Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2022, 16:43   #1111
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

I had taken the Thoppur-Mettur-Bhavani route, last year december, and it was a good route, with less traffic, probably due to mornings.
Mettur -Bhavani has good 2 lane roads, but has Bus traffic, which can slow you down.
The time taken for me was the same as the regular Salem route.
Old 13th March 2022, 09:46   #1112
BHPian

I drove last weekend - Coimbatore - Annur - Sathy - Anthiyur - Mettur bypass - Thoppur. Left at 3pm and reached Thoppur toll plaza just about 7pm. Roads are good. There was some festival on the road just after Mettur - that took about 15 minutes to cross and then going with slow traffic for some 10km - you get stuck behind 3-4 trucks, then it is hard to overtake. I took this route because of summer - highway is way too sunny and boring. This was nice and kept the window rolled down by half. It is a bit tiresome with turns and traffic - but worth it once a while.

If your objective is only to avoid Salem, Omalur to Sankari state highway is a much better option - I used to frequently take that during flyover construction in Salem.

This Friday night, while coming back, I came through Salem and there were hardly any delays. However, note that road works are going on between Bhavani and Avinashi - some 6km on Avinashi bypass on one direction was closed for tarring and it took 1.5 hours to cover that via service road with very bad traffic jams. Lesson learned - keep Google maps on for next 2 weeks.
vsbabu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:40   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
I drove last weekend - Coimbatore - Annur - Sathy - Anthiyur - Mettur bypass - Thoppur. Left at 3pm and reached Thoppur toll plaza just about 7pm. Roads are good........
How is the Thoppur-Mecheri route?
Last September when I took it, it was horrible with numerous potholes. Also railway overbridge was under construction near Mecheri railway station. Is it completed now?
Old 13th March 2022, 12:57   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
How is the Thoppur-Mecheri route?
Last September when I took it, it was horrible with numerous potholes. Also railway overbridge was under construction near Mecheri railway station. Is it completed now?
It is excellent now. I'm not sure I saw railway station, but once past Mecheri (at the junction with the road that goes to Edappadi), it great to drive.

Edit : I took the road via Pottaneri from Mettur. Also, I skipped Mettur Dam by taking the road near thermal power plant. Mecheri Railway Station is on another road - saw that on Google maps.

Last edited by vsbabu : 13th March 2022 at 13:08. Reason: Additional info
vsbabu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 15:59   #1115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
If your objective is only to avoid Salem, Omalur to Sankari state highway is a much better option - I used to frequently take that during flyover construction in Salem.
I was thinking maybe Mettur can cause delay thanks to town traffic. Instead why not Thoppur-Macherri-Eddapadi-Sankari and then the 4-lanes. Cuts of town traffic and still avoids Omalur/Salem.

Quote:
This Friday night, while coming back, I came through Salem and there were hardly any delays.
Probably because you drive at night?

Quote:
However, note that road works are going on between Bhavani and Avinashi - some 6km on Avinashi bypass on one direction was closed for tarring and it took 1.5 hours to cover that via service road with very bad traffic jams. Lesson learned - keep Google maps on for next 2 weeks.
Now this may be the other reason for your first assertion on using Sathy. But all said and done a 4-lane working holding traffic is bad news any day!
Old 13th March 2022, 18:41   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Exercise extreme caution while crossing Salem, Traffic police have installed speed cameras, as reported by Hindu.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 21:21   #1117
BHPian

At least after all the over bridges have become functional, Salem isn't a problem to cross. It definitely does not save any time to go through Mettur or Edappadi unless one is bored of the usual 4 lane highways.
luvurride is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:30   #1118
BHPian

So I was crossing Thoppur Ghat few days back. Towards Salem is a downward ramp which bends sharply at a point. When approaching it, suddenly heard the voice of God - "Go Slow". I thought with all the recently put barricades and signages, the cops must have installed cameras too, and were watching me.

The real reason, I found on the way back, was a recorded message they kept playing on the mike.

In another note, two flyovers are coming up at Omalur, so all the more reason to bypass it and not pay the Omalur Toll (if the destination is somewhere along NH544).
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 19:51   #1119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
So I was crossing Thoppur Ghat few days back. Towards Salem is a downward ramp which bends sharply at a point. When approaching it, suddenly heard the voice of God - "Go Slow". I thought with all the recently put barricades and signages, the cops must have installed cameras too, and were watching me.

The real reason, I found on the way back, was a recorded message they kept playing on the mike.
Ha ha ha... I have detailed the new thoppur ghat experience here (Poor man’s travelogue | Photo-less & nonexotic), go through it if you have time.

Last edited by venkyhere : 17th March 2022 at 19:53.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:41   #1120

Hi All, I am traveling to Coimbatore next weekend with family. I will be reaching there from Kodaikanal and will stay for a night on 2nd April. I plan to visit at least Adiyogi and Maruthamalai temple and travel back to Bangalore on 3rd April.
1) Any stay suggestions considering the two places on my list and the travel to Bangalore next day?
2) What time should I plan to reach Coimbatore from Kodai on 2nd April so that I can comfortably spend time at Isha yoga center considering it will be hot?
3) I plan to visit Maruthamalai temple the next morning and leave for Bangalore. So any idea how much time it might take for Maruthamalai?
4) Any food suggestion in Coimbatore or on the route to Bangalore.
Old 22nd March 2022, 13:31   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks4568 View Post
Hi All, I am traveling to Coimbatore next weekend with family. I will be reaching there from Kodaikanal and will stay for a night on 2nd April. I plan to visit at least Adiyogi and Maruthamalai temple and travel back to Bangalore on 3rd April.
1) Any stay suggestions considering the two places on my list and the travel to Bangalore next day?
2) What time should I plan to reach Coimbatore from Kodai on 2nd April so that I can comfortably spend time at Isha yoga center considering it will be hot?
3) I plan to visit Maruthamalai temple the next morning and leave for Bangalore. So any idea how much time it might take for Maruthamalai?
4) Any food suggestion in Coimbatore or on the route to Bangalore.
Kodai to Coimbatore by car should take 4-5 hours [ 2 hours to Palani and 2 hours to Coimbatore ]. If you leave early you can reach by 10-11. Isha centre and Maruthamalai and on 2 different routes in Coimbatore. You can stay in the city Gandhipuram, RS Puram, Railway Station area to reach both places. Check MakeMytrip, GoIbibo for options. Maruthamalai is 30-40 min drive from Gandhipuram. There are plenty of food option in Coimbatore and On the way. [ Coimbatore - Gowrishankar Saibaba Colony, MTP Road, Airport Road, Gandhipuram ] Highway [ A2B, multiple hotels after Krishnagiri toll ]
speedkrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 20:50   #1122
BHPian

New NH to bypass Hosur via Palakodu
On Sunday I Drove to Salem. Since I started only at 10.30 am and I was not in any hurry, decided to take the Rayakottai-Palakodu road (NH 844) instead of the usual krishnagiri route to enjoy the drive on tree lined two lane road.

After crossing hosur, I saw bypass roads were getting built for few villages and many of the tree cover was gone in some sections. I thought it would be road widening work. But after crossing palakodu I could see massive 4 laning work, then I realized this is something big.

After reaching home, googled and found that the Dharmapuri-Palakodu-Rayakottai road is elevated as NH 844 and it is going to be 4 lane toll road and it will bypass hosur and join the NH 44 at Neraluru (near chandapura).
I think this will cut down the Blr-Salem travel time by atleast 30 to 60 mintues and it will become the default route for all south TN/KL bound traffic.
Attaching the map of proposed highway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NH844 alignment.pdf (3.41 MB, 2408 views)
Landkruzer is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 14:12   #1123
BHPian

Anyone has recently done Bangalore - Coimbatore via

1) Kollegal, Chamrajnagar, Hasanur, Dhimbham
2) Kollegal, Dhonderling, Germalam, Dhimbham

Looking for updates on road conditions.
Old 17th April 2022, 13:11   #1124
BHPian

There was a huge jam in thoppur ghat in the direction towards Salem. I was heading to Bangalore. The jam is caused due to an accident in the ghat section. When I saw 2 hrs back, the Jam was extending from thoppur toll plaza ! This ghat section is always having accidents and NH authorities or any other authorities are not able to find a permanent solution for this. Almost daily I read about accidents in this section.
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 14:32   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
There was a huge jam in thoppur ghat in the direction towards Salem. I was heading to Bangalore. The jam is caused due to an accident in the ghat section. When I saw 2 hrs back, the Jam was extending from thoppur toll plaza ! This ghat section is always having accidents and NH authorities or any other authorities are not able to find a permanent solution for this. Almost daily I read about accidents in this section.
A family known to me was traveling from Bangalore to Salem on 14th April. They met with an accident at Thoppur ghat. A truck rammed their car from behind and their car in turn hit the car in front and so on. A total of 4-5 cars and the truck were involved in the accident.
Rear passengers who were not wearing seatbelts were injured (not life threatening). Front passengers were wearing seatbelts and came out unscathed. Car is totalled.
There was a scary multi vehicle accident in this ghar section 2-3 years ago due to a speeding truck.
I'm always scared when traversing this part of the highway.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks