Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:25   #46
BHPian

Dharmapuri-good place to break the journey?

Hi all,
Will be traveling to Coimbatore next week (final destination being Valparai). We'll leave Bangalore only by 4 or 5 pm. I was thinking of breaking the journey in Dharmapuri maybe. Question-are there any good hotels there? I was also thinking of Erode (not sure if going to Erode will be necessary to go to Cbe). Any thoughts/suggestions on hotels would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 6th October 2008, 11:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

You don't have to go to Erode to go to Coimbatore.

Normal route would be Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mechari - Mettur - Ammapettai - Andiyur - Athani - Sathy - Puliyampatti - Annur - Cbe. Please read previous posts on exact route details. Can be done in 6 hrs.
Old 6th October 2008, 16:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrules View Post
Hi all,
Will be traveling to Coimbatore next week (final destination being Valparai). We'll leave Bangalore only by 4 or 5 pm. I was thinking of breaking the journey in Dharmapuri maybe. Question-are there any good hotels there? I was also thinking of Erode (not sure if going to Erode will be necessary to go to Cbe). Any thoughts/suggestions on hotels would be much appreciated.
Thanks!!
Nomally I would suggest you to drive on and reach Valparai in late night.

In case you want a halt, Hotel Adhiyaman Palace is nice place to halt. Food is also good there.

Abhi
Old 6th October 2008, 17:16   #49
BHPian

I just came down from Valparai. I would recommend to take a break elsewhere and drive up the 40 hair pin bends during day. That way you would enjoy the scenery and avoid the occasional rash/slow driving by truckers.
Old 6th October 2008, 19:53   #50
BHPian

Thanks guys...appreciate it!!
Don't think wifey will be too keen or happy about driving beyond 10 pm. So, looking at leaving a little early and break for the night at Coimbatore. As Thalavoy suggested, I'll do the Cbe-Valparai section during the day and enjoy the scenery
Thanks again...cheers
Old 21st October 2008, 18:36   #51
BHPian

Hi Guys.. I need to travel to Coimbatore this weekend. I got some errand on sunday to finish. Since I will be having one whole day in CBE with nothing planned to do. Is there someplace interesting I can visit? I am interested in ancient/old architecture and am an antique book collector. So if there is something specific to my interests, it would be great. Thanks.
Old 21st October 2008, 21:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
You don't have to go to Erode to go to Coimbatore.

Normal route would be Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mechari - Mettur - Ammapettai - Andiyur - Athani - Sathy - Puliyampatti - Annur - Cbe. Please read previous posts on exact route details. Can be done in 6 hrs.
Hi

Bangalore to Krishnagiri is a breeze, but is the road between Krishnagiri to Dharmapuri ok these days? I have been avoiding this section due to the construction work, and hence have been regularly choosing the alternate route of Hosur - Rayakottah - Palakkod - Dharmapuri.

Also the alternate route is shorter by 20 KMs, right?

Last time i drove this route

Bangalore - Palakkod - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mechari - Mettur - Ammapettai - Andiyur - Athani - Sathy - Puliyampatti - Annur - Cbe

it took me less than 7 hours with 2 stops!

I intend to drive to cbe this friday afternoon. Any updates on the road conditions due to the rains in the last 2 weeks?
Old 21st October 2008, 23:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysan View Post

alternate route of Hosur - Rayakottah - Palakkod - Dharmapuri.
i took this route last weekend and it's not as good as it used to be, lot of patches after the rain. The krishnigiri dharmapuri stretch is almost complete and it not a pain to drive anymore infact it's nice.
Old 22nd October 2008, 14:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Also there are a couple of bridges being built and in the night time it is a tad difficult to spot it out.

I've not taken the Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri route for sometime so I don't have an update.
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:15   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
i took this route last weekend and it's not as good as it used to be, lot of patches after the rain. The krishnigiri dharmapuri stretch is almost complete and it not a pain to drive anymore infact it's nice.
Thanks Nemo, that helps.
Will update after my trip.
Old 24th October 2008, 16:15   #56
BHPian

Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri 4 lane roads are almost done. You can use the same road instead of going thru Royakottai/Palacode.

Do check the room vacancy in Hotel Adhiman Palace, Dharmapuri. Its gets fully booked most of the times
Old 30th October 2008, 18:40   #57
BHPian

I did this trip last weekend.

BLR to CBE via Hosur SH connecting btwn krishnagiri and dharmapuri - Salem - CBE - This route is rubbish.. the SH was forced upon us due to flyover construction on the karnataka side of the border. we took a right turn and went on a SH to reach about 50 kms before dharmapuri, on the krishnagiri-dharmapuri NH. It was nightmare after we reached Salem. The roads are good enough but the traffic is mind-numbing. Utter rubbish route. Lots of heavy vehicles

left bangalore - 3.00 AM and reached Jennys club, CBE @ 9.30 am

There is no way I will take this route, ever again.

Return route - I was contemplating a lot of alternates. Decided to go to Sathyamangalam from CBE.

Left CBE at 10.00 am and went on to Sathyamangalam. The roads are awesome. IF you are riding an RD on these roads, you will have a silly grin on your face for the next one week. So many twists and turns on carpet smooth roads. Awesome.. and I guess being diwali, there was zero traffic.

Reached the junction in Sathyamangalam where there is a right turn to Mettur and left turn towards Dhimbam. The thought of having to commute on Hosur road in bangalore came to my mind and i immediately turned left towards Dhimbam... I was feeling like twisties too.. lol

completed the 27 hairpin bends on the way to dhimbam. The roads are mildly damaged but overall very good. The hairpin bends are just that... textbook hairpins!

Crossed over to karnataka. Even if I missed reading the signboard I would have known we crossed tamilnadu.. because the quality of roads changed suddenly. It was not outright horrible but for my zen it was pretty bad. If you are driving an MUV/SUV then you can cruise over these potholes without thinking twice.

Bad roads continued till mysore. Dint take the mysore bypass. went inside the city and emerged on mysore-blr road. This road doesnt need introduction.

Saw a MacD on the way and stopped for late lunch.

took the NICE road just on the outskirts of bangalore towards hosur road. After the kanakpura metro crossing, when you continue on the NICE road, it suddenly disappears! Then it is offroading to get off the road.

Joined hosur road and after 1 km took deviation on jail road towards sarjapur.

All in all, just avoid salem-CBE route if you can.

Last edited by ak916 : 30th October 2008 at 18:42.
Old 31st October 2008, 01:46   #58
Senior - BHPian

which route from coimbatore to bangalore shortest in distance or fastest to reach.interested in covering the route with my bullet with pillion.please suggest.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
which route from coimbatore to bangalore shortest in distance or fastest to reach.interested in covering the route with my bullet with pillion.please suggest.
For a bullet ride, try the following route, you will enjoy:

CBE - Annur - Saty - Athyinur - Ammuapet - Metter - Bhavani - Dharmapuri - Palacode - Rayakottah - Hosur - Bangalore

There was another route which csentil did, Mettur - Mechari - Pennagaram - Anchatti - Denkanikota - Hosur (is this the one csentil which has nice scenic beauty, ghats but single lane excellent roads)

Abhi
Old 31st October 2008, 10:08   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysan View Post
I intend to drive to cbe this friday afternoon. Any updates on the road conditions due to the rains in the last 2 weeks?
Harry please let us know the route you are taking and road condition, after you do your trip. My friends are driving to BLR on monday 3rd Nov. and are anxious about the trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks