Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 12:18   #316
J.Ravi

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithnarasimhan View Post
took the NH 209 from bangalore. route-kollegal-chamrajnagar-dhimbam-sathy-pulliampatti-Coimbatore. The roads are in really good condition.Twisty ,curvy, well paved tarmac greets the riders. A treat for the CURVE lovers.
I got the information what I have been searching for! I wish to take this route tomorrow to my Kochi trip assuming that the road condition has not deteriorated.

Old 21st April 2011, 18:18   #317
Senior - BHPian

Ravi - hope that you will post the update if you take this route. I used to love this route, but for the roads.

I just reached CBE a few hours back. Took the regular route till Avanashi, then diverted into Annur and got home into Ganapathy. Left JP nagar at 10.30 AM and reached Ganapathy at 3.35 PM. No traffic at all on the roads. Didnt stop anywhere inbetween. Drove non-stop and was happy to cover this in 5 hours.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:59   #318
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to drive to Cochin tomorrow and planning to take the NH-209 NH-47 combination. Would like to avoid Coimbatore city. Google maps suggests taking SH-165 from Annur to Karumathampatty (where you join NH-47 about 10 kms before the start of the L&T byepass).

Any idea if this last 10 kms stretch is also in the 4 lane construction phase now ? Also has anyone travelled this SH between Annur and NH47 ? Is this road in good condition ?
Old 25th April 2011, 14:37   #319
BHPian

Updates on Route from Bangalore to Coimbatore - April 2011

I keep driving to Coimbatore from Bangalore atleast once a year. I got bored of NH7-NH47 so decided to drive on NH 209.

Route - Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Shivasamudra-Kollegal-Chanrajnagar-Thimbam Ghat Road-Satyamangala-Coimbatore

Distance - 305-320km

No tolls on this route Save around 200-300 rs that you pay on NH7-NH47 including Rs 50 for ETL and Rs 90 for NICE Road

This route is also around 60 Km shorter so you would save 250-400 Rs of Petrol and you would not be able to drive above 80-100 Hence more fuel efficiency.

Total Time - 5.5 - 6 hours Would be 30 min to 60 min longer than NH7 Salem route

Road conditions - Excellent in patches, Good most of the way. Narrow roads between Kollegal and Chamrajnagar. Passes through villages.

Can break the monotony of driving on a 4 lane expressway, beautiful green scenary at Thimbam Ghat section, Lovely Bamboo forests, 20 km of downhill drive, Cauvery at Shivasamudram, Can take a break on the banks of Cauvery.

Would suggest this route for Coimbatore and folks going to Kerala to go via Annur, Avinashi and Coimbatore bypass to Palakkad.

Will update some snaps in my next post....
Old 25th April 2011, 15:38   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post

Route - Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Shivasamudra-Kollegal-Chanrajnagar-Thimbam Ghat Road-Satyamangala-Coimbatore
When I traveled last, the road b/w Chamarajanagara till TN border was in a fairly bad condition. How is it now?

I agree with all the plus points. One negative is that the absence of good restaurants along the way, including in a big town like Sathy. And the 30+ hair pin bends could be tricky for first timers in the ghats.

Prasad
Old 25th April 2011, 18:19   #321
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Ravi - hope that you will post the update if you take this route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
When I traveled last, the road b/w Chamarajanagara till TN border was in a fairly bad condition. How is it now?
The NH 209 road condition varies from very good [in Karnataka] to excellent [in Tamil Nadu]. However, the initial 25-km stretch connecting Maddur and Malavalli [SH 33] is full of potholes and craters.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th April 2011 at 18:22.

Old 25th April 2011, 19:14   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The NH 209 road condition varies from very good [in Karnataka] to excellent [in Tamil Nadu]. However, the initial 25-km stretch connecting Maddur and Malavalli [SH 33] is full of potholes and craters.
If that is the case, why go via Maddur? One can take the Kanakpura road in toto.
Is it not? Is it that initial stages of NH209 from Bangalore is bad?
Old 25th April 2011, 19:30   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Maddur->Malavalli road is in the same condition for about 10 years now, I think. People, mostly bikers, take this road to Sivanasamudram/Talekkad usually and come back with same feedback. Seems, they dont check T-BHP before making their trips.
Not sure first-hand but someone said Mandya->Bannur->T Narsipura->Sante Marahalli(?)->Chamarajanagar has much better roads. You are on NH-212 (opposite direction to Calicut) and NH-209 for a good stretch. Remember taking this route once 5 years back and it was decent enough as compared to Malavalli->Maddur stretch.
Old 25th April 2011, 23:15   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'm planning to drive to Cochin tomorrow and planning to take the NH-209 NH-47 combination. Would like to avoid Coimbatore city. Google maps suggests taking SH-165 from Annur to Karumathampatty (where you join NH-47 about 10 kms before the start of the L&T byepass).

Any idea if this last 10 kms stretch is also in the 4 lane construction phase now ? Also has anyone travelled this SH between Annur and NH47 ? Is this road in good condition ?
Update : Did the trip Saturday afternoon. Was more than happy with the trip upto the point where we joined NH-47 (at Karumathampatty). Road from Chamarajnagar to Annur is excellent and Annur to Karumathampatty is very good. In spite of incessant rains that accompanied us from Dimbam, managed to reach this point (NH47 about 10 kms before Coimbatore byepass) in 4 hrs 30 minutes with a 15 minute tea break at Hasanur.

The rest of the journey was a different matter altogether. Very heavy traffic, diversions and rain, and we took 2 hours to reach Walayar from this point :( Took 9 hours overall to reach Cochin including an additional dinner break of about half an hour.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:56   #325
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If that is the case, why go via Maddur? One can take the Kanakpura road in toto.
I preferred this route because of 4-laned Bangalore-Mysore SH 17 up to Maddur. I was not aware of this bad stretch earlier. Moreover, I just followed the route recommended by my MMI navigator.

Old 26th April 2011, 09:06   #326
Senior - BHPian

I came back from Coimbatore yesterday. Was bored of the highways and decided to come via Ooty. I wanted to take the C'nagar, Kanakapura road and avoid mysore totally. Somehow, i missed the road after Gundlupet and had to come thru Nanjangud and Mysore. I am not good in clearing Mysore fast and each time i had to cross Mysore and come, i lose about 30-45 minutes and yesterday was nothing different. I just kept going around in circles in Mysore and finally, i could manage to get the highway leading to Bangalore.

I now have to look up the maps and figure out where i lost the turn to Chamarajnagar after Gundlupet.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:19   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not good in clearing Mysore fast and each time i had to cross Mysore and come, i lose about 30-45 minutes and yesterday was nothing different. I just kept going around in circles in Mysore and finally, i could manage to get the highway leading to Bangalore.
This is the route i usually take, while returning from ooty. Will completely avoid all mysore city traffic and one-way roads inside mysore. Most of them are in NH212.

Nanjangudu, Karnataka, India to Bengaluru, Karnataka, India - Google Maps

When you come from Ooty/Gundlupet/Nanjangud, before you reach mysore, you would see a big shiva temple on the left after cross Mysore Airport. Once you cross that shiva temple, take the right turn in a junction/signal, which will lead you towards Mysore Race course/Zoo and subsequently to the road towards Lalitha Mahal Palace which you can see on the right. After you cross Lalitha mahal palace, take the left and you will hit a junction shortly. Take right in that junction if you drive for about 0.5 km or so, you can see the mysore bypass ring road on your left, which will hit directly in Mysore-Bangalore Highway - Columbia Asia hospital junction.

I hope was clear

-Ravi
Old 26th April 2011, 15:20   #328
BHPian

Roads from Maddur to Malavalli is bad.

Kanakpura to Malavallai is good to excellent. Overall roads are driveable no major potholed stretches.

Some snaps I took in April 2011

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-picture-010.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-005.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-007.jpg

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-014.jpg

The roads in the forests are excellent.
Old 26th April 2011, 21:20   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came back from Coimbatore yesterday. Was bored of the highways and decided to come via Ooty. I wanted to take the C'nagar, Kanakapura road and avoid mysore totally. Somehow, i missed the road after Gundlupet and had to come thru Nanjangud and Mysore. I am not good in clearing Mysore fast and each time i had to cross Mysore and come, i lose about 30-45 minutes and yesterday was nothing different. I just kept going around in circles in Mysore and finally, i could manage to get the highway leading to Bangalore.

I now have to look up the maps and figure out where i lost the turn to Chamarajnagar after Gundlupet.
When coming from Ooty you need to turn right immediately after the RTO Checkpost to go to Chamarajnagar. (The RTO Checkpost itself is about 50 meters or so after the point where the road from Wayanad joins the Ooty Mysore road).
Old 26th April 2011, 22:19   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
When coming from Ooty you need to turn right immediately after the RTO Checkpost to go to Chamarajnagar. (The RTO Checkpost itself is about 50 meters or so after the point where the road from Wayanad joins the Ooty Mysore road).
Remember seeing a big Karnataka tourism board (the typical forest green color) indicating to take the route to "K. Gudi (Kyathadevara Gudi) Wilderness Camp" as well, and this place is close to B.R. Hills near C Nagar (Chamarajnagar).

If I remember right, this is the ONLY right road after Wynad road joins from left and before Gundlupet KSRTC stand (that comes on your left towards Mysore).

Most Viewed