Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2022, 22:06   #661
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
I am posting this on behalf of a friend who will be travelling with his family this Monday 21st Feb 2022. He is confused between the below two routes:

1. Bangalore - Madurai - Rajapalyam - Aryankavu - Trivandrum
2. Bangalore - Madurai - Nagercoil - Trivandrum.
The last I travelled between BLR-TRV was on 1st January 2022 and Madurai, Aryankavu route seemed way better in terms of overall quality of roads, except the traffic in the town area and few short bad patches. But since it is more than 3-4 months since the roads were reported as bad between Nagercoil and Trivandrum , I expect some repair works to be done, as is the case usually. Unless you get any feedback on the same from anyone who traveled recently, I think it will be a safe bet to stick to Madurai - Aryankavu route
Old 23rd February 2022, 20:22   #662
BHPian

Thanks arun_josie, deathwalkr, shinuak for your kind replies. My friend finally choose Bangalore - Madurai - Nagercoil - Trivandrum route and did faced a lot of traffic. He is planning to choose the other route in the return leg.
//M6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 13:16   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
Thanks arun_josie, deathwalkr, shinuak for your kind replies. My friend finally choose Bangalore - Madurai - Nagercoil - Trivandrum route and did faced a lot of traffic. He is planning to choose the other route in the return leg.
It is a very scenic route and has some lovely winding curves in the mountain section. But it's been sometime since i drove on that patch as my family does not take kindly to ghat section roads.

Still remember throwing my t-jet hugging the curves after i installed a gear throw reducer. At night with newly installed cats' eyes on fresh tarmac, it was a joy to drive on that road solo.

If your friend can leave Trivandrum by 5AM or so, the Nagercoil route would be a better choice as he can cross Nagercoil in under 2HRs and the rest would be just straight highways.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 24th February 2022 at 13:18.
Old 6th April 2022, 10:01   #664
BHPian

UPDATE

I commuted this highway last weekend (April 2nd, 2022) and this is the report:

* The roads from Hosur, all the way to Nagercoil (Aralvaimozhi exit) is excellent. Especially, the stretch from Madurai to Aralvaimozhi has been done recently, lane markings are fresh and crisp. The road is just delightful to drive on!

* IMPORTANT: Google Maps seems to be showing the Nagercoil Bypass road which is under construction as a completed commutable road. Please do not fall for this. I did an extra 5-6km because Google felt this is completed and I assumed it may have opened! Please take the exit to Aralvaimozhi.

* Route from Aralvaimozhi to Nagercoil is exactly the same. Smooth roads but just 2 lane (like how it has been for many years).

* Nagercoil to Thuckalay is decent, roadwork has been done and I couldn't find many rough patches on this stretch.

* Thuckalay to Balaramapuram road was horrendous earlier. This time around, they have done patchwork across this stretch. So while those crater-like potholes are gone, there are still some spots that you should look out for. However, average speeds have definitely improved and the commute has moved from dodging obstacles to driving defensively.

* From Balaramapuram, the roads are again 4-laned all the way to Trivandrum, so nothing to complain about except the traffic.

The below video should give you an idea. I commuted this stretch between 1pm and 3pm, so that should give you an idea about the traffic. Avoid crossing into Kerala during evening peak hours, it gets extremely busy!

Last edited by krishnakumar : 6th April 2022 at 10:04.
krishnakumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 07:11   #665

Has anyone taken the Whitefield-Attibelle Road to exit Bangalore recently? Wanted to know the latest road conditions.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th April 2022 at 20:01. Reason: Punctuation, capital letters
siamshukoor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th April 2022, 09:50   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamshukoor View Post
has anyone taken Whitefield- Attibelle road to exit Bangalore recently. wanted to know the latest road condition.
This is from around a month back, but directly to Hosur rather than through Attibele:
  • Whitefield till Gunjur: remains as it has been for several years. If starting in early morning one can avoid the traffic.
  • Gunjur to Dommasandra circle: newly laid, divided, 4-track roads. Incomplete in a few places.
  • Dommasandra circle to Sarjapur Police station: same as before, but not as bad as the roads in the opposite direction. Was easily doable. Road works are started in the opposite direction as well as a flyover for Dommasandra circle.
  • At Sarjapur PS circle, instead of taking a right to Attibele, continue straight. In less than one km you will join an NH, the roads are excellent till Hosur. Near Hosur more traffic can be expected. The Attibele road was quite bad when I took it several months back.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 14:37   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Nagercoil bypass road starting from Kavalkinaru is still not officially opened but google maps has started showing this route. I ignored it last few times but decided to try it out this time while coming from Nagercoil. The entry was on the wrong side as the other side is closed. After few Kms, the traffic moves to the left side and then again back to the wrong side. For the last few Kms, its back to the left side again. This route is scenic and of course quicker than the normal route. Overall, it’s 16 Kms and can be done in quick time.

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-whatsapp-image-20220427-2.16.37-pm.jpeg
arun_josie is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 12:48   #668
Senior - BHPian

Did a Trivandrum - Bangalore trip recently and the driving conditions remains really good. The patch works done after Thuckalay has been really helpful and now able to maintain good average speeds without having to worry about the huge craters. Unfortunately, the patchwork does not look like it will last long.

Also to note is the appearance of new speed brakes/bumps/humps soon after Attibelle, all the way upto E-City toll. There are 5-8 of them I think. These are causing continuous breakage of momentum and some frantic breaking of vehicles to avoid jumping over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Nagercoil bypass road starting from Kavalkinaru is still not officially opened but google maps has started showing this route. I ignored it last few times but decided to try it out this time while coming from Nagercoil.
Hi Arun, whats the visual cue for taking this bypass. Will attempt to take this on the way back.

Last edited by sarathlal : 7th May 2022 at 12:49.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:44   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hi Arun, whats the visual cue for taking this bypass. Will attempt to take this on the way back.
While going from bangalore, don't exit from the highway near Kavalkinaru, instead continue straight for another 2Kms and on the right side you will be able to see the entry for this bypass road. In fact most of the times gmaps suggest this bypass road.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 14:25   #670
Senior - BHPian

Just two updates from Krishnakumar's report as of today;

1. The road from Balaramapuram to Kaliyakkavilai is relaid completely and offers good ride. Just that the lane markings are not yet made, so please be careful for night drives.

2. Attempted the Nagercoil bypass. Unfortunately, the road was closed, just 4 kilometres prior to it merging back to the NH. Luckily the localities present redirected us through a shortcut road which allowed us to merge back to the NH quite easily, so did not lose out much on time and was able to utilise a good percentage of the new bypass. But looks like it will be a hit or miss case if anyone try to use this bypass at this stage as work is going on and they can close it out anytime at any point of the road.

As Arun mentioned, its a very scenic drive and will be a good cruise once it opens officially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
UPDATE

I commuted this highway last weekend (April 2nd, 2022) and this is the report:
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 23:13   #671
BHPian

Hello!. I will be driving from Bangalore to Poovar on 14th June evening. Hoping to drive for about six to seven hours and i do not want to enter into Madurai city and would prefer to stay in a decent hotel along the highway. just for the night Any suggestions?
Suggestions for the best route would also be appreciated!
Old 8th July 2022, 08:55   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
Hello!. I will be driving from Bangalore to Poovar on 14th June evening. Hoping to drive for about six to seven hours and i do not want to enter into Madurai city and would prefer to stay in a decent hotel along the highway. just for the night Any suggestions?
You can check Hari's Restaurant / Rooms, its on the highway just after the Kappalur toll. Its there on Makemytrip for bookings.

https://goo.gl/maps/EnTv6n41eHvSUVmY8
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 09:09   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
You can try Amika hotel, near Madurai airport. It is about a 15 minute detour from the highway on traffic-less 4 lane roads, but you do not have to enter the city.

We have stayed there a few times (when driving to Trivandrum), and it was clean, spacious (with lots of parking) and with good food.
Aiel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 18:03   #674
BHPian

How much will the tolls work out to be between Trivandrum - Bangalore?
Old 26th August 2022, 21:17   #675
BHPian

How is full road condition from Bangalore to Thiruvananthapuram? I am planning on a road trip on 30 August 2022 morning, if anybody can help with the road condition, it would help a lot? or
Should I take the Salem Coimbatore Kochi route (this is the normal route i take)

Appreciate your quick suggestions

thanks
ashi4877 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks