Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 01:18   #466
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I just checked Google maps. If one starts from around Ganapathy area in CBE, The route via Puliampatty/Nambiyur to Perundurai is about 10km more than the one via Avinashi and directly gives access to 4L at a very good point. It also helps by-pass most diversions in and around Avinashi. But that would be valid only when the Puliampatty-Nambiyur-Perundurai stretch is good. Thats the reason I asked that question.
I remember the road being very narrow and passing through many villages which may eat away a lot of time as you have to be really patient. If one goes till Nambiyur, then it might be better to join the Sathy-Gobi road and reach Bhavani. However, my concern in these routes are the little too many forks that may confuse first timers.
If it is about time, I still did good taking the 47 till Avinashi and then through Annur. All the other alternatives were good to try, but I could not make it in less than 6.30 hours.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:50   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I remember the road being very narrow and passing through many villages which may eat away a lot of time as you have to be really patient. If one goes till Nambiyur, then it might be better to join the Sathy-Gobi road and reach Bhavani. However, my concern in these routes are the little too many forks that may confuse first timers.
If it is about time, I still did good taking the 47 till Avinashi and then through Annur. All the other alternatives were good to try, but I could not make it in less than 6.30 hours.
Yes, I believe the best alternative is to go upto Avinashi and then use the Annur road. I even did this once even though I had to go only to Peelamedu because I had twice spent more than 90 minutes just doing Avinashi to Peelamedu. Better to drive around and spend maybe the same or lesser time but atleast drive peacefully!
Old 20th February 2012, 13:11   #468
BHPian

Need to go to Coimbatore this week (Avinashi Road, Mylampatti) , so guessing this is before entering the city) via Bangalore (BTM). Travelling on this side the first time.

Plan to leave early (4-5 AM) on a weekday. Need to get there as soon as possible, don't care much whether it is scenic or otherwise.

* Which is the easiest, fastest route ?

On google maps, I came up with the following two :

* Outer Ring Rd, Bangalore, Karnataka, India to Park Plaza - Google Maps
* Outer Ring Rd, Bangalore, Karnataka, India to Park Plaza - Google Maps

Which ones of these (or any other) should I take ?

I see a lot of routes, discussion etc, wanted to confirm which is the best to take at this time.

Thanks !
Old 20th February 2012, 19:53   #469
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you are not familiar or dont know the language, just stick to route 1. Its NH all the way with proper signboards and 4 lane divided roads except for the last 50 kms where 4-laning is going on.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 12:53   #470
Senior - BHPian

I was in Coimbatore yesterday.
The road conditions from Chengapalli-Avinashi is better half of the stretch is with a wide road rest with diversions but manageable.
Avinashi-Coimbatore via Annur is in good condition.The traffic from Annur-Coimbatore is pretty high.
While coming back from Coimbatore yesterday evening the traffic was like city traffic
from Salem to Banglore. Krishnagiri toll gate took out almost 20mins of my travel.
Old 8th March 2012, 08:26   #471
Senior - BHPian

I came back on the 4th march from Coimbatore, took the Annur/Bannari/Charamarajnagar route to Bangalore. It took me 3 hours to reach Bannari itself. I think i left home at a wrong time - 11.30 AM. Traffic untill Annur was very heavy. There were bottlenecks to cross Annur/Sathy, with lots of obstacles being placed on the road by the Police. This was a rare occassion that i took more than 6 hours to do this drive.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:57   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
This was a rare occassion that i took more than 6 hours to do this drive.
Exactly how long did it take from CBE to BLR via this route?

At daytime, it is 2 wheelers and at night, it is the trucks that hamper the average speeds. Nevertheless, i prefer this route at night travel.
Old 5th April 2012, 08:58   #473

Another one bites the dust ....

Article Window (Kanakapura Road to become 4-lane route - Bangalore Mirror - 04 April 2012)
Old 21st April 2012, 19:59   #474
Senior - BHPian

I am going to Coimbatore tomorrow. Sai Baba colony to be exact.

How is the Mettur - Sathyamangalam route? Or should I stick to the Salem - Avinashi road?
Old 21st April 2012, 20:15   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I am going to Coimbatore tomorrow. Sai Baba colony to be exact.

How is the Mettur - Sathyamangalam route? Or should I stick to the Salem - Avinashi road?
I'd suggest taking NH209 instead. You should be in Saibaba colony in about 5 hours from the NICE road/Kanakapura road junction. (I suppose you can get to Saibaba colony without touching the city by taking a right turn at Ganapathy). The route is Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Dimbum-Bannari-Sathy-Annur-CBE.

And an added bonus is that there are no tolls to pay (except the one you'd need to pay for NICE road to get to Kanakapura road depending on where in Bangalore you're starting from - For me that amounts to zero since I stay close to Kanakapura road)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 20:34   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I'd suggest taking NH209 instead. You should be in Saibaba colony in about 5 hours from the NICE road/Kanakapura road junction. (I suppose you can get to Saibaba colony without touching the city by taking a right turn at Ganapathy). The route is Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajnagar-Dimbum-Bannari-Sathy-Annur-CBE.
But how is the condition of this road now? And will there be too much traffic during the day? I am planning to start from Bannerghatta Road at 8ish tomorrow morning.

No toll is indeed a bonus. But I am afraid the post by jkrishnakj on NH209 is not reading too well.

Any idea how is the stretch from Bhavani to Sathy?
Old 21st April 2012, 21:24   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
But how is the condition of this road now? And will there be too much traffic during the day? I am planning to start from Bannerghatta Road at 8ish tomorrow morning.

No toll is indeed a bonus. But I am afraid the post by jkrishnakj on NH209 is not reading too well.

Any idea how is the stretch from Bhavani to Sathy?
The road condition is excellent with only about 2-3 kms just before Kollegal a little bit rough (not really potholed - but fit for only 40-50 kmph) and then the 3 or 4 narrow stretches through villages between Kollegal and Chamarajnagar. That shouldn't set you back by more than say 5 minutes of extra time.

Traffic between Annur and Coimbatore - well that's an indeterminate one. I always deviate from NH209 at either Annur or Kurumbapalayam and haven't faced too much of traffic till there. From Kurumbapalayam to CBE is about 15 kms, so traffic in that stretch is something that you'd have to risk. (But then if you're thinking of taking the Mettur-Sathyamanagalam route, you'd have to traverse this Annur-CBE stretch anyway)

P.S : Never done the Bhavani-Sathy stretch, so can't comment on that..

Last edited by kala : 21st April 2012 at 21:26.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 22:24   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The road condition is excellent with only about 2-3 kms just before Kollegal a little bit rough (not really potholed - but fit for only 40-50 kmph) and then the 3 or 4 narrow stretches through villages between Kollegal and Chamarajnagar. That shouldn't set you back by more than say 5 minutes of extra time.
If heavy traffic starts only from Annur, I guess its not going to be an issue. The condition of the road is main deciding factor.

We will try this route tomorrow.
Old 21st April 2012, 23:30   #479
Senior - BHPian

Only last sunday evening, i returned by this route.

*Kanakapura-Malavalli is an amazing stretch. You can test your vehicle's capabilities.

*Just before Malavalli(while proceeding from Kanakapura) there is a bridge diversion. Have the speeds in check.

*There's a speed breaker after this bridge.

*A very narrow, long bridge(Cauvery) before Kollegal will greet you with a rough speed breaker at either end.

*3 times the roads gets too narrow-only a car can pass. This is at villages.

*Speeds around 80 and 100 max is the best. This is because one can be caught by sudden twists/sharp turns.

*Ghat discipline is amazing. If you see a loaded truck climbing up the Dhimbam ghats, kindly stop well ahead to let it pass.

*Ooty bound traffic from TN really crowding Annur. This is especially during rush time hours(evenings).

Overall, if one is not in a time constraint, NH 209 is the best. Choose the NH7 if it is otherwise.

Last edited by ramzsys : 21st April 2012 at 23:32.
Old 22nd April 2012, 21:00   #480
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from a personal visit to Gundlupet. As usual te route followed was Kanakapura - Malavalli - Kollegala - Chamarajanagar - Gundlupet.

Road condition is already given by Kala above. Driving time from Bangalore (Kanakapura Road junction on NICE road) to Chamarajnagar - 2.30 Hrs - non stop.

Started at 9 AM on Saturday and reached Chamarajanagar at 11.30 AM and while returning left Chamarajanagar at 12 Noon today and was back at 2.30 PM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks