Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 17:48   #346
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
You missed the one near krishnagiri
apart from that, even I havent noticed any outside Karnataka.
Oh-Yes! I guess that can taken in as its close to Bangalore and hence they wanted to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^

Here we go
Kamat Yatrinivas
I dont see the NH47 one, as Ranjit was mentioning.
Old 9th May 2011, 19:45   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont see the NH47 one, as Ranjit was mentioning.
Sorry guys,its not a Kamat,its an Aryas and its functional finally.I cant remember the place,but its between Salem & Avinashi and its a huge complex.

Aryas has captured almost all the highways in Kerala by now.Theres a new one coming up between Thrissur & Guruvayur as well.This one would be situated Puzhakal,onto your right just before Sobha City.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:19   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

Had to go to Palakkad this weekend so used the NH-7 and NH-47 route and it was pretty much doable. I was on this 'widening stretch' on Thursday around 4pm-ish, the traffic was not much, and it was not that difficult at all, just like any other road widening route. Of course, if it were raining or night time I would not recommend - even though there are no ground-clearance issues - you never know during rains. Also since I knew this stretch is bad, I was kind of prepared for a lousy ride. It was better than lousy.

On return I took Palakkad - Bandipur - Mysore - Bangalore route and my family felt we should have taken the Palakkad - Coimbatore - Banglaore route for return journey as well. Coimbatore route is much more comfortable barring the 60KM stretch which is manageable during day time. There are some million speed breakers on the Palakkad - Bandipur - Mysore - Bangalore stretch which scraped my car's bottom and I had zero instances of bottoming out on NH7-NH47 stretch. Hated the Mysore route in comparison.

I am not sure of NH209 route, though.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 21:00   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
There are some million speed breakers on the Palakkad - Bandipur - Mysore - Bangalore stretch which scraped my car's bottom and I had zero instances of bottoming out on NH7-NH47 stretch. Hated the Mysore route in comparison.

I am not sure of NH209 route, though.
I didn't see any roadhump / breaker on NH209 in my last visit.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 04:53   #350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Sorry guys,its not a Kamat,its an Aryas and its functional finally.I cant remember the place,but its between Salem & Avinashi and its a huge complex.

Aryas has captured almost all the highways in Kerala by now.Theres a new one coming up between Thrissur & Guruvayur as well.This one would be situated Puzhakal,onto your right just before Sobha City.
Even I noticed it. After you mentioned about Annalakshmi at Perundurai, I saw an Aryas very close, just before AnnaLakshmi.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:04   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Even I noticed it. After you mentioned about Annalakshmi at Perundurai, I saw an Aryas very close, just before AnnaLakshmi.
Yes correct,Annalakshmi is onto your left towards CBE,while Aryas is on the right,I am not sure if there is a break in the median to get onto the other side of the road to go to Aryas.I did not take note of that.
Old 11th May 2011, 11:26   #352

Thanks Rameshnanda! I haven't tried that route in a single stretch yet, though I have travelled several times to Tiruppur from Palakkad and then from there to Bangalore. Once on my way back from Tiruppur, I went to Palladam, and I lost my way between a Coimbatore - Palakkad drive! I took a left somewhere where it read "Cochin Frontier" and I thought its the Palakkad - Thrissur - Cochin route. This however took me to the Pollachi Palakkad route. Roads were okay, some bad patches were being repaired. Apparently Cochin Frontier is some place along the Coimbatore Palakkad border and not the real Cochin! I turned back after an idle ride of some 20 km.
Old 14th May 2011, 06:08   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Went to Coimbatore for a quick trip to attend a marriage. On 30th evening 3pm started from Bangalore and it was raining almost all the way till Avinashi. The Avinashi stretch was horrible due to the added roadwork+heavy traffic+water logging at potholes. I took almost 7hrs including the 1hr break in between. The toll was too high ~280/ one way...!!!

Decided to retun on next day 11am from Coimbatore via toll free road..!!!!

Took CBE - SAtyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore route. Travelling hours reduced to ~5hrs without any Toll. Total KMs were only 318.

This is a single lane road with very good surface except at very few places. Who ever taking this route, please remember to take the correct turns at Kollegal and Malavalli. The 27 hairpins after Satyamangalam doesn't require much of efforts.

Also please note that Hotels are very less in this route.

Thanks
Rajesh
I also took this route as per advice from RajeshK for my trip to Thrissur. Very good single lane road without any humps. On the ghat section, bad luck, three JCBs were trying to lift a milk tanker that had fallen deep down. I strongly recommend to use this road if you are traveling to CBE. I didn't like the CBE -- Thrissur stretch via Palghat.
Regards,
Sarin

On lighter side. On NH 209, the village limit is indicated by proper sign board "Village Limit". But, on NH 212, you will realize the village limit only when you hit a hump :-)
Regards,
Sarin

Last edited by Vid6639 : 20th May 2011 at 11:15. Reason: merged posts. Please use the edit option when posting within 30mins.
Old 15th May 2011, 19:39   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes correct,Annalakshmi is onto your left towards CBE,while Aryas is on the right,I am not sure if there is a break in the median to get onto the other side of the road to go to Aryas.I did not take note of that.
Yes. There is a break in the median. Its about 50 metres before 'Aaryaas'. Take a right at that point, and enter the service road. I had stopped at this place during my drive from Bangalore to Thrissur in January 2011, and stopped there again today morning.

Did a Kodungallur (Thrissur) - Bangalore - Kodungallur trip over the past week. Started from Kodungallur at morning on 9th May. We Started around 4.30 and were in Bangalore (Kodichikkanahalli, off Hosur Road near Bommanahalli) by around 12.30. Returned today morning - Started off at 5.15am. We stopped for Breakfast at Hotel Aaryaas, Perundurai (Stopped at 8.15, and started off at 9.00 - the hotel was too crowded, and the service was pathetically slow). We were in Kodungallur by 1.30pm (including a 30 minute break for picking up milk and other commodities, plus a few leak breaks in between).

Took the NH47-NH7 combo all the way. The Mannuthy-Vadakkenchery stretch is awful (road works are in progress for 4-laning) here.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:14   #355
BHPian

Went to Pollachi from Bangalore last week. Took the Hosur- Krishnagiri - Salem - Vijayamangalam NH and then took the deviation from Vijayamangalam- Uthukuli - Tirupur - Palladam - Pollachi. The road is good except a few patches between Uthukuli and Tirupur.

Then went to Thrissur from Pollachi on the Meenkarai road connecting Thrisur via Kollengode. This road is newly laid and is good.

My return trip from Coimbatore was horrible. Started at Coimbatore at 5AM and took the Annur-Puliampatty-Sathy-Dhimbam route. The worst decision I made was that i took a right turn after Dhimbam which said "KOLLEGAL 78 kMs". To my bad luck, it is a forest road and i had to cross 3 check posts. The road till the first checkpost within the TN region was just ok and very narrow and with no vehicle traffice at all.

The forest dept. official told me that the road at the Karnataka part leading to Kollegal is pathetic. I should have taken his word and should have returned to Dhimbam. Unfortunately, i took the road ahead. Almost for 40 KMs there is NO ROAD AT ALL. The way only had huge pot holes and stones all the way. i wasted almost 2 hours to reach Kollegal.

I should have taken the Dhimbam NH209 via Chamrajnagar and reached Kollegal.

All is saved was some 20 odd Kms and drove in one of the pathetic roads one could ever travel. All: Pls avoid this route for heaven sake.

Finally reached Blore from Kollegal via NH209.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:55   #356
Team-BHP Support

Are you referring about the Hassanur-Kollegal road?
I had heard about it some time back, but never had a update.

But you must have passed through some of the most beautiful forest ranges though!
Do you have snaps of this place?
Old 16th May 2011, 19:25   #357
BHPian

The road was so scenic, but just imagine driving thro a "way" or a piece of "stretch" for 35 Kms with no road on my one moth old City...it is very painful. Dindn't take any snaps as I was in no mood...
Old 16th May 2011, 19:32   #358
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am visiting Coimbatore on May 19th. I am planning to take the Bangalore-Kanakapura-malavalli-kollegal-chamrajnagar-Sathy-CBE route. Can anybody guide be the exact deviations i need to take at malavalli-kollegal-chamrajnagar-Sathy to reach CBE.

Just want to take sure i do not take the wrong deviations and end up driving along bad roads. I know there are not many good restaurants along this route but any suggestions for decent restaurants is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward for your replies guys.
Old 17th May 2011, 09:13   #359
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
I am visiting Coimbatore on May 19th. I am planning to take the Bangalore-Kanakapura-malavalli-kollegal-chamrajnagar-Sathy-CBE route. Can anybody guide be the exact deviations i need to take at malavalli-kollegal-chamrajnagar-Sathy to reach CBE.
There are adequate signages all along the route. Just stick on to NH 209. In my case, my MapMyIndia Lx130 navigator guided me.
Quote:
I know there are not many good restaurants along this route but any suggestions for decent restaurants is greatly appreciated.
I left my home at 3 am and reached Hotel Annapoorna, Ramakrishna Hospital, Coimbatore, by 9:30 am for breakfast including a 10-minute break at Dhimbum ghat for photography and a half-hour break at Bannari Mariamman temple for darshan.

Old 18th May 2011, 23:53   #360

An update from my side on the Coimbatore-Bangalore route, which I did last weekend. I drove via Coimbatore-Salem-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore. The first 30 km from Coimbatore, towards Salem (NH47) is punishing. Four-laning work is in progress, and there are diversions every 300 meters. It frustrated me no end.

However, once those initial few km are done, NH47 is a dream all the way till Salem (NH7 junction). The road is unbelievably well made, and is better than the NH7 GQ in every way.

NH7 from Salem to Bangalore via Hosur is good as always, with a few minor glitches like stretches without bushes/dividers on the median (which makes night driving a pain, with all the trucks and their high beams), the occasional bunch of trucks and lorries racing at speeds of 25-30 km/hr leaving no space to overtake, etc.

As of today, Coimbatore to Salem will not take more than 3 hours, and Salem to Bangalore (Electronics City) will take another 3.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks