Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2013, 09:08   #181
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
1) While going from Bangalore, after crossing Krishnagiri-Chennai Road junction(1-2Kms ahead), on the left side there is a new hotel. IIRC it is Saravana Bhavan.
Our Salem breakfast jinx continues, due to a later start (5:40am) we stopped for breakfast at the new Sree Saravana Bhavan. This is on the Kaveripattinam bypass right opposite the water body/lake that also has boating.
This was 98 Km on our trip meter.
This place is new, neat and food decent (south indian breakfast).
(The branding, logo, etc is exactly like the one at the Saravana Bhavan near the Sankari toll so I think it's the same group).
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-ssb.jpg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-ssbinside.jpg

Quote:
2) another 15-20kms from the above spot, you will find Aryas - again on the left side.
This was at 114 Km (16 Km from the Sree Saravana Bhavan) and was crowded as well going by number of cars parked outside, this place is slightly away from the highway with good frontage.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 09:33   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Our Salem breakfast jinx continues, due to a later start (5:40am) we stopped for breakfast at the new Sree Saravana Bhavan. This is on the Kaveripattinam bypass right opposite the water body/lake that also has boating.
This was 98 Km on our trip meter.
This place is new, neat and food decent (south indian breakfast).
Thanks for the feedback, NPV. Good to see decent options apart from the crowded A2B in this stretch.
Old 15th April 2013, 18:58   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Definitely we need more places than A2B. In fact this one would be just perfect. Why? Because you wont find the Chennai traffic at this place !

Now all that matters is how good they maintain the place on a long term basis.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:01   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Definitely we need more places than A2B. In fact this one would be just perfect. Why? Because you wont find the Chennai traffic at this place !

Now all that matters is how good they maintain the place on a long term basis.
That's Krishnagiri lake and this restaurant is newly opened one. Haven't tried there. But can see decent amount of cars parked whenever I cross this place.
Old 16th May 2013, 12:16   #185
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Planning for a trip to Trivendrum from Bangalore. The following is my plan any suggestions on roads and hotels please. I have not reserverd rooms anywhere considering its off season.

Day 1 (18 May) - Bangalore to Madurai - Stay at Madurai (expect to start at 5 AM and finish Madurai Temple visit same day)
Day 2 (19 May) - Madurai to Rameshwaram - Stay at TTDC hotel ( start early Morning and finish Rameshwaram sight seeing same day)
Day 3 (20 May) - Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari - Stay at TTDC Hotel ( Start early morning and view sunset and stay overnight and leave after sunrise)
Day 4 (21 May) - Kanyakumari to Trivendrum - STay at Kovalam ( enquired Sagara Beach resort and room are available Any suggestion of other resorts are welcome)
Day 5 (22 May) - Local sight seeing at Trivendrum - Plan is to stay at kovalam start early and complete sightseeing in Trivendrum and return to kovalam for night stay ( Any suggestion is welcome)
Day 6 (23 May) - Trivendrum to Bangalore Via Rajapalyam Route

Regards
Vinay
Old 16th May 2013, 13:57   #186
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Day 1 (18 May)...
My comments here:
Day 1 (18 May) - Bangalore to Madurai - Stay at Madurai (expect to start at 5 AM and finish Madurai Temple visit same day)

No issues, you should reach Madurai around lunch time (12-1 pm) depending on the number and duration of breaks you take. You can stop for breakfast at one of the new hotels in Krishnagiri Sree Saravana Bhavan or Aaryaas (I haven't tried this). Both are on the highway itself on your left hand side after the Chennai road NH46 junction.
At Madurai, Metropole is a good hotel and slightly away from main business areas of the city, consider this - good thing is it is close to Rameshwaram highway as well and no need to negotiate city trafiic. You can take an auto/cab to temple. Temple opens at 4:30pm.
Other hotel options right in the busy business areas are New College House or Hotel Supreme.

Day 2 (19 May) - Madurai to Rameshwaram - Stay at TTDC hotel ( start early Morning and finish Rameshwaram sight seeing same day)

TTDC has good properties with larger rooms but may not be so well maintained, do consider options like Hotel Queen Palace which is right on the NH49 highway on left side when going towards Rameshwaram temple.
If you want to splurge consider Daiwik hotel at Rameshwaram.
Don't miss going to Dhanushkodi which is about 20Km from Rameshwaram - you can rent a Jeep from the hotel itself. Do read up some of the several travelogues for more info, recent one by @Lukeskywalker is an excellent one.

Day 3 (20 May) - Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari - Stay at TTDC Hotel ( Start early morning and view sunset and stay overnight and leave after sunrise)

Not sure about this TTDC, we stayed at Hotel Sea View and it was excellent. Other option may be Vivekananda Kendra.

Day 4 (21 May) - Kanyakumari to Trivendrum - STay at Kovalam ( enquired Sagara Beach resort and room are available Any suggestion of other resorts are welcome)

On the way to Trivandrum try to visit the Suchindram Temple at Nagerkoil and the Padmanabhapuram Palace at Thuckalay (read up some travelogues).

I'm not very familiar with Trivandrum so can't offer much help for the remaining days of the trip.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NPV : 16th May 2013 at 14:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 18:49   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Kovalam is usually crowded.

There are plenty of resorts between Vizhinjam and Kovalam. I would recommend Travancore Heritage on a cliff overlooking Arabian Sea, with a near empty Chovvara beach right outside. Stayed there last year.

Also note that Kerala would be very hot and humid during this time of the year.

Last edited by rknair : 16th May 2013 at 18:54.
Old 18th May 2013, 13:53   #188
BHPian

Quote:
My comments here:

No issues, you should reach Madurai around lunch time (12-1 pm) depending on the number and duration of breaks you take. You can stop for breakfast at one of the new hotels in Krishnagiri Sree Saravana Bhavan or Aaryaas (I haven't tried this). Both are on the highway itself on your left hand side after the Chennai road NH46 junction.
At Madurai, Metropole is a good hotel and slightly away from main business areas of the city, consider this - good thing is it is close to Rameshwaram highway as well and no need to negotiate city trafiic. You can take an auto/cab to temple. Temple opens at 4:30pm.
Other hotel options right in the busy business areas are New College House or Hotel Supreme.

TTDC has good properties with larger rooms but may not be so well maintained, do consider options like Hotel Queen Palace which is right on the NH49 highway on left side when going towards Rameshwaram temple.
If you want to splurge consider Daiwik hotel at Rameshwaram.
Don't miss going to Dhanushkodi which is about 20Km from Rameshwaram - you can rent a Jeep from the hotel itself. Do read up some of the several travelogues for more info, recent one by @Lukeskywalker is an excellent one.

Not sure about this TTDC, we stayed at Hotel Sea View and it was excellent. Other option may be Vivekananda Kendra.

On the way to Trivandrum try to visit the Suchindram Temple at Nagerkoil and the Padmanabhapuram Palace at Thuckalay (read up some travelogues).

I'm not very familiar with Trivandrum so can't offer much help for the remaining days of the trip.
Hope this helps.
Hotel Metropole indeed Good ....Thanks for the Suggestion
vinukm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 21:27   #189
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Metropole indeed Good ....Thanks for the Suggestion
You're welcome! I suggested this based on the experience during our Madurai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram trip. We stayed at Hotel Sea View in Kanyakumari and Queen Palace at Rameshwaram which were also good and hence I have suggested them for your trip as well
Old 18th May 2013, 22:51   #190
BHPian

vinu in trivandrum there is nothing special to see apart from the famous padmanabhaswamy temple,but you should definitely visit padmanabhapuram palace which is 50 km before tvm on the kanyakumari trivandrum highway.a must visit for sure.since you are staying at kovalam then there is nothing left to see in tvm.The route you have decided to return from tvm via rajapalayam is good and scenic .You will pass by courtallam which is near shencottah but i doubt if there is any water in the falls at this time of the year,pls check as it is a small diversion from the main road.Also visit suchindram temple as npv rightly said which is just 12 kms down from the kanyakuamri trivandrum road,You can see the temple tower from very far off.The big statue of hanuman there is very famous and worth visiting.
Old 10th June 2013, 21:59   #191
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An update after my trip to Kottayam by bus :
Hosur-Krishnagiri road widening work is a pain in the evening and in many places there was a narrow passage just enough for a bus to pass with trucks parked all over!

Saw a new eatery, not sure if they're open yet - Sri Lakshmi Vilas (Veg.) on left side when going from Bangalore. This was about 10 minutes after we crossed the BP petrol pump/A2B at Shoolagiri so I guess about 10 Km or less from there.

On the return leg, there was a huge traffic jam nearing Krishnagiri around 3am - caused by a tipper truck that caught fire. Luckily our bus manged to get past this bottleneck in about 20 minutes.

Last edited by NPV : 10th June 2013 at 22:00.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:39   #192
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning to drive from Trivandrum to Bangalore on 17 Jun via Tenkasi-Madurai route. Request update on condition of road on Palode-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Tirumangalam stretch. I will be driving by day only and prefer this route for scenic beauty and lesser traffic.
Old 12th June 2013, 08:03   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to drive from Trivandrum to Bangalore on 17 Jun via Tenkasi-Madurai route. Request update on condition of road on Palode-Tenkasi-Rajapalayam-Tirumangalam stretch. I will be driving by day only and prefer this route for scenic beauty and lesser traffic.
The road is not good. Check this post by @airguitar

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3145486

Looks like its better to stick to 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 22:32   #194
BHPian

Since the monsoon is active in tvm district very much i would definitely request you to take the tirunelveli madurai route .The roads from madathara to shencottah is bad.
vindrider2626 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 09:41   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post
Hi,

If time is a constraint the 4 lane highway from Kavalkinar to Bangalore is the best. If u start at 6 from Tvm you can also skip the Tvm- ngcl traffic too. I too have heard that the tenkasi route is very scenic, but never tried it as I will be usually pressed for time and have heard that the roads are not too good, but ok.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed