Team-BHP - Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/26059-trivandrum-bangalore-route-queries-49.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krishnakumar (Post 5614194)
I usually cruise between 90-100kph and find this to be optimally fast but safe enough for the road. 80kph would be a big disappointment. Can someone throw some light on these speed cams?

Apps like Radarbot or Waze will notify users if there's a speed camera ahead. All you got to do is slow down when it notifies you and then you can carry on at your comfortable pace.

Can't help it if there's a mobile interceptor waiting for you.

If you see a camera which is not marked on the app you are using, mark it so that it'll make your return trip easier.

Quote:

, I recall multiple speed cameras on the road and was said to be set at 80kph speed limit. Are these still functional?....I usually cruise between 90-100kph and find this to be optimally fast but safe enough for the road. 80kph would be a big disappointment. Can someone throw some light on these speed cams?

Guess for the time being they just show you your current speed when you pass through them and they have not started issuing fines.

It is funny that Kerala roads have 80+ km/h speed limits while the open highways of South Tamilnadu are constrained by 80km/h limits. The roads can comfortably have 100-110km/h safely. What else to expect from the place where cops love putting barricades on the highway to slow down traffic. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 5614199)
Apps like Radarbot or Waze will notify users if there's a speed camera ahead.

I have Radarbot (Free version) installed but it doesn’t seem to work for me. I connect my phone using wired Apple Carplay but the app has never showed any alert on the Carplay interface. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for going off thread, but I’m unable to find any good website that is guiding me on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DicKy (Post 5614211)
Guess for the time being they just show you your current speed when you pass through them and they have not started issuing fines.

That's a relief! I agree, 80kph speed limit for that road doesn’t make sense. Except for the random chicanes, the road has excellent surface and visibility.

Quote:

Hi everyone,

I'll be driving to Trivandrum after a gap of 1 year and seems like the Nagercoil Bypass is finally open. With this we can effectively avoid the Aralvaimozhi road right?

Yes, that's right.

Quote:

Although the Nagercoil town to Kaliakkavilai stretch is still going to be painful - how are the road conditions now?
Its not bad, you can maintain decent speeds.:thumbs up

Quote:

Also, after Madurai (especially Tirunelveli-Nagercoil), I recall multiple speed cameras on the road and was said to be set at 80kph speed limit. Are these still functional?

I usually cruise between 90-100kph and find this to be optimally fast but safe enough for the road. 80kph would be a big disappointment. Can someone throw some light on these speed cams?
Some doesn't display the speed now. If you are worried, you can set the cruise control at 85Kmph.

I have gone above the 80Kmph limit multiple times but no challans so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisTvpm (Post 5598380)
Did a to&fro trip BLR -- Tvpm last week.

The BLR - Tvpm stretch took 13hrs incl. 2hrs of pitstops for food/refreshments(5:15am - 6:15pm).

* Nearly 5km or so after Kaliyakavilai(TN) till Tvpm city(KL) - new bypass road(part of Mumbai - Kanyakumari highway) is excellent. Did this stretch in just 25min. as against approx 2 hrs previously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 5608762)
Yes, this stretch cuts down the travel time easily by 30 minutes.

When did this new bypass open? Last week, Google took me via the Neyyatinkara - Katakada route, probably because I was driving towards Vilapil. Parasala to Vilapil took around an hour.

I came to TVM on the 20th, Sunday and if not for a political rally in Madurai, I would have easily reached TVM in 12 hours with close to 2hr breaks. Breezed through EC, Atibelle, and Hosur tolls with a 6 AM start.

For the return journey, I am thinking of a late start and drive via Kumili-Theni-Dindigul. It is a longer route and Google estimates 15 hrs instead of the 13 via Nagercoil. The idea is to enter Bangalore late to avoid traffic. But still undecided.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 5614410)
Some doesn't display the speed now. If you are worried, you can set the cruise control at 85Kmph.

I have gone above the 80Kmph limit multiple times but no challans so far.

I hope this is true, else I am looking at a big amount in fines. Since I had lost over an hour in Madurai, I was making time and maintained triple-digit speeds all the way till the Nagercoil turn off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguar (Post 5614470)
Last week, Google took me via the Neyyatinkara - Katakada route, probably because I was driving towards Vilapil. Parasala to Vilapil took around an hour.

You should keep Trivandrum airport as destination to take this route.

Quote:

I hope this is true, else I am looking at a big amount in fines. Since I had lost over an hour in Madurai, I was making time and maintained triple-digit speeds all the way till the Nagercoil turn off.
Looks like they have not started raising any challans so far.

Hi all,

I have a Trivandrum trip planned in the upcoming Dusshera long weekend. Has anybody travelled recently from Bangalore to Trivandrum Recently? Any inputs on the road conditions route considering Attingal as the destination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatrahumvee (Post 5645104)
Hi all,

I have a Trivandrum trip planned in the upcoming Dusshera long weekend. Has anybody travelled recently from Bangalore to Trivandrum Recently? Any inputs on the road conditions route considering Attingal as the destination.

One of my friend took this route two days back. As per him, the 3-4Kms after taking left at Kaliakavilai is bad (just before the new 4L on the KL side). Apart from this, nothing much to be worried about.

I am planning to ride from Dindigul-TVM in a week. Google Maps is showing the Madurai-Rajapalayam-Tenkashi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Palode route. I haven't taken this route in at least 15 years, and never on a motorcycle. Does anyone know the condition of this route with all the rain now? How is the traffic on this route?

How safe is this route for motorcycles? I am mainly worried about wild animals (mostly elephants). What is the possibility of an elephant encounter on this route? Which parts could be the most risky?

Quote:

Hi all,

The NH44 is of fair condition, though at some places there are diversions and one way traffic due to flyover constructions. Be careful at night as there isn't any lights or warnings, except for some old reflective stickers on the drums. The NH47B new concrete highway connecting Kavalkinaru and Nagercoil is of good condition, exept for the usual concrete road problems. From Nagercoil to Kaliyakkavila the road conditions are average or bad. Not as worse as before, but with the recent rains potholes have surfaced especially near bridges and flyovers entry/exit. Exceptionally deep potholes are there in the section between Villukuri and Marthandam, especially the curves where they have put up concrete dividers. After a short detour from Kaliyakkavila through rural roads to the NH66, it is straight good roads till Kazhakootam. From Kazhakootam up north, widening work is going on so road conditions are less than ideal. The narrow road is made even more narrow with the construction barricades. Surface is okay, but progress will be glacial.

Quote:

Hi all,

I travelled in Sep'23 in this route. The route all the way to Kavalkinar is straightforward - just stick to the uber smooth highways all along until the Nagercoil Bypass.

Nagercoil to Kaliyakkavilai is going to be slow - 2 lane road with heavy traffic. So you need to have your wits about you and carry a bucket-load of patience. At Kaliyakkavilai, turn left into the Kaliyakkavilai-Kolamcode-Kovalam road and exit right into the NH66. Do note that the Kaliyakkavilai-Kovalam road is a narrow stretch and will be full of heavy vehicles due to the ongoing road construction of NH66 - but this is a very short stretch.

Once you exit right into the NH66, the roads are very good all the way to Kazhakootam for sure. Kazhakootam to Attingal should be slow moving but manageable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsoon_tourer (Post 5646544)
How safe is this route for motorcycles? I am mainly worried about wild animals (mostly elephants). What is the possibility of an elephant encounter on this route? Which parts could be the most risky?

Changes of encountering wildlife is zero on this route.

I haven't taken this route in a long while (~2 years) but it's actually a better road for motorcycle as the route is very scenic through villages, farms, forest. Once you cross into Kerala, the road twists and bends making for an engaging ride. Road conditions were good in the TN section but you'll have to pass through some heavy traffic around big market areas such as Rajapalayam and Tenkasi. Hence, a motorcycle is better for this route.

On the KL side, roads were extremely good but near Nedumangad and post that, you'll be in slow moving traffic.

Road conditions could have changed in the last 2 years though.

After nearly 5 months , i travelled nearly 800kms on my XUV 700 from Bangalore to Trivandrum.

I started from Bangalore on 21st Oct at 3:30AM. Being a Saturday on the long weekend, i expected a lot of traffic till Salem and in the toll booths. But to my surprise all tolls from Ecity till Trivandrum had none to may be just one vehicle in front of me.

We stopped at Hotel Annai which was just on the highway in Karur for breakfast around 7AM. Food at this place is just eatable and not anywhere near the good idli and vada you usually get in the Hotels on TN highways.

Then we drove for around another 4 hours and reached the entrance of Nagercoil bypass at around 11:30AM. Nagercoil bypass as well had very minimal traffic. After this bypass the roads were packed with traffic all the way till kaliakavalai and the roads were also not in that great condition.NH66 had very minimal traffic till kovalam and then again there was lot of traffic till attingal.It took us around 3 hours to cross this entire stretch and we reached attingal around 2:30PM.

Some pictures from the trip.
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_8994.jpeg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_8993.jpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsoon_tourer (Post 5646544)
I am planning to ride from Dindigul-TVM in a week. Google Maps is showing the Madurai-Rajapalayam-Tenkashi-Thenmala-Kulathupuzha-Palode route. ... Which parts could be the most risky?

Four track expansion works gong on between Thirumangalam (20kms after Madurai) & 10kms before Srivilliputhur (they are laying greenfield road after this point to Rajapalayam). So there are diversions & possible sand on roads in this stretch (approx 55kms). If you want to avoid this, you can continue on four track from Madurai till Virudhunagar & then turn to Sivakasi - Srivilliputhur - Rajapalayam. Also, you don't have to go into Tenkasi, can reach Shencottah through a major rountana 5-7 kms before Tenkasi.

As already mentioned here, chances of encountering wildlife is zero, but very scenic & enjoyable for a relaxed ride. Travelled in two-wheeler & car in this road since 1990. The road remains almost the same in Kerala side. Always expect potholes on some stretches from Aryankavu - Nedumangad route that can appear from recent rains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatrahumvee (Post 5648171)

I started from Bangalore on 21st Oct at 3:30AM. Being a Saturday on the long weekend, i expected a lot of traffic till Salem and in the toll booths. But to my surprise all tolls from Ecity till Trivandrum had none to may be just one vehicle in front of me

Yes, for some reason most of the people traveled on Sunday. I was also surprised as i was expecting free roads but got some traffic at Attibele toll but thankfully other booths were free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatrahumvee (Post 5648171)
breakfast around 7AM...

Then we drove for around another 4 hours and reached the entrance of Nagercoil bypass at around 11:30AM.

Thats really quick progress for that distance.

Barring the ongoing road / flyover work at a couple of places.
a) The road surface has deteriorated at places between Hosur and Krishnagiri.
b) Between Nagercoil bypass exit - Karode bypass entry (including the Kaliyikavilai exit road), the roads are very bad with large potholes, together with blinding rains and bumper-bumper two lane traffic it was a hellish 28 - 30 kms :Frustrati

Latest Toll rates

Toll Plaza Amount
Attibele 35
Kgiri 85
Thopur 120
Omalur 95
Rasampalayam 60
Velanchettiyur 110
Kozhinjiipatti 75
Kappalur 100
Etturvattam 100
Salaipudur 120
Nanguneri 110
Thirupathisaram 40
Thiruvallam 150
Total 1200

Hi, I am planning to travel via my Honda Civic from Trivandrum to Bengaluru. It will be my wife, our dog and yours truly behind the wheel. What route is recommended? Also should we plan for a stay in Madhurai (The Gateway hotel there is pet friendly). Should we go via Nagercoil or via Rajapalayam route? I’m looking for smooth roads even if the distance is more.