Team-BHP - Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/26059-trivandrum-bangalore-route-queries-50.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kochikaran (Post 5649325)
Hi, I am planning to travel via my Honda Civic from Trivandrum to Bengaluru. It will be my wife, our dog and yours truly behind the wheel. What route is recommended? Also should we plan for a stay in Madhurai (The Gateway hotel there is pet friendly). Should we go via Nagercoil or via Rajapalayam route? I’m looking for smooth roads even if the distance is more.

Definitely Nagercoil route.

Not sure if you can travel (or have travelled) 12 hours in a single day with the dog. If you have done that before, no need for a stay. Road quality is excellent except for a ~30km stretch after Nagercoil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kochikaran (Post 5649325)
1.. What route is recommended? Also should we plan for a stay in Madhurai (The Gateway hotel there is pet friendly). Should we go via Nagercoil or via Rajapalayam route? I’m looking for smooth roads even if the distance is more.

1. Via Nagercoil for comfort. Take the bypass (new NH 66) if staying near to it or the old NH (will need to start early, say by 6am if taking the old NH). The ‘bypass’ takes us till Cheruvarakonam along the Kaliyikkavila- Poovar road, from there, turn left and reach the old NH 4km away in Kaliyikkavila town. I guess there may be trucks in this stretch. Before Nagercoil town there is a flyover towards Tirunelveli road at Parvatipuram and at Thirupathisaram, take the new 6 lane road instead of the old road via Aralvaimozhi to Kavalkinar. From there it is all 6 lane till BLR via Salem.
2. The journey will be around 11-13 hours. If you or family (especially if the pet wont tolerate long drives) need a break, then only halting becomes necessary. Otherwise can be managed with short loo and snack/ lunch breaks alone. Halting does have its advantages if you wish to have the drive confined to relatively thinner traffic hours between Salem - BLR.
3. Even if longer, except for the stretch between Kaliyikkavila and Thirupathisaram it is all 4 or 6 laned. And much easier on legs than going via 2 lanes and towns till Thirumangalam via Rajapalayam.

4. Depending on your destination and day of journey, time the start. It may take around 10 hours to reach Hosur and from there it will be heavy evening traffic. If you need to go interiorly at Bangalore, reaching Hosur after 6 pm will ensure spending >3 hours in road easily. If heavy and sustained rains are expected, please be careful driving along Thoppur - Hosur section after dusk when the traffic is heavy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viggienomad (Post 5648365)
Four track expansion works gong on between Thirumangalam (20kms after Madurai) & 10kms before Srivilliputhur (they are laying greenfield road after this point to Rajapalayam). So there are diversions & possible sand on roads in this stretch (approx 55kms). If you want to avoid this, you can continue on four track from Madurai till Virudhunagar & then turn to Sivakasi - Srivilliputhur - Rajapalayam. Also, you don't have to go into Tenkasi, can reach Shencottah through a major rountana 5-7 kms before Tenkasi.

As already mentioned here, chances of encountering wildlife is zero, but very scenic & enjoyable for a relaxed ride. Travelled in two-wheeler & car in this road since 1990. The road remains almost the same in Kerala side. Always expect potholes on some stretches from Aryankavu - Nedumangad route that can appear from recent rains.

I took this route (Tenkashi-Thenmala-Thiruvananthapuram) on a motorcycle at the end of October. As said, the new road work causes a lot of diversion and won't possibly be finished anytime soon. Still, I would prefer this route when riding motorcycles and the Nagercoil route for four-wheelers. This route is not ideal for four-wheelers due to the condition of the roads, the number of villages and residential zones you must cross, and the speed breakers and barricades. Also, the traffic near Nedumangadu is annoying but nowhere near as bad as Nagercoil-Thiruvananthapuram. This is the better route to choose when riding on motorcycles, especially if you are in no rush.

Planning to drive from TVM to BLR during the week of 16th. Any recommendations on food places for breakfast & lunch? I have driven this route quite a few times and generally take breaks around Tirunelveli & Krishnagiri. If there are alternate recommendations, please let me know. Plan is to start around 5 AM and will most probably be a solo trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharathrk (Post 5673446)
Planning to drive from TVM to BLR during the week of 16th. Any recommendations on food places for breakfast & lunch? I have driven this route quite a few times and generally take breaks around Tirunelveli & Krishnagiri. If there are alternate recommendations, please let me know. Plan is to start around 5 AM and will most probably be a solo trip.

If you are planning to stop near Tirnuleveli then you can try Aryaas Grand, this is on the bypass and you will have to take the service lane to reach this place, https://maps.app.goo.gl/kRQavXkrYEBYr6WN9

Around Krishnagiri you have many options. One of them is Sree Saravana Bhavan, https://maps.app.goo.gl/KhLL18mAKiS2KeUb6

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is traveling to Bangalore this weekend via Trivandrum - Nagercoil - Thirunelveli - Madurai - Salem route. Can any one, who tried this route recently, comment on the road condition and if any portions of this stretch are flooded or not. Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by lal79 (Post 5683265)
I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is traveling to Bangalore this weekend via Trivandrum - Nagercoil - Thirunelveli - Madurai - Salem route. Can any one, who tried this route recently, comment on the road condition and if any portions of this stretch are flooded or not. Thanks in advance

Have the same query. Planning to return back to TVM from BLR on Friday. Apprehensive about taking the usual route. My friend did mention that Thoothukudi is impacted with power outage for the last two days. Not exactly sure about the flood & water levels. Google maps does indicate problems in the vicinity of the highway.

Don't want to attempt the Palakkad route since that always leaves me frustrated. Maybe Madurai-Rajapalayam-Thenmala route. Are there any better alternatives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharathrk (Post 5683438)
Maybe Madurai-Rajapalayam-Thenmala route. Are there any better alternatives?

Planning a drive to Kollam this Saturday. Any recent updates on the road conditions from Madurai, Rajapalayam, Thenmala or Kovilpatti, Sankarankovil, Thenmala after the recent rains and floods in Tamilnadu would be helpful

Quote:

Originally Posted by lal79 (Post 5683265)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharathrk (Post 5683438)
Have the same query. Planning to return back to TVM from BLR on Friday. Apprehensive about taking the usual route. My friend did mention that Thoothukudi is impacted with power outage for the last two days. Not exactly sure about the flood & water levels. Google maps does indicate problems in the vicinity of the highway.

Bangalore - Salem - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Nagercoil/Kanyakumari route is normal. I took this route, yesterday.

Is there any work going on between Nagercoil and thirunelveli

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmn2007 (Post 5708985)

I remember one diversion which is closer to Tirunelveli, its due to construction work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmn2007 (Post 5708985)

There is a bridge construction at the entry point of Nagercoil. So, we will have to take a right before this entry point which connects putheri road and then you can enter Nagercoil. Google suggests few other options as well based on your destination.

I have circled the diversion route route that I took.