Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 19:41   #571
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore round trip - Update

Friends,

Planning for a return trip from CBE to BLR this sunday night.

Need your suggetion on route in terms of road conditions & night traffic?
CBE - Sathy - Mettur - Dharmapuri - B'lore : 351 KMs
CBE - Tiruppur - Mettur - Dharmapuri - B'lore : 347 KMs (heard road works are in progress @ CBE-Avinashi stretch)

or any other route can be taken except NH209 (via chamraj nagar). Avoiding NH209 for the lack of food/break options & a drive thru Thimbam ghats in night.
Old 20th February 2013, 20:36   #572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Need your suggetion on route in terms of road conditions & night traffic?
CBE - Sathy - Mettur - Dharmapuri - B'lore : 351 KMs
CBE - Tiruppur - Mettur - Dharmapuri - B'lore : 347 KMs (heard road works are in progress @ CBE-Avinashi stretch)

or any other route can be taken except NH209 (via chamraj nagar). Avoiding NH209 for the lack of food/break options & a drive thru Thimbam ghats in night.
I would say stick to 4-lane as much as possible. How about Annur-Avinashi-4-lane?
Old 20th February 2013, 21:16   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would say stick to 4-lane as much as possible. How about Annur-Avinashi-4-lane?
I dont know this route yet.
Is it CBE - Annur - Avinashi - Tiruppur - Salem - BLR? If yes, how are the route conditions from Avinashi-Tiruppur-Salem.

Last few pages of this thread mostly talks about NH209 which seems to be clearly favoured among BHPians
Old 20th February 2013, 21:19   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it CBE - Annur - Avinashi - Tiruppur - Salem - BLR? If yes, how are the route conditions from Avinashi-Tiruppur-Salem.

Last few pages of this thread mostly talks about NH209 which seems to be clearly favoured among BHPians
Once at Avinashi, then why Tiruppur? You should be on 4-lane directly.

Route Link
Old 20th February 2013, 21:20   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

NH209 is a windy twisty road with reasonably good tarmac that has some good s curves and u turns. In light traffic, it is a road that has a lot of potential for some entertaining driving, as opposed to a 4 lane road. So you can imagine why it is highly favored.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:22   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Planning for a return trip from CBE to BLR this sunday night.

As Ampere says Annur-Avinashi will be your best bet. Depending on where you start from CBE, you could either take Sathy road or Kalapatti road(if you are near Peelamedu area) to head to Annur. Then turn-off to Avinashi. Here is the route link for reference: http://goo.gl/maps/Q7UTu
Old 20th February 2013, 21:29   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
NH209 is a windy twisty road with reasonably good tarmac that has some good s curves and u turns. In light traffic, it is a road that has a lot of potential for some entertaining driving, as opposed to a 4 lane road. So you can imagine why it is highly favored.
I havent been to CBE-BLR yet but I can imagine the thrill driving on this stretch and would love to plan a trip just to experience this road.

But now, I have to suggest a route to my friend and is a night drive. So, no NH209 this time

Quote:
Once at Avinashi, then why Tiruppur? You should be on 4-lane directly.

Route Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
As Ampere says Annur-Avinashi will be your best bet. Depending on where you start from CBE, you could either take Sathy road or Kalapatti road(if you are near Peelamedu area) to head to Annur. Then turn-off to Avinashi. Here is the route link for reference: http://goo.gl/maps/Q7UTu
Thanks Ampere & LuvUrRide. I've got the route now.
(I just searched for CBE-Annur-Avinashi-BLR in GMaps and when zoomed out it seemed to me passing along Tiruppur )

So, CBE-Annur-Avinashi-Salem-BLR it is. Once again, thanks everyone.
Old 20th February 2013, 21:53   #578
Senior - BHPian

I would second what Ampere says.

In the past 5 trips on the NH209, thrice i got stuck at the ghats. Invariably, huge trailers / trucks get stuck at one of those hair pin bends and that leads to a standstill. Twice, the jam got cleared within 15 minutes, but the last time around, from CBE-BLR, at 2.00 PM, i got stuck at the 11th Hairpin and it took 2 hours to clear. So, avoiding this at night is a wise thing to do.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:01   #579
Senior - BHPian

I took the NH209 yesterday(17:45 at electronic city Nice road entry, 23:45 Hope's signal, through Airport road, non-stop drive), and i did find it a bit stressed. Bangalore to Kanakapura had moderate traffic, and road was free after that. Dhimbam section was easy.

Still, this being a highway running through agrarian hinterland, there were bicycle riders, even people walking occupying almost 1.5 metre of the left side of the road, and grains spread on road for dehusking.

Just after Kanakapura where the centre median ends, a biker overtook me and spitted on the driver side window with such a force that i felt the air pressure(i usually keep my window open in NH209 drives) and sped away. I was always apprehensive about using a TN registered car through NH209, but haven't experienced anything untoward in all this one year , but this incident did leave me upset throughout the journey.

Just after the curvy section after Kanakapura was done and when the road gets straight, i was doing about 70 kmph, i had to do a sudden braking as a woman just decided to cross the road. It was a near miss.

I am sure i did not drive rash, i don't cut any 2 wheelers, i don't honk often. I usually drive very smoothly, atleast in NH209 with speeds 75-80 kmph most of the time and 90-100 kmph in certain sections from Malavalli to Cauvery river bridge.

I gave lift to a Policeman from Yellandur to CH Nagara, and he was very worried about the water situation, as when water level goes another few feet down, there wont be water to supply to even Mysore and Bangalore and the agricultural situation is distressing. He asked me, "Tamil Nadu is asking give water, give water. From where will we give water when even we don't have water?". It did embarrass me.

I did not see any elephants this time, but i did see 2 spotted deers, the 2nd deer was crossing the road and i had to brake hard to avoid hitting it.

I have planned to return via this route(on sunday), as i have i have always appreciated NH209 for it's total traffic free nature as well as smooth tarmac, but to start at CBE so as to reach CH Nagara by 9 PM or later so that all the following towns will be empty.

To conclude, i would just say, if you love a Ford, you would love NH209 too.

A QUERY: Have anyone traveled in the Attibelle-Rayakottai road? It joins the Hosur-Rayakottai road, and if it is good it may be a good detour to reach Dharmapuri directly.

Last edited by ramzsys : 20th February 2013 at 22:30.
Old 20th February 2013, 22:26   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
ANOTHER QUERY: Have anyone traveled in the Attibelle-Rayakottai road? It joins the Hosur-Rayakottai road, and if it is good it may be a good detour to reach Dharmapuri directly.
Good find. As far as I know, people do use it but I am not sure of the condition. Even I wanted to try it some time to explore local areas.
But more importantly if you dont know the route correctly, its easy to get lost. Because it also cuts through Denkanikottai main SH.

The other point which would help avoid getting lost, ask anyone for Kelamangalam and from there take the road to Rayakottai.
I would expect narrow roads but decent conditions in this region.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 20:26   #581

Hi All,

This being my first post and I wanted to share my recent return drive experience to CBE. I did BLR-CBE on the 20th of February and returned on the 23rd of February.

Having always taken the BLR-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Sathy-Annur-CBE route, I decided to take the 4 lane BLR-Salem-Avinashi-CBE highway for a change. I must say that I was quite impressed with the roadwork and I'm sure once the Avinashi-CBE 6 lane section is complete it will be a fly by to CBE from BLR. Started from HBR Layout at 5.15 am and reached A2B-Thoppur at 7.30 am. After a 45 min breakfast break I continued on towards Salem instead of taking the turn to Mettur at Thoppur. Being a weekday there was quite a bit of local traffic between Omalur and Salem and got stuck in the first four road signal junction at Salem for a good 5-10mins. Then took the flyover to CBE and was at CBE Airport signal at by 11.15 and reached TVS Nagar on Thadagam-Anaikatti road at 11.45 am. It was a breeze till Avinashi bypass and the last leg was a bit slow, due to the ongoing road works. Traffic was probably lesser than usual maybe because of bandh day. Total distance covered was 374 kms from Home to my cousin's place at TVS Nagar,CBE. Travelling time of 6.45 hours inclusive of a breakfast break. Toll amount paid was Rs.351

On the return leg, I decided to take the usual Sathy-Mettur road as there is a shortcut from TVS Nagar to Sarvanampatti which bypasses the traffic at CBE city and I can avoid Gandhipuram and Ganapathy. Left my cousin's place at 6.30 am and was at Hotel Ramvilas in Sathyamangalam at 7.40 am. Left Sathy at 8.40 am after a leisurely breakfast and purchasing of some famous bananas and other items. On hitting the the junction which says Anthiyur straight there is a petrol bunk and some bridge work going on and hence you have to turn towards Bhavani road and immediately take a left ahead at the temporary bumpy mud road to join the Anthiyur-Mettur road after the bridge. Once back on the highway, the drive was the usual bliss through fields and trees and sparse traffic.Tarring at certain places is happening on the drive to Anthiyur on either of the lanes, so with minimal traffic was able to pick the lane which was tarred. But this alternation is for about less than 2-3kms. Crossed Anthiyur, then reached Ammapettai, took the left towards Mettur and as mentioned int he previous post a small stretch of less than 5kms between Ammapettai-Nerujipettai-Mettur is a little rough,bumpy and slows you down to 60-70kmph.However, tarring work is in progress and I'm sure it will completed soon.On reaching Mettur, took the turn on the first bridge through the Thermal station bypassing Mettur town and also saw that the Cauvery river was full.
Little traffic on taking the right towards Mecheri near Stanley reservoir bridge and reached Mecheri where we stopped for 15mins to buy fresh vegetables in the market. Started from Mecheri and was a breeze to Thoppur and then to toll gate near A2B. Stopped for a bio break at A2B for 5mins and time was 10.50am when I started back to BLR. Reached E-city elevated flyover at 1 pm and was at home at 1.50pm. Travelling time of 7.20 hours with break time of 1.20mins in total. Toll paid amounting to Rs 194.

So, actual travel time both ways was 6 hours in my WagonR Lxi Duo 2008 model. Personally, I prefer Mettur-Sathy route as I can skip Avinashi-CBE traffic and CBE city traffic and directly reach TVS Nagar from Saravanampatti. Also, this stretch has minimal traffic from Ammapettai to Sathy and is a pleasant drive.

Having read through the Team-BHP routes over the last 4 years, I thank all the members for sharing the route updates on a timely basis which has helped me cover various destinations and I hope to contribute in the same way.

Note: If anybody wants info of route from Sarvanampatti to Mettupalaym road or towards Edayarpalayam and Vadavalli by skipping the city traffic through Ganapathy and Gandhipuram please ping me and I'll guide you.
Also, I recommend Hotel Ramvilas at Sathy for the wonderful food and service. The taste is really awesome and cost wise is cheaper and better compared to A2B. It's located right opposite Sathy police station when you cross the Bhavani river bridge and hit the T-Junction which says Bannari, Kollegal left and Anthiyur,Mettur right. One has to take the left and the police station is situated to your left within 200ms and this hotel is right opposite to it.
air289 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:12   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by air289 View Post
Also, I recommend Hotel Ramvilas at Sathy for the wonderful food and service. The taste is really awesome and cost wise is cheaper and better compared to A2B. It's located right opposite Sathy police station when you cross the Bhavani river bridge and hit the T-Junction which says Bannari, Kollegal left and Anthiyur,Mettur right. One has to take the left and the police station is situated to your left within 200ms and this hotel is right opposite to it.

I never expected my favourite eating place in Sathy will come in this forum.
Whenever I pass through Sathy I make it a point to stop at this place.
their rava dosa is awesome.
Thanks for sharing the trip details.
gajadonga is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:44   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by air289 View Post
Little traffic on taking the right towards Mecheri near Stanley reservoir bridge and reached Mecheri where we stopped for 15mins to buy fresh vegetables in the market. Started from Mecheri and was a breeze to Thoppur and then to toll gate near A2B. Stopped for a bio break at A2B for 5mins and time was 10.50am when I started back to BLR. Reached E-city elevated flyover at 1 pm and was at home at 1.50pm. Travelling time of 7.20 hours with break time of 1.20mins in total. Toll paid amounting to Rs 194.
You can also try Mecheri-Pennagaram-Dharmapuri. The roads are very good and fun to drive. The SH has fields on either side and is a delight to watch.

Last edited by ampere : 25th February 2013 at 11:11.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 11:10   #584

[quote=ampere;3046688]Good find. As far as I know, people do use it but I am not sure of the condition. Even I wanted to try it some time to explore local areas.

The attibele-rayakottai road is in a good condition, it does join the hosur-rayakottai road which goes all the way to palacode, from there you can join the NH near dharmapuri or can go to pennagaram-mecheri-mettur-CBE did this route recently to CBE and avoided all tolls
Pc_2425 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 11:46   #585
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Pc_2425;3049848]
Quote:

The attibele-rayakottai road is in a good condition, it does join the hosur-rayakottai road which goes all the way to palacode, from there you can join the NH near dharmapuri or can go to pennagaram-mecheri-mettur-CBE did this route recently to CBE and avoided all tolls
Is it possible to avoid the Attibele toll also?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks