Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:26   #391
Team-BHP Support

re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I think this is not there anymore. Along with that IOC, I saw a CCD and Hotel Sangeetha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
EDIT:Yes, it is Hotel Sangeetha now, @arun_josie has confirmed in his post above.
Is it the Chennai Sangeetha chain or a different one? Because if its the Chennai chain, expect, food to be good.
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:29   #392
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is it the Chennai Sangeetha chain or a different one? Because if its the Chennai chain, expect, food to be good.
Chennai Sangeetha is what my friend mentioned, now that it is open we can try and confirm it on the next drive that side

Oh and the CCD also has come up now in that campus as per @arun_josie.
If I remember correctly my friend mentioned a KFC will also be coming up there (construction of a new building inside the campus was in progress then to house these two). If this is complete, I think it will attract more crowds since everyone by default seems to get into the BP campus that has A2B since it comes immediately after the toll plaza and this IOC campus is another 1-2Km away and many people don't even know about it.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd November 2015 at 10:33.
Old 24th November 2015, 16:43   #393
Senior - BHPian

very recently I had been to Kovalam, Trivandrum, Varkala etc.
The route taken was
Bangalore - Salem - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Nagercoil - Kovalam
The road condition is very good till Kanyakumari.

Day 1 we stayed at Madurai , the next 2 days in Kovalam & 4th night in Tirunelveli

KK-Nagercoil-Kovalam-Trivandrum is 2 lane highway, Except for the Nagercoil city/town roads, rest of the road is in beautiful condition.

For the return journey, took
Kovalam - Trivandrum - Varkala - Anchal- Thenmala - Palaruvi (waterfalls) - Tenkasi - Tirunelveli (Stop over - halt)

All through out it's a 2 lane highway, but some rough patches between Thenmala reservoir - Shenkottai, rest all in good condition.

The next day headed to Bangalore.
Took my Civic, never faced and issues with road conditions or some of the roads humps.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 18:20   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Chennai Sangeetha is what my friend mentioned, now that it is open we can try and confirm it on the next drive that side

Oh and the CCD also has come up now in that campus as per @arun_josie.
If I remember correctly my friend mentioned a KFC will also be coming up there (construction of a new building inside the campus was in progress then to house these two). If this is complete, I think it will attract more crowds since everyone by default seems to get into the BP campus that has A2B since it comes immediately after the toll plaza and this IOC campus is another 1-2Km away and many people don't even know about it.
As per their website, there is no branch in thoppur, http://sangeethavegrestaurants.com/india/

Yes, the big advantage of A2B is the location and the BP (COCO). Also, you can spot both the boards well in advance.

And the restroom @A2B (thoppur) is not well-maintained these days.
Old 24th November 2015, 22:12   #395
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the restroom @A2B (thoppur) is not well-maintained these days.
This is a good enough reason to avoid A2B when traveling with family, also to escape the mad rush there
The rest rooms in the IOC campus were very neat when we stopped last time. Back then it was also the last few days the Raja Bhojanam outlet was open.
Old 29th December 2015, 10:39   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

One more option for pit stop now, near Madurai immediately after the Kappalur toll and before Hari's restaurant(while going from bangalore).

It has both A/C and Non-A/C.
Attached Thumbnails
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-sec5.jpg  

arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 11:57   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One more option for pit stop now, near Madurai immediately after the Kappalur toll and before Hari's restaurant(while going from bangalore).
Looks like Saravana Bhavan is the Kamat for TN. Pretty much there on all arterial roads. (47 and 7). Have not seen their presence beyond Krishnagiri toward Chennai though. But other wise pretty covering up the whole of NH7/NH47. I think there is one close to Dindigul bypass too. But one needs to get slightly away from 4-lane.

Have been noticing this for quite some time now.

Last edited by ampere : 29th December 2015 at 11:59.
Old 29th December 2015, 12:11   #398
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is not there anymore. Along with that IOC, I saw a CCD and Hotel Sangeetha.
We stopped at this place on our return journey couple days ago and found the Sangeetha hotel was not operational, probably hasn't opened yet after Raja Bhojanam vacated. The CCD was open, but we decided to give it a miss.

**One more update - The Aaryaas on the Perundurai bypass (right side when going from Bangalore) inside the NHAI amenity complex has now given way to another A2B.

Last edited by NPV : 29th December 2015 at 12:13.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 12:58   #399
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

I'm planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum tomorrow evening. Planning a start time of 4:00 PM from Mysore Road.

What would be the expected travel time on a Friday evening ? I'm used to night driving and expect to cover the distance in 12 hours(i.e 4:00 AM arrival). Or would staying back at Madurai(friend's place) and restarting the journey in the early morning be a better option ?

Similarly, return is planned on Monday by around noon. Can I expect to reach Bangalore by 11 PM ?

Planning to take the Nagercoil route on both legs of the journey.

The requirement is that I be available in Trivandrum from 10:00 AM on Saturday till 11:00 AM on Monday.
Old 11th February 2016, 18:06   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Saravana Bhavan is the Kamat for TN.
But most of the Saravana Bhavans are not the Original Saravana Bhavan which is in Chennai, Vellore etc. In fact, A2B is expanding fast on the NHs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
I'm planning to drive from Bangalore to Trivandrum tomorrow evening. Planning a start time of 4:00 PM from Mysore Road.

What would be the expected travel time on a Friday evening ? I'm used to night driving and expect to cover the distance in 12 hours(i.e 4:00 AM arrival). Or would staying back at Madurai(friend's place) and restarting the journey in the early morning be a better option ?

Similarly, return is planned on Monday by around noon. Can I expect to reach Bangalore by 11 PM ?

Planning to take the Nagercoil route on both legs of the journey.

The requirement is that I be available in Trivandrum from 10:00 AM on Saturday till 11:00 AM on Monday.
Friday 4:00 PM start means, it will be unpredictable till you cross Salem. If possible, don't plan for stops till you cross Salem.

Bottlenecks will be the tolls till Salem and then crossing Salem during peak hours. And you may see lot of two-wheelers between Dindugal-Madurai, if you do this stretch before 9-10PM.

Timing for you return journey looks fine.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 19:29   #401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But most of the Saravana Bhavans are not the Original Saravana Bhavan which is in Chennai, Vellore etc. In fact, A2B is expanding fast on the NHs.
I meant the Erode based one and not the HSB (Hotel Saravana Bhavan). A2B is more on Bangalore and KA side. But down south I think its more of Saravana Bhavan.

Anyway more the better!

EDIT: Looks like A2B is also trying to come up down further south. One in Salem, Perundurai etc.

Last edited by ampere : 11th February 2016 at 20:15.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2016, 19:00   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

1) A2B near Madurai is open now. From bangalore side, its 2Km after Temple City hotel and comes on the right side. (around 15-20Kms from Kodai Road and 30Kms before Kappalur Toll/Hari's Restaurant)

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-1.jpg

2) Ponram Food Square(Ponram Biriyani) - Dindigul, If anyone wants to taste delicious biriyani on the highway, then this is the place for it. It's right next to a flyover on the highway.

- While going from bangalore, we will have to take the service lane towards Dindigul.
- While coming from Madurai/Trivandrum, we will anyways be below the flyover since this flyover is one-way. Take a right below this flyover and on the right side you will be able to see this Ponram Food Square.

Here is the exact location,
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Po...844719!1m0!3e0

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-3.jpg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-4optimized.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 1st March 2016 at 19:01.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 19:15   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2) Ponram Food Square(Ponram Biriyani) - Dindigul, If anyone wants to taste delicious biriyani on the highway, then this is the place for it. It's right next to a flyover on the highway.
Headed to Kodai and had a couple of questions. Asking here as this thread is more active.
  1. Since I am headed to Kodai, will the place Arun mentioned above come before I deviate to Batlagundu side from NH7? From the map point, looks to be the case, but wanted to confirm. Also, from a clean rest room point of view is this a decent place?
  2. Between Salem and Dindigul, are there any other good places to stop. More priority for decent ambiance and clean rest rooms. Typically when headed towards Coimbatore side, I stop at the A2B after leaving Salem. Any such place towards Dindigul?
  3. Assume it would be good to fill up fuel before I leave the NH?
  4. Is the deviation to Bantlagundu a clear one? Or is it like the Krishnagiri-Chennai deviation which can be easily missed?

Edit: Should have read back a few pages. From earlier comments, with a 5am start, A2B Thoppur, Estancia in Salem would be good breakfast options I assume? Or take NH47 and stop at A2B and then come back. Additonal question: Any recommended places on the Dindigul-Kodai stretch? (Maybe should ask in the Bangalore-Kodai thread. But I see the experts who would know active here )

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 11th May 2016 at 19:29.
Old 11th May 2016, 19:50   #404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since I am headed to Kodai, will the place Arun mentioned above come before I deviate to Batlagundu side from NH7? From the map point, looks to be the case, but wanted to confirm.
If you start at 4/4:30, your break fast point is at Salem. Thats the best option. Park Plaza, Grand Estancia, Saravana Bhavan etc. Take your pick. And once you cross this, I think its pretty much one drive to Kodai. May be you can take a breather after you exit the Dindigul Theni road towards the Ghat. There are many coconut shops!

Same while coming back. Drive to Salem. Take a break and drive back all the way.

You can easily make it in 8 hours. With sedate speeds and 4/4:30 start you can be at Kodai for lunch.

Quote:
Between Salem and Dindigul, are there any other good places to stop. More priority for decent ambiance and clean rest rooms.
There are some but I dont remember any one to my satisfaction, when I drove over the year end.

Quote:
Assume it would be good to fill up fuel before I leave the NH?
You should be able to run on one tank till Kodai. Its about 450-465

Quote:
Is the deviation to Bantlagundu a clear one? Or is it like the Krishnagiri-Chennai deviation which can be easily missed?
When you enter Dindigul bypass the bypass road does 90 degree. Dont take the service lane. After that take the side road. Look for Kodai exit sign. There is a sign for Kodai and not Batlagundu. And once on NH45, you will see sign for Theni.

Quote:
Edit: Should have read back a few pages. From earlier comments, with a 5am start, A2B Thoppur, Estancia in Salem would be good breakfast options I assume?
NH47 surely not required. Salem has good places. More than Estancia, my loyalties have shifted to Park Plaza.

Quote:
Any recommended places on the Dindigul-Kodai stretch?
Not much that I know of. There is one Sai Arya Bhavan, just before Batlagundu. I just saw while driving. It looked decent.

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2016 at 07:24. Reason: Fixed Typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 20:07   #405
BHPian

Quote:
There are some but I dont remember any one to my satisfaction, when I drove over the year end.
In Karur, there are some decent ones on the left side of NH7 on the road to Karur town and onto Trichy, NH67?

Post#24 and #26 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ngalore-2.html

Last edited by ajithbr : 11th May 2016 at 20:13.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks