Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 20:16   #406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
In Karur, there are some decent ones on the left side of NH7 on the road to Karur town and onto Trichy, NH67?
Its really been a long time Ajit! How have you been. And Yes I do remember that discussion some time back. And also remember folks referring to drive into the town for some very good food.

But over all what I felt, was with early Bangalore start, one is already filled up at Salem. Hence the need to stop at Karur is quite low. One more reason, why I would have conveniently overlooked. Also its a good speed run after Salem down south as traffic is much less compared to NH47. So one can easily make it to Kodai by lunch. (Even sedate drivers like me).
Old 11th May 2016, 20:31   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its really been a long time Ajit! How have you been. And Yes I do remember that discussion some time back. And also remember folks referring to drive into the town for some very good food.

But over all what I felt, was with early Bangalore start, one is already filled up at Salem. Hence the need to stop at Karur is quite low.
Long time, yes .. maybe just reading and not posting anything here for the last 3 years since I moved to New York. But a true passionate rider would say, "once a bhp-ian, always a bhp-ian"

I always used to start around 4am from Bangalore, and then stop for a quick tea break immediately after Thoppur ghats on one of the roadside shops. Hence, stopping at Salem was never considered, and also as you said, it is a quick run on NH7 and you will reach the next best option in Karur before you want to take the next break.
ajithbr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 20:35   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But a true passionate rider would say, "once a bhp-ian, always a bhp-ian"
Well said!

Quote:
I always used to start around 4am from Bangalore, and then stop for a quick tea break immediately after Thoppur ghats on one of the roadside shops. Hence, stopping at Salem was never considered, and also as you said, it is a quick run on NH7 and you will reach the next best option in Karur before you want to take the next break.
Now thanks to 6 lane from Bangalore to Krishnagiri, one can make it to Salem in about 2.5 hours. So a 4AM start means Salem by 6:30/7. For folks with families there are many options at Salem. Thats how I do it too. After Salem, you dont need to stop all the way to Kodai. May be a quick breather at Batlagundu.

Thats the timing I managed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thanks Amp. I was also keen on Park Plaza but was thinking it would be expensive and heavy for a journey breakfast stop(Assuming they have only a Buffet)? Is that not the case. Do they have Ala-Carte also?
Dont remember an Ala-Carte.

Heavy breakfast yes! And yes expensive as well. But I am fine with the price, as we have such family vacations once in a while ! But if not Park or GRT, you also have the Asai Doasai Saravana Bhavan. Meanwhile on the way back we tried a different hotel at Salem. Decent food and not as expensive as Park.

Sivaraj Holiday Inn (here)

And we found it by chance. We did not want to go to Park on the way back. So we thought of Saravana Bhavan. As luck would have it, the place was full. Se we thought of going back to Park. You need to take a left towards station to get back to main road. And on this I spotted this business hotel. So we thought why not give it a shot! Quite decent a place. Not a buffet for lunch but Al-La Carte.

Last edited by ampere : 12th May 2016 at 07:25. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 20:36   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you start at 4/4:30, your break fast point is at Salem. Thats the best option. Park Plaza, Grand Estancia, Saravana Bhavan etc.
NH47 surely not required. Salem has good places. More than Estancia, my loyalties have shifted to Park Plaza.
Thanks Amp. I was also keen on Park Plaza but was thinking it would be expensive and heavy for a journey breakfast stop(Assuming they have only a Buffet)? Is that not the case. Do they have Ala-Carte also?
Old 11th May 2016, 20:39   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Now thanks to 6 lane from Bangalore to Krishnagiri, one can make it to Salem in about 2.5 hours. So a 4AM start means Salem by 6:30/7. For folks with families there are many options at Salem. Thats how I do it too. After Salem, you dont need to stop all the way to Kodai.
Agree about timing to reach Salem. However, the elders whenever they are with us(especially on temple trips, say to Palani), prefer to stop for a few minutes after the Thoppur Ghat section.

Also, maybe what you said is true for Kodai, but I am generalizing for any longer trip to South, say to Kanyakumari/Tiruchendur etc. In such cases, Karur could be closer to a mid-point break for those who prefers to stop longer only once.

Last edited by ampere : 11th May 2016 at 20:48. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 11th May 2016, 21:02   #411
BHPian

Quote:
I was also keen on Park Plaza but was thinking it would be expensive and heavy for a journey breakfast stop(Assuming they have only a Buffet)? Is that not the case. Do they have Ala-Carte also?
There is a vegetarian hotel, Makkal Sri Saravana Bhavan at Valasu ( close to Paravasa Ulagam ) in the Salem - Namakkal stretch towards Namakkal direction. I don't have any personal experience but seen this hotel during my last trip. Google reviews seems to be good for this hotel.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:10   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Between Salem and Dindigul, are there any other good places to stop. More priority for decent ambiance and clean rest rooms. Typically when headed towards Coimbatore side, I stop at the A2B after leaving Salem. Any such place towards Dindigul?
Stop between Salem - Dindigul is always tricky. So, I either stop before Salem or after Dindigul(before Madurai). During my last drive I saw a new hotel between Salem - Namakkal, but I have not tried this.

There is one option though, Valluvar Restaurant. This is around 25-30Kms after Karur and comes on the right side. You will have to take a "U" turn to reach this place. You can find a pic posted by J.Ravi sir here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3731516

In my opinion, this is a OK place.

(Or)

A2B Karur, this is 2Kms from the highway. Here is the map link,

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/10...10.9594133!3e0

Quote:
In Karur, there are some decent ones on the left side of NH7 on the road to Karur town and onto Trichy, NH67?

Post#24 and #26 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ngalore-2.html
That is Hotel Arunachala, as far as I know they don't open for breakfast. For lunch, they serve some good food and has some clean rest rooms. This is around 100M from the highway.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 23:53   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
That is Hotel Arunachala, as far as I know they don't open for breakfast. For lunch, they serve some good food and has some clean rest rooms. This is around 100M from the highway.
Yes, Hotel Arunachala.. see my posts #26 and #27 here:

It is been long but I remember seeing some other good hotel near to the same as well. It is only an option to break in that area, but may not be highly preferred if you had already stopped at Salem or anywhere else.

But, I remember having a good lunch there, and rest rooms were quite decent as well. Parking area was also good, and it is just only a touch away from NH7.
Old 11th May 2016, 23:58   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Between Salem and Dindigul, are there any other good places to stop. More priority for decent ambiance and clean rest rooms.
I remember reading acclaims for Saravana bhavan asai dosa, Salem, particularly for cleanliness, as well as for food. Its on NH7, with easy access using a nearby roundabout plus adjoining service road, for getting off and getting back in to NH7, both while southbound or northbound.

Quote:
Quote:
Additonal question: Any recommended places on the Dindigul-Kodai stretch?
I believe Vybhav Laxmi, Karur(rebranded old-timer Aristos), or Thalapakatti(eminent chain), Batlagundu, just before ascending kodai ghat section, have credibility for breather pit-stops, if required.
Throtttle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 08:18   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtttle View Post
I believe Vybhav Laxmi, Karur(rebranded old-timer Aristos), or Thalapakatti(eminent chain), Batlagundu, just before ascending kodai ghat section, have credibility for breather pit-stops, if required.
Vybhav Laxmi has closed its business some time back. When it was Aristos, we used to stop here, the food there used to be good and its has a nice open place for kids to move around as well.
Old 12th May 2016, 18:35   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Vybhav Laxmi has closed its business some time back.
This was very timely info for me Arun , had timed/planned lunch at Karur, at this place, while will be on this route in few days.

If somebody have first-hand or read feedback about these alternatives in same vicinity, for lunch purpose, than please share, it will help narrow down from below:
Apoorva Drive Inn: https://goo.gl/maps/1BStQ7HdHUs
Ammaiyappar: https://goo.gl/maps/GAvZwwcuJZL2
Aroma: https://goo.gl/maps/AgndaTtHeQ62 (aromahotels.in)
Shivamuruga: https://goo.gl/maps/mFDLbrf2Bp42

Besides, have somebody tried Arusuvai Restaurant, in-house to Hotel Coastal Residency, Namakkal, almost on NH7(https://goo.gl/maps/DE1n6nj2mF32). If its ok access & food wise, it can be a good bet amongst scarce lunch options after madurai and before Salem. May be for a stopover too, during odd timed journeys.
Old 12th May 2016, 19:48   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was very timely info for me Arun , had timed/planned lunch at Karur, at this place, while will be on this route in few days.

If somebody have first-hand or read feedback about these alternatives in same vicinity, for lunch purpose, than please share, it will help narrow down from below:
Apoorva Drive Inn: https://goo.gl/maps/1BStQ7HdHUs
Ammaiyappar: https://goo.gl/maps/GAvZwwcuJZL2
Aroma: https://goo.gl/maps/AgndaTtHeQ62 (aromahotels.in)
Shivamuruga: https://goo.gl/maps/mFDLbrf2Bp42

Besides, have somebody tried Arusuvai Restaurant, in-house to Hotel Coastal Residency, Namakkal, almost on NH7(https://goo.gl/maps/DE1n6nj2mF32). If its ok access & food wise, it can be a good bet amongst scarce lunch options after madurai and before Salem. May be for a stopover too, during odd timed journeys.
For lunch, you can try Hotel Arunachala - Karur, good food and clean restrooms. I couldn't find them in maps, but here is the location, its around 100M from the highway. You will have to take the service lane before taking a left.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/El...10.9621952!3e0

Apoorva Drive Inn, we have tried for breakfast and didn't like the food.
Old 12th May 2016, 20:54   #418
BHPian

Quote:
For lunch, you can try Hotel Arunachala - Karur, good food and clean restrooms. I couldn't find them in maps, but here is the location, its around 100M from the highway. You will have to take the service lane before taking a left.
For Hotel Arunachala.. see my posts #26 and #27 here:

In the same page, there is also a sketch of the map as well. A small description to take the right exit is in post#24

Last edited by ajithbr : 12th May 2016 at 20:56.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:52   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Fastag update on the Bangalore - Nagercoil/Kanyakumari/Trivandrum stretch.

Fastag update on the Bangalore - Nagercoil/Kanyakumari/Trivandrum stretch.

Number of Tolls: 11
Fastag lane available: 10 (Not activated in 5 of them)
Fastag worked successfully: 4
Allowed to pass without payment: 1
  1. Attibele - Fastag WORKED, other vehicles were NOT allowed on the Fastag lane, I received SMS after crossing the toll. Happiness is when you have Fastag and it works without any glitch This is the first time, it has worked for me.
  2. Krishnagiri - Other vehicles were allowed on the Fastag lane, when I said Fastag, they were looking around for the manual scanner, but finally they allowed me to pass without paying the toll. No SMS received till now.
  3. Thoppur - Fastag lane available, but still not activated.
  4. Omalur - Fastag Activated, Other vehicles were allowed on the Fastag lane, as per toll booth guy their system didn't detect my RFID. So, I had to pay cash. When I asked why Non Fastag vehicles are allowed on Fastag lane, he asked me to raise a complaint with higher officials
  5. Rasampalayam - Fastag WORKED, other vehicles were NOT allowed on the Fastag lane, I received SMS after crossing the toll. It looked like these guys were waiting for a vehicle with Fastag, as soon as I said Fastag around 3-4 guys came running in and the Fastag got detected successfully. Everyone watched that and they noted my car number as well.
  6. Velanchettiyur - Fastag WORKED, other vehicles were NOT allowed on the Fastag lane, I received SMS after crossing the toll. This experience was even better, Fastag got detected and my car number and toll amount was displayed.
  7. Kodai Road - Fastag WORKED, other vehicles were NOT allowed on the Fastag lane, I received SMS after crossing the toll. Again worked without any issues.
  8. Kappalur - No Fastag lane available yet, however there were couple of Fastag board.
  9. Etturvattam - Dedicated Fastag lane available but it was CLOSED and not yet activated.
  10. Salaipudhur - Dedicated Fastag lane is available but it was CLOSED and not yet activated.
  11. Nanguneri - Dedicated Fastag lane is available but it was CLOSED and not yet activated.
arun_josie is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 23:14   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This one(Ammaiyappar) has actually replaced Vybhav Laxmi at the same location, but this was closed as well. Not sure, why google map is showing a different location though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks