Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2024, 00:32   #1246
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJames View Post

Is it worth a try?
I did this route a year ago on the way back from Kotagiri- Mettupalayam. Superb 2 lane roads, great scenery. Travelling in the early afternoon also meant sparse traffic. GMaps also showed this route to be quicker over the Avinashi-Salem route. Some ongoing road construction may slow you down in the Mettur area, but nothing too bad.
vandemanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 19:08   #1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
I did this route a year ago on the way back from Kotagiri- Mettupalayam. Superb 2 lane roads, great scenery. Travelling in the early afternoon also meant sparse traffic. GMaps also showed this route to be quicker over the Avinashi-Salem route. Some ongoing road construction may slow you down in the Mettur area, but nothing too bad.
Thanks for your Suggestion and took this Route today and it was a neat Two Lane.

Bangalore (Yemalur) - 5:40 AM
Hosur - 6:25 AM

There was slight traffic due to ongoing bridge construction near sipcot even during morning hours.

Krishnagiri - 07:00 AM
Dharmapuri - 07:35 AM

Saw Flyover construction of Hosur Rayakottai Dharmapuri 4 lane with good progress. Guess this should complete in a year.

Halt at SaiSangeet at 07:45 AM. Personally prefer their taste over others.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_2229.jpg

Left Hotel at 08:05 AM

And after crossing Thoppur took the two lane via Mecheri - Mettur - Sathyamangalam

Crossed Sathyamangalam around 10 AM.

Sathyamangalam to Mettupalayam stretch was little tight with traffic but it was only during the last 20 kms so it was fine.

Reached Mettupalayam at 11:05 AM

Overall journey time with break is 5hrs and 25 Mins.

Also my i20 Diesel delivered some incredible performance and mileage. Will be missing these Diesel cars in coming years.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_2234.jpg
Old 11th February 2024, 14:29   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
Hello Folks,

Driving to Pazhani(Palani) from Bangalore on 11th Feb. It is my wife and I visiting Lord Muruga in our Jimny AT. No pressure on time and no kids so planning to take :

Planned start at 5 am. And pit stops as we roll with no fixed plan. We are Ok to reach say by 4 pm.

Any opinions / Suggestions? Many thanks

Subbu.
Hi!
Kollegal has some good restaurants and one can spot them as one drives through the town till the left turnoff to Dhondeling etc.
I have tried breakfast at these joints and they offer piping hot idly & tasty dosas . Not too much choice like pongal, upma , puri as in bangalore but if idly dosa will suffice , you won't be disappointed.
Have a safe and fun drive! And enjoy the scenary in the forest drive.
Passatman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 11:02   #1249
BHPian

Just back from the BLR- Palani trip

11th Feb

5 am start from Hennur- Mysore road-Maddur Exit- Breakfast at Maddur Tiifany's(640 am)-Kollegla-Dhondenling-Germalam- Dhimbam Ghats- Satyamangalam- Palladam- Dharapuram - Palani

Reached at 215 pm- distance 415 kms - drive time-7 hrs 20 mins-(We took several breaks, longest one at Dhondenling for bout 30 mins)

Roads were good for the most part- The worst section was immediately after taking the right towards Dhondenling from Kollegal-Anthiyur road. Has huge craters randomly for about 15-20 kms. Low GC vehicles should avoid this in stead proceed till Hanur and then take a right towards Dhondenling, about 10kms more but should take the same time. The road was otherwise scenic, and beautiful just like a wow On Sunday we just had 4-5 vehicles crossing from the opposite side. A word of caution - Immediately after the forest check post (20 rs for cars) they have laid new tarmac - while the surface is butter smooth, the edges are nearly a foot deep If there is a larger incoming vehicle, given the narrow width of the road, crossing will require some planning, sedans can not manage. Spent some time in beautiful Dhondenling village and then proceeded towards the Dhimbam ghats. Dhimbam ghats had very little traffic(crossed between 915-10am). Requires watchful eyes on right turning hairpin bends as the larger vehicles tend to turn into the outer lane, that is our lane, for their left turns- So smaller vehicles should drive momentarily on the wrong lane-Should not pose any problem as long as you are watchful.

the road from Bannari till Palani- via sathy, Puliyampatti, Palladam, Dharapuram was decent but all town crossings had heavy traffic and slowed us down.
Returned via Dindigul- Bangalore NH44 route on 13th- But took a break at Salem outer in a highway hotel- Green Ridge- decent for a night's shack up with an attached restaurant.

Thanks to the forum members for helping to plan this drive.

All through Jimny kept us planted and engaged, returned an overall trip mileage of 12.9 KMPL over 951 Kms.

Some photos below :
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dl1.jpg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dl2.jpg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-dl3.jpg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-pl1.jpg  

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-pl3.jpg  

Last edited by subbu567 : 13th February 2024 at 11:11. Reason: added further context
subbu567 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:02   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
5 am start from Hennur- Mysore road-Maddur Exit- Breakfast at Maddur Tiifany's(640 am)-Kollegla-Dhondenling-Germalam- Dhimbam Ghats- Satyamangalam- Palladam- Dharapuram - Palani
Thanks for the update!

I am thinking of taking this route to Kochi this Friday, but can only start by 8AM. Planning to take Kanakapura road.

I have done this route in 2015 and found the eateries and rest room options were almost nonexistent. How is the situation now?
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:41   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post

I have done this route in 2015 and found the eateries and rest room options were almost nonexistent. How is the situation now?
You have to have breakfast at Maddur Tiffany's or any other that you may find on Kanakapura road. I dont remember seeing any until we reached Sathy after taking the Dhondenling road.

Also pls be mindful- the height of the newly laid road on this stretch was almost 8-10 inches at many places. So sedans or Low GC cars cant get off the road at all
subbu567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 01:06   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update!

I am thinking of taking this route to Kochi this Friday, but can only start by 8AM. Planning to take Kanakapura road.

If you're planning to start only at 8, there are a couple of decent options for breakfast between Bangalore and Kanakapura. One is Udupi Upahar which is on the left side just after you pass the Art of Living Ashram and the other is Mandarathi Vybhava which is midway between Kaggalipura and Harohalli bypass (again on the left side).

For lunch your best bet would be something on NH 544 after you join it at Karumathampatti (Or Coimbatore in case you plan to go through the city). There is almost nothing noteworthy between Chamarajnagar and Coimbatore.
kala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 09:52   #1253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
You have to have breakfast at Maddur Tiffany's or any other that you may find on Kanakapura road. I dont remember seeing any until we reached Sathy after taking the Dhondenling road.
I definitely wont recommend Kanakpura road for CBE. Esp the one towards Germalem. Its quite broken from Kollegal exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you're planning to start only at 8, there are a couple of decent options for breakfast between Bangalore and Kanakapura. One is Udupi Upahar which is on the left side just after you pass the Art of Living Ashram and the other is Mandarathi Vybhava which is midway between Kaggalipura and Harohalli bypass (again on the left side).

For lunch your best bet would be something on NH 544 after you join it at Karumathampatti (Or Coimbatore in case you plan to go through the city). There is almost nothing noteworthy between Chamarajnagar and Coimbatore.
Good to see you after a long time!

As regards to Kanakpura road quite some changes that are coming up:
  • Besides the Kanakpura town bypass, this road is also now being re-aligned near Cauvery. Many of you who visit Shiva Samudaram would have seen the road snake around the hill and go near Cavery. Now they re-aligned it to go straight and arrive at the bridfge on Cauvery.
  • A new bridge on Cauvery is coming up
  • Post the bridge where the exit to Madhyaranga temple and second waterfall comes up, there is new alignment to skip the the Sathyagala town as well.
  • And then there is a brand new bypass for Kollegal town. No more snaking in the town. The road totally skips Kollegal and directly realigns with Uttmballi and continues (this is west of Kollegal)
  • East side not be left behind, there is a new bypass which connects directly to the Kollegal-Hanur-Mettur road.
  • A new toll booth is also coming up on Kanakpura road as well

Last edited by ampere : 25th April 2024 at 09:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks