Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 23:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Err.... is there an alternative route?
Ok I guess I wasnt clear enough. It should have read "I assume this is the route?" I meant to ask if that is the route, judging by your response I reckon there is no other route.

My query regarding the condition of this stretch still remains unanswered though... oh well I guess it wont be long before I find out for myself
Old 21st August 2007, 23:34   #47
BHPian

sOuljah, looks like you are going to be the one to update us on the condition of the roads to and in kerala. Look forward to a positive report chief, else my dear Swift D is not going to like me for a long time to come...

Cheers!
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
"I assume this is the route?" I meant to ask if that is the route, judging by your response I reckon there is no other route.

My query regarding the condition of this stretch still remains unanswered though... oh well I guess it wont be long before I find out for myself

Kasargod - kannur - calicut route is From Mangalore, and there is really no alternative except NH17. Coimbatore - walayar - Palakkad - trichur stretch is part of NH 47, and you take it to reach Cochin from [Bangalore] or anyplace in South east Karnataka, Any place in AP and Most of northern TN. There are quite a few alternatives. For example, From bangy, people can take at least 4 routes to reach Mananthavady / Irritty - Kannur or Perinthalmanna - Shornut - trichur on the way to Cochin.
<tongueincheek>
Some of the alternatives are not maintained by the govt/its agencies. These pass through fields around Walayar, and are used by spirited lorry drivers.
Going by posts here, these roads would be in better condition than NH 47.</tongueincheek>

Of course, you can go from B'lore to M'lore and then come into Kerala via NH 17, but that is a lousy choice, IMHO. It is a bit since I travelled this route, but I think the roads will be bad just after Monsoons, and the risk is greater, particularly because the entire kasargod - Edappally stretch is infested with private buses.
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:31   #49
BHPian

DiD Bangalore - Muvattupuzha (Nearby cochin ) on Aug 6th in My Zen.
Should've taken a pic.. The rear seat was folded forward and all the items in my house was stacked on the back of the car.. (Including a computer table too)

Roads were good till walayar... After that itz hopeless.

Angamaly to Muvattupuzha (MC road) was really nice
Btw had done MVPa - thiruvalla on MC road. Ettumannor to Thiruvalla is sort of bad.

Damages - 2 Bent rims (both front), Jumpy Suspension (anyway it about to be overhauled). scratches & slightly bent sump

Was driving quite fast because, that was going to be my last week at home ,before leaving town for a couple of years ,and each hour @ home was quite precious. Miss kappa and meen

Time taken - Started @ 9am. Reached angamaly By around 6pm.
A long break there and One more hour to Muvattupuzha

Last edited by Jomz : 23rd August 2007 at 01:34.
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:58   #50
BHPian

I have been following this thread closely since I have a Bangalore-Thrissur trip to make on the 26th of this month to attend my colleague's loss of freedom and sanity (a.k.a wedding). From the looks of it, things dont look so good for the Baleno, especially since there are four of us. I had a gut feeling the roads would be bad because my Trivandrum-Bangalore Volvo journey on the 15th of this month was pretty bumpy. Since then, I have been praying that Achumama does something before my next trip (heck.... who the hell am I kidding???)
Old 23rd August 2007, 07:34   #51
BHPian

hi
i drive every month from mysore to cochin( every month from past 6 years).sincere suggestion: route from Walayar to thrissur - NO ROAD exists now.dangerous and horrible for any vehicle.thrissur to cochin is also in same condition.another route of driving thro mysore to calicut and cochin- here blr to mysore - 2 and half hours + mys to gundalpet-1hr + gundalpet to kalpetta-to calicut - 4hrs ( however you drive you need 5 hrs from mys to calicut) is OK, but then from calicut to cochin - is BAD.
Take a flight - spice jet is now flying for 1500+ or AD is daily flying at 1500+ or best is take a train. Driving is not worth the pain.
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

GUYS BE CAREFUL IN THE TCR - PKD stretch . ROAD IS REALLY REALLY BAD , TRY AVOID PASSING THAT SECTION IN THE NIGHT ! I travel everyday in that route and the roads have become really dangerous , so anyone who is planning a night drive from Bangalore , Please be really careful.
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:37   #53
BHPian

coupled to the heavy duty rains things are expecetd to be even worse i guess!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:37   #54
BHPian

That settles the matter for me then...will not risk my Swift D on non-existent roads! She is far to precious to be abused, and at such a young age at that. I don't want her to grow up scarred for life because of a nasty childhood experience.

Cheers!
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

Going Ahead !

I have decided to skip the Salem - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Trichur Route completely and use the Rout via Taminadu , as shown below

Bangalore - Salem
Madurai-Tirumangalam, 20 kms
Virudhunagar, 28
Sattur, 28
Sankarnagar, 75
Tirunelveli, 5
Nanguneri, 34
Valliyoor, 15
Panagudi, 9
Nagercoil, 24
Marthandam, 30
Neyyatinkara, 21
Trivandrum, 22,
totalling 293 kms from Madurai

Or

Madurai-Tirumangalam, 20 kms
After Tirumangalam, 3 kms, turn right off NH7
Srivilliputtur, 55
Rajapalayam, 11
Kadayanallur, 56
Tenkasi, 18
Schecottah, 10
Aryankavu, 18
Tenmala, 11
Kulathupuzha, 13
Palode, 29
Nedumangad, 18
Trivandrum, 15

totalling 277 kms from Madurai

I checked the status of these roads with a KPN Volvo Driver who does this route daily and he says these are definitely better than the Trichur cochin route if you have to reach either Kollam / Trivandrum.

I am starting today , and will give an update before noon tomorrow. On the actual conditions

Courtesy Tadukuttan and hvkumar
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:28   #56
BHPian

Wise decision.The roads in tamiladnu are going to 4 laning but still better then keral.Salem - comimbatore took me 4 hours !!! that too drining in night was horrible. Trisur road is horrible, However if you turn towards tekkadi from trisur - Aluva road then the roads are very good.Madurai to tirunelveli road is very good. You can do 120 easily.. though lot of diversions due to 4 laning.
Old 23rd August 2007, 14:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Last 25 kms approach to Madurai from Dindigul is slow. From Madurai, the road is extremely fast. The Madurai bypass is good. Road narrows down after you leave NH7 the last 18 kms into Nagercoil town. The town is a bit messy. From Nagercoil, the road to TVM on NH47 is slow during day time because of dense traffic.

The route via Rajapalayam, Schencottah and Tenmala may be avoidable during this season, it being a heavy-rain sector although teh road does not normally carck up during the rains.
Old 23rd August 2007, 19:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys, reading about development of roads in other states makes me cry.

About 7 - 8 years back, I had done the Krishnagiri - Vellore - Chittoor - Tirupati stretch when the roads were two lane in under 3 Hours. There was absolutely no sign of any kind of impending development. There was no need to expect any development because we had to drive about 15 to 20 minutes, during day time to meet a vehicle in the OPPOSITE direction.

Then, 2 or 3 years back, I did the same stretch; but, as you all would know, not on the same road. In 4 years (actually, less than that) flat, the road was 4 laned, and only the overbridge at Vaniyambadi (not sure of the name) was incomplete. Err... the toll booths too were incomplete.
Contrast this with the situation in Kerala. developing a road in Kerala in 4 years is a pipe dream.
Just look at the situation of Vytilla - Aroor stretch, Alleppey byepass (under construction for 2 decades), Varapuzha - Parur Kodungallur (under construction ever since I remember). Of the last mentioned stretch, one news paper reported that some of our representatives actually met the CPWD officials with a request that the work should NOT commence when they are out of power!!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Guys, reading about development of roads in other states makes me cry.

Contrast this with the situation in Kerala. developing a road in Kerala in 4 years is a pipe dream.
Just look at the situation of Vytilla - Aroor stretch, Alleppey byepass (under construction for 2 decades), Varapuzha - Parur Kodungallur (under construction ever since I remember). Of the last mentioned stretch, one news paper reported that some of our representatives actually met the CPWD officials with a request that the work should NOT commence when they are out of power!!!
Even now, NH47 has no bypass at Kollam, a messy drive. I think there too, a bypass has been under construction for the last 2 decades!!
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:17   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Even now, NH47 has no bypass at Kollam, a messy drive. I think there too, a bypass has been under construction for the last 2 decades!!
Its almost complete,but connect to NH47 but the other NH to MAdurai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks