Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2018, 10:51   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Few days ago, I was going to Rayakottai from Attibele via Kelamangalam. Roads were wide and smooth for most part except for one 3.5km horrible stretch - this is between TVS Cross (where road forks into two just after Attibele town) to TVS factory in Amritha just after KA-TN border. They are laying road here but as of now only jalli/gravel stones are put. Its bone jarring and 2/4 wheelers can move only max. 20-25 kmph on this stretch. After TVS factory its smooth though (upto Rayakottai).

Not sure if the above stretch comes on your route, but still posting for the benefit of others in the forum.
I think you are referring to the Attibele - TVS Road. This has been always bad as far as my memory goes. The last time I went on this road in Oct 2017, I did see one particular stretch which was neatly relaid. Otherwise rest of the roads was in shambles. Post KA-TN border, roads are good.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 12:11   #947
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any good place for a breakfast stop after Salem with clean washrooms - will be traveling with family.
Quite few available in the Salem - Coimbatore stretch. There is an a2b on the left after you get down the flyover in the Coimbatore exit. There is another a2b on the right side few kms further as well.

Quote:
Q: With a 4.30 am start, do I still need to take the non toll route or can I stick to Hosur - Krishnagiri?
For 4:30 start I would suggest you to stick to Hosur-Krishnagiri. I usually do this time and no issues in the toll queues.
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:46   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AAny good place for a breakfast stop after Salem with clean washrooms - will be traveling with family.
Around 18km after turning off the NH44 onto NH544 towards Coimbatore, you'll see the first decent hotel on the left side, an A2B attached to a KPN fuel station. About 7km further ahead and before the Vaiguntham toll booth is the NHAI wayside amenity complex that houses a Sree Saravana Bhavan. Further ahead, after the toll booth and on the right side is a Saravana Bhavan Classic. The last one is easily accessible through a legal cut in the median.

Quote:
Q: With a 4.30 am start, do I still need to take the non toll route or can I stick to Hosur - Krishnagiri?
The NH route would be the fastest and safest at that time of the day, especially since you mentioned you'd be travelling with family. Budget around 3 hours from E-City bus stop to the turn off towards Coimbatore. YMMV, based on traffic and cruising speeds
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 16:29   #949
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With a 4.30 am Start, I am hoping to be near Thoppur by 7 and hence should hit Salem around 7.30 am. Any good place for a breakfast stop after Salem with clean washrooms - will be traveling with family.

Unless this is a relaxed and slow drive to enjoy scenic route/country side, stick to the NH route via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem.

If you're in Thoppur around 6:30am or later, do not miss the Sai Sangeet on right side. Need to make a U-turn to get here and it is inside an Indian oil bunk (avoid the A2B in the Bharat petroleum bunk nearby). This place is about 500m before Thoppur toll.

If you are in Thoppur very early and Sai Sangeet isn't open, next I'd suggest the A2B inside Bharat petroleum bunk (KPN Plaza) Salem which is under 4 km after the turn off to NH 47/544 from NH 7/44. After this, next option is Sree Saravana Bhavan about 25km away from A2B, just before Vaigundam toll in the NHAI amenity complex.

Edit: just realised you're heading to Kanyakumari, so the vaigundam one is too far out of your route, A2B could still be an option.

Last edited by NPV : 9th January 2018 at 16:36.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 09:07   #950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming that this is doable in 2.5 hrs
With a 4.30 am Start, I am hoping to be near Thoppur by 7 and hence should hit Salem around 7.30 am. Any good place for a breakfast stop after Salem with clean washrooms - will be traveling with family.

As you are driving during a long weekend, if possible it would be better to start 30 minutes earlier at 4:00 AM. Apart from the options mentioned by others, in Salem there is a Aasai Dosai Sri Saravana Bhavan(https://goo.gl/maps/jDvuNVZsUc42), only concern is this comes on right side at a junction. Has good parking space though.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 11:48   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
There is an a2b on the left after you get down the flyover in the Coimbatore exit. There is another a2b on the right side few kms further as well.
Yes, I spotted this last week. Its around 6 Kms from the first A2B towards coimbatore. So, for people coming towards Salem, they can look out for this one which is around 8-10 Kms before Salem ring road.

A2B is really spreading fast on the highways.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-a2bcapture.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 15:03   #952

Hello,

I am driving to Coimbattore next Sunday and contemplating on the route. Plan is to start at 6AM from Bangalore and have to reach Airport area in coimbattore by 1PM.

1. Bangalore - Kanakapura - Kollegal - dhondenling - Hasanur - Puliampatty - Annur - Kurumbapalayam - CBE Airport:

A. What is the current condition of this route?
B. Are there any good breakfast options with clean toilets along this route?
C. Would a 6AM start early enough to reach the destination by 1PM?
D. Anything else I have to be aware of, as I am driving on this route for the first time.

2. Bangalore - Hosur - Salem - Bhavani - Avinashi

A. For 6AM start, what is a good place for breakfast? (thoppur)
B. Should I take Salem - Bhavani or Thoppur - Metur - Bhavani route?

Please suggest a good lunch place around Airport area in CBE.
Old 10th February 2018, 17:58   #953
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavan View Post
I am driving to Coimbattore next Sunday and contemplating on the route. Plan is to start at 6AM from Bangalore and have to reach Airport area in coimbattore by 1PM.
If you have a target time to reach Coimbatore, the best option would be to stick to the National Highway tolled route, all others are unpredictable.

Just stick to Bangalore-Hosur-Salem (NH 7 till here)-Turn off to NH 47-Bhavani-Perundurai-Avinashi-Coimbatore. Here, you need to take the ramp on the left which will end up "Avinashi road" going inside Coimbatore city. Few Km later you will reach a signal where turning left takes you towards the airport/your destination.

*Bhavani-Perundurai-Avinashi towns are all bypassed on the route above so quite fast

6am start on a regular weekend/sunday should see you in Coimbatore by 12:30-1pm with a 30 minute break for breakfast.

Breakfast options with your 6am start:
- at Shoolagiri ~65Km from Bangalore on left side there is a Krishna Inn/Mc Donalds in the same campus
- at Krishnagiri, just 2 km after the toll ~90 Km from Bangalore on left side there is a Sree Saravana Bhavan

Lunch options:
I think just 500m or so before you reach the Coimbatore airport signal junction there is an Anandhaas (maps also shows a Sree Annapoorna).

On the other routes:
1. Kanakapura route is narrow and the road via the monastery is a reserved forest section, narrow and no facilities, drive will be slower. This will also end up at Dhimbam ghat road as in 2B route

2B. Not worth going inside Bhavani-Mettur and then taking the Dhimbam ghat, will slow you compared to the National highway route.
These routes are good if you're not in a hurry and want a scenic, albeit slower drive.

Last edited by NPV : 10th February 2018 at 18:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 19:43   #954

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I will stick to the NH, so that I arrive on time.
Old 11th February 2018, 17:03   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

I would suggest you to leave say by 5 AM so that you can reach CBE airport well before 1 PM. Stick to the trusted NH route via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Salem bypass, and then NH544 (Salem-Kochi Highway)
Old 11th February 2018, 22:51   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

1. Bangalore - Kanakapura - Kollegal - dhondenling - Hasanur - Puliampatty - Annur - Kurumbapalayam - CBE Airport:

A. What is the current condition of this route?
B. Are there any good breakfast options with clean toilets along this route?
C. Would a 6AM start early enough to reach the destination by 1PM?
D. Anything else I have to be aware of, as I am driving on this route for the first time.

Thoppur breakfast - Sharvesh Inn just when you descend the ghat on you left. If you slow down after your cross a bridge, you'll spot it. I've been eating here for the last 1 year and is pretty decent. If you start at 6, you'll reach here by 8:30.
Other options - Sai Sangeet and Adyar Ananda Bhavan both before the Thoppur toll on the other side of the road. Please be aware that getting back on your side of the highway will make you go around quite a bit since there is no median to turn around.

Lunch - Sree Annapoorna Gowrishankar has a new(it's been there a year almost) outlet just 0.5 km before the airport turnoff on the left. One of the best in Coimbatore for food. Large seating area with parking. If you fancy non-veg, then there is a Kannappa Chettinad restaurant on the other side of the road.

Last edited by luvurride : 11th February 2018 at 22:53.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:26   #957
Team-BHP Support

With the number of hotels coming up beyond Salem toward Coimbatore I have stopped keeping track. There were already 2 A2Bs earlier. One at Salem exit and one at Perundarai bypass. Not to mention the multiple Saravana Bhavans on the highway. An Anandhas as well !

So these days, I usually have a first at Salem or beyond. It works much better.
Old 12th February 2018, 09:02   #958
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

I have been driving every weekend from Bangalore to Coimbatore and back for a year. I am a sedate driver who rarely crosses 120kmph, mostly keep to 90-100kmph. Normally takes me 5.5 hours from Sony World Signal to Saravanampatty in Coimbatore without any break. On two 3 day weekends though, Krishnagiri, Thoppur and Salem toll gates have added 2 hours to this. Been scouting for alternate routes.

1) Avoiding Salem - For last 3 months, I almost always take a right from Omalur and take SH 86 and go via Tharamangalam to go under NH 47 underpass to Sankari. After I cross the underpass, just take the small road to mild left where main road takes sharp right. Small road joins a main road where you take left, continue straight with next underpass on to your left and do a left U turn to join highway. Two toll gates and Salem town can be avoided (this should become better once the flyovers getting built in Salem is operational) and I almost always cover this distance in 45 minutes. Via Salem, it has varied between 35 minutes to 1.5 hours - on an average if you remove outliers due to holiday rush, it has been 45 minutes (typical hours - 6pm to 7pm on Thursdays and in opposite direction on Sundays). The detour is a pleasant ride with good scenery and great 2 lane roads. Only caveat is that you get stuck behind slow trucks once in a while because truckers prefer this route too.
b) To Avoid Thoppur and Krishnagiri tolls, yesterday on the way back, I took a left from NH 47 before Sankari to go to Edappadi > Mecheri > Pennagaram > Palacode > Rayakottai > Hosur. Roads are simply superb except for some construction near Edappadi; and mildly broken tarmac around Palacode and Hosur. Mecheri to Pennagaram is a driver's delight - winding and empty roads with nicely marked roads and rocky scenery all around. Though I could rarely cross 80kmph till Palacode, I still took the same 5.5 hours to reach Bangalore. Definitely a route worth considering on long weekends. Caution : hardly any place to eat or to fuel up and very very deserted roads. Cell and data signals are available through out and Google maps direct you pretty well. https://goo.gl/AMA5aA

I am certainly going to take this again
vsbabu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 09:20   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
I have been driving every weekend from Bangalore to Coimbatore and back for a year. I am a sedate driver who rarely crosses 120kmph, mostly keep to 90-100kmph.
Been scouting for alternate routes.
Can you give the google map link for this route as well.

Last edited by ampere : 12th February 2018 at 10:17. Reason: Formatted quoted post
Old 12th February 2018, 09:45   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
I have been driving every weekend from Bangalore to Coimbatore and back for a year. I am a sedate driver who rarely crosses 120kmph, mostly keep to 90-100kmph. Normally takes me 5.5 hours from Sony World Signal to Saravanampatty in Coimbatore without any break. On two 3 day weekends though, Krishnagiri, Thoppur and Salem toll gates have added 2 hours to this. Been scouting for alternate routes.

I am certainly going to take this again
You can try this alternate route as well. Via Thoppur-Mecheri-Nangavalli-Jalakandapuram-Edappadi to Sankagiri. By this you can avoid paying tolls at Thoppur and Sankagiri. I have driven on this route before and the roads are very good.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th February 2018 at 10:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks