Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 13:26   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I am planning a trip to Coorg in September. This thread and rjstyles69's travellogue proved usefull.

I am looking for options for Taxi between Bagalore & Coorg. I asked Club Mahindra travel and they have quoted Rs 8500 (Innova) for a one way drop to Coorg from Bangalore. This is because the taxi also charges return fare.
For those in Bangalore, are you aware of a regular taxi operator between Bangalore & Coorg who charges less than that.

If nothing works then I am planning to book the KSRTC Volvo through their online booking site. Has anyone tried their online booking? Is this as good as the train booking? Also, does KSRTC operate a good service on this route?
Alternatively, are there any private Volvo buses on this route?
Hi Tushar,

What vehicle are you looking for from bangalore to Coorg and how many people would be traveling. We regularly book taxis for our own homestay guest's who come from bangalore to Coorg. Rs 8500/- for an innova just for a one wat drop is very high.It could be done for about 6k for an innova inclusive of return fare.

The KSRTC Volvo is a good option as well. I have booked online through their website and traveled many times. Each ticket costs about Rs 380/- one way. If your booking 2way then you get a small discount as well. There are 4-5 Volvo's plying between bangalore and coorg daily and getting a ticket should not really be a big problem.

Regards,
Zahed
Old 16th August 2010, 13:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

There are many operators I think. I remember there was a thread on Bangalore-Ooty travel and finally the member (I think sammyboy) ended with an Innova for about 10 per Km.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
What vehicle are you looking for from bangalore to Coorg and how many people would be traveling. We regularly book taxis for our own homestay guest's who come from bangalore to Coorg. Rs 8500/- for an innova just for a one wat drop is very high.It could be done for about 6k for an innova inclusive of return fare.
Zahed, thank you.
It will be two adults and 2 children. The rates mentioned to me were 5900 for an Indogo Taxi & 8500 for Innova.
I generally prefer Innova since it is a more comfortable vehicle for long drives.
Can you let me know the taxi operator from where you book? Will try and contact him. If he is providing an innova for 6K then the rates for a car should be lower.

From your post looks like the online booking option for KSRTC sounds reasonably good. If I don't get a taxi then I wil opt for the KSRTC option. They have two busses in the morning from Bangalore to Mercara.

BTW, on a side note, is Mercara the name of the town or is it Madikeri? It took me quite a while to find Madikeri on the KSRTC site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are many operators I think. I remember there was a thread on Bangalore-Ooty travel and finally the member (I think sammyboy) ended with an Innova for about 10 per Km.
Thanks ampere. Will search for this thread. This could prove useful.
Old 16th August 2010, 16:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Zahed, thank you.
It will be two adults and 2 children. The rates mentioned to me were 5900 for an Indogo Taxi & 8500 for Innova.
I generally prefer Innova since it is a more comfortable vehicle for long drives.
Can you let me know the taxi operator from where you book? Will try and contact him. If he is providing an innova for 6K then the rates for a car should be lower.

From your post looks like the online booking option for KSRTC sounds reasonably good. If I don't get a taxi then I wil opt for the KSRTC option. They have two busses in the morning from Bangalore to Mercara.

BTW, on a side note, is Mercara the name of the town or is it Madikeri? It took me quite a while to find Madikeri on the KSRTC site.
The KSRTC option is good. And it will work out way cheaper than a taxi. Money saved is money earned,right?? Likewise, call up Rehan on 09731250820 and mention my name ( Zahed from Coffee Creek Holiday Home,Coorg. ) and tell him your requirement. He will arrange for a cab for you from bangalore to coorg.

Mercara and Madikeri are both the same. Sometimes it is even referred to as Coorg,even though Coorg or Kodagu is the district and Madikeri or Mercara is the district headquarters.

Likewise, once your in Coorg, call me on 9342058884. Will meet up if iam not in Bangalore.

Regards,
Zahed
Old 16th August 2010, 16:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ptushar

What dates are you going to be in COORG? Me too travelling to Coorg from 9 to 12 sept. we are driving down from Ahmedabad. we are covering Hampi, Coorg, Jog Falls & Goa.

In coorg we are residing at SILVER BROOK ESTATE- A Coorg Homestay - Home
Old 16th August 2010, 18:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
The KSRTC option is good. And it will work out way cheaper than a taxi. Money saved is money earned,right?? Likewise, call up Rehan on 09731250820 and mention my name ( Zahed from Coffee Creek Holiday Home,Coorg. ) and tell him your requirement. He will arrange for a cab for you from bangalore to coorg.

Mercara and Madikeri are both the same. Sometimes it is even referred to as Coorg,even though Coorg or Kodagu is the district and Madikeri or Mercara is the district headquarters.

Likewise, once your in Coorg, call me on 9342058884. Will meet up if iam not in Bangalore.

Regards,
Zahed
Thanks Zahed. Truly appreciate your help.
Will speak to Rehan this week and check on the taxi. But from all that you have said and what I have read on TBHP, it does seem like KSRTC Volvo is a good option. And yes "money saved is most certainly money earned"

Will touchbase with you once in Coorg.

@ h@r$h@l I will be there in the week of 20th Sept. Its cool that you are driving down. Since number of days of holiday was restricted, chose to use public transport this time. But I bet it will be one cool drive there all the way from Ahmedabad. Enjoy maadi...
Old 16th August 2010, 23:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Please use the Volvos to coorg as its very convienient and has been put into service to attract more people to coorg.

September is a good time for you to come. Rains would have reduced usually(Though it aint raining now) and also you may be able to catch Kailpodh(Festival where the weapons are worshipped) and some Games usually held in each vilage.

Taxi is a bad option for four is what i feel as you would be able to get one from madikeri to your homestay.
Old 17th August 2010, 00:03   #23
BHPian

Guys, any idea about Kakkabe? How is this place, and any decent resorts/homestays to stay there?
And what's the route and road conditions from Bangalore?
Old 17th August 2010, 09:12   #24
BHPian

Hi Zahed

Quote:

Regards,
Zahed

Hey Zahed,

Just got hold of this thread while browsing through info reg nagarhole and route to kutta and kerala border.

I am on a short visit to nagarhole, stay in kutta homestay between 18th and 19th Aug.

I had some route queries for nagarhole and towards kutta. And best places to see in and around kutta. It should be short stint in kutta, say one day and next day will move to friends house in mananthavady.

Jolted ur contact no. Hope you wont mind calling in in case required.

btw, i am prasoon. works in bangalore and based in Calicut.

rgrds
prsnck
Old 17th August 2010, 09:44   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@princezahed: Went to your place but missed meeting you during our trip to Coorg in June.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Please use the Volvos to coorg as its very convienient and has been put into service to attract more people to coorg.

September is a good time for you to come. Rains would have reduced usually(Though it aint raining now) and also you may be able to catch Kailpodh(Festival where the weapons are worshipped) and some Games usually held in each vilage.

Taxi is a bad option for four is what i feel as you would be able to get one from madikeri to your homestay.
Hey maddy its started raining again since 2days. I think he is staying at Club mahindra so surely he will get lots of taxis to take him there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Guys, any idea about Kakkabe? How is this place, and any decent resorts/homestays to stay there?
And what's the route and road conditions from Bangalore?
kakkabe is one of the scenic places in Coorg ( most of coorg is scenic ).I think its about 35kms from madikeri,not sure exactly. Regarding homestays there you will find a few. Google them.

Quote:
Thanks Zahed. Truly appreciate your help.
Will speak to Rehan this week and check on the taxi. But from all that you have said and what I have read on TBHP, it does seem like KSRTC Volvo is a good option. And yes "money saved is most certainly money earned"

Will touchbase with you once in Coorg.
sure. i think i will be in coorg around the time you visit so we can meet up.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
kakkabe is one of the scenic places in Coorg ( most of coorg is scenic ).I think its about 35kms from madikeri,not sure exactly. Regarding homestays there you will find a few. Google them.
What is the preferred route, via Madikeri or take the diversion from Hunsur?
One more thing, how is the road condition in Kakkabe, the thing is I'll be traveling with my pregnant wife, so road conditions needs to be taken care of.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
What is the preferred route, via Madikeri or take the diversion from Hunsur?
One more thing, how is the road condition in Kakkabe, the thing is I'll be traveling with my pregnant wife, so road conditions needs to be taken care of.
I think if destination is Kakkabe or Virajpet or any place in South Coorg you divert at Hunsur itself. For north Coorg you go to Kushalnagar.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Siddapur to Gonikoppal

Folks,

Whats the shortest route to Gonikoppal/Ponnampet from Siddapura? Should I go via Ammathi or is there another route.
One map shows a direct route from Siddapura to Gonikoppal via Pollibetta. How is this route?
Old 22nd August 2010, 02:23   #30
BHPian

I had been to Coorg this July. The KSRTC Volvo in the night is good option if you are staying in Madikeri; if you are staying in any of the resorts/homestays outside of Madikeri then please ask them for a pick-up as this bus reaches very early in the morning (4 am) and Madikeri is dark and dead at that time. Or take a morning bus, its barely 6 hours from Bangalore. The Volvos are a fairly comfortable option.

Though no one has enquired, hopefully it will help someone - one can rent bikes in Madikeri to see the spots around. I had taken from a place called The Guide (check with your hotel, and tourist agencies around in Madikeri); and I saw other signs for bike rentals (no Bullets though, only 100 cc bikes for Rs. 500 deposit and Rs. 300 rental per day (negotiable)).

Its a beautiful place, especially in these months.

Last edited by manolin : 22nd August 2010 at 02:24. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks