Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 20:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Thanks a lot for the help sbraj and gkris for all the help.

While coming back i'm planning to get back to BLR via Ernakulam, so which will be the ideal route? i would also like to tell you that i don't know Tamil/Malyali so would like a safe route with good roads even if its longer.
same was case with me , Going to Ernakulam will take you further on NH47 so allocate more time then normal it is misnomer to call it national highway as it is more like driving in a City. In Kerala it is hard to find where one town / village ends and next starts. However once you cross over in to TN the roads become surprisingly good.
Old 9th June 2010, 09:38   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the help sbraj and gkris for all the help.

While coming back i'm planning to get back to BLR via Ernakulam, so which will be the ideal route? i would also like to tell you that i don't know Tamil/Malyali so would like a safe route with good roads even if its longer.
See the later posts of this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...chi-route.html
Old 9th June 2010, 11:37   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adding to what Amit said, have lots of patience and spare time to negotiate NH47. Since you don't know Malayalam, it is best to stick to NH47 rather than try alternate routes. Route on NH47 would be : TVM-Kollam-Alappuzha-EKM-Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Salem-BLR. Remember, Kollam and Alappuzha do not have city bypasses.

TVM-EKM stretch can take 5+ hours during day time. Palakkad-BLR can take near 6 hours. Plan your journey timings accordingly.

Since you are entering Kerala via Nagercoil, you would have got a taste of how driving on NH47 is going to be like. I am convinced that the RTOs there would start giving driving licenses to chimpanzees soon. Chimpanzees would drive better than the current morons on that stretch.

Last edited by sbraj : 9th June 2010 at 11:39.
Old 10th June 2010, 00:15   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

thanks sbraj, amit.

The tentative plan as of now is:

Day 1 : BLR - TVM (via salem-nagercoil)
Day 2 : Tvm
Day 3 : Tvm - Allepey
Day 4 : Allepey - Munnar (NH47-NH49)
Day 5 : Munnar - BLR (NH49-NH7) Which is the best route to get on NH7 from Munnar?

Is this a good plan? Th purpose of this trip is sightseeing and a little bit of photography. So, I chose the stop overs at Allepey and Munnar. I would like to know if going to Kollam on day 2 itself is a better option as it would give me more time in Allepey. Moerover, theres really not much to do in TVM. What are options for accomodation in Kollam?
Can anyone provide me with approx. timings between Tvm-Allepey, Allepey-Munnar, Munnar-BLR (via Dindigul-Salem)? I'll driving a Wagon r, so reaching speeds beyond 120 is not an option. I'll be maintaining 80-100 most of the time, if the roads are good.
I am open to any modifications/new routes/ideas etc.

Thanks
Old 10th June 2010, 00:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
thanks sbraj, amit.
Can anyone provide me with approx. timings between Tvm-Allepey, Allepey-Munnar, Munnar-BLR (via Dindigul-Salem)? I'll driving a Wagon r, so reaching speeds beyond 120 is not an option. I'll be maintaining 80-100 most of the time, if the roads are good.
I am open to any modifications/new routes/ideas etc.

Thanks
Recently did Theni - BLR (Esteem) in 8 hrs including 1 hr break for snacks and dinner.Started from Theni at 2.30 PM and reach Bangalore by 10.30. Never crossed 100 kmph during the whole trip. Theni ->Dindigul->Karur-Salem->Krishnagiri-Bangalore. Theni Dindugal (76 kms) took close to 2 Hrs as its a single lane and there was good amount of traffic.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if going to Kollam on day 2 itself is a better option as it would give me more time in Allepey.
Kollam would be similar to Alappuzha. Ashtamudi lake is the main attaction. Then the beach, Thankassery, Neendakara fishing harbour etc. You could take a boat ride from Kollam town all the way upto Kallada.

Quote:
What are options for accomodation in Kollam?
Cambay resorts near Vellimon is an option. I have been there for a day picnic. It is facing the Ashtamudi lake and an ideal place for relaxing. They have house boats also.
Earlier, in the other thread here, another resort is mentioned. PM-ing cool_dube would help.

Quote:
Moerover, theres really not much to do in TVM.
Hmmm. TVM has two beaches - Shankhumugham and Veli. Kovalam is nearby. Then there is Neyyar dam, Ponmudi etc on the eastern side. Kanyakumari is 3 hour drive away. Depending on the type of vacation you intend to have, there are options.

If you are not keen on TVM, then you could go directly to Kollam from Madurai by NH208. This way, you will get more time either in Kollam or Alappuzha.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:34   #67
BHPian

Enroute to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum, one can visit Padmanabhapuram Palace (around 2 KM off of the town called Thuckalay), Thripparappu Waterfalls, Udayagiri Cottah are the other things that come to my mind.
Old 10th June 2010, 19:57   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Enroute to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum, one can visit Padmanabhapuram Palace (around 2 KM off of the town called Thuckalay), Thripparappu Waterfalls, Udayagiri Cottah are the other things that come to my mind.
Adding to that, see this thread.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Fastest Rout to Trivandrum

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Trivandrum on 30th October. I plan to take NH7
all the way to Nagercoil and then NH47 to Trivandrum. Is this the fastest one? I plan to start by around 5:00 AM on 30th.

Thanks in advance,
Old 18th October 2010, 15:05   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive to Trivandrum on 30th October. I plan to take NH7
all the way to Nagercoil and then NH47 to Trivandrum. Is this the fastest one? I plan to start by around 5:00 AM on 30th.

Thanks in advance,
I think that is the best possible route you can take. With NH47 is "ruins" after monsoons through the Kerala heartland, its good to stick to NH7 as much as possible.
Old 18th October 2010, 19:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to drive to Trivandrum on 30th October. I plan to take NH7 all the way to Nagercoil and then NH47 to Trivandrum. Is this the fastest one? I plan to start by around 5:00 AM on 30th.
I did BLR-TVM on Oct 9. Start of 2:15am, was in TVM by 2pm (with breaks of ~1.5 hours).

Roads are extremely good till Nagercoil. Apart from the toll booths, there are total 8 (well marked) humps near Thoppur. Otherwise, no surprises at all.

Within Nagercoil town, there are bad stretches. Roads near Vadasseri bus stand are bad.

Stretch between Nagercoil and Kerala border is ok, top layer of tarmac is gone in some places. Kerala side of NH47 is fine.

My suggestion is to start early if possible. This way you will beat the Salem traffic and will be in Madurai by the time world wakes up.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sbraj & ampere.

Since I am travelling with my 9 month old daugther, I will not be able to start before 5:00 AM. I have driven in this route till Dindigul in April 2009 on my way to Kodaikanal. My only worry is the stretch between Nagercoil and Trivandrum. Good to know that it is not too bad. My final destination is Kesavadasapuram. Are there any suggestions on route to be taken within the city.

Last edited by pramodpk : 19th October 2010 at 11:24.
Old 19th October 2010, 12:57   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks sbraj & ampere.

Since I am travelling with my 9 month old daugther, I will not be able to start before 5:00 AM. I have driven in this route till Dindigul in April 2009 on my way to Kodaikanal. My only worry is the stretch between Nagercoil and Trivandrum. Good to know that it is not too bad. My final destination is Kesavadasapuram. Are there any suggestions on route to be taken within the city.
I have gone till Nagercoil on NH7 but then I headed to KK and not TVM.
Hence I may not be able to help.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:36   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I am travelling with my 9 month old daugther, I will not be able to start before 5:00 AM.
I had driven on this route when my son was two years old. We started at around 3am with him sleeping peacefully. In fact he likes the fact that he wakes up to find that we are on vacation.

With a 9 month old, your stoppages might be more. With a 5am start, you will be near Madurai BP by 11am, Tirunelveli by 2pm and Nagercoil by 3pm. You might end up driving till 6pm or so considering peak hour traffic on NH47.

Don't even think of taking the Tenkasi-Kulathupuzha-TVM route. Kids might find it uncomfortable due to the ghat sections, twists and turns.

Quote:
My only worry is the stretch between Nagercoil and Trivandrum. Good to know that it is not too bad.
It is not bad. There are some stretches were the top layer has gone off, but the below layers are still intact. Thus not big reason to worry. There was one place where the road had caved in. This section has been barricaded off.

Remember, this is a two lane highway without dividers. When a big vehicle (lorry or bus) occupies it, a string of vehicles is formed behind it thereby slowing down. Way to gain time is by overtaking, but be careful of the oncoming traffic.

Another nuisance in this stretch is the road mannerisms of the two wheelers. I felt that if the local RTOs had given licenses to chimpanzees, they would have driven better.

Quote:
My final destination is Kesavadasapuram. Are there any suggestions on route to be taken within the city.
I think easier option is Karamana-Thycad-Vazhuthacad-Vellayambalam-Pattam-Kesavadasapuram. Other option Karamana-Thampanoor-Pattam-Kesavadasapuram would cut through heart of the city.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks sbraj.

I have travelled in this route by bus and I have seen the condition of the road and traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks