Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 11:37   #856
BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Fastest would be route you mentioned. Since you are leaving saturday early morning, salem traffic should not a big deal. Make sure you take the coimbatore by pass and not go through the city.

You can take the omalur route. The road was bad the last time I tried it but I did read that they are patched up and better now. It will reduce 2 tolls but your travel time may increase a bit as the State Highway is a 2 lane road and there is a lot of truck traffic on that road.

Since you are travelling to thrissur, you can try the avanashi, mangalam, pollachi route instead of going via palakkad. Have not tried it personally but you can find a lot of info in other threads here.
How is the kokkegal -> chamarajnagar route? Is it a two lane route without divider?
Old 11th July 2016, 11:44   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilophile View Post
How is the kokkegal -> chamarajnagar route? Is it a two lane route without divider?
Yes, it is a 2 lane NH (NH 209) without divider. We do not have much options to break for food apart from Nijaguna Residency to the best of my knowledge.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 20:08   #858
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on the Mecheri-Pennagaram-Rayakottai-Hosur route ?

For a Bangalore-Sathyamangalam-Bangalore trip would this routing be fine ?

Onward:Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur-Ammapettai-Anthiyur-Sathyamangalam

*Any decent hotels for breakfast on this route after the turn off towards Mecheri at Thoppur ? I think there is a Sharvesh Inn in Thoppur town but in case one reaches there very early are there other options ?

Return:Sathyamangalam-Anthiyur-Ammapettai-Mettur-Mecheri-Pennagaram-Rayakottai-Hosur-Bangalore
Old 21st August 2016, 17:32   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

For a Bangalore-Sathyamangalam-Bangalore trip would this routing be fine ?

@NPV, if your destination is Sathyamangalam, you can go via NH209 Kanakapura-Kollegal-ChamrajNagar which will be faster too, with the hope that you don't get stuck in dhimbam ghats.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st August 2016 at 17:40.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 19:35   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on the Mecheri-Pennagaram-Rayakottai-Hosur route ?
Took this route in March. Details here. Wouldnt recommend Mecheri-Pennagaram route, as the terrain is kind of hilly and road is winding, it will slow you down, though road condition was mostly good when I drove. So better stick to the NH till Thoppur.
Landkruzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:52   #861
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions guys, but I was well on the way by the time you replied

My friend was quite familiar with the Thoppur-Mecheri route having taken it recently, thanks to google maps.

Route update:
Route we took was Bangalore-Thoppur on NH 7, turn off towards Mecheri (SH 20) and via the Mettur Thermal Plant (SH 158), turn off towards Ammapettai (back on SH 20) and then turn off towards Anthiyur and Sathy (this is the standard google maps route as well). If you don't have a GPS, you will need to follow the signboards carefully (some are only in Tamil) or stop and ask people since there are several places with multiple roads meeting at the junctions, some with large circles/roundabouts as well.

Roads are very good though a bit narrow at some places. Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur looks like very new tarmac. Mecheri-Ammapettai road goes parallel to the River Cauvery and lots of hills and greenery all around. Just 3-4 places on the entire route where culverts are not finished properly after recent construction work. Couple of places nearing Sathy, there are bridges being constructed so a muddy path exists for a very short stretch.

We took the same route for return journey as well.

*Though road conditions are good, can't do higher speeds 60-70 kmph max as there is lot of two wheeler, small town traffic and few trucks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
@NPV, if your destination is Sathyamangalam, you can go via NH209 Kanakapura-Kollegal-ChamrajNagar which will be faster too, with the hope that you don't get stuck in dhimbam ghats.
Didn't want to take a chance given the only break options would be at Chamarajanagar and Dhimbam was unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Wouldnt recommend Mecheri-Pennagaram route, as the terrain is kind of hilly and road is winding, it will slow you down, though road condition was mostly good when I drove. So better stick to the NH till Thoppur.
We did not try this and stuck to the Mecheri-Thoppur route.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd August 2016 at 10:19.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:24   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads are very good though a bit narrow at some places. Thoppur-Mecheri-Mettur looks like very new tarmac. Mecheri-Ammapettai road goes parallel to the River Cauvery and lots of hills and greenery all around. Just 3-4 places on the entire route where culverts are not finished properly after recent construction work. Couple of places nearing Sathy, there are bridges being constructed so a muddy path exists for a very short stretch.

We took the same route for return journey as well.

*Though road conditions are good, can't do higher speeds 60-70 kmph max as there is lot of two wheeler, small town traffic and few trucks as well.

Except for the options to break for food post Thoppur till Sathy, the route is very much preferable especially if your destination happens to be North Coimbatore. On the Mettur side, lorry traffic can be slightly high. Otherwise very good tarmac to commute.
Old 28th September 2016, 11:20   #863

Need some expert advice at this point. Planning for the a road trip to Coimbatore from Bangalore in a KA-registered car.

Since the KA-registered vehicles are not allowed beyond Attibele, is there any alternate safe route? The date of travel will be 1st Oct 2016.

Any comments on the route - Bangalore-> Kanakapura-> Kollegal-> Chamarajanagar-> Sathyamangalam-> Coimbatore?
Old 28th September 2016, 11:30   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjit.Shetty View Post
Need some expert advice at this point. Planning for the a road trip to Coimbatore from Bangalore in a KA-registered car.
Not sure whether it is safe to travel to TN in a KA registered car in the current situation.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 12:07   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since the KA-registered vehicles are not allowed beyond Attibele, is there any alternate safe route? The date of travel will be 1st Oct 2016.

Any comments on the route - Bangalore-> Kanakapura-> Kollegal-> Chamarajanagar-> Sathyamangalam-> Coimbatore?
Given that next hearing in SC is on 30th September, IMPO, i strongly suggest not to travel in either route on Oct 1st. Better book tatkal tickets in train and travel or postpone the trip, if possible.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 13:57   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Considering the prevalent situation, it is advisable not to take out your KA registered car. Better options will be to go by train or book a taxi from Hosur to Coimbatore. For this you need to book a taxi from your home in Bangalore to Attibele, cross the border by walk. May be you can ask the taxi agent in Hosur to pick you at the border.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 11:05   #867
Senior - BHPian

Going to Coimbatore tomorrow 4 AM. Planning to take the below route for a change.

Bangalore-> Kanakapura-> Kollegal-> Chamarajanagar-> Bhavanisagar dam-> Coimbatore (https://goo.gl/maps/4NznKGbiofR2)

1. I am very comfortable till Ch. Nagar. How are the road conditions post Ch. Nagar?
2. Google is asking to bypass Sathy and go via Bhavanisagar dam. I also think its a good idea to go via that route so that Kids can have a look at the dam. Any idea on the road conditions and any specific info on what to visit on the dam?

Last edited by arjithin : 4th November 2016 at 11:07.
Old 18th December 2016, 18:22   #868
BHPian

We are driving to Bengaluru tomorrow; very keen to avoid the the road works in Salem bye-pass. I know that if one takes a route via Tharamangalam one could get on to the NH again at Omalur. But I seek your help where exactly I take the left after Sankagiri and route after that. Last time we did take a left but ended up driving through number of villages having missed one road. Would appreciate if some one share the Google map link which we could follow as we have a few very senior citizens and do not want to wander too much. Thanks very much, cheers
Old 18th December 2016, 18:40   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
We are driving to Bengaluru tomorrow; very keen to avoid the the road works in Salem bye-pass. I know that if one takes a route via Tharamangalam one could get on to the NH again at Omalur. But I seek your help where exactly I take the left after Sankagiri and route after that. Last time we did take a left but ended up driving through number of villages having missed one road. Would appreciate if some one share the Google map link which we could follow as we have a few very senior citizens and do not want to wander too much. Thanks very much, cheers

Here is the link : Map

Once you are on Sankari bypass, look for a TATA/Maruti service center direction board on the left side. There are two or three such boards. You need to turn left at the same junction of this service center.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 18:56   #870
BHPian

Arjithin tnx. If I take the first left after CK Bakery, won't it get me directly to SH86? Or there is no left from the NH at that point? Thanks. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks