Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 23:44   #901
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Need some expert advice. We (Family of 2 adults and 2 kids) are planning a road trip from Begaluru (Kasturba Rd, near Hudson Circle) to Coimbatore on next Saturday. What is the best route to take? Google suggests NH44+NH544. We need to be at Coimbatore latest by 5 PM. What time we should start from BLR? Also, suggestions for any nice place for lunch/refreshment on the way?
Old 28th May 2017, 23:49   #902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
Need some expert advice. We (Family of 2 adults and 2 kids) are planning a road trip from Begaluru (Kasturba Rd, near Hudson Circle) to Coimbatore on next Saturday. What is the best route to take? Google suggests NH44+NH544. We need to be at Coimbatore latest by 5 PM. What time we should start from BLR? Also, suggestions for any nice place for lunch/refreshment on the way?
Its max 5-6 hours of journey. A 5AM start would take you to Coimbattore by 11 or so. The 4-lane is the best possible option. During long weekends please no amount of early start is early enough. Toll booths usually get choked.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 23:54   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its max 5-6 hours of journey. A 5AM start would take you to Coimbattore by 11 or so. The 4-lane is the best possible option. During long weekends please no amount of early start is early enough. Toll booths usually get choked.

Thanks ampere. I am assuming you are referring to NH44+NH544 here. good to know that it is doable in 6 hours and I think the next one is not a long weekend so we should be good. I read about choking at Toll booths but seems there is no way out (I dont have a fastag if that would have helped).
Old 29th May 2017, 00:27   #904
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere. I am assuming you are referring to NH44+NH544 here. good to know that it is doable in 6 hours and I think the next one is not a long weekend so we should be good. I read about choking at Toll booths but seems there is no way out (I dont have a fastag if that would have helped).
I think should be OK. Usually its the long weekends when its real bad! Other wise its quite manageable with the regular crowd.

Bangalore-Salem : 2.5 hours
Salem-Coimbattore is another 2 to 2.5 at best.
Add some time for breaks.

There is construction work on going in Salem. Can add to some delay.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2017 at 00:28.
Old 29th May 2017, 07:50   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, suggestions for any nice place for lunch/refreshment on the way?
You can stop at A2B which comes after crossing Salem. This is 3kms after taking the Coimbatore exit from Salem and comes on the left side itself.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 09:38   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Preferably leave Bangalore by 5 AM to beat the city traffic. Is your destination North or South Coimbatore.
If it is South Coimbatore, then the best route will be via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri and the regular NH 544 to Coimbatore. By this route, you avoid Salem along with 2 toll plazas.
If your destination is North Coimbatore, then the recommended route would via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Mettur, Ammapettai, Sathyamangalam and Annur. I am not suggesting the route via NH209 as it is predominantly 2 lane road with less options to break for food. In the Mettur route, you get to drive on 4 lane roads till the SH20 - NH7 intersection.
Old 29th May 2017, 12:40   #907
BHPian

Quote:
I think should be OK. Usually its the long weekends when its real bad! Other wise its quite manageable with the regular crowd.

Bangalore-Salem : 2.5 hours
Salem-Coimbattore is another 2 to 2.5 at best.
Add some time for breaks.

There is construction work on going in Salem. Can add to some delay.
Awesome! that made me quite comfortable about the whole planning thing. we are actually driving from HYD and stopping in BLR for a night. Knowing my kids, I can't think of leaving BLR earlier than 9 -10 am. Since we need to reach Coimbatore by 5 pm, I was a bit nervous the time (first time doing BLR-CBE) but that's very helpful. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can stop at A2B which comes after crossing Salem. This is 3kms after taking the Coimbatore exit from Salem and comes on the left side itself.
Thanks arun_josie. I am adding that in the plan - It seems it will be almost mid way so that's perfect. I have read your travelogues and knowing your from that, I think that would be perfect place. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Preferably leave Bangalore by 5 AM to beat the city traffic. Is your destination North or South Coimbatore.
If it is South Coimbatore, then the best route will be via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Omalur, Tharamangalam, Sankagiri and the regular NH 544 to Coimbatore. By this route, you avoid Salem along with 2 toll plazas.
If your destination is North Coimbatore, then the recommended route would via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Mettur, Ammapettai, Sathyamangalam and Annur. I am not suggesting the route via NH209 as it is predominantly 2 lane road with less options to break for food. In the Mettur route, you get to drive on 4 lane roads till the SH20 - NH7 intersection.
Thanks suresh_gs. We are not going exactly to Coimbatore but very near .. I think it is south side. Let me check this route. I am very new to that side (BLR-CBE) - do you think we can still take this route without getting lost?

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2017 at 12:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
kanwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 13:00   #908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks suresh_gs. We are not going exactly to Coimbatore but very near .. I think it is south side. Let me check this route. I am very new to that side (BLR-CBE) - do you think we can still take this route without getting lost?
Stick to the 4-lane option. That would be the easiest for you. Let us know the exaction destination. We may then can suggest where exactly you need to exit.
Old 29th May 2017, 14:57   #909
APV
BHPian

Quote:

Sticking to 4 lane(NH44/544/47) should be the safest option. One little challenge would be to pick the left turn at Salem for Coimbatore diversion, though there is a (rather small)sign board which asks you to take left for Coimbatore, people new to this road might miss it.

Watch out for a ford showroom on your right & stick to left most lane, then you would not miss it. This left takes you on the flyover & travel further about 2-3 KMS, you would notice the A2B on your left which Arun_Josie mentions.

Have a safe journey
APV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 16:04   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to the 4-lane option. That would be the easiest for you. Let us know the exaction destination. We may then can suggest where exactly you need to exit.
Okay - will stick to 4 lane then. The exact destination for the day is, Isha Yoga Center - which I have been told is 1-1.5 hrs. drive from Coimbatore. Does that changes anything in terms of route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV View Post
Sticking to 4 lane(NH44/544/47) should be the safest option. One little challenge would be to pick the left turn at Salem for Coimbatore diversion, though there is a (rather small)sign board which asks you to take left for Coimbatore, people new to this road might miss it.

Watch out for a ford showroom on your right & stick to left most lane, then you would not miss it. This left takes you on the flyover & travel further about 2-3 KMS, you would notice the A2B on your left which Arun_Josie mentions.

Have a safe journey
Making a note of this - many thanks APV!! look for the ford showroom and drive to the farthest lane , take flyover and stop at A2B!!

Mod Note: Please Use Multi Quote feature when responding to multiple posts

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2017 at 17:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 29th May 2017, 17:18   #911
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Okay - will stick to 4 lane then. The exact destination for the day is, Isha Yoga Center - which I have been told is 1-1.5 hrs. drive from Coimbatore. Does that changes anything in terms of route ?
I have not heard about the place. But when I look it up on Google, one point which comes to mind: At the expense of 10-12km you can bypass Coimbattore and reach this place.

Check this route out:
Route Link
Old 29th May 2017, 18:53   #912
BHPian

Quote:
I have not heard about the place. But when I look it up on Google, one point which comes to mind: At the expense of 10-12km you can bypass Coimbattore and reach this place.

Check this route out:
Route Link
This route looks interesting - though few kms extra time is less and I looks like we will be able to avoid city traffic as well. I will take this route
Old 29th May 2017, 21:49   #913
BHPian

Quote:

Check this route out:
Route Link
Isha yoga centre is at the downhill of Vellingiri hills and there is no way, one can avoid the traffic of Townhall, Ukkadam, and Perur Road. Depending on the time of the day like around noon, you may see a thin traffic on this road. Bonus: Try visiting Siruvani Falls too which is not too far from the hills!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 23:26   #914
BHPian

Quote:

Just did the Bangalore to Coimbatore this Saturday. Yes it's doable in 6 hours as the roads are just beautiful. Keep an hour for a food break and 7 hours is all you need. We started at 12 pm from Bangalore (Bommanahalli on Hosur Road) and reached 6:30 pm. Sai sangeet near Salem is highly recommended for a break, clean and good food. It is attached to a petrol pump but it's on the other side and you need a u-turn. Easily spotted and google maps helps.

Although we we were traveling to Isha foundation Adiyogi which took another 1:30 hrs from Coimbatore as we hit bad traffic on Avinashi road in the city. But next day on return we took a different route from Isha foundation and bypassed most of the city and hit Avinashi road. (But being Sunday traffic was low).

Happy to share any more details.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:46   #915
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Isha yoga centre is at the downhill of Vellingiri hills and there is no way, one can avoid the traffic of Townhall, Ukkadam, and Perur Road.
Google maps shows the route from inside Kovai Pudur. If that is possible, when going from Bangalore, one can take the L&T Coimbatore bypass till Madhukkarai, turn right onto old Palakkad Road and turn left near Krishna Engineering college/VLB inthstitutions and get into Kovai Pudur. Further inside, we can reach the Sirvuani Main Road which then leads to Isha centre as per the map, isn't this a possibility ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Although we we were traveling to Isha foundation Adiyogi which took another 1:30 hrs from Coimbatore as we hit bad traffic on Avinashi road in the city. But next day on return we took a different route from Isha foundation and bypassed most of the city and hit Avinashi road. (But being Sunday traffic was low).
What was the route you took onwards to reach Isha foundation ? Did you go via Marudhamalai Road (passing via Agricultural university) and Thondamuthur ? I see this route shown in gmaps. Also, what route did you take on the return journey to reach Avinashi Road ?

Last edited by NPV : 30th May 2017 at 09:50.

Most Viewed