Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 18:20   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
Has anyone traveled this route recently as planning to do this trip the coming week
Which route are you talking about?
Old 19th August 2018, 15:25   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Which route are you talking about?
I need to travel to Attingal from Bangalore. I normally do the Bangalore Salem Madurai Dindigul Thenmala through which I cut out to Attingal
Old 20th August 2018, 19:27   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrats View Post
I need to travel to Attingal from Bangalore. I normally do the Bangalore Salem Madurai Dindigul Thenmala through which I cut out to Attingal
Same question for a friend of mine.

Since Shenkottai road is closed - what is the situation via Nagercoil? Anyone has the recent updates after the floods?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2018, 20:13   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Same question for a friend of mine.

Since Shenkottai road is closed - what is the situation via Nagercoil? Anyone has the recent updates after the floods?
Nagercoil route is fine. You will have to take the diverted route which goes via Asaripallam road. The route is via Nagercoil Collector Office, Asaripallam, Thingal Nagar, Karungal, Pudhukkadai, Kannanagam Junction Bus Stop, Thirumannam , Uchakkada and Poovar.

OR

Take the diversion from Aralvaimozhi. This will bypass both Nagercoil and Parvathipuram flyover work. But later you will have to take the diversion for Marthandam flyover work.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 08:32   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The route is via Nagercoil Collector Office, Asaripallam, Thingal Nagar, Karungal, Pudhukkadai, Kannanagam Junction Bus Stop, Thirumannam , Uchakkada and Poovar.
So I've suggested this route and also given the old thread where you had given the dashcam pictures too. He would be driving a brand new Ciaz, so I guess Marthandam diversions can really be a bother.

Thank you Arun, again.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 10:50   #531
Senior - BHPian

I am traveling to Thiruvananthapuram with my mother, wife and daughter on August 28th, this is my first drive to Kerala and have booked my stay at Indeevaram Residency. The main purpose is to visit Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple and if time permits visit Kanyakumari. The carrier will be my Renault Duster, share any travel advisories and do's and dont's to be aware of during the trip.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st August 2018 at 10:52.
Old 21st August 2018, 11:10   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
if time permits visit Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari is just 30 minutes away from your diversion from the highway towards Nagercoil and Trivandrum. Should not be hard to plan.

28th being next Monday - how many days do you have at your disposal?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:16   #533
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The main purpose is to visit Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple and if time permits visit Kanyakumari.
En route to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum, try to visit the Padmanabhapuram Palace at Thuckalay, it will be worth it (check on their website for the weekly day off I think it's Tuesday ?). Suchindram temple is also on the way.

*I have no idea regarding the flood situation/damage in these parts, do check with others.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 11:41   #534
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, CrazyDriver and NPV, I have one full day on Tuesday at my disposal in Trivandrum. I am scheduled to visit Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple for 3:30am darshan on August 29th, planning to return to Bangalore after the early morning darshan, maybe around 5:00am. So, per your suggestions, I have enough time on Tuesday to visit Kanyakumari and Suchindram temple. My mother in law came back from Kerala today morning, she said conditions in Trivandrum was manageable but traveling from Guruvayoor to Bangalore was an issue.

Last edited by deehunk : 21st August 2018 at 11:43.
Old 22nd August 2018, 08:22   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So I've suggested this route and also given the old thread where you had given the dashcam pictures too. He would be driving a brand new Ciaz, so I guess Marthandam diversions can really be a bother.

Thank you Arun, again.
Nice highway to test Ciaz

Ask him to be little cautious on the Kavalkinaru - Nagercoil stretch. There are pot-holes here and there.

Yes, Marthandam diversion is a tricky one as its narrow and you will have to drive along with heavy vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
En route to Kanyakumari from Trivandrum, try to visit the Padmanabhapuram Palace at Thuckalay, it will be worth it (check on their website for the weekly day off I think it's Tuesday ?). Suchindram temple is also on the way.

*I have no idea regarding the flood situation/damage in these parts, do check with others.

Quote:
I have one full day on Tuesday at my disposal in Trivandrum.
Since the route via parvathipuram is blocked, its better to avoid Padmanabhapuram Palace during the onward journey. If interested better to cover this during the return by taking the Marthandam route.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:46   #536
BHPian

Starting for Trivandrum tomorrow at 5 a.m.

A senior citizen and 1.5 yrs. kid, along with spouse.

I am clear on the route till Madurai.

Do I continue to Nagercoil from there? Or any other route between Madurai and Trivandrum (MG Road)?

If I go via Nagercoil, which of the routes mentioned in the posts below makes most sense?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4372810 (Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post4253614 (Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries)

Thanks for your help.
Old 23rd September 2018, 19:09   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

I can't make out any difference between the two routes you have mentioned.

I had done Trivandrum - Thucalay and back a week ago and stuck to the usual NH47 (NH66 now). The diversion for Marthandam flyover work is narrow but roads are not bad compared to what we endure in Bangalore on a daily basis. It took some 20-30 mins extra to go around Marthandam. This was the route I took and as per google it is still the quickest.

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-screen-shot-20180923-7.00.02-pm.png

The diversion for Marthandam is clearly marked if you are traveling towards Kayakumari but not for the reverse journey. I don't understand what they would have lost if they had boards directing towards Trivandrum as well
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 22:39   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Starting for Trivandrum tomorrow at 5 a.m.

A senior citizen and 1.5 yrs. kid, along with spouse.

I am clear on the route till Madurai.

Do I continue to Nagercoil from there? Or any other route between Madurai and Trivandrum (MG Road)?

For the route mentioned by Jaguar, you will have to take a right at Aralvaimozhi which is around 15Kms before Nagercoil(google suggests this route). Basically you will bypass Nagercoil.

If you go till Nagercoil, then you will have to take the route which I have mentioned before. This is because of the parvathipuram flyover work.
Old 26th September 2018, 21:46   #539
BHPian

Hi.

Sorry, this update is overdue by a day, so better late than never.

No fuss till Aralvaimozhi.

Took a right turn from here as suggested on the forum, as well as GMaps.

All well for the first 30 mins., great roads and awesome rural setting.

Roads started to deteriorate after that, with each 6-10-14 wheeler trying to take you off the road.

40 kms. remaining as per GMaps, when we encountered a No-entry on NH-66. Traffic was pretty much ignoring this one-way, and there were no cops either. My spouse suggested to keep moving, but I ignored her and took the alternate route.

The 40 kms. to destination soon became 44, then 41-42-45 as we kept encountering multiple diversions.

Finally, merged on NH-66 after inquiring locally and reached the destination late by 40 mins. Not a big deal, considering overall commute of 740 kms.

By my own standards, I was ill prepared, and blame myself for messing up the route.

Thanks Arun & Jaguar for your inputs, they helped a great deal in reaching the destination safely.

Overall commute time was 15 hrs., including more than 3 hrs. of break time (20 min. at Shoolagiri HP complex, 40 min. at Sree Sarvana Bhavana post Krishnagiri, 60 min. at A2B Rasipuram, 30 min. at Hotel Temple City, before Madurai, 45 min. at Capsi Restaurant, before Tirunelveli (?).

FasTag worked during the entire journey. Post Madurai, it was manual scanner mostly.

Any specific questions on this route, pls. let me know. Missed the Google My -Tracks app, which would have otherwise recorded the entire route.

Thanks.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2018, 22:07   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Roads started to deteriorate after that, with each 6-10-14 wheeler trying to take you off the road.
Was this after 10:00 PM?
Quote:
40 kms. remaining as per GMaps, when we encountered a No-entry on NH-66. Traffic was pretty much ignoring this one-way, and there were no cops either. My spouse suggested to keep moving, but I ignored her and took the alternate route.

The 40 kms. to destination soon became 44, then 41-42-45 as we kept encountering multiple diversions.
Thanks for the detailed update, Safety is Param.

The alternate route which I had suggested via Nagercoil would have bypassed this stretch completely. But google maps doesn't show this route.
Quote:
(20 min. at Shoolagiri HP complex, 40 min. at Sree Sarvana Bhavana post Krishnagiri, 60 min. at A2B Rasipuram, 30 min. at Hotel Temple City, before Madurai, 45 min. at Capsi Restaurant, before Tirunelveli (?).
Yes, Capsi is some 20-25 Kms before Tirunelveli.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks