Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 18:04   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Folks

Does anyone have details on the Thenmala-Shengottiah-Rajapalayam route to Madurai. Are there any bad stretches on this route.
For my trip to Thiruvananthapuram, I intend to go via Tirunelveli, Nagercoil for the onward journey and the Rajapalayam route for the return journey.
Old 10th December 2018, 18:17   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Does anyone have details on the Thenmala-Shengottiah-Rajapalayam route to Madurai. Are there any bad stretches on this route.
For my trip to Thiruvananthapuram, I intend to go via Tirunelveli, Nagercoil for the onward journey and the Rajapalayam route for the return journey.
Punalur - Shengottah - Rajapalayam route is OK. The roads are in decent shape, though not excellent. The update is from this weekend. However the two-lane highway will tire you out (I hope you know that already). My pick for a drive to Bangalore (without overnight breaks) would be to hit the 4-laned NH44 near Kovilpatti instead of braving the traffic, especially inside towns
Old 10th December 2018, 18:35   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Punalur - Shengottah - Rajapalayam route is OK. The roads are in decent shape, though not excellent. The update is from this weekend. However the two-lane highway will tire you out (I hope you know that already). My pick for a drive to Bangalore (without overnight breaks) would be to hit the 4-laned NH44 near Kovilpatti instead of braving the traffic, especially inside towns
Thanks Mate. Any idea on the below shown route

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-trivandrum.jpg
Old 10th December 2018, 18:48   #574
Senior - BHPian

Is marthandam flyover open? It is supposed to be opened this month as per old reports. Any updates on this?

Quote:
Folks

I was on this route about a week ago. There are some bad stretches but none that are too bad like what you will find on work in progress sections of road connecting tvm to nagercoil. Some culvert work is going on after sivagiri and there are some untarred sections on this stretch. Some broken sections on kerala side on the two lane ghat section and also towards kulathupuzha. If you plan on reaching nagercoil at peak hours this alternate route could save some time and is a peaceful drive on TN side. During offpeak hours i prefer nagercoil route.

Quote:
Thanks Mate. Any idea on the below shown route

Attachment 1826714
Not worth it. Roads (what is left of it) are horrible and some large diamter pipe laying work is in progress from even before surulacode and towards kulasekaram. Expect offroading tracks instead of roads.

Last edited by Sankar : 10th December 2018 at 18:55.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 23:09   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Is marthandam flyover open? It is supposed to be opened this month as per old reports. Any updates on this?

No official communication yet. But there are some rumors going around which says that this flyover will be open for traffic from December 16th.

Meanwhile, Parvathipuram flyover will be kept open for public viewing on December 15th (4:00 PM to 7:00 PM).

Last edited by arun_josie : 10th December 2018 at 23:10.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:00   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So from Aralvaimozhi, which is the best route to go to Thiruvananthapuram (Secretariat)
Old 11th December 2018, 11:12   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
No official communication yet. But there are some rumors going around which says that this flyover will be open for traffic from December 16th.

Meanwhile, Parvathipuram flyover will be kept open for public viewing on December 15th (4:00 PM to 7:00 PM).
Some are saying Marthandam flyover will be open before Christmas and I hope they do. if they open for trafic by Dec 16th then it will be very good.

I passed underneath the Marthandam flyover when they had pedestrians day there on Nov 11th. Could see a lot of light an people up on the flyover.

Quote:
So from Aralvaimozhi, which is the best route to go to Thiruvananthapuram (Secretariat)
I have sent you a PM yesterday. Did you receive it?

--

Problem with google maps is that it tends to find the shortest route to a destination. I don't trust it too much nowadays, personal experience.

This was in mathrubhumi last week, probably it is a good place to put it here.
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-car_google_ditch.png

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...dent-1.3376423

Last edited by Sankar : 11th December 2018 at 11:35.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:13   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some are saying Marthandam flyover will be open before Christmas and I hope they do. if they open for trafic by Dec 16th then it will be very good.

I passed underneath the Marthandam flyover when they had pedestrians day there on Nov 11th. Could see a lot of light an people up on the flyover.

I have sent you a PM yesterday. Did you receive it?

--

Problem with google maps is that it tends to find the shortest route to a destination. I don't trust it too much nowadays, personal experience.

This was in mathrubhumi last week, probably it is a good place to put it here.
Attachment 1826740

https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...dent-1.3376423
Hi Sankar,

Received ur PM and sent you one. My destination is Hotel Town Tower in Thiruvananthapuram. Also I plan to cover Thirupathisaram temple. So from Aralvaimozhi which would be the best route.
Old 11th December 2018, 13:38   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sankar,

Received ur PM and sent you one. My destination is Hotel Town Tower in Thiruvananthapuram. Also I plan to cover Thirupathisaram temple. So from Aralvaimozhi which would be the best route.
Coming towards trivandrum from aralvaimozhi you could take the default national highway since they are letting vehicles from nagercoil side towards thuckalay under the flyover.

For marthandam hope the bridge is open by that time!
Ideally do not take payanam, thickurichy route google map shows, heavy vehicle traffic narrow road and the traffic flow is mostly towards nagercoil on that road.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:00   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Marthandam Flyover is open for traffic:

As per the below facebook video, the much awaited Marthandam flyover is open for traffic since early this morning. So, some relief for people traveling on the Nagercoil - Trivandrum stretch. Parvathipuram flyover is expected to be opened for traffic soon too.

arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 10:10   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, is it OK to take the NH 47 to Trivandrum?
Old 19th December 2018, 10:16   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, is it OK to take the NH 47 to Trivandrum? Is this flyover only 2 lane?
Old 19th December 2018, 10:23   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As per the below facebook video, the much awaited Marthandam flyover is open for traffic since early this morning. So, some relief for people traveling on the Nagercoil - Trivandrum stretch. Parvathipuram flyover is expected to be opened for traffic soon too.

A major inconvenience is now resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Now, is it OK to take the NH 47 to Trivandrum?
There is flyover work going on at parvatipuram and road work between vadassery and thovala so it is still not free motoring till NH44. But having said that marthandam was a problem area much worse than the other two sections so one big headache is now over for anyone wishing to take this route.

Other two sections can be bypassed from aralvaimozhy and we can join back on the NH just after parvatipuram (and vice versa) so no major inconvenience.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th December 2018 at 10:27.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 12:05   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

If you are still looking for this information, I just did Bangalore-Madurai-Rajapalayam and back last week.

The roads in the Madurai-Rajapalayam stretch were in decent shape with no surprises/potholes anywhere. The traffic inside Rajapalayam town is quite bad in the day time and can sometimes take more than 30 minutes to cross especially during peak hours.
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 16:36   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Parvathipuram flyover is open for traffic too:

Finally the headache of taking the alternate route on the Nagercoil - Trivandrum has come to and end. Both Marthandam flyover and Parvathipuram flyover has been opened for traffic from today.

Here is a video shared in facebook - Parvathipuram flyover,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Now, is it OK to take the NH 47 to Trivandrum? Is this flyover only 2 lane?
Quote:
A major inconvenience is now resolved.

There is flyover work going on at parvatipuram
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks