Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 10:06   #781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
I drove back from Cochin to Bangalore on the 9th Sep, 09. I took the folloing route back to Bangalore:

Kochi – Aluva – Thrissur – Palakkad – Coimbatore – Avanashi – Perundurai – Bhavani – Salem - Thoppur – Dharmapuri – Krishnagiri – Hosur – Bangalore

Out of Kochi roads are rough with broken tarmac and lots of deviations till Aluva. Some parts of 4 lane roads are good. From Aluva the 2 lane road is good at some stretches with very regular potholes till Outskirts of Coimbatore. Watch out for a couple of really big potholes after Thrissur. Coimbatore bypass is super smooth till Avanashi. But the 2 lane NH is very narrow to overtake and one tends to get stuck behind slow moving trucks for a long time. From Perundurai its a super smooth 4 lane NH. I made a wrong decision and made my way towards Salem on the 4 lane NH which was in a very bad shape with lots of condstruction going on and added to that heavy rains. From Salem to Bangalore its Super smooth 4 lane NH7.

I would suggest you take the following route to Kochi:

Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur (Exit NH7 and turn Right) – Mettur – Bhavani (Join NH47) – Perundurai – Avanashi – Coimbatore – Palakkad – Thrissur – Aluva – Kochi.
DD - looks like the roads from Kochi to CBE are not that great. what was approx time you took ? i would be doing the CBE - TVM stretch in a couple of days...
Old 15th September 2009, 11:30   #782
BHPian

Hi Narayan the following route is my favourite route but its not a NH. its 2 lane SH but very less traffic. This route will take hardly 5 hours to reach Coimbatore .I did this route some 2 months back in 5 hours with 2 breaks.

Bangalore-Hosur-Rayakottai-Palacode-Papparapatti-Pennagaram-Mechari-- Mettur-Ammapettai-Andiyur-Athani-Gobi-Nambiyur-Puliyampatti-Annur- Coimbatore
Old 15th September 2009, 11:32   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
Hi BHPians

I need your help for my 2000+kms Bike trip(Thunderbird twinspark, Karizma R, Bullet 500) which includes ooty, goa , athirampally ,vaalparai and many other places.

Can you please let me the road conditions of Mangalore to chalakudy. Heard NH17 is not good. is there any other interesting route? if so can you please let me know the route ,distance, places to visit etc.

Also please let me know the distance from Shravanabelagola to Agumbe and Road condition

I have attached my trip plan here
any inputs guyss??????
Old 15th September 2009, 13:28   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
DD - looks like the roads from Kochi to CBE are not that great. what was approx time you took ? i would be doing the CBE - TVM stretch in a couple of days...
I took about 4.5 hrs to do Kochi to Coimbatore.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:02   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I did a Ekm-Kodungallur-Chavakkad-Ponnani-Kuttipuram-Kozhikode-Kannur trip last week.
Road is excellent until Ponnani. After that Ponnani-Kuttipuram NH is so-so. No big potholes. Usually I take the ponnai-edapal-kuttipuram route, but heard from a friend that this stretch is bad now. Kuttipuram-Kozhikode is again good. Take the by-pass and join Eranhipalam junction. From there usual route. Kozhikode-Kannur is not so good. The top layer is gone in most places. So the ride is not good till Vadakara.
You are right, I took the ponnnai-edapal-kuttipuram route. Ponnani stretch was by far the worst bit on my drive along the NH17 from Kochi to Kasaragod in Kerala. There was a political procession on the other route via Ponnani so unfortunately i didnt have any options at the time.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:22   #786
BHPian

Any updates? BLR-MYS-Gudalur-Nilambur route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
I usually do Bangalore - Trichur via Mysore-Bandipur-Nilambur.
Thinking of the NH this time (K'giri - Thoppur - Bhavani - Palakkad).

Any opinion on which is the better road after the heavy rains over the last few weeks?

Is the Bandipur route gone v bad or is it decently drivable ?

Thanks in advance

-r

Folks - any updates at all on the BLR-Mysore-Gudalur-Nilambur route to Trichur? How are the roads after the recent rains?
Leaving in a few hours so appreciate any info.

Thanks

-r
Old 16th September 2009, 15:53   #787
Senior - BHPian

Don't know the present road condition but forest section is closed for night traffic.

Last edited by coolclouds : 16th September 2009 at 16:11.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:55   #788
BHPian

any pointers on the condition of the road from Bangalore to wayanad ?
Old 17th September 2009, 11:11   #789
Team-BHP Support

I am travelling to Mundakayam via the Dindigul - Theni - Kumili route this weekend. Last time i checked, roads were good. Hope it stays the same.
Old 17th September 2009, 13:11   #790
BHPian

How is the road from Mangalore to chalakudy? heard NH17 is not good.is it doable in a single day on bike (Thunderbird twinspark , Bullet 500 and Karizma)? any alternative routes? what are the places to visit in the middle.?
Old 17th September 2009, 13:50   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am travelling to Mundakayam via the Dindigul - Theni - Kumili route this weekend. Last time i checked, roads were good. Hope it stays the same.
hi benny boy the route as usual is good , after kumily , just watch out for the big craters which appear out of nowhere the rest of the roads maybe fragmented but still a smooth drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Don't know the present road condition but forest section is closed for night traffic.

that's affirmative but its open if you're willing to shell out a couple of tenners.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:20   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
that's affirmative but its open if you're willing to shell out a couple of tenners.
I doubt if its the case with the current Night Movement Ban at Bandipur what you say might be true with the Masinagudi Checkpost. I did not come across any post talking of greasing your way through the current ban at Moolehole and Bandipur or did I miss something?
Old 17th September 2009, 14:24   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buvan View Post
How is the road from Mangalore to chalakudy? heard NH17 is not good.is it doable in a single day on bike (Thunderbird twinspark , Bullet 500 and Karizma)? any alternative routes? what are the places to visit in the middle.?
Its about 400 kms and can be done in a day but be alert on monsoon.
Old 17th September 2009, 14:41   #794
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hi benny boy the route as usual is good , after kumily , just watch out for the big craters which appear out of nowhere the rest of the roads maybe fragmented but still a smooth drive.
Thanks for the info, Anup. My friend who went by this route last month also threw in a word of caution regarding the route after Kumily.

Between, when are you travelling by this route next?
Old 17th September 2009, 15:01   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Its about 400 kms and can be done in a day but be alert on monsoon.
Hi coolclouds thanks for the info.

Hows the road condition and any places to visit in this route .Is there any alternative route to chalakudy from mangalore

Most Viewed