Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 09:13   #31

Try the following route while driving to Coimbatore -

Bangalore -> Hosur -> Rayakottai -> Palakode -> Dharmapuri (Bypass) -> Thoppur -> Mecheri -> Mettur -> Ammapettai -> Anthiyur -> Athani -> Sathyamangalam -> Annur -> Coimbatore

Instead of driving upto Krishnagiri, one can take the diversion to the right after entering Hosur and drive to Rayakottai on the State Highway. The road is two laned and there's a lot of contract carriages and state transport corporations buses taking this route. The road is pretty good and one can consistently do 80kmpl and above except in a couple of places because of speed breakers or barricades.

The road connecting Bhavani to Coimbatore (NH-47) is in bad shape and hence the diversion towards Sathyamangalam which again is a two laned road but lacks potholes allowing comfortable driving and good speeds.
Old 12th March 2008, 14:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljosgeo View Post
Try the following route while driving to Coimbatore -

Bangalore -> Hosur -> Rayakottai -> Palakode -> Dharmapuri (Bypass) -> Thoppur -> Mecheri -> Mettur -> Ammapettai -> Anthiyur -> Athani -> Sathyamangalam -> Annur -> Coimbatore

Instead of driving upto Krishnagiri, one can take the diversion to the right after entering Hosur and drive to Rayakottai on the State Highway. The road is two laned and there's a lot of contract carriages and state transport corporations buses taking this route. The road is pretty good and one can consistently do 80kmpl and above except in a couple of places because of speed breakers or barricades.

The road connecting Bhavani to Coimbatore (NH-47) is in bad shape and hence the diversion towards Sathyamangalam which again is a two laned road but lacks potholes allowing comfortable driving and good speeds.
haljosgeo: While I understand your enthusiasm, you've not added anything of note. This information is already available in this thread.

You can actually do Athani -> Gobi -> Nambiyur -> Annur -> Cbe and save a litle bit more time too.
Old 10th April 2008, 22:00   #33
BHPian

Any one knows what is the road condition of Blr-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamrajnagar-Dimbam-Sathy-Coimbatore ?
Is this doable in about 6 - 7 hours?
Or would taking the NH7-Mettur-Sathy-Cbe be better if I want to do in 6 - 7 hours. Assume, normal driving habits. Thanks

Last edited by thalavoy : 10th April 2008 at 22:07.
Old 11th April 2008, 02:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

I did read a post by someone on the Chamrajnagar-Thimbam road recently. Can't find it now. However it was mentioned that the road conditions were pretty good. Nanjangud to Chamrajnagar was the only sector were the road conditions were ok. Meaning you have sudden unmarked speedbreakers and a few broken patches.

I started in Cbe around 1.30 pm and reached home at 8.00 non-stop. Actually I was in Bangalore limits by 6.45 - 7.00 but heavy traffic took me an hr or more. Should be able to do it in 7 hrs. Depends more on Mysore - Blr traffic as well.

It would take appoximately the same time if you take the Mettur road. You can avoid going to Sathy and save some more time if you take Athani - Gobi - Nambiyur - Annur/Puliyampatti.
Old 12th May 2008, 20:25   #35
BHPian

guys,

i have to travel to coimbatore from bangalore this weekend and I will be driving my swift diesel accompanied by my wife 'n 1 year kid. Pls let me know the best route to coimbatore - my requirements are: roads should be in good condition, less heavy vehicles traffic, minimal traffic bottlenecks and ofcourse safest option, as I am travelling with kid. I do not mind slightly longer route, if it is worth enough ...

thanks

- skb.
Old 13th May 2008, 00:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

ece2k2, I've PM'ed you with the details. Don't go down the roads less traveled as of now, since you have a kid and you might need to buy some stuff on the way.
Old 5th June 2008, 01:06   #37

Hello,

We need a little help deciding the best route to take. Five of us (I'll be doing most of the driving) in a Palio plan to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore on June 6, leaving Bangalore at 3:00. After reading through the threads, especially csentil's suggestions, on Team-BHP we noticed that the following is the recommended route:

Bangalore > Hosur > Rayakottai > Palakode > Dharmapuri (Bypass) > Thoppur > Mecheri > Mettur > Ammapettai > Anthiyur > Athani > Gobi > Nambiyur > Annur/Puliyampatti > Coimbatore

I'm unfamiliar with the routes in South India.

So, I checked Yahoo and Google maps, when I noticed that the route takes detours from NHs. Are there signboards on the way? Would someone be kind to describe the major landmarks to looks for, please?

Your suggestions will be a big help.

Thank you,
Ami
Old 5th June 2008, 02:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Uptil Mettur you should not have a problem. You'll find all the necessary signboards. Read some of my earlier posts for the route.

The only place where you might face a problem is Ammapettai. This is around 20 kms from Mettur. You'll have to enquire. Its a small junction just before the Ammapettai town where you need to take the right towards Andiyur. There is a police checkpost (atleast till I last used the route !!) You can enquire. After that the roads are well marked. You need to take a left at Andiyur as you might miss the small signboard there. If you are not sure please don't hesitate to ask for the route.

I'm not sure if you can follow the Athani -> Gobi route if you don't know Tamil. If you are adventurous you can still ask and take this route. Its not that the road is bad but its a winding road that goes through small villages and its quite scenic too. But you can't make haste on it !! There are no major roadsigns or landmarks to talk about. The left to Gobi is just after Athani town and goes through a host of paddy fields and ends right bang inside Gobi. You take a right there and get out of Gobi town and drive for 3 or more kms before you take the left to Nambiyur. I think the signboard is in Tamil.

Or you can just take Andiyur -> Athani -> Sathymangalam -> Puliyampatti -> Coimbatore. This is a straightforward route and you should not have any trouble. From Sathy take a left and its NH till Coimbatore.

Best of luck
Old 5th June 2008, 15:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

hi alienquark,

> to travel from Bangalore to Coimbatore on June 6, leaving Bangalore at

Tamil Nadu is having a bandh on the 7th of June protesting against the fuel price rise.
Old 5th June 2008, 23:47   #40

Based on csentil's suggestion, we'll take the Andiyur -> Athani -> Sathymangalam -> Puliyampatti -> Coimbatore route.

Is the Bangalore - Coimbatore stretch doable in about 7 hours, assuming average driving speed of 60kmph, and a couple of 10 minute breaks?

We hope to cross to Cochin on June 7th morning. Because we'll have a couple of older folks, and a baby in the vehicle we want to halt by 11PM.

Thank you, Rajesh. I hope we'll be able to cross the TN border before the bandh gets into full swing.

Thank you for the wishes.
Old 6th June 2008, 03:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

It depends on how much time you take to cross Hosur. Bangalore to TN border is horrible. Lot of 6 laning, flyover construction, deviations till there. It can take anywhere between 1 hr and more from Silk Board at times.

Hosur - Mettur should be 3 hrs. Mettur - Sathy in 2 hrs. Sathy to Coimbatore - 1 hr. Depends on traffic from Annur onwards.
Old 5th September 2008, 20:20   #42
BHPian

any updates on this route regarding roads and what stretches to avoid... this would be my first long trip and would love to do the coimbatore - gobi - mettur - dharmapuri - palacode - hosur - bangalore ... is it advisable for my first ever major trip alone ...or stick to the highways? any hairpin bends ( something which i have never did so a bit apprehensive? )

thanks
Old 6th September 2008, 06:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
It depends on how much time you take to cross Hosur. Bangalore to TN border is horrible. Lot of 6 laning, flyover construction, deviations till there. It can take anywhere between 1 hr and more from Silk Board at times.

Hosur - Mettur should be 3 hrs. Mettur - Sathy in 2 hrs. Sathy to Coimbatore - 1 hr. Depends on traffic from Annur onwards.
Senthil the other day when I did a quick Chennai - Bangalore & back trip, though being a holiday (Ganesh Chathurthi) I took the ORR - Sarjapura - Attibelle route, as recommended by A K Roy, it was a peaceful drive I reached Hosur in 1 hour from near IIM. May be this should be used until the Electronic City Mess is completed
Old 6th September 2008, 12:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
any updates on this route regarding roads and what stretches to avoid... this would be my first long trip and would love to do the coimbatore - gobi - mettur - dharmapuri - palacode - hosur - bangalore ... is it advisable for my first ever major trip alone ...or stick to the highways? any hairpin bends ( something which i have never did so a bit apprehensive? )

thanks
Nope there's no hairpin bend anywhere, unless you decide to go into Mettur town instead of taking the Mettur bypass. The road through Mettur town winds up for a couple of kms after the dam and is very picturesque. However if you are apprehensive you could take the Mettur bypass.

The road is good enough to drive through. The roads from Nambiyur - Gobi - Ammapettai are state roads but in good condition. Suggest you take it at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery. :-)

You don't have to enter Dharmapuri town. You will hit the Dharmapuri bypass and you can continue straight on towards Palakode bypass and Rayakottai.
Old 6th September 2008, 13:33   #45
BHPian

thank you senthil ...much appreciated

Most Viewed