Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2007, 23:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
steer, palakad trichur is worse than palkad-walayar, esp on ur safari u will not feel much from palkad to walayar compared to trichur to palakd

fyi i did my usual blast over potholes in under 45 mts from palghat to coimbatore in the puny swift d
Thanks - I saw Zak and others posting about Mars like craters hence the question.

I wont be doing Palakkad - Trichur, because my hometown is Shornur and so I drive Trichur - Shornur - Palghat. Normally a terrific road to drive on.
Old 19th August 2007, 00:15   #32
BHPian

one word to describe the current condition of kerala roads-"PATHETIC"!!!
Just got back yesterday from a long journey. There are craters wide enough to 'rainwater harvest'!!!! believe me!
heard the estimated budget to patch up roads all over kerala is about 300 crores!!!!
Old 19th August 2007, 20:54   #33
BHPian

I got a dent on my new Aveo wheel after taking Palakkad-Thrissur highway. I judged the depth of one crater wrongly!

Nirmal
Old 19th August 2007, 21:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Palghat- Cbe is still do-able. Please keep a sharp lookout for the odd crater. The damage on this road is not enough to warrant the Pollachi detour.

Its the Pgt-Tcr stretch that is majorly shot to pieces!.. IN fact 'Kudiran' was completely blocked for days due to land slips!
Old 20th August 2007, 10:24   #35
BHPian

Any idea of the condition of the strech between Palakkad and Cochin after the patch work done recently. I am planning Kerala trip on this 24th.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
sulthanbathery and kalpetta are in wayanad , has somebody travelled through this route after the recent floods and subsequent water logging.
I took the road 2-3 weeks back and the road is fine. The ghat road is not as great its was 2 months back, but in good condition except a couple of very small bad streches.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:14   #37
BHPian

[quote=Kuttapan]The calicut route does not make any sense - because it ultimately lands u up in Thrissur, no matter what and the Thrissur-Cochin stretch has to be done(NH 17 is an option, though). For avoiding Walayar-Palghat-Thrissur stretch(70-80kms), you travel about 100 more KMS???? Till Coimbatore, the roads are Ok in TN, only the traffic is more./QUOTE]
You dont touch Trissur when travelling Calicut to Kochi. You can take a deviation from Edappal which take you directly to Edaplly Toll gate.I mean not the regular Calicut - Edappal - Changaramkulam - Kunnangulam - Trissur - Angamaly - Kochi route
Old 20th August 2007, 11:31   #38
BANNED

Suddenly, there has been lot of activity from the state government to fill up the huge craters by some semi-temporary solutions. This has made the potholes less attacking on the cars. Please note that You'll still be rocking and jumping a lot in the car. Just that the cars won't be damaged much. This is the update for this week and I've found this mostly after travelling around south Kerala.

Palakkad - Trissur is in the same condition and very much avoidable. Best speeds I could do was 40-50kmh. The worst thing is there's not much of an alternative option.

All with good 4X4s and offroaders, You're gladly welcome to experience a very rocking and shaking ride thru out Kerala.
Old 20th August 2007, 11:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Route to Trivandrum

Anybody has updates on the other Krishnagiri-Salem-Madurai-Shencottai Route status , as i am travelling to Trivandrum on 23rd Aug and Its gonna be an overnight drive.

I am travelling in my Verna and when teh raod conditions weregood i had done the Krishnagiri- Salem- CBE- Cochin-TVM Route in approx 12 hrs of driving ( including the breaks ) again over night trip.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:05   #40
BHPian

Roads are pathetic - the reports of Mars like craters are true. Drove down on Wednesday and came back yesterday. Roads from coimbatore to palakkad is bad and then on worse till trichur and then on bad till angamaly.

try alternative routes as suggested above.
Old 21st August 2007, 17:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Driving from Bangy tomorrow. Then travelling further to Mangalore for the weekend and returning.

Kozhikode - Quilandy - Badagara - Thalassery - Kannur - Kasargod - Mangalore.

Assume this is the route, Hows this stretch?
Old 21st August 2007, 18:49   #42
BHPian

Expected to drive from Bangalore to Kozhikode on 31 August. Am trying to get a fix on what the road is like and whether I should attempt to make the trip in my Swift D. Would really appreciate inputs from fellow TBHPians who have made the trip on or after 20 August 2007.

@Hellstar or Jaggu, any suggestions on the best route to take? And the estimated driving time?

Thanks guys!

Kartik
Old 21st August 2007, 20:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Any idea of the condition of the strech between Palakkad and Cochin after the patch work done recently. I am planning Kerala trip on this 24th.
dear shalini g,
i did coimbatore - kochi via pallakad-thissur- kochi todayin my new civic MT,started at 7.30 AM and reached kochi by 1.15 PM.could do 40 - 50 kmph mostly ,rarely could reach 75 kmph.roads till pallakad had pot holes in patches,pallkad to thrissur had relatively more pot holes and thrissur to kochi the least if i compare all three routes.patch work is going on the roads and i hope by 24 aug it shall be fine.wish you happy motoring !!
Old 21st August 2007, 23:00   #44
BANNED

[quote=s0uljah;539533Kozhikode - Quilandy - Badagara - Thalassery - Kannur - Kasargod - Mangalore.

Assume this is the route, Hows this stretch?[/quote]

Err.... is there an alternative route?
Old 21st August 2007, 23:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Driving from Bangy tomorrow. Then travelling further to Mangalore for the weekend and returning.

Kozhikode - Quilandy - Badagara - Thalassery - Kannur - Kasargod - Mangalore.

Assume this is the route, Hows this stretch?
Very very bad, especially between Mangalore and Kasargod, as per reports 3 weeks ago.

Alternative from Bangy is to come via Madikeri, Puttur and Kasargod , bypassing Mangalore and coming via Mysore instead of Hassan

Most Viewed