Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 22:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The road from Nagalapuram to Red Hills is in good condition and you should not have any problem driving in the dark. I am not sure of the condition between Nagari & Nagalapuram, in the worst case what you could do is go upto Puttur and then go to Nagalapuram, it should add only about 10 kms more to the distance.

The stretch does not have much facilities in terms of stops etc. so ensure you finish your dinner before you start. Though it could be lonely there is absolutely no issues in terms of safety.
As planned, i did B'lore-Nagari-Nagalapuram-Periyapalayam-Madras trip last friday night.
The road conditions are good throughout, but i need to depend on GPS as there were no sign boards and not much people late in the night in roads.

Few members from my family traveled from Madras to Nagari for same function via Thiruvallur-Thiruttani route and they said, the construction is going on quite a few diversions are there in that route. I didn't try it, as i went by @pypkmsrikanth suggestion

-Ravi
Old 16th June 2013, 07:36   #62
BHPian

We drove to Tirumala from Chennai yesterday.

I wouldn't recommend Tada, Kalahasti. Till Tada the NH 4 lanes is good. But after that it is State Highway with horrible speed breaks. They are lot and without proper signs. Lot of turns than straight roads.

Of course the Poonamalle, Thiruthani, Nagari, Puthur route is not great either, I see few "Dive"rsion, where you need to literally dive. Probably due to work in progress. Two places I was literally shocked ,as you proceed you have no idea what's coming next, the road is laid in such a way that you have no visibility of next, to turn left, right or straight.

IMHO both of them are not recommended for night drive due to single lane without divider.

Next time I would prefer Thiruvallur, Puthur road unless there is a way I can avoid those speed breaks in Kalahasti route.

Last edited by carbhp : 16th June 2013 at 07:37.
Old 17th June 2013, 08:03   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
Next time I would prefer Thiruvallur, Puthur road unless there is a way I can avoid those speed breaks in Kalahasti route.
How does this add up for people coming from South of the city say Tambaram?
Does it make sense to do Tambaram-Sriperumbudur-Thiruvallur?

How is Sriperumbudur-Thiruvallur ?
Old 17th June 2013, 08:50   #64
BHPian

Not sure, from Thirumazisai it is single lane without divider, but you can maintain speed.
carbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 05:24   #65
BHPian

Guys

I live at Madipakkam (Ram Nagar), though we may be starting the strip from my dad's place at Saidapet (near Raj Bhavan). So which is the best route now from Chennai to Tirumala?

Went through the last 2 pages, and no route seems to be great as of now. That's kinda disappointing.

We are going by car (2010 Verna SX petrol) - just me, my wife and my 1 yr old son.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
I live at Madipakkam (Ram Nagar), though we may be starting the strip from my dad's place at Saidapet (near Raj Bhavan). So which is the best route now from Chennai to Tirumala?
Saidapet-Kathipara-Porur-Chennai Bypass-Redhills-Tada-Naidupet-Kalahasti bypass-Tirupati.

Other route is take Tada-Kalahasti road, but this would take you inside Kalahasti.

Tada-Kalahasti is a good normal 2-lane with mild traffic. Nayudupeta-Kalahasti is good wide 2-lane with moderate to heavy traffic depending on the time.

Both have generous amount of unmarked speed breakers.
Old 17th July 2013, 00:02   #67
BHPian

Back after completing a round trip to Tirumala from Chennai. Took the Tada - Kalahasti route both ways.
Kalahasti to Renigunta seems to be very treacherous with heavy lorry traffic and very rash driving in that segment

TTD have now imposed a minimum time limit for covering the Tirupati - Tirumala Ghat section. The minimum uphill time is 28 mins and the minimum downhill time is 40 mins. If you reach your destination before the stipulated 28/40 mins either way, you are fined Rs.200/-.

In addition to this, there are also mobile TTD squad vehicles equipped with a speed gun that come in the opposite direction and impound your vehicle if you are found violating the speed limit.

The toll slip that you purchase at the Tirupati toll gate is bar code encoded and is scanned to record your start/end time and should be retained with you till you complete the downward journey back to Tirupati.

Last edited by donzerus : 17th July 2013 at 00:06.
donzerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 12:51   #68
BHPian

Just finished this trip yesterday.

Started from East Tambaram on 3rd Aug ( Sat) early around 5.40am.

Route taken - Chennai - Tada - Srikalahasti - Tirupathi - Tirumala.

Road Condition :

Chennai - Tada - 4 lane most of the time. Only few sections of under construction / road expansions were found. Was cruising at 100Kmph.

Tada - Srikalahasti - Road is narrowed down to a two way. Drivable completely. No heavy tracfic found across. Was able to cruise at 80Kmph.
Yes. Speebreakers are plenty. Atleast 12 if I missed the count.

Srikalahasti - Tirupati - Road is further narrowed down. Not bad to drive other than the speedbreakers irritating you.

Same route considered while returning back. Took only 4.5 hours with two breaks of 15 mins and one half hour one.

Total distance covered was 170kms - 22kms - 18kms - 158kms, from East Tambaram to Tirupati - Tirumala up hill - Tirumala down hill - Tirupati to East Tambaram.

Unique incidents:

Due to the Telegana issues,

1. There was a 'rasta rokho' some 15 odd kms before reaching Tirupati. Had to take a de tour, through a By pass. Wasted some 20 mins in waiting and another 15 mins is guessing the alternate route.

2. Another one was after crossing Tirupati, the junction near Bustand was completely blocked with hoards of Jeeps( commander's)
Luckily, found some route throught the bus stand to negotiate. Another 30 mins wasted.

This Toll experience was a first time for me. Was always walking uphill through Alipiri earlier.

Though was very light on the accelarator, was forced to wait for a few minutes, to meet the minimum up hill time of 28 mins.

Same thing happened while returning down Sunday noon.
Stopped for cool 15 mins near Hanuman statue to meet the minimum requirement of 40 Mins travel down hill.

IMP: Pls save your receit after reaching Tirumala. The same will be asked while driving back down hill.

Darshan info:

Stood in the Rs. 300/-queue at 12.15pm and came out only at 5.15pm.
Solid 5 hours.

Regards,
Maverick79.

Last edited by Maverick79 : 5th August 2013 at 12:55.
Maverick79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2013, 14:04   #69
BHPian

Just finished Chennai - Tirupathi - Chennai trip yesterday.

Route:- Perungudi - Koyambedu - Redhills - Janapanchatram - Periyapalayam - Uthukottai - Puthur BP - Tirupathi

Total distance - 150 KM
Time taken - 2.45hrs (Started at 3.45AM Sunday reached 6.30AM including short breaks).

Route condition:
Due to early hours, not much traffic seen throughout the journey. Till Janapanchatram its the usual AH45 road. After crossing the Karunodai bridge, turn left to go via Periyapalayam. From Janapanchatram till SIPCOT its mostly double road newly laid. Then its a single road with a divider. From Periyapalayam the road is getting widen and till Uthukottai the road condition is good. Not much road damages are seen.
After crossing Uthukottai the AndhraPradesh road starts. Till Puthur the road is wide and triple (but no divider). Three cars can go abreast. Speed breakers are at the beginning of every village and at the end.

From Puthur to Tirupathi new road is being laid. 50% of the 30KM road is complete and very good. We have to drive carefully for the remaining 50% in this stretch.

Since I did not have any trouble while going to Tirupathi, I took the same route while return as well.
Started at 7.30PM from Tirupathi Busstand and reached Koyambedu at 10.30PM. Heavy vehicle traffic is seen on AH45 road till Madhavaram Junction. I have observed lot of traffic jams due to heavy vehicles on the other side of the road.
Overall, even if we maintain 70kmph, we can do within 3hrs during odd hrs in this route.
kiran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 18:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Next weekend, i need to attend my cousin's wedding in Nagari.

I will be driving from Madras to Nagari via Tiruttani.

Any recent updates on telengana protests in this route,

a) are shops open after we enter AP border,
b) any road blocks due to protests? Or traffic is allowed only in night as i heard in other parts of AP.
c) And road conditions are good?

Appreciate any inputs, as it will be helpful to make required arrangements for wedding to go smooth as much as possible.

Thanks
-Ravi
Old 26th September 2013, 12:30   #71
BHPian

Hi All,

I would be travelling to Tirupati tomorrow. Is Tiruvallur/Tiruttani/Puthur/Tiruchanoor/Tirupati motorable now?

Also, please let me know if it's safe to travel to Tirupati due to the ongoing bandh.
Old 15th December 2013, 14:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Both the above routes are comfortable drives though once Puthur - Tirupati stretch is ready I would prefer going via Periyapalayam as it is shorter with lesser traffic as overtaking is quite difficult in the Kalahasti - Tirupati stretch with heavy lorry traffic at most times of the day.
Any updates on the Puthur - Tirupati strech as I would be making a trip to tirumala during the weekend. Which route do you advise I should take? I would be travelling with my family.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:10   #73
BHPian

Chennai-Tiruvallur-Tirutani-Tirupathi:
On 19th March, Left at 600hrs, was pleasantly surprised to reach Tirupathi by 815hrs on this road. The road is absolutely brilliant. There are about 3 diversion/single lane bridge crossings just after Tiruvallur and once closer to Tirupathi. The road surface in Tamil Nadu is excellent but after once crosses into Andhra, a 5 km stretch of patched up roads is seen about 15km from Tirupathi.

I drive to Tirupathi atleast 2 times a year and over the last 2 years have been using the Tada-Kalahasthi road which normally takes 3-3.5 hrs.
Old 20th May 2014, 12:17   #74
BHPian

Guys,

Planning to go to Sri City from Bangalore. Wondering how the current road conditions is via Chittoor, Renigunta, Srikalahasti, Tada.

Any updates from anybody who recently travelled?

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 25th August 2014, 11:44   #75
BHPian

Any recent updates on which is best route? I had traveled in March and Tiruvallur-Nagari-Renugunta road was good except for some diversions. Was able to reach Tirumala in 4.5 hours including breaks for breakfast, permit, checking at foothills and this was on a Tempo Traveler. Please confirm if the route is better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks