Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 22:38   #736
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bypassing Salem - NH7-NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I recently discovered this route to bypass Salem, it saves 12 kms and two tolls (Omalur toll and Sankagiri toll).
Many have been using the Omalur-Tharamangalam-Sankari option for some time now. More than toll it saves one from the Salem city traffic.
Old 14th April 2015, 06:49   #737
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bypassing Salem - NH7-NH47

Quote:
I recently discovered this route to bypass Salem city traffic, it saves 12 kms, and two tolls (Omalur toll and Sankagiri toll).
There is one more option that people can try. The Sankagiri toll does not cost much when compared to Omalur toll. At the same time it is worthless to pay toll at Omalur and then endure the slow moving truck traffic. So our objective is to avoid paying toll at Omalur but still commute on the NH saving time. Here it goes

As you cross omalur exit, proceed a bit further till you see Omalur fire station on your left. Take a U turn and then proceed as per the map. You will then meet the NH.
My friend tried this and found the roads to be good.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-omalur.png

Last edited by GTO : 18th April 2015 at 11:02. Reason: Fixing quote :)
Old 17th April 2015, 14:15   #738
BHPian

QUOTE As you cross omalur exit, proceed a bit further till you see Omalur fire station on your left. Take a U turn and then proceed as per the map. You will then meet the NH UN QUOTE

I think the map given is the regular route through Salem by pass with that fly over etc. The deviation what is mentioned is the State Highway through Tharamangalam, Desavilau, Pappampadi... Right? It is an interesting advice and I will try to take it in my next trip to Cbe. How good is the State Highway, condition and traffic?

Cheers
Old 21st April 2015, 11:26   #739
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries

The traffic on the SH86 is less, but you may see some slow moving traffic inside the towns. The road condition is also good to do 80 kmph.
Old 21st April 2015, 11:51   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The traffic on the SH86 is less, but you may see some slow moving traffic inside the towns. The road condition is also good to do 80 kmph.
One can expect some traffic near Tharamangalam . Apart from this it should be smooth sailing. Most important factor: one gets to avoid 2 tolls at Omalur and Sankagiri.
Old 21st April 2015, 16:21   #741
BHPian

Thanks voyager and Suresh. Yes more than the toll, I am interested in missing the rush in the Salem by pass.

Cheers
Old 14th May 2015, 18:37   #742
BHPian

To all you good folks out there, I am planning to do the Bangalore Coimbatore drive via Chennapatna, Dimbam, Bhavanisagar, Sirumugai, Karamadai route. Would appreciate any advise on the condition of the roads given that its been raining quite frequently this summer. I am going to be driving down with my two year old and therefore, if the roads are bad, I would rather do the regular route via Hosur, Krishnagiri and Salem. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Krish
Old 14th May 2015, 20:26   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
To all you good folks out there, I am planning to do the Bangalore Coimbatore drive via Chennapatna, Dimbam, Bhavanisagar, Sirumugai, Karamadai route. Would appreciate any advise on the condition of the roads given that its been raining quite frequently this summer. I am going to be driving down with my two year old and therefore, if the roads are bad, I would rather do the regular route via Hosur, Krishnagiri and Salem. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Krish
I assume you mean Chamrajnagar and not Chennapatna.

There is a bridge closure between Malavalli and Kollegala, which means you need to take a deviation via T Narsipura-Talakkad to get to Chamrajnagar. In addition there is no family friendly places (apart from Nijaguna Residency at Chamrajnagar) to stop.

The roads are generally in great condition-Including the deviation (although 2 lane highways) and pretty scenic. Some small stretches of road widening is happening around T.Narsipura.

So in summary, would not advice this route unless you are looking for a different experience and don't mind a longer driving time. With a 2 year old, I guess you would want to reach your destination as soon as possible.
Old 14th May 2015, 21:10   #744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post

Best,
Krish
I would suggest an alternate route Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur, Mecheri,Mettur,Ammapettai,Anthiyur,Athani and Sathyamangalam. As mentioned in your post it is not Chennapatna but Chamarajanagar.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:51   #745
Senior - BHPian

Hyderabad-Banglore-Coimbatore Update.

Banglore-Hosur.
Good roads throughout Attibele toll takes time to cross.
The flyover at Hosur bus stand is still in progress and allows one way traffic towards Krishnagiri.

Hosur -Krishnagiri-Salem
Very good througout.

Salem -Coimbatore
Very good and Avinashi-Coimbatore is complete with the speed breakers and humps over the flyovers have been leveled.Still toll is not in place.Some road works are still in
progress at the entry to the Coimbatore bypass.
gajadonga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 11:44   #746
BHPian

Salem-Cochin highways (NH 47) rechristened NH 544. Saw new boards displaying this number last week. To avoid Two roundabouts at Salem, I had taken Sankagiri Main Road at Nandhi Circle near Sowdeshwari College and it saves some distance too!
Old 8th September 2015, 12:31   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
To avoid Two roundabouts at Salem, I had taken Sankagiri Main Road at Nandhi Circle near Sowdeshwari College and it saves some distance too!
There is one more option of avoiding paying toll at Omalur toll plaza. Instead of taking a turn towards Omalur town, proceed further on the NH service road till you see the fire service center. Take a U turn and go via the route shown in the map below. This route is via salem steel plant. By this one can avoid paying toll at omalur yet go on the NH.

Bangalore to Coimbatore : Route Queries-omalur-pass.png
Old 8th September 2015, 16:54   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Salem-Cochin highways (NH 47) rechristened NH 544. Saw new boards displaying this number last week. To avoid Two roundabouts at Salem, I had taken Sankagiri Main Road at Nandhi Circle near Sowdeshwari College and it saves some distance too!
I don't get it. Can you elaborate please, or a map will greatly help!
Old 7th October 2015, 16:59   #749
BHPian

Can any one provide an update on the present condition of Bangalore - Kanakpura - Sathyamangalam - Dhimbam - Coimbatore route? Has anyone travelled through this road recently, I heard there was some construction going on in between?
Old 7th October 2015, 17:21   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by decode View Post
Can any one provide an update on the present condition of Bangalore - Kanakpura - Sathyamangalam - Dhimbam - Coimbatore route? Has anyone travelled through this road recently, I heard there was some construction going on in between?
The bridge near Kollegala on this route was closed for repairs. That is open now. The other road work in the area is between Mysore and Gundlepet and does not impact this route.

This route is as good as it has always been. I have driven Bangalore-Chamrajnagar recently and not beyond that. But as per reports in several thread here, should be as good as it has always been.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks