Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:41   #361
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Hi Guys,

Back from Coimbatore round trip.

Took the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathyamangalam-Coimbatore route while going. Total distance from Gottigere (Bannerghatta road) is 320 kms. Travel time 6HRS 30 MIN (includes break time of 1 hr) with an average speed of 80 km/hr

AWESOME is all i have to say about this route. Very good roads all the way. The stretch between Chamarajnagar and Sathy is very very scenic and you can ecperience the dip in the temperature as well.

On the return journey, took Coimbatore-Metupalyam-Ooty-Masinagudi-Gundulpet-Mysore-Bangalore route. The stretch from CBE to Metupalyam is kind of bad because of the road widening. The rest of the route has excellent roads. The raods between Nanjangud and Mysore has been recently tarred.
Old 1st June 2011, 18:58   #362
BHPian

Did a CBE->BLR trip yesterday morning. Started at 10 AM and reached ORR at 3 PM.

The 4-laning activities between Avinashi and CBE, eventhough has created problems, they are progressing well and opened sections of road. This along with good-roads all along the way made this possible. Never exceeded 110.

I hope once the complete path is 4-laned we can post something of order of 4:30 hours. Wish that this gets done ASAP ( before the petrol prices hit 100 )
Old 7th June 2011, 08:57   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Did a CBE->BLR trip yesterday morning. Started at 10 AM and reached ORR at 3 PM.

The 4-laning activities between Avinashi and CBE, eventhough has created problems, they are progressing well and opened sections of road. This along with good-roads all along the way made this possible. Never exceeded 110.

I hope once the complete path is 4-laned we can post something of order of 4:30 hours. Wish that this gets done ASAP ( before the petrol prices hit 100 )
5 hours looks a bit impossible. Very recently i had done a trip which worked out to 6 hrs.Average speed of 120kmph on the highways.

Which part of coimbatore you started.

Last edited by rki2007 : 7th June 2011 at 09:02. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 7th June 2011, 13:48   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
5 hours looks a bit impossible. Very recently i had done a trip which worked out to 6 hrs.Average speed of 120kmph on the highways.

Which part of coimbatore you started.
Yes, it is indeed possible!. I start from Hope's college and to Bellandur, which is around 340 kms.

5 hours means I kept an average of 70 kmph.

Considering that outside the 'Avinashi-CBE' the average can be around 80-90 kmph which is around 280 kms. I can spare 1.5 hours to cross 60 kms which is very much doable!.

Places where we lose time are checkpost@thoppur->toll@dharmapuri wherein we are usually blocked by racing-trucks doing an amazing 20-21 kmph. In this segment I did not get any such and so I covered it without letting my needle go down below 70 kmph.

The next segment is toll@Krishnagiri->Hosur. Because I covered it during the lunch time there were no trucks!.

Thats the case, my dear man
Old 7th June 2011, 17:00   #365
Senior - BHPian

My friend csentil did this lesser than 5 hours in his civic.

Read his post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2214590

-Ravi
Old 25th July 2011, 12:11   #366
BHPian

Coimbatore to Bangalore

Hi,

Which would be the best route out of the below two options from Coimbatore to Bangalore

1. Coimbatore->salem->Krishnagiri->Bangalore
2. Coimbatore->Sathyamangalam->Chamarajnagar->Yeladur->Kollegal->Maddur->Bangalore

Please help.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:17   #367
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coimbatore to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
Hi,

Which would be the best route out of the below two options from Coimbatore to Bangalore

2. Coimbatore->Sathyamangalam->Chamarajnagar->Yeladur->Kollegal->Maddur->Bangalore

Please help.
For Option 1, you have to pass through the under construction road from Coimbatore to Chengapalli (around 60 kms.). It will be a breeze after this point.

If I were you, I would take option 2 because I hate driving through the under contruction stretch.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:53   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
For Option 1, you have to pass through the under construction road from Coimbatore to Chengapalli (around 60 kms.). It will be a breeze after this point.

If I were you, I would take option 2 because I hate driving through the under contruction stretch.
How bad is this 6o km stretch? And any idea about the road condition in option 2?
Old 25th July 2011, 13:30   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
How bad is this 6o km stretch? And any idea about the road condition in option 2?
Can't answer the first question since I haven't been that way recently - but the last time I passed through that road a couple of months back it was hell to drive with very slushy diversions (it happened to be raining) and heavy to very heavy traffic. Could have improved perhaps.

Roads on route option 2 are in excellent condition. Traffic could be fairly heavy from Coimbatore till Annur, from there on it's a breeze. Of course one may not be able to reach the same speeds as one would do on the good portions of NH47 and NH7 since this is a 2 laned highway without dividers (Plus you have the Dimbam ghats with 28 hairpin bends to negotiate). But traffic is sparse and the route very scenic, so likely to be a much more relaxed drive.

I used this road while returning from Cochin last week and it took me about 5.5 hours from Coimbatore Railway Station to Banashankari in Bangalore (330 kms approx.) with a tea break of about 20 minutes. Highly recommended.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 16:52   #370
BHPian

Thanks guys for the inputs.

I have been to Chennai in April through the Salem route and as mentioned by ramesh, the roads after coimbatore to chengapalli is under construction and it eats up our time with bad stretches and diversions. Thats why I searched for alternate routes plus the route in option# 2 is less by around 40Kms as per mapmyindia.com.

But if that route with the ghat sections, hairpins etc would take more time to reach Bangalore, then I would like to stick to the salem route itself. Any idea of the time it requires via Salem to Bangalore?

Last edited by sudheermenon : 25th July 2011 at 16:53. Reason: Wanted to add one more line
Old 25th July 2011, 17:04   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for the inputs.

I have been to Chennai in April through the Salem route and as mentioned by ramesh, the roads after coimbatore to chengapalli is under construction and it eats up our time with bad stretches and diversions. Thats why I searched for alternate routes plus the route in option# 2 is less by around 40Kms as per mapmyindia.com.

But if that route with the ghat sections, hairpins etc would take more time to reach Bangalore, then I would like to stick to the salem route itself. Any idea of the time it requires via Salem to Bangalore?
Chengapalli->Salem->Electronics City is about 300 kms and you can do 100+ consistently in this fully 4L stretch except at Toll gates and Thoppur Ghats. So, anywhere from 3 to 4 hours is easily achievable in this stretch !
Old 25th July 2011, 17:52   #372
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ip-update.html

This thread usually has all the updates. Check it out.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:01   #373
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Please help.
Significant progress has been made on the stretch between chengapalli - coimbatore where 4 laning is in progress. I traveled in May end and did the stretch in good time (weekday morning 11am). But depends on truck traffic that gets heavy in evenings and weekends (and I don't know what effect monsoons have had on the stretch). You can also turn off from NH47 at Perundurai and go via Palladam.
For more details, alternate routes and recent road condition updates see this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...h-nh47-15.html
Hope this helps.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:40   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Chengapalli->Salem->Electronics City is about 300 kms and you can do 100+ consistently in this fully 4L stretch except at Toll gates and Thoppur Ghats. So, anywhere from 3 to 4 hours is easily achievable in this stretch !
I am a reasonably fast driver and the best I've been able to do on the NH7 stretch between Silk Board junction and Salem (NH-47 / NH7 junction) has been about 2.5 hours (An average speed of about 80) basically because of the rather heavy truck traffic that this stretch sees plus the time you lose on Thoppur ghats and on the Salem byepass (which is a very slow byepass - almost like city traffic). I doubt if one can do the remaining 175 kms between Salem and Coimbatore in less than 3 hours given the current state of the roads after Chengapalli.

So on the whole I'd say it would take almost the same time for travel between Bangalore and Coimbatore via either NH47/NH7 or NH-209, approximately 5.5 hrs.

As an aside - NH7 south of Salem (towards Madurai / Kanyakumari) is way faster than the Bangalore-Salem section, one can easily average 100+ without really stretching yourself, thanks to the very sparse traffic you encounter in this sector.

Last edited by kala : 25th July 2011 at 22:42.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:42   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I am a reasonably fast driver and the best I've been able to do on the NH7 stretch between Silk Board junction and Salem (NH-47 / NH7 junction) has been about 2.5 hours (An average speed of about 80) basically because of the rather heavy truck traffic that this stretch sees plus the time you lose on Thoppur ghats and on the Salem byepass (which is a very slow byepass - almost like city traffic). I doubt if one can do the remaining 175 kms between Salem and Coimbatore in less than 3 hours given the current state of the roads after Chengapalli.

So on the whole I'd say it would take almost the same time for travel between Bangalore and Coimbatore via either NH47/NH7 or NH-209, approximately 5.5 hrs.

As an aside - NH7 south of Salem (towards Madurai / Kanyakumari) is way faster than the Bangalore-Salem section, one can easily average 100+ without really stretching yourself, thanks to the very sparse traffic you encounter in this sector.
I guess the best person to answer the fastest drive possible on this stretch is CSENTHIL !!! ... Remember reading before that he did BLR-CBE in 4 hours and so would like to read his comments.

BTW, I only mentioned that Chengapalli->Salem->Electronics City can be done in 4 hours. Salem->Chengapalli is about 100 kms and you can cover that stretch in about 1.5 hours easily. So, your 2.5 hours to Salem makes it 4 hours for about 300 kms of 4L road and we are on the same page

And I fully agree that it would take almost the same time for travel between Bangalore and Coimbatore via either NH47/NH7 or NH-209, approximately 5.5 hrs to max. 6 hours

Last edited by ajithbr : 26th July 2011 at 16:43.

Most Viewed