Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2011, 23:58   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRunner View Post
Avinashi to Coimbatore is in bad shape (Confirmed by another set of friends who traveled the same day ) so took the smaller but good road to Annur and then to Coimbatore
Yes, the road between avinashi and coimbatore is in a very bad state with 4 lane work going on. There are lots of deviations. For 40Kms it took more than a hour for me, the traffic is also a problem. I started bangalore(bannerghatta road) at 3:15AM and reached coimbatore at 8:00 AM.
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:38   #392
Distinguished - BHPian

I am doing a Bangalore - Coimbatore round trip next week, has any one traveled between Avinashi to Coimbatore very recently? If so, howz the current road condition? Last time when I took this route it was in a bad state.

Any other good alternate route between Avinashi and Coimbatore?
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:40   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I am doing a Bangalore - Coimbatore round trip next week, has any one traveled between Avinashi to Coimbatore very recently? If so, howz the current road condition? Last time when I took this route it was in a bad state.

Stick to the NH47 between Avinashi & CBE.Road quality is very good,though diversions are still in place at many points.4 laning has been completed on many sections.Avinashi town is the only bottleneck at the moment.You should be able to do the stretch in 60-90mins time.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:32   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

ranjitp1, thanks for your quick response! Nice to hear that the road quality is good. Last when I took this route is was very bad.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:26   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did this route day before yesterday. First few diversions near Neelambur was in bad shape otherwise the whole stretch is good. Also, twice I was stuck in traffic at the junction just after L&T toll booth, both during evening hours.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:36   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Try NH-209 (Blr-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathyamangalam-CBE) for a change if you're travelling during the day. Roads are in very good condition and it's by and large a very scenic and stress-free drive (Takes about the same time as travelling via NH7/NH47 and you save some money on tolls )
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:56   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Try NH-209 (Blr-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Sathyamangalam-CBE) for a change if you're travelling during the day. Roads are in very good condition and it's by and large a very scenic and stress-free drive (Takes about the same time as travelling via NH7/NH47 and you save some money on tolls )
Agree. I would personally take NH209 during the day if my final destination is Coimbatore.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:53   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Agree. I would personally take NH209 during the day if my final destination is Coimbatore.
Thanks for the suggestion.
My return journey is definitely through Avinashi, Salem because I will be starting late evening. I can consider the NH-209 route for my onward journey. But is it safe to take this route because I am driving with my Wife and four yr old kid only. I have heard people saying that this route is not advised when traveling with family, its difficult to get help in case of any emergency. Also, is it a st forward route OR will I have to look for sign boards/land marks etc to be on the right path. Please advise.
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:01   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My return journey is definitely through Avinashi, Salem because I will be starting late evening. I can consider the NH-209 route for my onward journey. But is it safe to take this route because I am driving with my Wife and four yr old kid only. I have heard people saying that this route is not advised when traveling with family, its difficult to get help in case of any emergency. Also, is it a st forward route OR will I have to look for sign boards/land marks etc to be on the right path. Please advise.
I think the route is safe for a day journey but you will not find restaurants on the way. You will have to ask for directions in the towns - Kollegal, Chamarajnagar etc. The route is scenic. Especially the Dhimbham ghats.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 11:26   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to avoid the Coimbatore-Avanashi section, you could do Coimbatore-Annur-Avanashi. The total distance will increase by about 15 Kms but, you will get rid of the under construction road. But, still remember that you will have to go through the pain from Avanashi-Chengapalli (20 Kms).
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 12:26   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
remember that you will have to go through the pain from Avanashi-Chengapalli (20 Kms).
Precisely the point! Last week when I returned from Coimbatore, I ended up going to Sathy and then back to Bhavani via Gobi, which was really circuitous but with an intention of avoiding the 4 laning work. The original plan was to go to Annur and then take diversion to Gobi via Nambiyur, but then local drivers at Annur advised against using this route for bad/unknown roads. Took me about 2.30 hrs to reach Bhavani. I did want to try the Kollegal route, but read in the newspaper that morning about toppled lorries blocking traffic almost every day in the ghat section owing to rains.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:31   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Precisely the point! Last week when I returned from Coimbatore, I ended up going to Sathy and then back to Bhavani via Gobi, which was really circuitous but with an intention of avoiding the 4 laning work. The original plan was to go to Annur and then take diversion to Gobi via Nambiyur, but then local drivers at Annur advised against using this route for bad/unknown roads. Took me about 2.30 hrs to reach Bhavani. I did want to try the Kollegal route, but read in the newspaper that morning about toppled lorries blocking traffic almost every day in the ghat section owing to rains.
My personal preference would be Coimbatore-Sathy-Anthiyur-Mettur-Thoppur-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

I did Sathy-Thoppur 2 weeks back and the road condition is very good except few patches for around 5 Kms from Ammapet-Mettur. I was able to do consistent 80-100 KMPH. Another advantage here is that you can avoid 2-3 Tolls.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:46   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
My personal preference would be Coimbatore-Sathy-Anthiyur-Mettur-Thoppur-Krishnagiri-Bangalore.

I did Sathy-Thoppur 2 weeks back and the road condition is very good except few patches for around 5 Kms from Ammapet-Mettur. I was able to do consistent 80-100 KMPH. Another advantage here is that you can avoid 2-3 Tolls.
Hmmm interesting, as I thought that the conditions were much worse from Thoppur-Mecheri. The last I travelled on this was exactly an year ago after the rains. Did they carry out repairs afterwards? I'll probably try this out when I travel end of this month.
Old 5th November 2011, 12:52   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Hmmm interesting, as I thought that the conditions were much worse from Thoppur-Mecheri. The last I travelled on this was exactly an year ago after the rains. Did they carry out repairs afterwards? I'll probably try this out when I travel end of this month.
Yes. Its worth the try. Road condition from Mecheri-Thoppur is good. I was able to cover this stretch in 15-20 minutes .
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 17:20   #405
BHPian

Folks,

Any further update on the road widening status between Avinashi and Coimbatore.

Planning to leave on Thursday morning at 5:00 AM from Blr (Sadashivnagar) and want to reach Coimbatore by 10 AM. Is it doable via the NH7 plus NH47 route.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks