Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2007, 21:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there is any issue taking the Hosur - krishnagiri - dharmapuri - thoppur - mettur - bhavani - coimbatore - palakkad - trichur route even after the rain. I drove this route end of May, few of my family members have gone through the same route until first week of August, so far no major issues. It would be a better route than considering the calicut route which has ghat that can be very dangerous in the rainy season. I dont know what members meant here by enjoying the scenic beauty and stuff in the heavy rains !! One cant even see the roads properly, how do you enjoy the scenic beauty ??
Old 17th August 2007, 21:48   #17
BHPian

I was in palasenna today. Trust me on the whole strech till palakkad there was just one road roller and 5 workers filling up the potholes with jelly. Patch work only happening.
Old 18th August 2007, 08:41   #18
BHPian

road/traffic conditions from coimbatore to kochi

dear all,
i would be travelling from coimbatore to kochi in a new car on 21/22 aug and so would request you all to throw some light on road/traffic conditions from coimbatore to kochi,also what time would be the best to travel?
Old 18th August 2007, 11:13   #19
BANNED

The road from Palakkad to Cochin can be avoided. It is in a very sad state as of now. Planet Mars looks more a better option.
There was some landsliding issue in between Palakkad and Trissur. Vehicles were redirected via Ottappalam and there is a huge traffic pile up happening in that area.
Old 18th August 2007, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm travelling in the REVERSE direction (from Cochin towards Bangalore) via Siddhapura/Bylekuppe on the 27th.

Whats the best road to take - can I assume that Thalassery - Virajpet is bombed out as usual?

That Palghat - Trichur stretch had been a beautiful stretch of highway, however its been deteriorating over the last year or two. Rather than a repair, it needs to be RELAID. It was laid over a decade ago and it has done its job very well - that was one of the smoothest stretches for a long time.

It needs a fresh new surface now.
Old 18th August 2007, 19:02   #21
BHPian

dear all,
i would be traveling from coimbatore to kochi in a new car on 21/22 aug and so would request you all to throw some light on road/traffic conditions from coimbatore to kochi,also what time would be the best to travel?
Old 18th August 2007, 19:18   #22
BHPian

dear all,
i would be travelling from coimbatore to kochi in a new car on 21/22 aug and so would request you all to throw some light on road/traffic conditions from coimbatore to kochi,also what time would be the best to travel?
Old 18th August 2007, 19:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Did Walayar to Trichur last week... there is NO road to speak of! - took me close to three & half gingerly driven hours to get there - one way!

I will NOT advise driving down that stretch for the moment.
Old 18th August 2007, 19:48   #24
BHPian

sulthanbathery and kalpetta are in wayanad , has somebody travelled through this route after the recent floods and subsequent water logging.
Old 18th August 2007, 21:26   #25
BANNED

ANY road in Kerala is not just bad, but HORRID at this time of year. Just start early allow for extra driving time, and be alert as you pass Walayar and, yes, pray. I would vote for this route, if you are coming via CBE.
Between Trichur and Angamaly, expect 4 laning work at several stretches. You really do not have alternative, AFAICT. If you are taking the other route via pattambi, DO NOT come to Trichur. Reach cochin via Kunnamkulam - Thriprayar - Kodungallur - Parur - Varapuzha - Edappally. The roads retain their surface in most places at least.
If you insist on an alternative route to TCR - Ekm - try this - From Trichur, take the state highway to Irinjalakuda - Kodungallur. From Kodungallur it is same as the route I gave above. Atleast, the roads are reasonably straight, and traffic is less till Kodungallur.
Old 18th August 2007, 21:29   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
dear all,
Start from CBE early morning - say 5.30. You will reach Walayar around 6.00 -6.30. 4 laning is going on on most of Walayar - Angamaly sector. Expect horrid roads; and there is no real alternative.
Old 18th August 2007, 22:05   #27
Senior - BHPian

Well I'm afraid I cannot avoid that route - I have to be in CBE on 25 and 26, so I have to suffer the PGT-CBE stretch.

Unless I drive down to Pollachi from PGT and take the highway to CBE - is this worth the trouble??? I dont mind driving 50 kms extra if I can drive at decent speeds.
Old 18th August 2007, 22:18   #28
BANNED

Alternative to NH47 on Walayar - Trichur - Ernakulam

If Palakkad - Trichur is as bad as Walayar Palakkad, you can try this route - Palakkad town - Ottappalam - Shornur - Wadakkancherry - Trichur.

This is state highway, and OUGHT to be good - the road was upgraded fairly recently under some ADB funded scheme. (I say OUGHT because I have not travelled on this route just before the Monsoons).

And for those absolutely wanting an alternative to Walayar, you should think of some route via Puthunagaram (in Palakkad). I think it reaches Kozhinjampara and thence to Pollachi. I am not sure. Saw quite a few buses going to Pollachi (?? again, I am not sure) when I was to this place in January). This route will bring you to Alathur, IIRC. From Alathur, you can still avoid NH, by taking the long and winding road, and driving through picturesque paddy fields to reach Pazhyannur. From here, you reach Wadakkancherry, and thence to Trichur.
Old 18th August 2007, 23:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If Palakkad - Trichur is as bad as Walayar Palakkad, you can try this route - Palakkad town - Ottappalam - Shornur - Wadakkancherry - Trichur.
I ought to know this one - my parents live in a house 50 meters off the new highway.

What I asked for is PGT - CBE routes. I know the one via Gopalapuram to Pollachi, but is there any other route?

I'm tempted to take our Silent Valley route to CBE, though my passengers may not appreciate such a long detour, regardless of how scenic it is.
Old 18th August 2007, 23:26   #30
Team-BHP Support

steer, palakad trichur is worse than palkad-walayar, esp on ur safari u will not feel much from palkad to walayar compared to trichur to palakd

fyi i did my usual blast over potholes in under 45 mts from palghat to coimbatore in the puny swift d

Most Viewed