Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2017, 20:20   #2581
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Though my work was done within a few hours and I could have returned in the evening, the wife had forced me to book a hotel room which was non-refundable; so I checked in, took a bath and napped. Woke up again at around 12:45 AM, and decided on a whim to start back (so that I could reach Bangalore before the Monday madness starts)
I think the idea was good since you got some rest as well as missed the madness of Sunday traffic, am quite sure Krishnagiri and Attibele tolls would have been worse than what you experienced in the morning, see my experience detailed in the Kerala roads and FasTag threads.
I'm guessing you could have started a tad later, say 2-3am and things could have been better ?
Old 31st January 2017, 07:44   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm guessing you could have started a tad later, say 2-3am and things could have been better ?
Then I'd have hit the Silk Board-ORR-Bellandur in its full morning ferocity; which I wanted to avoid. I think I should have started a bit earlier - say between 11 and 12 - and cleared Krishnagiri and Attibele by 4:30 latest.

Couple of things. Be aware!

- Every overnight trip of mine, I have encountered heavy fog in the Krishnagiri-Shoolagiri section.

- The ambient temperature drops quite rapidly after Krishnagiri; I was dressed in t-shirt and shorts and suffered a lot.

Yet, overnighting is generally quite pleasant, without any of the distractions of a day drive (bikes, pedestrians, tractors, local buses, autos...).
Old 31st January 2017, 07:55   #2583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Then I'd have hit the Silk Board-ORR-Bellandur in its full morning ferocity; which I wanted to avoid. I think I should have started a bit earlier - say between 11 and 12 - and cleared Krishnagiri and Attibele by 4:30 latest.
- Agreed about fog on the Krishnagiri-Hosur section.
- Also agreed upon traffic thanks to trucks entering the state and the long distance buses.

- You can try the Old Madras Road option. Though it has 2-lane from Ranipet to AP-KA border, but in general its peaceful.
- But again its better to exit after before KR Puram town as buses tend to stop. The best is to take the SH35 (Varthur road) come to Marathahalli via Forum Value Mall.

I am not a night driver myself, but had to resort to the Old Madras route and also the night option, when I was stuck in Chennai during the state-border issue last year. It was quite easy to drive through and I was in KR Puram hanging bridge by 7:15 (having started from Chennai at 2:45). No over speed at all and yet could make it easily with a consistent drive.

Thats when I realized the traffic in KR Puram town is bad. Varthur road-Forum Value Mall - Marathahalli should be a good alternative if we make it before 7 to Marathahalli.

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2017 at 08:00.
Old 31st January 2017, 08:15   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- You can try the Old Madras Road option. Though it has 2-lane from Ranipet to AP-KA border, but in general its peaceful.
That's what I used to take when the GQ route was getting widened to 6 lanes and Hosur town was getting new flyovers. But once all that work was completed, it didn't make much sense:

- There is road widening work happening between Mulbagal and Palamneru.
- Palamneru-Chittoor-Ranipet is single carriageway.
- Traffic can be quite high. Pilgrims from Tirupati, farm/dairy produce transportation, buses from Nellore and other AP towns, containers from ports etc.
- The KA/AP border on this route can get choked. Once I've been stuck for ~1 hour during mid-afternoon.

The Kadugodi-Whitefield-Kundalahalli-Marathahalli route is hardly an impovement. :-)
Old 31st January 2017, 09:38   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's what I used to take when the GQ route was getting widened to 6 lanes and Hosur town was getting new flyovers. But once all that work was completed, it didn't make much sense
More than agreed!! From Mahadevapura, which is 2-3 Km from Tin factory all the way up to Chennai outskirts, I could do in 4 hours on a motorcycle on wee hours. Can never imagine that kind of timing on Kolar route even on a day of bandh.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:01   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
More than agreed!! From Mahadevapura, which is 2-3 Km from Tin factory all the way up to Chennai outskirts, I could do in 4 hours on a motorcycle on wee hours. Can never imagine that kind of timing on Kolar route even on a day of bandh.
I was about to type the same. I was using NH4 for several years when 4L and 6L conversion was happening in Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore route. But now, there is no significant benefit in taking NH4 because of excellent 6L roads till Ranipet. Now, the overall travel time is much less in Hosur/Krishnagiri/Vellore route compared to Mulbagal/Chittoor/Ranipet route. Also FASTag works and saves significant time which is not the case in NH4 yet. Plus umpteen food/break options.

So for all practical purposes, even though i am in eastern part of city and about 2 kms before KR Puram, i still take Hosur route which makes more sense and less stress free drive.

-Ravi
Old 31st January 2017, 13:32   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I should have started a bit earlier - say between 11 and 12 - and cleared Krishnagiri and Attibele by 4:30 latest.
Actually even earlier I had done in the reverse direction. Started at 2115 from Yeshwantpur. 2330 Shoolagiri. Started at midnight, reached around 0245-0300am T. Nagar Madras. This was inspite of some office bus around Sriperumbudur. This sort of time actually gave enough time for another nap at the destination.

I was maintaining 85-105 kmph all through.
Old 31st January 2017, 23:18   #2588
Distinguished - BHPian

The stretch between Chennai and Walajapet toll doesn't qualify as a National Highway.It is a National Shame.

My GV rode like a turbulent aircraft till there and the 40 odd kms from there to my destination was butter smooth.I generally do 80kmph which may not be macho speed by today's standards but my USP is keeping that speed as steady as possible on the highway and thus ending up at an average of 60kmph for the total distance.
Old 8th February 2017, 20:40   #2589
BHPian

Guys, we have plans for a trip to Kanchipuram (ofcourse for Saree shopping) on the last weekend of this month (happens to be a Shiva rathri weekend) and I expect the shops to be bit crowded .

As such we are planning to do the shopping on Saturday with an early start from Bangalore complete the shopping and return back same day. Does this make sense - except for the fact that the shopping could take hours for the ladies
If so what route could be the best? I stay somewhere close to KR Puram my idea was to go via Hosur and return via Old Madras rd. Would that be wise?
Also are the roads via Chittoor & Kolar good enough and do we have much eateries on this route?
Old 8th February 2017, 21:17   #2590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
happens to be a Shiva rathri weekend) and I expect the shops to be bit crowded .
Cant comment on the crowds. But an early start to be in Kanchi by 9 should be reasonable.

Quote:
As such we are planning to do the shopping on Saturday with an early start from Bangalore complete the shopping and return back same day. Does this make sense?
Can be hectic, especially if the shopping goes on late then you dont want to drive back. Surely going via e-city/Silk Board on a Sat not an easy feat!

I would suggest take a night break in Kanchi and come during Sunday day time. Should be far more reasonable.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 06:38   #2591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, we have plans for a trip to Kanchipuram (ofcourse for Saree shopping) on the last weekend of this month (happens to be a Shiva rathri weekend) and I expect the shops to be bit crowded .

As such we are planning to do the shopping on Saturday with an early start from Bangalore complete the shopping and return back same day. Does this make sense - except for the fact that the shopping could take hours for the ladies
If so what route could be the best? I stay somewhere close to KR Puram my idea was to go via Hosur and return via Old Madras rd. Would that be wise?
Also are the roads via Chittoor & Kolar good enough and do we have much eateries on this route?
Kanchi is rougly about 275 kms from Bangalore. Even though you stay in K R Puram I would suggest you to leave early say by 4 30 AM and take the Hosur route so that between 9 - 9 30 AM you would reach Kanchi. This gives the ladies ample time to shop.
For the return trip, you should plan to leave Kanchi by 7 PM and again stick to the Hosur route as lorry traffic will be considerably high on the Old Madras Road
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:30   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Kanchi is rougly about 275 kms from Bangalore. Even though you stay in K R Puram I would suggest you to leave early say by 4 30 AM and take the Hosur route so that between 9 - 9 30 AM you would reach Kanchi. This gives the ladies ample time to shop.
For the return trip, you should plan to leave Kanchi by 7 PM and again stick to the Hosur route as lorry traffic will be considerably high on the Old Madras Road
Thanks Suresh, that's what I am planning too. Reach there atleast by 9am and wind up shopping by 4-5pm. Would that time suggest we return via OMR? Also is this route still 2 lane all the way? It's been very long since I travelled this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Can be hectic, especially if the shopping goes on late then you dont want to drive back. Surely going via e-city/Silk Board on a Sat not an easy feat!

I would suggest take a night break in Kanchi and come during Sunday day time. Should be far more reasonable.
Thanks Ampere, I would consider booking rooms in case I see the shopping's going on for ever
Well atleast I am hoping that the shopping winds up by 4-5pm so that we could head back home soon.

Last edited by unni246 : 9th February 2017 at 10:53.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:46   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ampere, I would consider booking rooms in case I see there shopping's going on for ever
Well atleast I am hoping that the shopping winds up by 4-5pm so that we could head back home soon.
Get dinner and stay the night - the kanchipuram roads are disgustingly bad and have heavy truck traffic outside kanchi, at night. Make an early start on sunday morning.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:51   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Suresh, that's what I am planning too. Reach there atleast by 9am and wind up shopping by 4-5pm. Would that time suggest we return via OMR? Also is this route still 2 lane all the way? It's been very long since I travelled this way.
I think your plan is quite fine. If you leave Kanchipuram by 5 you should be home for dinner (say, by 9-9.30 pm). Alternately, you could stretch it a bit, have dinner at Kanchipuram itself and plan to reach Bangalore by midnight. Both are quite feasible options.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:03   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
I think your plan is quite fine. If you leave Kanchipuram by 5 you should be home for dinner (say, by 9-9.30 pm). Alternately, you could stretch it a bit, have dinner at Kanchipuram itself and plan to reach Bangalore by midnight. Both are quite feasible options.
Thanks binand and what roads would you suggest to and fro? I am worried about the toll booths in evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks