Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 10:53   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

I have to reach Residency Hotel in Coimbatore from Bangalore. I am assuming that the road widening work is completed till Chengapalli and it is a mess after Chengapalli. Can anyone confirm?

How long will it take to cover the distance of 56-60KM from Chengapalli to the Residency Hotel by car?

Is it work considering the alternate route: Chengapalli - Avinashi - Annur - Hotel?

Thanks.

Last edited by androdev : 27th April 2011 at 11:13.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:07   #332
BANNED

Hi,
Road from Chengapalli to Coimbatore is a mess and a real nightmare. @ 60Kms may take 2 to 2.5 Hrs depending upon the bus traffic.Ideal time to drive this strech is between 1 am to 5am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have to reach Residency Hotel in Coimbatore from Bangalore. I am assuming that the road widening work is completed till Chengapalli and it is a mess after Chengapalli. Can anyone confirm?

How long will it take to cover the distance of 56-60KM from Chengapalli to the Residency Hotel by car?

Is it work considering the alternate route: Chengapalli - Avinashi - Hotel?

Thanks.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:17   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
Road from Chengapalli to Coimbatore is a mess and a real nightmare. @ 60Kms may take 2 to 2.5 Hrs depending upon the bus traffic.Ideal time to drive this strech is between 1 am to 5am.
2.5hrs That is a deal breaker!! I will be on this stretch between 3pm-6pm on 05-May if I decide to drive down.

How about Chengapalli - Avinashi - Annur - Hotel? How long will this take? Decent roads?
Old 27th April 2011, 11:57   #334
BANNED

Its not worth to take that deviation thru Annur.Chengapalli to Avinashi is 33% of the night mare and then to Annur then coimbatore will take you again another 1.5 to 2 hrs.I suggest you take balance 66% of the night mare and drive down straight to coimbatore.Please dont mess with local busses with head lights on ....
Quote:
2.5hrs That is a deal breaker!! I will be on this stretch between 3pm-6pm on 05-May if I decide to drive down.

How about Chengapalli - Avinashi - Annur - Hotel? How long will this take? Decent roads?
Old 27th April 2011, 13:15   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,
The ideal time to do this stretch is between 1am to 4am. Last Wednesday it took me only 1.5 hrs (soft driving) from Perundurai toll to L&T toll and the traffic was very less.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:14   #336
Senior - BHPian

There was a Kamat that was in the process of opening a huge restaurant complex on nh47 between Avinashi and Salem.this would come to your left hand side towards salem.Does anyone have any update if this place has been opened and is functioning now?
Old 28th April 2011, 14:03   #337
Senior - BHPian

Did not see any Kamat Hotel during my drive to CBE and back (14-16 Apr). Was searching for a decent option during my drive back. Finally stopped @ McD near Krishnagiri.
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:06   #338
BHPian

Went to Coimbatore for a quick trip to attend a marriage. On 30th evening 3pm started from Bangalore and it was raining almost all the way till Avinashi. The Avinashi stretch was horrible due to the added roadwork+heavy traffic+water logging at potholes. I took almost 7hrs including the 1hr break in between. The toll was too high ~280/ one way...!!!

Decided to retun on next day 11am from Coimbatore via toll free road..!!!!

Took CBE - SAtyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore route. Travelling hours reduced to ~5hrs without any Toll. Total KMs were only 318.

This is a single lane road with very good surface except at very few places. Who ever taking this route, please remember to take the correct turns at Kollegal and Malavalli. The 27 hairpins after Satyamangalam doesn't require much of efforts.

Also please note that Hotels are very less in this route.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:14   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Went to Coimbatore for a quick trip to attend a marriage. On 30th evening 3pm started from Bangalore and it was raining almost all the way till Avinashi. The Avinashi stretch was horrible due to the added roadwork+heavy traffic+water logging at potholes. I took almost 7hrs including the 1hr break in between. The toll was too high ~280/ one way...!!!

Decided to retun on next day 11am from Coimbatore via toll free road..!!!!

Took CBE - SAtyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Malavalli - Kanakpura - Bangalore route. Travelling hours reduced to ~5hrs without any Toll. Total KMs were only 318.

This is a single lane road with very good surface except at very few places. Who ever taking this route, please remember to take the correct turns at Kollegal and Malavalli. The 27 hairpins after Satyamangalam doesn't require much of efforts.

Thanks Rajesh! I was unable to decide between these two options and your post simplified it!

Quote:

Also please note that Hotels are very less in this route.

Thanks
Rajesh
Not much choice I am sure, any recommendation for a place with clean rest rooms?
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:29   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajesh! I was unable to decide between these two options and your post simplified it!

Not much choice I am sure, any recommendation for a place with clean rest rooms?
I couldn't find any thing on the way, more over being May day, all the hotels with better buildings were closed. For rest rooms, only option will be at Petrol Pumps.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 13:30   #341

First Post in TBHP!!

Hi folks, I have been driving from Bangalore to Palakkad once every two or three weeks for over an year now. NH7 and NH47 is my preferred route owing to 4 lane and lots of good restaurants. Once I experimented the Mysore - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Palakkad route. Nilambur to Pandikkad road (whichever route that was recommended by the locals) was in shambles and they were repairing the patches for almost 30 kilometers. Mysore to Nanjangud NH was as if someone tears your heart apart. Otherwise it was a nice scenic route to try once. This was some 4 months ago. Not sure if these dreadful patches are built well now.

Never tried the Kanakpura - Malavalli - Chamarajnagar - Sathyamangalam - CBE route. I have travelled in buses a while back. Thanks for all the updates, looks like its a good single lane road all the way. Will try to do that stretch next time I go to Palakkad.

Road Condition update as on 8 May from Avinashi to Walayar border: 4 / 6 Laning still going on, pain to drive during day time, car suspension will abuse you back if it could. Now they are doing road widening and perhaps 4 laning from the end of LandT road till Walayar border. Hence, that stretch is also full of diversions, mud and metal.
Old 9th May 2011, 14:49   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shefeeqyr View Post
First Post in TBHP!!

Hi folks, I have been driving from Bangalore to Palakkad once every two or three weeks for over an year now. NH7 and NH47 is my preferred route owing to 4 lane and lots of good restaurants. Once I experimented the Mysore - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna - Palakkad route. Nilambur to Pandikkad road (whichever route that was recommended by the locals) was in shambles and they were repairing the patches for almost 30 kilometers. Mysore to Nanjangud NH was as if someone tears your heart apart. Otherwise it was a nice scenic route to try once. This was some 4 months ago. Not sure if these dreadful patches are built well now.

Never tried the Kanakpura - Malavalli - Chamarajnagar - Sathyamangalam - CBE route. I have travelled in buses a while back. Thanks for all the updates, looks like its a good single lane road all the way. Will try to do that stretch next time I go to Palakkad.

Road Condition update as on 8 May from Avinashi to Walayar border: 4 / 6 Laning still going on, pain to drive during day time, car suspension will abuse you back if it could. Now they are doing road widening and perhaps 4 laning from the end of LandT road till Walayar border. Hence, that stretch is also full of diversions, mud and metal.
shefeeq, Welcome to T-BHP.

Did you ever try Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Pollachi-Palakkad?
Old 9th May 2011, 15:32   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
There was a Kamat that was in the process of opening a huge restaurant complex on nh47 between Avinashi and Salem.this would come to your left hand side towards salem.Does anyone have any update if this place has been opened and is functioning now?
Ranjit, this is surprising, that Kamat is planning this one in TN. Typically I have not seen them outside Karnataka. (Am I missing something here?)
Old 9th May 2011, 16:28   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ranjit, this is surprising, that Kamat is planning this one in TN. Typically I have not seen them outside Karnataka. (Am I missing something here?)
You missed the one near krishnagiri
apart from that, even I havent noticed any outside Karnataka.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:46   #345
Senior - BHPian

^^

Here we go
Kamat Yatrinivas

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks