Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th November 2019, 16:45   #1036
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Vinoth-I drove back to Bangalore yesterday. Coimbatore - Sathy ( lunch at Ram vilas) - Bannari - Dhimbam - Kermalam ( google has it as Germalam) - Kollegal - Kanakpura- home at Bangalore. Took me 6 hours with one lunch break. Excellent roads. Go for it. Beautiful and scenic and pretty roads. Have fun.
I went from Bangalore to Coimbatore via Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar-Dimbham-Bannari-Sathy-Annur on 31st Oct 2019.

Before entering ghats, I did a stopover at Shivanasamudra (Barachukki falls). I met some tourists over there who were coming to KA from Tiruppur. They mentioned that their car took underbody hits in the bad sections around Punjanur. They told me to avoid Dimbham route and suggested taking Germalam route. However, they were unsure about road conditions in the Germalam route (it must have rained badly there too).

During my lunch break at Kollegal, I enquired the restaurant staff as well as some local taxi drivers. Both suggested taking Chamarajanagar-Dimbham route despite the bad sections. They said the condition of Germalam route could not be better than Dimbham route. They also said that the Germalam route is narrow and very desolate even during daytime.

The road conditions between Chamarajanagar and Dimbham were pathetic with deep potholes and mud/slush due to overnight rains. There must have been around 25-30 places were one has to carefully crawl in 1st gear without knowing the depth of the pothole due to water and slush
The roads were super smooth once we enter TN at Hasanur.

Last edited by srvm : 6th November 2019 at 16:46.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 17:01   #1037
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
During my lunch break at Kollegal, I enquired the restaurant staff as well as some local taxi drivers. Both suggested taking Chamarajanagar-Dimbham route despite the bad sections. They said the condition of Germalam route could not be better than Dimbham route. They also said that the Germalam route is narrow and very desolate even during daytime.
This is very true. After some distance past KA border, the route is so desolate, that you may not get any help on this section. Hence I would never recommend this section for folks traveling with family. Even other, caution needs to be exercised. This section is also a very high on elephant corridor.

Quote:
The road conditions between Chamarajanagar and Dimbham were pathetic with deep potholes and mud/slush due to overnight rains. There must have been around 25-30 places were one has to carefully crawl in 1st gear without knowing the depth of the pothole due to water and slush
Really very sad to note! Never expected this highway to go down like this! One of the best of the last remaining 2-lanes!

Taken in 2012

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-img_6406_dpp.jpg
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:10   #1038
BHPian

If anyone has travelled on this route recently then please update this thread. Thank you.
Old 4th May 2020, 10:17   #1039
BHPian

Did anybody travel back to BLR from CBE or anywhere in TN during lockdown. Do we need to get 2 states pass to enter KA. After reaching BLR, do we need to be in home quarantine or a common location quarantine?
Old 5th May 2020, 10:15   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
Did anybody travel back to BLR from CBE or anywhere in TN during lockdown. Do we need to get 2 states pass to enter KA. After reaching BLR, do we need to be in home quarantine or a common location quarantine?
I haven't travelled yet, but the procedure is to get the pass from both states.
After reaching 14 day home quarantine is mandatory.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed