some not bad roads(Actually very decent roads).This extends for another 8-10 kms.

The plains after the second check post is mildly wider than single lane with good shoulders which is getting build in some places as well.

Lots of scope to stop and take pictures
This is the route I take regularly. One of the most scenic ones, now with trees covering the roads, hills, landscape. and yes it is the first right after pallikonda toll booth. The mountain is where tamilnadu border ends and andha starts.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:19   #932
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
This is the route I take regularly. One of the most scenic ones, now with trees covering the roads, hills, landscape. and yes it is the first right after pallikonda toll booth. The mountain is where tamilnadu border ends and andha starts.
Looks like a nice place for a weekend drive on this road! So which is more scenic?
Palamaner-Gudiyatham or Venkatagirikota-Gudiyatham?

Or plan a Golden Temple visit and return. Couples with a good drive and also a good temple visit!

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2012 at 15:20.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:41   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Looks like a nice place for a weekend drive on this road! So which is more scenic?
Palamaner-Gudiyatham or Venkatagirikota-Gudiyatham?

Or plan a Golden Temple visit and return. Couples with a good drive and also a good temple visit!
Here is a photo from the stretch before gudiyatham. I am not aware of the v.kota route to comment.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-image3125190807.jpg
prabhuferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 21:54   #934
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need help again - one more chance for a Chennai drive (it's been elusive so far since earlier trip was cancelled last minute due to unavoidable circumstances).
Need to attend a function near Mahalingapuram Ayyappa temple.
1. Plan to start at 5am on Saturday morning and take this route:
Bangalore-Chittoor-Arcot-Chennai - Being my first time on a selfdrive trip I think this would be least confusing, do let me know if I should take any other route (I live close to K R Puram so Old Madras Road is close by).

2. Also need suggestions on decent hotel accomodation, requirements:
a.Parking
b.Close to Mahalingapuram and T Nagar (in case we go shopping)
c.Budget < 3.5k
How about Palmgrove/Woodlands ? I've stayed here few years ago but don't know if it fits above requirements.

3. To reach Mahalingapuram/T Nagar, can I take this route?
Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy-Ashok Nagar-Vadapalani-T Nagar, doesn't mean I know the route (I got this from a friend!).

Last edited by NPV : 8th August 2012 at 21:57.
Old 9th August 2012, 00:32   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
decent hotel accomodation, requirements:
a.Parking
b.Close to Mahalingapuram and T Nagar (in case we go shopping)
c.Budget < 3.5k
Apart from Palmgrove, few in T.Nagar I can think of DeeCee Manor, Lotus Serviced Apartments in Burkit Road and Raj Palace, Blossom Serviced Apartment (I guess has basement parking, not sure, please check!) on Thanikachalam Road. Raj Palace has front area parking, but can't park more than 5 vehicles here (there aren't more than that parked here anyway). Other 2 defly have parking, and all will be within your budget! There are upshot ones like Residency, Courtyard Marriott et al, but rates are way beyond what you quote All these places are within a km from Usman Road/Pondy Bazaar.

Mahalingapuram Ayyappan Temple shouldn't take more than 15 min* (this timings is not valid for 530-830pm timings on Saturday evening. Infact taking your vehicle out at that timings in this area is downright suicidal )

Quote:
3. To reach Mahalingapuram/T Nagar, can I take this route? Poonamallee-Porur-Guindy-Ashok Nagar-Vadapalani-T Nagar, doesn't mean I know the route (I got this from a friend!).
If you start at 5am Indian Stretchable Time, you should be entering Sriperumbudur 11ish. Take Poondamalee Bypass, go about 5-6 km you should see a right turn for Porur-Guindy (your opposite lane will be a bridge and the right turn will go under it). Go about 2-3 km, there will be a traffic signal, take a left here (you'll turn almost like a hair pin bend). Keep going straight...You'll cross Kattupakkam-Iyyappanthangal-Ramachandra Medical College-Infamous Porur Junction-Porur Shell on right-DLF on right-St Thomas Mount (where the road will turn left 90 degree). This will land you straight into Kathipara. Go towards Guindy, you'll cross Guindy railway station on your right-SPIC-ABT showroom (traffic signal here). Start staying on the left side once you cross SPIC, once you cross ABT signal the road will hit a T-junction in 200-300 m(there's a signal here), take a left and continue on the same road. You'll cross 4 more signals in a short span, the 5th signal (Nandanam signal) is where you need to take a left to get into T.Nagar.

This is what I always take to get home, this route has lots of traffic but is not stagnant one.

Check your PM BTW.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 00:53   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
I wish this discussion had happened last month - would have definitely taken this route instead of the Mulbagal - Chittor - Vellore route (OMR) or the utterly boring Vellore - Krishnagiri route. What a pity, well guess I'll reserve this for the next time when I head south again!
Old 9th August 2012, 17:17   #937
BHPian

Hi all,

It is surprising to see so many bhpians travelling between bangalore and chennai. I think we should car-pool if we travel alone.
I do chennai-bangalore-chennai atleast once a month, and i usually drive alone. I have always been taking the GQ, thanks to the forum i am gonna take the OMR next weekend.
I have never travelled through Old Madras Road and i need some inputs,

I am planning to start at 5am and i have to reach Vasanth Nagar (near Cantonment) as early as possible.
-I am not particular about hotels or restaurants
-I would prefer minimum traffic route
Which route do i take from Pallikonda to Mullbagal and what are the signboards to lookout for.

Thanks
-Vipin
Old 10th August 2012, 00:49   #938
Senior - BHPian

I just reached chennai and i took the OMR, Mulbagal, Palamenar, Pallikonda, Vellore route. Even with a 45 min stop to change spare wheel for a puncture it took me around 5 hours. Started at 6 reached at 1125 and around 11 @ Nokia.

The Palamenar - Pallikonda route is sheer heaven and it may be ruined by rains. So try this route before its too late.

Its a superb route through ghats and the number or trucks or car i saw was less than 1o throughout this stretch. 40 kms from Palamenar to Pallikonda and it takes around 30 minutes.

In this whole trip i think i may have ruined a tyre as i ran the car with the flat tyre for sometime since i couldnt stop right in the single lane road with cars following me. I found a good shoulder and stopped. I think i may have compromised the tyres. Going to check that tomorrow.

Overall i will stick to this route for the fastest time to Bangalore specially the Hebbel region.

Vampirevipin- Take pallikonda and then palamenar(Straight road after you hit guidyatham. Dont take left or right in Gudiyatham.Just go straight. After 200 meters the roads get better, lonely and fresh air all around.

Take this route to reach Mulbagal.

Time to reach this spot from Nokia is around 90-120 Minutes. This 40km stretch would take max 60 minutes.

From there to reach mulbagal - another 30-45 minutes

From Mulbagal to Hebel - Takes around 60-75 minutes.

Have given both lowest range and Highest range possible.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 07:22   #939
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Questions regarding the Chittoor route:
I have seen the Coffee Day near the Chittoor Bypass (on the left hand side there is Hotel Bans also nearby).
1. I should turn right just after the Coffee Day ? Any signage/landmark here ?
2. I should then go towards Arcot instead of Vellore to avoid Wallajah ? from the map, it seems like a turn off to left for Arcot. Any signage/landmark for this ? (just in case I reach too early and don't find people to ask around).

Thanks @narayans80 for the detailed directions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Infact taking your vehicle out at that timings in this area is downright suicidal )
Absolutely no plan to use the car for local commute once I reach the hotel and check-in. All local travel is by Auto Rickshaw/walk.

Quote:
If you start at 5am Indian Stretchable Time, you should be entering Sriperumbudur 11ish. Take Poondamalee Bypass
From our past experiences of (early morning) drives, I think we will be able to keep the 'stretch' to under 15 minutes.
Was Poondamalee a typo or a subtle one for humour ?

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2012 at 07:23.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:32   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. I should then go towards Arcot instead of Vellore to avoid Wallajah ? from the map, it seems like a turn off to left for Arcot. Any signage/landmark for this ? (just in case I reach too early and don't find people to ask around).
Actually you shouldn't see Arcot on your way from Chittoor to Madras. Its Ranipet that you'll see on the way. At the GQ intersection Madras will be towards left and Arcot, Vellore on right.

Just to give an idea: On the GQ coming from Madras, Chittoor turnoff is ~ 115 km milestone and Arcot turnoff (for Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Pondy) past Palar Bridge is at 119 km.

Quote:
Was Poondamalee a typo or a subtle one for humour ?
Its just I've always written that way, and that how it is on the milestone boards as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I just reached chennai and i took the OMR, Mulbagal, Palamenar, Pallikonda, Vellore route. Even with a 45 min stop to change spare wheel for a puncture it took me around 5 hours. Started at 6 reached at 1125 and around 11 @ Nokia.
Are you in Oragadam ? That would kind of explain your timings to Nokia factory

One question regarding Palamaner-Pallikonda, how is the turnoff at Palamaner towards Gudiyatham marked as ?

Last edited by narayans80 : 10th August 2012 at 08:37.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:48   #941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
One question regarding Palamaner-Pallikonda, how is the turnoff at Palamaner towards Gudiyatham marked as ?
I think turning is at the very point where there is an opposite turn to Madanapalle.
In other words its a cross road at that junction. Hope that helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 09:52   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

I think turning is at the very point where there is an opposite turn to Madanapalle.
In other words its a cross road at that junction. Hope that helps.
You are right. Actually just before palamaner, when coming from Bangalore you will see a small lake/pond/marsh land on the right side. After 100 metres you will see a left for madanapalle. Diagonally opposite to this you will see a road, and a huge yellow board hidden behind trees which says gudiyattam 40 Kms. Also from the RTO check post before palamaner this junction should be 5 Kms max. You can ask people there as well.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:38   #943
BHPian

[quote=VW2010;2867258]I just reached chennai and i took the OMR, Mulbagal, Palamenar, Pallikonda, Vellore route. Even with a 45 min stop to change spare wheel for a puncture it took me around 5 hours. Started at 6 reached at 1125 and around 11 @ Nokia.

The Palamenar - Pallikonda route is sheer heaven and it may be ruined by rains. So try this route before its too late.

Its a superb route through ghats and the number or trucks or car i saw was less than 1o throughout this stretch. 40 kms from Palamenar to Pallikonda and it takes around 30 minutes.

In this whole trip i think i may have ruined a tyre as i ran the car with the flat tyre for sometime since i couldnt stop right in the single lane road with cars following me. I found a good shoulder and stopped. I think i may have compromised the tyres. Going to check that tomorrow.

Overall i will stick to this route for the fastest time to Bangalore specially the Hebbel region.

Vampirevipin- Take pallikonda and then palamenar(Straight road after you hit guidyatham. Dont take left or right in Gudiyatham.Just go straight. After 200 meters the roads get better, lonely and fresh air all around.

Thanks VW2010,

I Shall definitely take the route that you recommend.
One question, are there any sign boards to look out for when i reach Palmaner to reach Mulbagal?

Thanks,
Vipin
Old 10th August 2012, 11:42   #944
Senior - BHPian

Just to help you better there is an apollo medicals on the right side.

The road does not appear as a state highway and feels more like a normal suburb road.

Once you enter the market ask for gudiyatham. There are lot of chances that you will miss this road for the board is hidden and the road is just simple.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:40   #945
BHPian

Did Chennai- Bangalore - Chennai and Chennai-Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Chennai recently on a cab (Fiesta and Etios) and FORCE travellor. Hosur Krishnagiri is a pain due to the six laning and slow moving trucks. Did some very decent speeds

Some decent veg options for food from this trip and earlier trips are

a) Muffasas/Mussasfas - immediately on the left after cross the vaniyambadi while coming from Bangalore
b) Brindavan 7kms after crossing ambur while coming from Bangalore (right after the sugar mills) - though closed yesterday for maintenance
c) Sakthi Saravana at Sunguvarchatiram when coming from Bangalore
d) Ariya Bhavan and Cafe Coffee day at HP COCO outlet a few kms before Pallikonda toll (when coming from Chennai)
e) Sakthi ganapathi near Kanchipuram (when coming from Chennai)
f) A2B, Kamat between Krishnagiri - Hosur
g) Ariyaas in Vellore on the left while coming from Bangalore below one of those flyovers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks