Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 14:22   #76
BHPian

re: Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries

Thought I will update on Thiruvallur Route which I took yesterday to go to Tirupati

I started from a place near Medavakkam and since the ORR has been opened recently thought will try it out. So the choice of my route onward was Medavakkam (5:45 AM) - Tambaram overbridge (6:00 AM) - Mudichur Road - Old perungulathur Road - take right after the bridge to ORR join (6:10 AM) - Nazarethpettai (6:25 AM) - take left to NH4 and then right for Poonamalee-Thiruvallur Road - Reach Thiruvallur 6:50 AM - Tirutani - Breakfast at Ponpady (Hotel Kasi; On hindsight could have chosen a better location) - Nagari - Puttur - Molagamudi (I like this name!) - Tirupati Byepass (8:15) - Chandragiri (my destination : 9 AM)

Roads are good throughout. Poonamalee - Thiruvallur is 4 laned except for stretch near Thirumazisai. Thiruvallur - Nagari is 2 laned (bidirectional) and from Nagari it is fourlaned.

Return was via the same route except I wanted to try Thiruvallur - Sriperumbadur road which is also good by two-laned and then taking the Manimangalam route.

Bad stretches: Roads inside thiruvallur till you reach the highway to Thirutani after District collectorate, a bad stretch near Nagari for building a flyover across road to Uttukottai, stretches near Vadamalpet which is potholed and needs to be negotiated carefully

Observation:
1. After Vadamalpet after the RUB on Down rail line between Renigunta - Arakkonam there is signboard to take a left to Tirupati (15 Kms) where the straight also goes to Thirupati (20 Kms). Going straight is prefered as this left takes you across to AlmeluMangapuram temple at Tiruchanoor via a level crossing at Pudi which can hold you back if closed. Instead one can take the straight road join the bye-pass (left) go over the Railway line and take the next exit and take the same Tiruchanoor road coming from the temple to the bus stand and then proceed to Alipiri for Tirumala
2.The Chennai Outer Ring road though completed and in top condition is not frequented due to presence of better alternatives with respect to connectivity.
DWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 15:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Am planning to drive from Madras to Tirupati via Uthukkottai, Nagalapuram, Puttur this month.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=pr&t=m&z=11

Any one recently traveled in this route and can provide updates? Thanks for the help in advance !

-Ravi
Old 8th December 2014, 13:00   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Thought I will update on Thiruvallur Route which I took yesterday to go to Tirupati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Just finished this trip yesterday.

Started from East Tambaram on 3rd Aug ( Sat) early around 5.40am.

Route taken - Chennai - Tada - Srikalahasti - Tirupathi - Tirumala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Just finished Chennai - Tirupathi - Chennai trip yesterday.

Route:- Perungudi - Koyambedu - Redhills - Janapanchatram - Periyapalayam - Uthukottai - Puthur BP - Tirupathi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

Am planning to drive from Madras to Tirupati via Uthukkottai, Nagalapuram, Puttur this month.
Hey folks!

I'm thinking of making a trip to Tirupati towards the end of this month. Hopefully on a weekday.

Based on the posts on this thread, this route is the most recommended:

Chennai->Porur->Sriperumbudur->Tiruvallur->Thiruthani->Puttur->Tirupati

Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries-tirupati.png

Just wanted to know from fellow members and travelers who've visited Tirupati recently by their own vehicles if this route is good for now.

The other route I've heard of is going through Red Hills:

Chennai->Red Hills->Tada->Srikalahasti->Tirupati

Chennai to Tirupati : Route Queries-tirupati2.png

Is this route any good this time of the year? We are targeting 24th of Dec as the day of travel.

The journey should be completed within one day.

The idea is to take the route with best possible roads, and least amount of traffic. People traveling will be 2, just my wife and I.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Old 8th December 2014, 15:28   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey folks!

I'm thinking of making a trip to Tirupati towards the end of this month. Hopefully on a weekday.

Based on the posts on this thread, this route is the most recommended:

Chennai->Porur->Sriperumbudur->Tiruvallur->Thiruthani->Puttur->Tirupati

Attachment 1316253

Just wanted to know from fellow members and travelers who've visited Tirupati recently by their own vehicles if this route is good for now.

The other route I've heard of is going through Red Hills:

Chennai->Red Hills->Tada->Srikalahasti->Tirupati

Attachment 1316254

Is this route any good this time of the year? We are targeting 24th of Dec as the day of travel.

The journey should be completed within one day.

The idea is to take the route with best possible roads, and least amount of traffic. People traveling will be 2, just my wife and I.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Cheers!
One of my colleague took the above mentioned routes some 3 weeks ago.
Found both of them were damaged due to rains. He did it in Ecosport.
So pls be prepared for some time lags in the itinerary.

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 15:32   #80
BHPian

Hi Sourav,

I would ask you to persist with Thiruthani route. The route posted by you on Google maps is more or less the same except after Vadamalpet (which is just after you go under a railway viaduct and take a hard right immediately to run parallel with it for some distance) you will encounter a fork with both arms pointing to Tirupathi (one via Pudi, Thiruchanoor ) and the other via the road to Renigunta where you catch the Tirupathi Bye-pass (marked as 18A in Googlemaps) . Your route indicates the first option which I had marked in my post to avoid as you will have to cross the Railway line using a gated level crossing which can hold you up if it is closed and is a twolaned road till after you cross tiruchanoor. Instead you can take the second arm of the fork, take the byepass and then join the same Tiruchanoor road through excellent four-laned road.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2014, 20:38   #81
BHPian

Sourav,

DWind suggestion is the better option. But, since you start from Thiruvanmiyur, it would be better to go through Avadi >Tiruvallur. Last weekend, I went to Kala hasti in this route and it was OK. Though roads were narrow, it was less congested comparing to poonamallee route.
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 21:28   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Found both of them were damaged due to rains...
Thanks for that info Maverick!

Do you have any idea about how badly damaged these roads are? As in, can folks drive on it at a decent pace for some time or do we need to play the frequently slow down-speed up-slow down game all day long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I would ask you to persist with Thiruthani route...
Thanks! I've been told by many folks at the office that the Tada route is on a 4 lane highway, with a divider. But it has a lot of speed breakers. And, the Thiruthani route, while better apparently, does not have any dividers on it. Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
...go through Avadi >Tiruvallur...
Thanks! Looked up the route you've suggested and it seems to make the overall trip about 15 kms shorter! . Quick question though, how is the road connecting Porur to Thiruvallur through Avadi? It seems to be running right through densely populated areas.
Old 10th December 2014, 15:38   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Thanks! I've been told by many folks at the office that the Tada route is on a 4 lane highway, with a divider. But it has a lot of speed breakers. And, the Thiruthani route, while better apparently, does not have any dividers on it. Is this true?

Thanks! Looked up the route you've suggested and it seems to make the overall trip about 15 kms shorter! . Quick question though, how is the road connecting Porur to Thiruvallur through Avadi? It seems to be running right through densely populated areas.
Not sure from porur to avadi, but after avadi, it is good for sedate driving. It will be moving traffic with average around 40. After thiruvallur, its will be a pleasant drive.

TADA route is good if you leave during early hours. Not advisable for evening return, it will good for an hour or so after which you will be struck in lorry traffic which is far worse than city traffic.
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Not sure from porur to avadi, but after avadi, it is good for sedate driving. It will be moving traffic with average around 40. After thiruvallur, its will be a pleasant drive.

TADA route is good if you leave during early hours. Not advisable for evening return, it will good for an hour or so after which you will be struck in lorry traffic which is far worse than city traffic.
Thanks for that info! Much appreciated!

I guess the trip might just become a 2 day trip as we intend to visit Sri Kalahasti as well. So Day 1 will be reserved for Tirumala, and Day 2 we will visit Sri Kalahasti and return to Chennai. More on this as it develops.
Old 10th December 2014, 17:04   #85

Did a trip to Tirupati a week back.
I'm from Medavakkam and have to pick parents from Chengalpattu.
So, the route was Chengalpattu-Kanchipuram-Arakkonam-Tiruthani-Tirupati. Recent rains have damaged roads from Chengalpattu to Kanchipuram and the roads from Kanchi to Tirutani is also not that good. You can find solace in Tirutani-Tirupati road which is far better (toll is coming soon though!!)

On top of bad roads you have to go through the traffic of Kanchi, Arakkonam and Tiruthani towns which during any time of the day is horrible due to narrow stretches. I feel Chennai-Tirupati is any day better than Chengalpattu-Tirupati!!
Old 8th February 2015, 14:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijai View Post
Did a trip to Tirupati a week back.
I'm from Medavakkam and have to pick parents from Chengalpattu.
So, the route was Chengalpattu-Kanchipuram-Arakkonam-Tiruthani-Tirupati. Recent rains have damaged roads from Chengalpattu to Kanchipuram and the roads from Kanchi to Tirutani is also not that good. You can find solace in Tirutani-Tirupati road which is far better (toll is coming soon though!!)

On top of bad roads you have to go through the traffic of Kanchi, Arakkonam and Tiruthani towns which during any time of the day is horrible due to narrow stretches. I feel Chennai-Tirupati is any day better than Chengalpattu-Tirupati!!
The new ORR is well lit and safe.

A small portion of ORR on Vandalur end is left unfinished.

However one can join GST from ORR through existing roads.

No toll is being charged on ORR.

For Tambaram to ORR follow this route

http://goo.gl/maps/uzDiQ

Thereafter go straight for 28 km, without any turns, on ORR to reach Nemillicherry.

When you reach Nemillicherry you will find the ORR blocked.

There you will find a well marked diversion for getting off ORR.

Simply follow it for 500 m approx to get down and onto Chennai-Tiruvallur Road.

Go straight to Tiruvallur on it and then onto Tirupati.

If any query ask me by pm.
Old 9th February 2015, 11:37   #87
BHPian

SdKing,
Any idea how is the MTH Road between Nemilichery and Tiruvallur?

I had done a trip to Thirupathi last weekend. Since I leave closer to Medavakkam, I tried the following to take Thiruvallur - Thiruthani Route

1. Onward:
Medavakkam - Tambaram (East) - cross over GST to Mudichur Road - Mudichur - Manimangalam - Sriperumbadur - Thiruvallur
Good stretch: Manimangalam-Sriperumbadur, the stretch after Delphi-TVS Junction on Sriperumbadur - Thiruvallur Road
Bad stretches: Mudichur Road due to traffic, the small stretch of Kunrathur - Sriperumbadur road which one has to take to meet the Bangalore highway is dug up on one side and you will have to be careful negotiating with oncoming traffic, Sriperumbadur-Thiruvallur road has been dug up for building underground sewrage and will slow you down when traffic gets bunched up due to slow moving trucks.
Time Taken: 1 hour and 40 mins

2. Return:
Since I was getting bogged down by traffic and since it was Sunday afternoon came be regular
Thiruvallur - Vellavedu - Poonamalee - Porur - Kathipara - Thillai Ganga Nagar Subway (New Arm of IRR) - Velachery - Medavakkam
Good Stretch: very few. Usual city traffic but light considering the time I was travelling
Time Taken: close to an hour

Thiruvallur - Thiruthani - Puttur - Thirupathi byepass Road:
Except for stretch from Thiruvallur town center to the highway and some diversions due to incomplete bridges on Thiruvallur-Thiruthani Road and incomplete fourlaning on Nagari - Puttur - Thirupathi byepass it is fantastic. I could see 2 toll boths being constructed but not yet operational.
Pitstops on the way: GRT Amirtham on Thiruthani apart from usual Akshaya Bhavan used by regulars on this route
Timetaken: 70-80 mins (says a lot about the route)
Old 23rd February 2015, 13:30   #88
BHPian

I went to Tirupati on Friday (20th) and came back yesterday (22nd).

I choose Manimangalam route as I like the scenery few places (green trees on both sides creates a green cave, especially during rainy days, it is a pleasant to drive). Of course no divider and risky if oncoming traffic is heavy.

And also by mistake I took the old Tirupati road and upset - Kanchipuram, Tiruttani Road and finally took the NH 205 and relaxed.

While coming again I saw the Chennai sign (old) and took the wrong route and got back to NH 205 and it is a breeze.

When coming from Tirumala, don't follow the old signs which says Chennai. Stick to NH 205. As the previous posts mentioned the roads are pretty good though no dividers/median for most of the stretch.

Thiruvallur to Thirumazhai is not that great, but okay.
Old 10th March 2015, 14:46   #89
BHPian

I did a Chennai - Tirupati trip over the last weekend.

I went through the Tada route, and was very happy with it.

Started early morning 6:45 AM on Friday, went through Porur Junction, and then finally turned right on to the bypass road.

Smooth sailing from there till Tada. Few trucks and buses here and there. Did a solid 120-130 all the way to Tada , apart from the diversions slowing us down a bit.

Turned left into Tirupati road after reaching Tada, and followed it all the way to Sri Kalahasti.

Was mostly empty apart from a few autos :d. That road, apart from some patch works, is pretty nice to drive on. Good scenery all around.

Total travel time: 3 hours & 15 minutes. No breaks in between.

We stayed at Fortune Select Grand Ridge hotel. Great place. Excellent service.
Old 26th April 2015, 17:47   #90
BHPian

Did a Chennai Tirupati Trip last week. Started on 23-Apr after office at 8 PM. Took me 2 hours to reach Tiruvallur from OMR via Guindy, Porur and Poonamalee (Byepas). From there on it just took me just 1.5 hours to reach Tirupati via Tirutani, Nagari, Puttur.

Had stayed over at Hotel on Tirupati Bypass road freshen up and leave my car to travel by foot to reach Tirumala. Started at 5:30 AM next day morning from Alipiri to reach Tirumala at 9:30 AM. Had already booked by 300Rs ticket for 12 Noon slot (reporting at 11 AM). Was there by 10:45 AM and finish my darshan and come out of temple by 1:15 PM.

Roads between Thiruvallur outskirts and Tirupati are great with toll both operational at 2 places (between Tiruvallur and Tiruthani) for Rs 25 and another near Vadamalapet for Rs 50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks