Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 11:37   #1
abn

All Roads to Kerala

Hi all,

I will be travelling to kerala next weekend,exactly to cochin. Can anybody give an update on how the road condition after mansoon. I think roads upto valayar will be ok, what about valayar to trissur? Or can i take any different route, which bypasses palakkad like a route through marayoor-munnar?
Thanks in advance.

Update:

A comprehensive listing of most of the important highway eateries on the NH7-NH47 (Bangalore - Salem - Thrissur) stretch as on May 2016 is attached in this post. Many thanks to member ranjitp1!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2016 at 07:59. Reason: Update on eateries posted.
Old 17th August 2007, 12:02   #2
BHPian

I was made to understand that roads to Kochi from Bangalore is BAD, but the road to calicut is fairly GOOD (I went 2 weeks back,Not as good before the rains). Why dont you take the road :
Bangalore - Mysore - Gundalpet - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Calicut - Edappal - Edapally - Kochi.

Bangalore Calicut drive time is 5.30 mts to 6 hrs (350 Kms), and another 3.30 mts to 4 hrs (210 Kms) will be Calicut - Kochi.

Time taken is almost same for both the routes.
Old 17th August 2007, 12:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

The route Abhilash has suggested via Calicut is a fun drive also (ghats).

Thanks Abhi.

I havent been through there in a while now, was worried the kerala rains would have ruined the roads. Was supposed to go this weekend, but I will be driving down on 22nd
Old 17th August 2007, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

The direct road to Kochi via Palakkad is OK except for some bad stretches near Walayar.
Old 17th August 2007, 13:14   #5
BHPian

walayar to palakkad is ok with just the usual potholes. palakkad to thrishur is a fast strech with potholes the size of craters! Be very careful on this strech. work is going on in this strech but it'll be some time before its fully done.
Old 17th August 2007, 13:38   #6
BHPian

ABN, What are you driving? I drive an alto and find the palakkad route really bad compared to the calicut route.
Old 17th August 2007, 13:51   #7
Team-BHP Support

My relative returned from Kerala last week via the Palakkad route, i think and his Alto is now a mini rattletrap.
Old 17th August 2007, 15:01   #8

Hi guys,

I am also driving to Kerala (Cochin to be precise) on 23rd morning. Reports from recent travellers confirm that the road condition (Usual route, via Coimbatore) is really very bad. I think it would be wise to take the Calicut route even though there are reports of bad patches on the Calicut-Cochin route.

Let's hope the patch work being done by the PWD (or whoever) at least fills the deadly potholes.

Cheers,
Anil Dev
Old 17th August 2007, 16:05   #9
BHPian

Guys,

Why dont you try the following route...?

Bangalore - Mysore -Gundalpet - Bandipur- Gudallur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna-Pattambi-Trichur -Cochin

Bangalore - Perinthalmanna is 340 Kmts add up another 150 (Max) to Cochin.

Two months back this road was really good except the Bandipur -Gudallur (<30 Kmts)
and Wandoor Perinthanlmanna (30 Kmts).

This route is also known for itz scenic beauty.

You will never forget the journey thru the bandipur forest !! you could see lot of wild animals, from gudallur there are lotz of T-estates tooo...!!!
Old 17th August 2007, 16:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

last month is when i took the route and trust me after walayar its a huge mess till trichur.
Old 17th August 2007, 16:32   #11
BHPian

Another alternative route is

Bangalore-->Mysore-->Thamarassery-->take left turn after the Ghat-->Areekkode-->manjeri-->Perinthalmanna-->Pattambi--->then either proceed to Trichur thru Shoranur or Kunnamkulam route-->From Trichur side u can take either NH 17 or NH47.

Its advisable to avoid Tamilnadu as entire Tamilnadu 4 lining works of National highways are on progress and hence some traffic issues.

--mykal
Old 17th August 2007, 17:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi BMWX5 th rains in the last two months can do a lot to the road s thats why i believe most members are looking for more recent updates....the scenic beauty is unparalled but bad roads has the potential to take your mind to a state where you cannot enjoy the scenery
Old 17th August 2007, 17:58   #13
BHPian

Sounds the best route to take to Kochi is through Calicut. There are certain stretches on calicut - Kochi (I took this route 2 wks back) which are not good...I was told that the stretches from Walyar - palghat is very bad.
Old 17th August 2007, 19:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good news. 150Cr handed over for fixing roads. Work started last day.

Funny part. They gonna give contract for road laying . 2000kms per year @ 25lac per kms. The road should hold for 5yrs even during heavy monsoon down pour.

Tourism development are in charge of some roads where tourist visit regularly like Varkala . They have spend 1cr per km from Paripally to varkala to Kallambalam. These roads are just awesome.
Old 17th August 2007, 20:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

The calicut route does not make any sense - because it ultimately lands u up in Thrissur, no matter what and the Thrissur-Cochin stretch has to be done(NH 17 is an option, though). For avoiding Walayar-Palghat-Thrissur stretch(70-80kms), you travel about 100 more KMS???? Till Coimbatore, the roads are Ok in TN, only the traffic is more.

My suggestion is to take the normal route and be prepared to drive slowly and carefully in the Walayar Stretch, take your time...

Unless you want to drive 100 more kms/enjoy scenic roads/ghats.

Now you decide.

Most Viewed