Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 15:17   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
That is good news... How about Traffic at Walayar Checkpost, after 10pm
There are frequent traffic jams at all times.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:21   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
That is good news... How about Traffic at Walayar Checkpost, after 10pm
I didn't pass the Walayar check post at night but didnt have any block while going/coming back. I passed through this area around 6pm-7pm both ways.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:00   #1503
BHPian

I need to take my family to Kochi over the weekend from Coimbatore. I am bored of going on NH47 and wouldn't mind taking a longer scenic route that is less crowded. I was thinking of Anamalai - Parambikulam - Chalakudy but saw lot of notes on non-existent roads.

Any ideas on what I can take assuming I start at 9AM and am ok with getting to Kochi by 6PM? Also, are there areas where we can catch lunch / freshening up on the way?

Also, any first-hand updates on the road conditions. I am driving a Scorpio but still wouldn't want to put in into huge ditches.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:17   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The route is feasible, but problem with this route is:
- You have to take a narrow mountain road from Cumbam via Cumbamedu to Nedumkandam, then take a left turn to Puliyanmala, after which a right turn to Kattapana, and so on. From Kattapana onwards, it is totally desolate roads through wildlife territories via Cheruthoni/Idukki, Painavu, Kulamavu, Naduganu, Moolamattam and Muttom. I think they will not permit you on this route at night thanks to the wildlife crossings. Besides, it is a road you have take when you have lots of time on your hands, it being very scenic. And not a fast road.

The route via Kumili is fast with options to turn off towards Muvattupuzha at Mundakayam, Kanjirapalli and Ponkunnam (need not go till Kottayam to go to Muvattupuzha)
Why not take NH49 itself from Madurai ? If my memory serves me right you can take a deviate from Pooppara and go to Adimaly without touching Devikulam / Munnar (via Rajakkad I think), and proceed from Adimaly to Muvattupuzha via Neriyamangalam - Kothamangalam. This should certainly be shorter than going via Puliyanmala/Idukki, and the roads should be decent as well.
Old 18th August 2010, 00:54   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
JWhile going from B'lore, I could cover Coimbatore (L&T Bypass)-Ernakulam (palarivattom) in 4 hours (6pm-10.30pm with one 30 miniute stop in between). And while coming back on Sunday, I could cover this in 3.5 hours (non stop from 3.25pm to 6.55pm)
That's fast. Especially taking into consideration the traffic on NH47 at that time.
Old 18th August 2010, 09:32   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Why not take NH49 itself from Madurai ? If my memory serves me right you can take a deviate from Pooppara and go to Adimaly without touching Devikulam / Munnar (via Rajakkad I think), and proceed from Adimaly to Muvattupuzha via Neriyamangalam - Kothamangalam. This should certainly be shorter than going via Puliyanmala/Idukki, and the roads should be decent as well.
You are right about that route, but that can be bad during the rains. It is also a narrow road not recommended for those not familiar with the area, and definitely not for someone on a long drive from Bangalore. When you are on a long drive and not familiar with the region, best policy is to stick to the main roads and not take those less travelled.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:06   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@HVK Sir - How about taking the attached route from Chennai to Muvattupuzha via Madurai-Theni-Kambam-Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha?
Attachment 408017

Will this be faster & better than taking the conventional Salem-CBE-Palakkad-Thrissur route?
Come down through KK road from Kumily and then take right at Kanjirappally towards Erattupetta, Thodupuzha, MVPA route. This will help you to avoid unknown road conditions in the Idukki district due to rains.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:09   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vasoo; but I'm planning to take the regular Chennai-Salem-CBE-Palakkad-Thrissur route; I'll do HVK sir's recommendation solo by motorcycle as I don't want to experiment unknown routes or non highways with family.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:32   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
I need to take my family to Kochi over the weekend from Coimbatore. I am bored of going on NH47 and wouldn't mind taking a longer scenic route that is less crowded. I was thinking of Anamalai - Parambikulam - Chalakudy but saw lot of notes on non-existent roads.

Any ideas on what I can take assuming I start at 9AM and am ok with getting to Kochi by 6PM? Also, are there areas where we can catch lunch / freshening up on the way?

Also, any first-hand updates on the road conditions. I am driving a Scorpio but still wouldn't want to put in into huge ditches.
Any suggestions on above query, please?
Old 18th August 2010, 10:51   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
How about Pollachi-Valparai-Athirappally-Chalakudi ? I've never travelled that way, but from the descriptions about this route in several TBHP threads, it is a spectacular drive, and one that I'll definitely try the next time..
Old 18th August 2010, 10:52   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try Pollachi, Valparai, Athirappally, Chalakudy route or Udumalpettai, Munnar, Kothamangalam, route. Both are scenic and will take more than 6 hours.
Old 18th August 2010, 11:11   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
How about Pollachi-Valparai-Athirappally-Chalakudi ? I've never travelled that way, but from the descriptions about this route in several TBHP threads, it is a spectacular drive, and one that I'll definitely try the next time..
Perfect. I will do that. Does anyone have any more details on road conditions and dos and donts?
Old 18th August 2010, 12:10   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
I will be going to Thiruvlla from Bangalore on 21st August for Onam vacations. Being the holiday session, it is very difficult to get the tickets in train and bus, so I am planning to drive my Scorpio. I have done this route several times via Salem - Coimbatore and Dindugal - Kumaly.

This time I want to try a different route. That is, Bangalore - Pollachi - Valparai Chalakkudy - Muvattupuzha - Kottayam - Tiruvalla. As far my calculations, the Distance would be around 730 kms (100 kms extra cramped to normal route).

The route as follows.

Bangalore pollachi - 415 Kms

Pollachi - Aliyar Dam (27 Kms)

Aliyar Dam - Valparai (42 Kms)

Valparai - Sholayar Dam (22 Kms)

Malakkapara CP - Vazhachal CP (50 Kms)

Vazhachal CP - NH47 (Chalakudi) (36Kms)

Chalakkudi - Thiruvalla - (130) KMS

So If am starting from 3.30 AM From Bangalore, is it possible to reach Tiruvalla by 9.30 PM, assuming that I am taking some break in the view points in between.

I know there are so many Bhpians are looking to drive down for Onam vacation to Kerala, anybody interested to try out the above mentioned route?
I will be doing this trip by this Saturday,

I need a small help guys,

From salem to Pollachi, I can see a road going from Perumanallur, before Avinashi, towards Tiruppur. And also a road from Avinashi to Palladam bypassing Thiruppur. Which will be good one to take.

Thanks
S-G
Old 18th August 2010, 12:49   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect. I will do that. Does anyone have any more details on road conditions and dos and donts?
There are some Bhpians traveled in that route from Banglore last weekend, Please see the details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...niagara-7.html
Old 19th August 2010, 09:51   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Pls, can anyone provide me the road condition on...
a. Wadakkanchery (Thrissur) - Shoranur - Palappuram - Pattambi - Perinthalmanna - Angadipuram?
b. Palakkad - Mundur - Kongad - Cherplassery - Perinthalmanna - Angadipuram

We tried booking rooms at Angadipuram, but we couldn't get one. So we intend to drive from one of these places where we've relatives.

Also pls suggest me a better route, if the above one is not so good as I read the above route from Google. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks