Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 12:01   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Agree with Ampere, and adding to it, Kollegal isn't the nicest of the places to be in.
Any specific reason why you say so - Jeeva ? This was the first time I was passing through that part of Karnataka, and Kollegal looked like a normal mid-sized Karnataka town to me. Don't seem to have heard anything else about the place other than it having been a favourite hunting ground of the infamous Veerappan when he was alive.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:04   #1772
Team-BHP Support

Guys, any recent updates on the Kumily route?
I would be travelling to Kerala using this route early tomorrow.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:56   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Road from Bangalore to Kumily is excellent, just that its curvy road, from Kerala border to Kumily, road is in very good condition. I had been there last month. Bangalore Munnar Kumily Alleppy.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:20   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
From which side are you going to enter kumily?
I have done Kottayam Kumily - Road is in excellent condition. It is a 2 lane route with almost no potholes barring a km stretch in between
I have also done Kumily - Munnar - Awsome ghat routes. Closer to Munnar, the route sometimes becomes single laned with sharp edges. Need to drive carefully in order to safe guard tyres from suddenly getting off the lane due to oncoming traffic. The sharp edges can cause harm to the tyres. Also closer to Munnar, the road is littered with pot holes.

If we consider the Kottayam Kumily route condition as a proxy for Kumily Theni route - The route should be in excellent condition (as Kumily Theny route is the continuation of the highway from Kottayam)
Old 14th October 2010, 18:45   #1775
Team-BHP Support

Shamanth and Himavanth, sorry for not being clear. What i meant to ask was the route from Bangalore to Kottayam via Kumily.

As for KottayamKumily road, i've been on it many times, so i know about the road curves.

Last time i checked here, there was an update that the road descending the ghats from Kumily werent in great shape, so wanted to know of there was any change.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:09   #1776
BHPian

What is the situation of Theni - Munnar road after monsoon ?.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:16   #1777
BHPian

I got back from Calicut yesterday. There is some repair work underway on the hairpins on the Ghat section. I was stuck on the seventh hairpin for a while due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
During this trip I also experimented on an alternate route between Bangalore and Gundlupet via Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar. Roads are mostly excellent, but navigating the 3 major towns (Kanakapura, Kollegal and Chamarajanagar) takes a while (no bypasses), the roads are quite narrow near many villages and there's the odd unexpected pothole here and there.
I did try the above route and it was quite good. I would say a refreshing change from the standard route. It was light traffic till Kanakpura after which it got a bit busier. I think I took slightly less time than I would have taken on NH212-SH17 when travelling at similar times but the drive was much more relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Yes - what Google Maps shows is the right road. The right turn is almost immediately after you turn left at the Gundlupet junction (May be about 50 metres ahead). There are no signboards there, and the road is currently being rebuilt - so only half the road is paved.

The route through Chamarajanagar town that is shown by Google Maps is currently blocked - you'll find some barricades blocking the straight road at the point where you enter the town and will be forced to take a left turn there (where a sign indicates that it's the road to Mysore). Make sure you ask locals for directions to Kollegala at the next junction - you won't find any road-signs that show you the way. (Note that you need to say "KoLLe-ga-Laa" and not "Kollegal" or else the response may be a blank look as I found out )
I was able to find the right turn to Chamarajanagar easily. The tip regarding "Kollegal" was really helpful. Thanks for these tips
Old 18th October 2010, 10:34   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
I have also done Kumily - Munnar - Awsome ghat routes. Closer to Munnar, the route sometimes becomes single laned with sharp edges. Need to drive carefully in order to safe guard tyres from suddenly getting off the lane due to oncoming traffic. )
May I request a little more specifics of the Munnar-Alleppy via Kumily as i will be doing the route beginning next month. Any suggestions of Hotels at Alleppy and Cochin-mid range.
Thank you.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:40   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajidclt View Post
I did try the above route and it was quite good. I would say a refreshing change from the standard route. It was light traffic till Kanakpura after which it got a bit busier. I think I took slightly less time than I would have taken on NH212-SH17 when travelling at similar times but the drive was much more relaxing.
What time of the day was your drive back and how many hours it took via Kollegal?
Old 18th October 2010, 11:57   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
What time of the day was your drive back and how many hours it took via Kollegal?
I passed Gundlupet at 2:50 pm and reached Kanakpura Road - NICE road junction at 6:10 pm. It took another half an hour to reach home (in JP Nagar) which makes it almost four hours from Gundlupet.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:57   #1781

Chennai - Cochin - Latest Road Conditions

Hi,

Found that there are two preferred route, one via Krishnagiri and one via Tindivanam, out of which via Tindivanam seems shorter.

Just wanted you guys latest experience on the road condition if I choose via Tindivanam

Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 14:04   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Don't go via Tindivanam. Road conditions are not great from Ulundurpettai to Salem. It is better to go via Krishnagiri you would also end up saving a lot of time.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:10   #1783
Senior - BHPian

@Saint - Srikanth is right; you need to take Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Kochi route. You may want to avoid Palakkad-Thrissur route due to bad stretch & instead opt to route via Pattambi.

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th October 2010 at 17:22. Reason: Thread merged. Removed reference. Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 15:10   #1784
BHPian

Guys, Iam planning a Thrissur-Kollam trip this weekend with my 2 month old baby girl. I need you help in the present condition of road especially in Alleppy-Kollam stretch NH 47.
Which would be better 1) MC road ie, TCR-ANGMLY-KOTTARAKARA-KLM or 2) NH 47 ?. Thanks in advance
Old 20th October 2010, 15:59   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last time i checked here, there was an update that the road descending the ghats from Kumily werent in great shape, so wanted to know of there was any change.
Please refer to my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2094797. Should answer most of your queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Which would be better 1) MC road ie, TCR-ANGMLY-KOTTARAKARA-KLM or 2) NH 47 ?. Thanks in advance
Going by my experience as of 2 weeks ago, NH47 was in a very decent shape all the way from Kochi to Kollam. Not sure how the recent rains have affected the situation though.

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th October 2010 at 17:21. Reason: Back to back posts in less than 20 minutes. Please use multi-quote option in future. Thanks

Most Viewed