Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2022, 12:02   #691
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
To me it looks like, for now they are cautioning and not penalizing.
-Ravi
I really hope they increase the speed limit to at least 100 kph. 80 kph I feel is too low for that section which is mostly empty, minimal village crossings and excellent straight roads.
krishnakumar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 11:28   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I really hope they increase the speed limit to at least 100 kph. 80 kph I feel is too low for that section which is mostly empty, minimal village crossings and excellent straight roads.
NH7 is a drivers paradise, especially beyond Namakkal/Karur and beyond Madurai/Thirumangalam. People do crazy speeds that can't be specified here and is totally unsafe and illegal too.
That said, yes, 80 kmph is safe speed by rules, but due to others doing extremely high speed and if you are not careful, they may rear end, because of being "perceived" as slow vehicle !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 09:24   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

I took this route yesterday, I saw many doing high speeds and then braking hard/slowing down to 80Kmph whenever they notice these speed traps. This behavior is dangerous and we need to be very cautious while taking this stretch.

The speed displays on the Tirunelveli and Kovilpatti bypass have started capturing the speeds, this was not the case two months back.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:52   #694
BHPian

Did the BLR -- TVPM & vice-versa stretches last week (during Xmas to NewYear). Roads are good for the most part

Some points to note:
  • Nagerkovil -- Tvpm drive was a nightmare as usual. Narrow, winding, potholed (upto border, once enter Kerala road quality is better) roads full of haphazard drivers coupled with Xmas celebs/pandals every 50m ensured I took 3.5hrs to do this stretch of 60km or so
  • Return trip to BLR, after Nagerkovil there is a newly laid excellent bypass that takes one straight to after "Kaavalkinaru" junction, which was earlier done via two-way winding road via "Thovalai"/"Muppantal" temple etc.
  • On the Selam -- BLR stretch, soon after the Selam city there were lots of diversions onto service-roads due to various sorts of repair works happening on the main highway -- added up 1hr just standing in queues/negotiating thru single-lane instead of 3-lane
  • And ofcourse, as others pointed out, there are speed-indicators in Madurai -- Tirunelveli stretch, mostly placed just before the slowdown barricades at busy junctions. It shows in red if speed > 80km. While 80km limit on such junctions are appropriate, feel they must construct overbridges/underpasses to ease the journey of highway users!
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 22:06   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

It's really odd that there is no right turn to enter the Nagercoil bypass(while going towards Nagercoil). Instead we will have to take a U turn little ahead. It is tough for buses and trucks to take this U turn. I came across this traffic caused because of trucks which were not able to take U turn in one go. Wonder who came up with this senseless idea.

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20230124-10.02.25-pm.jpeg

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-bypass.jpg
Old 25th January 2023, 11:16   #696
BHPian

The usual of design & building being are just after thoughts.

The last time I went to Nagercoil, missed this U turn due to no indications and ended up taking the next one.

Could be the major highway from Kavalkinaru to Kanyakumari is a NH and this one is a SH. As usual two departments who do not speak to each other and we public find our own way
Old 24th February 2023, 18:23   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Some points to note:
  • Return trip to BLR, after Nagerkovil there is a newly laid excellent bypass that takes one straight to after "Kaavalkinaru" junction, which was earlier done via two-way winding road via "Thovalai"/"Muppantal" temple etc.
Is this bypass now officially open both ways? Last time, took this from Bangalore to Tvm and found the exit blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
It's really odd that there is no right turn to enter the Nagercoil bypass(while going towards Nagercoil). Instead we will have to take a U turn little ahead. It is tough for buses and trucks to take this U turn. I came across this traffic caused because of trucks which were not able to take U turn in one go. Wonder who came up with this senseless idea.
Exactly! And the signage is also very poorly made. Only saving grace is the relatively lesser traffic at these points, else would have blocked both direction traffic.

Also, in case one has to break the Tvm - Bangalore drive with an overnight stay for a family, are there any good recommendations? (Clean rooms and good food)
Something like Radisson at Salem

Last edited by sarathlal : 24th February 2023 at 18:25.
Old 24th February 2023, 22:25   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Also, in case one has to break the Tvm - Bangalore drive with an overnight stay for a family, are there any good recommendations? (Clean rooms and good food)
Something like Radisson at Salem
I generally take a break at Madurai - Hotel Amika (near Madurai Airport), when driving to TVM (if required). The main advantages are no need to enter Madurai city, minimal traffic, clean & good rooms, quiet surroundings, and good food.
Aiel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 17:00   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Is this bypass now officially open both ways? Last time, took this from Bangalore to Tvm and found the exit blocked
<snip>
Not sure if it's open both ways now. When I travelled BLR -- Tvpm on the day before Xmas, it wasn't.
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 20:56   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is open both-ways. Rs 40/- is the toll.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 21:51   #701
BHPian

Hello
I am planning to drive upto Bangalore from Trivandrum next week after a gap of 2 years.
What are the road conditions and afternoon traffic northwards of Salem on a weekday?

Last edited by gkrishk : 31st May 2023 at 21:54. Reason: grammar mistakes corrected
Old 31st May 2023, 22:13   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
What are the road conditions and afternoon traffic northwards of Salem on a weekday?
What I have noticed during weekdays runs is that, outside of office hours, there is not much traffic. Even entering KA is a breeze.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:50   #703

Road conditions bothe ways are fine right now. Just did a Bangalore trivandrum trip last week and except for one or two flyovers being built rest of the road is fine
othelloinme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:07   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by othelloinme View Post
Road conditions both ways are fine right now. Just did a Bangalore Trivandrum trip last week and except for one or two flyovers being built rest of the road is fine
Any recommended places to get lunch, I plan to start at 4 am from Whitefield to Trivandrum. I guess I can get the breakfast from Salem, lunch is what I was thinking about as I'm travelling with family. Earlier I used to have it from Capsi before Thirunelveli, last year they weren't open but.
Old 2nd June 2023, 19:20   #705
BHPian

Haris restaurant just after toll plaza on Madurai bypass (going south). Used to be veg only but now has a separate non-veg section.
gkrishk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks